Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2020, 22:35   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Review: BMW (F44) 2-Series GranCoupe 220d

Likes;

- Engine & Gearbox Performance remains STRONG.
- Interiors are very well put together and driver focussed.
- Features & Tech Offered feels up to date & sufficiently future ready.
- I personally like the Exteriors (Especially in the M Sport trim) & the overall GranCoupe-ness of this package.

Dislikes;

- Space is tight for the rear passengers.
- Ride Quality is below average courtesy the 18" Rims & Runflats.
- Value proposition thanks to it being closely priced to the 3'er is low.
- Handling & Steering is good for a FWD car surely & a good attempt BUT it Needed an AWD system at this price (& torque level), would have changed a lot of psyche around this car & could have attracted the enthusiasts as well.

Video;

Platform;

- In 2014 BMW made a bold decision by doing away with RWD & launching for the 1st time ever a FWD BMW in the form of the 2 Series Active Tourer. That platform where in the 1st wave of FWD BMWs rolled in was the UKL platform however this (2GC) platform is the updated version of the UKL Platform & BMW term it as the FAAR (Frontantriebsarchitektur) Platform.

- The FAAR platform is mostly used in all the new generation FWD BMW's & Mini's. In India we have seen this platform on the current FWD X1 because this platform also adapts to AWD X-Drive layouts. The packaging of this FAAR platform has been designed in such a way that this can accommodate the regular IC engine, Hybrids as well as full EV's in 1 single platform.

- There's a Rumour that Jaguar-LR will be using this FAAR platform for their future FWD models.

2 Series Nomenclature Confusion, FWD & RWD Layouts;

The 2 series coupe (F22/23) we know & also the F87 M2/M2C (Currently on sale in India) are not based on this platform even though they're nomenclatured as the 2 series & they are RWD & will continue to remain RWD as they're new derivations will be based on the CLAR platform which is for future RWD models.

Engine Performance;

Review: BMW (F44) 2-Series GranCoupe 220d-screen-shot-20201226-7.53.46-pm.png

- 2 L Turbo Diesel, Specifications: 188 HP & 400 NM.

- 0-100 Km/h comes up in 7.5 Seconds (Factory Quoted).

- The Engine is this car is the same 20d engine found in cars like the 620d GT or 520d or x3 20d or 320d hence thats a good thing but the best thing is that its not detuned & gets the same output as the other cars which adds loads of fun factor to the 2 GC.

- The beauty about this motor is that its always enthusiastic & at the same time very efficient.

- Overall the fun factor because of this diesel motor in the 2 Series GC is very respectable.

Gearbox;

- The BMW 2 Series GranCoupe uses the GA8G45 Aisin Gearbox.

- Aisin seems to be a the supplier for FWD BMW's whereas the RWD's mostly are paired with ZF's on most occasions.

- So yes the box is good enough to match the engine's capabilities but still ZF units do feel faster. In this case The transmission on most occasions prefers smoothness over speed.

Suspension & Steering;

Review: BMW (F44) 2-Series GranCoupe 220d-screen-shot-20201226-10.04.17-pm.png

- The Suspension has been tuned well for a good mix of Handling & Ride balance but the low profile tyres compromise the ride quality however we will get to that later.

- The rear suspension being a multi link has allowed the 2GC to get the the ride & handling balance which it has.

- Also at high speeds its very BMW like & always feels poised and stable.

- Steering is a typical BMW unit & is nice & fat, does feel great to hold & decently communicative.

- The ratios feel direct enough & while in the Sport mode with acceleration & speed does weigh up accordingly, whereas in Comfort or Eco does free up for the City.

Handling;

Review: BMW (F44) 2-Series GranCoupe 220d-screen-shot-20201226-10.07.32-pm.png

- Gran Coupe. The word ' Gran ' Matters as many people may mis represent this as a Grand Tourer which this isnt. The terminology Gran Coupe was coined for the 4 door version of the coupes. Coupes are supposed to be sporty & similarly the Gran Coupes are expected to be sporty handlers as well & so is the 2GC.

- The Handling is good & i feel this car doesnt feel like an entry level car thanks to the overall tuning of the suspension & the proportions (may be thanks to the Aerodynamics too) of the car.

- Do note that this same platform underpins a few Mini's hence genetically the 2 Series GranCoupe should handle very well & it does shine on most instances till you start losing tyre grip due to understeer thanks to the 400 NM engine upfront.

- Overall is it as sporty as a RWD ? Hell not ! But the 2 Series Gran Coupe is 'sporty' in its own FWD way.

Ride Quality;

Thanks to the BMWness in the chassis & suspension the 2GC feels very solid at high speeds but the low profile run flats have made things difficult for the suspension to deliver. But still I appreciate BMW India to offer 18"ers & not compromise on the looks but the 1st time run flat users will have to be careful over bad roads & potholes or make sure to have the tyre damage included in their insurance for a free replacement. Overall ride quality levels in this M Sport trim remains below average at low speeds in city but does get upto average levels at high speed on highways.

Review: BMW (F44) 2-Series GranCoupe 220d-m-sport.jpg

Exteriors;

Review: BMW (F44) 2-Series GranCoupe 220d-390b5d02874b4dfb99bd1408e1f4e7b2.jpg

- The 2 Series GranCoupe has a very sporty, wide & low slung 4-Door Coupe Stance.

- The frameless windows are really desirable.

- Up front the traditional kidney grilles joint from the middle are of a good size to compliment the slightly angled headlights.

- The overall flow of the roofline gracefully allows Coupe like styling & people will find it to be a premium offering.

- The only bit i dislike about the exteriors are the tail lights which IMO are similar to the X6's but on the 2GC could have been better shaped / sharply designed (At-least from the side)

Review: BMW (F44) 2-Series GranCoupe 220d-209abacb90a244dd82737edd091d0fac.jpg

Interiors;

Review: BMW (F44) 2-Series GranCoupe 220d-screen-shot-20201226-10.08.25-pm.png

- The Interiors are well appointed and like any BMW are driver focussed for sure.

- Thanks to a huge panoramic sunroof the cabin 'feels' airy.

- The rear seat as expectedly is not spacious.

- iDrive 7 is very intuitive as expected, I also loved the ambient lighting design.

- The overall layout of the Dashboard, iDrive controller, Gear Selector etc. is pretty much identical to the larger 3 series.

Miscellaneous Thoughts/Observations;

- Interior Quality is top notch.
- Loved the alloy wheel design.
- Braking Performance is stellar.
- This 220d Engine is the same B47D20.
- Engine Sounds very good for a 4cyl Diesel.
- The Traction Control best kept switched ON.
- Engine Start/Stop Fuel Saving function was very smooth.
- Another possible reason for selecting Aisin over ZF is that the Engine is transversely mounted.
- Petrol variant (probably a 20i) should launch too in the coming months & may be priced under the 220d.

Final Word;

I personally love the way it looks, both the exteriors as well as interiors. But now its time to address the elephant in the room which is the pricing. Many people are constantly comparing this to the 3 series & off course why wouldn't they as its priced very close to the 3 series. But if we try & understand what the 2 Series GranCoupe is, that its actually a 1 series based Gran Coupe & hence its called the 2 Series GranCoupe, similarly the 3 Series based Gran Coupe is called the 4 Series Gran Coupe. Gran Coupes are always priced above their regular sedan counterparts at a premium. Hence as a package what this GranCoupe offers is a definite interesting choice for the young consumers out there of an entry level BMW Sedan. The purists may/should still extend their budget & pick the 3 Series.

Last edited by karan561 : 26th December 2020 at 23:04.
karan561 is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 10:46   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Review: BMW (F44) 2-Series GranCoupe 220d

Great review, Karan! Thanks a ton for sharing. With the well-articulated pros & cons, we will add your review to our homepage reviews box

Review: BMW (F44) 2-Series GranCoupe 220d-screenshot-20201227-10.40.02.png

I'm not hot on the 2-Series because of its price. The OTR in Bombay is an eye-watering 48 lakhs, and that's for the starting variant! Totally INSANE pricing.

That said, once the massive 10-lakh rupee discounts inevitably start, I might take a spin in one. Until then, I don't think anyone is buying the 2-Series. A 3-Series is the no-brainer alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Handling & Steering is good for a FWD car surely & a good attempt BUT it Needed an AWD system at this price (& torque level), would have changed a lot of psyche around this car & could have attracted the enthusiasts as well.
Nice to hear. While we all prefer RWD, FWD isn't all that bad if the car is well-tuned. I recently had a long drive in the Volvo S60 and quite enjoyed it.

Thanks again for sharing.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 15:07   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great review, Karan! Thanks a ton for sharing. With the well-articulated pros & cons, we will add your review to our homepage reviews box
Thanks GTO for your appreciation and homepage placement of this review
Quote:
That said, once the massive 10-lakh rupee discounts inevitably start, I might take a spin in one.
Not sure a 20% price cut / discounting would start anytime soon, but let's hope for the best.
Quote:
Nice to hear. While we all prefer RWD, FWD isn't all that bad if the car is well-tuned. I recently had a long drive in the Volvo S60 and quite enjoyed it.
Yes, Just went through the post/thread. Good to know you enjoyed the s60.
Also, the s60 was super delayed as this generation has been on sale since late 2018 and getting launched in India in late 2020. Interestingly the 2 Series GranCoupe went into production around March 2020 globally and good to see it got launched with local production here in India by October 2020 which is a very fast product launch, indicating BMW India's trust in the product (2GC) for India.
Quote:
Thanks again for sharing.

Last edited by karan561 : 27th December 2020 at 15:36. Reason: Adding New Information.
karan561 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 10:15   #4
BHPian

I really loved the review. A nice car to own someday. An entry level Beemer for Indian markets was definitely needed.
Kochikaran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 15:53   #5
BHPian

Awesome post, Karan! Your love for BMW shows clearly in your report.

Apart from the pricing, what confuses me is the tyre setup on this car. I was under the impression that they were 225/45/R17s....but what standard make and size of 18s are they anyway? And what would the upsize be (if required)?!

Last edited by TheHelix0202 : 28th December 2020 at 15:56.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 16:17   #6
Team-BHP Support

Exceptional, unbiased & detailed reviews of cars that don't have an official review have started going to our homepage reviews box. It's the ultimate stamp of trust from Team-BHP (as a platform) because lakhs of visitors every month check out reviews from there & make purchase decisions.

Your review has also gone here. Thank you so much for sharing .

Review: BMW (F44) 2-Series GranCoupe 220d-cr.png
Aditya is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 23:00   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kochikaran View Post
I really loved the review.
Thanks Kochikaran, glad you enjoyed the review.
Quote:
An entry level Beemer for Indian markets was definitely needed
I Agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Awesome post, Karan! Your love for BMW shows clearly in your report.
Thanks Helix.
Quote:
Apart from the pricing, what confuses me is the tyre setup on this car. I was under the impression that they were 225/45/R17s....but what standard make and size of 18s are they anyway? And what would the upsize be (if required)?!
225/40 R18 is the size & the make were Bridgestone Runflats IIRC. Not sure about the best upsize options & the best fit as i dont know how wide the rims were but 235 mm would fit. If upsize "size" not available then id say a move towards sticky non Runflat i.e. Tubeless tyres would make a good difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Exceptional, unbiased & detailed reviews of cars that don't have an official review have started going to our homepage reviews box. It's the ultimate stamp of trust from Team-BHP (as a platform) because lakhs of visitors every month check out reviews from there & make purchase decisions.
Your review has also gone here. Thank you so much for sharing
Aditya, thanks for your kind appreciation & the placement
Regards !
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 00:03   #8

On your final word..Not sure about the different trims available in India, but, in North America, the 2 and 4 series are traditionally 2 door/ coupes. The 4 door version of the the 2 and 4 series is called the GranCoupe so they're actually based on the same family/ series.

We don't have the 1 series here and the 3 series comes in sedan and GT. It's only the even numbered series that come in coupe and the grancoup design is based on the same even numbered series.
Old 30th December 2020, 14:35   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgovind View Post
On your final word..Not sure about the different trims available in India, but, in North America, the 2 and 4 series are traditionally 2 door/ coupes. The 4 door version of the the 2 and 4 series is called the GranCoupe so they're actually based on the same family/ series.
Thanks for sharing your inputs & N. America line up.

Quote:
We don't have the 1 series here and the 3 series comes in sedan and GT.
We too dont have the 1 series on sale currently but we did have it & that time it was a hatchback with RWD hence a pretty awesome combination if you think of it now
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 19:40   #10
Team-BHP Support

Nice little review Karan - very well done.
I did not like the new 2 GranCoupe when it first came out but after seeing a few on road, I am easy with the looks now. With the diesels diminishing (especially in the small car space), they should have got in the petrol variants; that would have also given a better sticker price.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 20:49   #11
BHPian

Fantastic review Karan!
Informative, Crisp and humorous as well. You have a knack for revealing surprising unheard of facts and figures about the cars you review.
Goes to show the amount of homework you do.

About the car, still not sold on this one, a G20 330i for me please
dean5545 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 14:41   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Nice little review Karan - very well done.
Thanks VB San
Quote:
I did not like the new 2 GranCoupe when it first came out but after seeing a few on road, I am easy with the looks now.
^ Same !
Quote:
With the diesels diminishing (especially in the small car space), they should have got in the petrol variants; that would have also given a better sticker price.
As far as i know a petrol variant will be introduced soon & should be priced under the current line up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Fantastic review Karan!
Informative, Crisp and humorous as well. You have a knack for revealing surprising unheard of facts and figures about the cars you review.Goes to show the amount of homework you do.
Thanks for the compliments Dean
The intro/start of the video was an actual ad campaign of BMW back in 2006 to sort of mock FWD competition (primarily Audi's).
Quote:
About the car, still not sold on this one, a G20 330i for me please
I can understand, All the best !

Last edited by karan561 : 2nd January 2021 at 14:43.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 16:15   #13
BHPian

I just finished a long-ish test drive of the 2GC here in Bombay and came away thinking, "I don't know what the hell I drove, but it wasn't a BMW."

BMW's whole ethos is to deliver a sporty, enthusiast-oriented driving performance. They do this with 50-50 weight distribution and either a purely RWD or RWD-biased drivetrain, with point-and-squirt dynamics, even on the bigger cars. In fact, in a 3-series, you don't even have to be driving fast to appreciate these attributes - they're that prevalent in the driving dynamics.

The 2GC 220d I just drove was none of these things.

Instead, in 220d guise at least, it's an overpriced mess of torque-steer and understeer in a cabin that's too small to comfortably accommodate even 4 adults and one child. I'm 5'10 and when I sat behind myself, my head was brushing against the headliner. You'd need to have your head examined if you buy this thing and you're chauffer-driven.

The shifts in 2GC also feel a lot slushier compared to the shifts in the 3 or 5 and perhaps this is why this thing doesn't feel as quick as a 320d.
A little more nimble because it's smaller? Sure.
But faster? Absolutely not.
I thought I might be imagining things, but luckily the sales rep had the brochure on him. The 2GC has the same 2.0L, 190hp mill as the 320, but while the 320d does the 0-100 in 6.8 seconds, why does the 2GC do it in 7.5?
Where did the extra second go?

If you ignore the interior (which is the same on all current Beemers) then this thing seems like a nicely built sedan with a BMW badge slapped on it.
I can't for the life of me imagine why any one would by this over the 3-series which is nicer to sit in, looks better, quicker, more practical, is RWD like a proper Beemer, and has a better gearbox.
ghostrider is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 18:49   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
The shifts in 2GC also feel a lot slushier compared to the shifts in the 3 or 5 and perhaps this is why this thing doesn't feel as quick as a 320d.
A little more nimble because it's smaller? Sure.
But faster? Absolutely not.
I thought I might be imagining things, but luckily the sales rep had the brochure on him. The 2GC has the same 2.0L, 190hp mill as the 320, but while the 320d does the 0-100 in 6.8 seconds, why does the 2GC do it in 7.5?
Where did the extra second go?
I imagine it's the Aisin gearbox + FWD in the 2GC that just cannot match the ZF8 & RWD combination in the 3.
itwasntme is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 15:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Neat, crisp review Karan - thank you for sharing. I really liked this new format of a concise review supplemented with a video!

Saw this car in the "Snapper Rock Blue Metallic" shade (what a mouthful!) in my vicinity. I was surprised how small it was irrespective of the GC moniker. I think it probably had even lesser room at the back than the Verna. But overall the car looks smart from rear 3 quarters, its the front that seems totally out of place esp. given how small the car is (sorry, just can't get past this!).

For 48lakhs, am really surprised someone actually picked it up. This is a car that makes the VW Polo GTI and Skoda VRS look VFM.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks