Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2011, 15:24   #1
BHPian

Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve - Rocking

Finally, Luck Favoured at Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve

I generally set my wakeup call at 7.50 a.m., so that I can get ready by 9.15 a.m. for office. Around 7.40 a.m., my cell phone rung. I was little upset but when it uttered the caller’s name while ringing i.e., Naren Mukherjee, I picked up and answered with half asleep - Hi Naren Sir.

Naren Sir – Hi, there is a plan for Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve for six drives.
I woke up immediately with excitement and look at my wife whether she is watching my reaction. She knows Naren Mukherjee means some kind of wildlife trip cooking. I was little scared because we just returned (not even 4 days) from Pench National Park, Madhya Pradesh. Still the tiredness has not gone and another trip.

Then, Naren Sir explained the trip details. Then the call ended with a subdued response from my side, but I told him that I will see. It was so exciting but I did not have courage to plan a trip soon. The added attraction was jungle ride in a self driven gypsy. Wow. My excitement was getting boundless but I controlled.

While having tea, I inform my wife about the plan. Then, I pretend and said her that i am not interested because we just back from a tour. She said, oh really, you are not interested? I said yes. However, sometimes, I used to tell her about the positive side of the tour like, cost effectiveness, good sightings going on at TATR etc etc.

After 3 days, again Naren Sir called and still I was confused. But by the time I had already convinced my second half. Finally, two days prior to the trip, I called up Naren Sir and Varun Thakkar, Nagpur that I am coming and will do all six drives. Then all bookings started. They said, they will pick me up from Nagpur Airport and drop me also, as we will be having a gypsy.

Finally, packed my bag and got ready. The day it got decided I could not sleep and the day before flying to Nagpur also. Got up at 4.00 a.m. and after a cup of tea, took bath and started from Airport to catch 6.40 a.m. flight.
Now a days, early morning check-ins and security check-ins is very crowded at Mumbai Airport. So please leave little early, if you have a morning flight from Mumbai Airport.

Flight was on time and reached Nagpur at 8.00 a.m. Called up Varun and he said he is reaching within 15 minutes with Naren Sir to pick me up. I had a wish to do Jungle safari with Naren Sir because, first time I saw a wildlife travelogue in BCMTouring by Naren Sir and that inspired me to this serious hobby now. Finally, reached Tadoba around 1.30 p.m. and checked-in to Resort Saras. Had a quick lunch and started for safari. But the self driven gypsy jungle drive could not materialize because the gypsy we got had a self start problem, which occurred during our way to Tadoba from Nagpur. We hired a gypsy. Discuss the jungle ride plan which route to take and all.
During summer, tiger sighting was going on at different places of TATR. So, strategically we planned and this time it was a grand success.

So, lets start the afternoon drive i.e., First Drive to Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve, though it was third time I was at Tadoba. So far my luck was not so good at Tadoba about Tiger sightings.

We entered the gate and as decided, went to the Telia lake, where a mating pair is on their mission, since last one month for improving Tiger population, so that our count will improve as well as sighting too. Lets, see how far they succeed. We took a round but no sighting. Suddenly, came to know that the male tiger is sleeping on the water of Telia Lake. Actually, we did not expect that we will have sighting after 15 minutes of the afternoon drive. It was a miss from our side. After getting that message, we returned to the spot and took position. The huge male tiger was cooling himself in the water at other side of the lake. Light was against and there was no movement. We sat at the other end in the scorching heat for two hours with the expectation that he will get up and walk. He took all our patience and we were not ready to leave this guy and go somewhere else. Finally, at 5.20 p.m. (after a wait of two and half hours), he got up and then the show began.

So, Lets have some teaser pictures.

Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve - Rocking-tadoba-day-2-mor17-1024x768.jpg

Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve - Rocking-tadoba-day-125-1024x768.jpg

Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve - Rocking-tadoba-day-2-mor22-1024x768.jpg

Main course coming up.

Cheers!

Subrat
Subrat Seet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 15:55   #2
BHPian

Re: Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve - Rocking

Thats an absolutely fantastic picture of the Tiger and Tigress. Puts the size perspective of a male vs. female. Thanks for sharing!
Old 27th April 2011, 16:11   #3
BHPian

Superb stuff.
You never told me about this trip. Why so ?
Keep them coming.

Dr. A Ghosh
Old 27th April 2011, 16:19   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
Thats an absolutely fantastic picture of the Tiger and Tigress. Puts the size perspective of a male vs. female. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Rishi. Fantastic question or observation. I was stunned by the size of the male. The female is so cute and small. So far, i have seen three Male tigers. Two in Bandhavgarh i.e., B2 (the king of Tala) and Bamera (New Male, may take over the Tala). This Tadoba Male i.e.,Wagdoh male is huge, biggest ever i have seen.

Interesting thing is this mating pair is mating since last one and half month. To my knowledge it is surprising. I have read some books by Valmik Thappar and Lee Server etc., which stated that tiger generally do mating for one week at a row and does not leave each other for that period. After that the male leave the female to take care of his offsprings entirely by female. Though family bondings have been seen at Ranthambore and all.

But this marathon mating is unusual. While our wait at Telia lake, we heard mating growl, which is like thunder. Entire Telia lake birds used to fly with the sound. Here is the picture of size perspectives. The male, i will upload the female later.

Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve - Rocking-tadoba-male02-1024x768.jpg
Old 27th April 2011, 16:20   #5
BHPian

One more Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve Travelouge to read. The excitement never ceases the moment I see TATR or Pench in the Title. Tadoba/Pench virus seems ot have spread big time on Team-BHP. TATR spell is taking its toll on wildlife enthusiasts every now and then.

Subrat, you speaking about Main Course coming up. I would say the appetizers aren't been served yet. What you gave was a whiff of what to expect here. Serve us Appetizers, Starters, Entrees, Main Course, Deserts, Mocktails and everything under the roof.
Old 27th April 2011, 16:25   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
Superb stuff.
You never told me about this trip. Why so ?
Keep them coming.

Dr. A Ghosh
Hi! I didn't wanted to disturb the Brand Ambasador of Pench National Park. Joking man. Hahaha.

Hardly i had time to think for this trip. Naren Da called me and i said no and then suddenly decided to leave and the result is this. I am really happy with Tadoba this time. Finally luck Favoured. Surely post more.

We will have monsoon dhamaka at Tadoba.
Old 27th April 2011, 16:33   #7
BHPian

Subrat, you speaking about Main Course coming up. I would say the appetizers aren't been served yet. What you gave was a whiff of what to expect here. Serve us Appetizers, Starters, Entrees, Main Course, Deserts, Mocktails and everything under the roof.[/quote]

Everything at your service. Sure i will serve. Whether this will do as appetiser Sir.

Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve - Rocking-tadoba-day-2-mor15-1024x768.jpg

Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve - Rocking-tadoba-day-120-1024x768.jpg

First drive first picture - the last one - Male cooling off and took off my patience in the scorching heat for two and half hours.
Subrat Seet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 16:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subrat Seet View Post
Hi! I didn't wanted to disturb the Brand Ambasador of Pench National Park. Joking man. Hahaha.

Hardly i had time to think for this trip. Naren Da called me and i said no and then suddenly decided to leave and the result is this. I am really happy with Tadoba this time. Finally luck Favoured. Surely post more.

We will have monsoon dhamaka at Tadoba.

Aha.....
Anyway, very soon I will turn my attentions to Tadoba,. I am getting a gypsy prepared for me for Tadoba with inputs from Fazal saab !!!

Tadoba - I am coming soon .
Old 27th April 2011, 18:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Subrat,
You bet Tadoba is rocking in this thread!
The mating pair..Oh yes! the male is a mammoth sized one, and a mating pair, not easy to sight and get on a camera and also Subrat, you could demonstrate the size of the male by using the female as reference scale.

Is it the same male (solo, standing by the waterhole) in Amol's thread with the disfigured face? Seems so.
The eagle with the hare in its claws is a great shot, shows the size.

Let more come in.

Dr. Ghosh,
Will mail you the schematics soon.
Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 27th April 2011 at 18:36.
Old 27th April 2011, 19:24   #10
BHPian

Subrat Sir,
Amazing pictures, waiting for the rest eagerly.
Regards

Fazal Sir,
It does look like the same Male tiger with the scar on his face.
Regards
Old 27th April 2011, 19:58   #11
BHPian

Subrat, this is just WOW!!! You had a great sighting.

Its quite strange that the mating pair has been together for more than a month, but they've been a photographer's delight for sure!

I had to cut short my plan at Tadoba to 3 drives only since the safari bookings were full during the Good Friday weekend. But its good to see the story continue through your pictures
Old 27th April 2011, 20:55   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Subrat,
You bet Tadoba is rocking in this thread!
The mating pair..Oh yes! the male is a mammoth sized one, and a mating pair, not easy to sight and get on a camera and also Subrat, you could demonstrate the size of the male by using the female as reference scale.
Thank you Fazal Sir. Yeah the female is very small compared to the male. But she is a beauty. Dam good colour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coooolcat21 View Post
Subrat Sir,
Amazing pictures, waiting for the rest eagerly.
Regards
Thanks Cooool. Sure i will uload more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Subrat, this is just WOW!!! You had a great sighting.

Its quite strange that the mating pair has been together for more than a month, but they've been a photographer's delight for sure!

I had to cut short my plan at Tadoba to 3 drives only since the safari bookings were full during the Good Friday weekend. But its good to see the story continue through your pictures
Thanks Amol for likings.

Just to inform you that First time i visited Tadoba in August 2010 and then a group of my collegues planned in December 2010. In December trip everybody backed out, one guy was there with me and came to office with bags and he had to drop just one hour before the train depart. That trip was a complete failure for me. There was no sightings. One drive i did not click a single photo.

Finally, Luck favoured this time. For the first time i planned a tour with such a short notice. Hardly i had time. But the result is here. I am in love with Tadoba. Best time now. Pack your bag and go. Dr. Ghosh has already planned for tomorrow.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th April 2011 at 10:19.
Old 27th April 2011, 21:23   #13
BHPian

Pictures from the first drive.

Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve - Rocking-tadoba-day-121-1024x768.jpg

Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve - Rocking-tadoba-day-122-1024x768.jpg

Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve - Rocking-tadoba-day-123-1024x768.jpg

Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve - Rocking-tadoba-day-124-1024x768.jpg

Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve - Rocking-tadoba-day-126-1024x768.jpg

Here is the queen.

Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve - Rocking-tadoba-day-127-1024x768.jpg

We would have dies out of boredome, if these guys were not there.

Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve - Rocking-tadoba-day-128-1024x768.jpg

Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve - Rocking-tadoba-day-129-1024x768.jpg

Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve - Rocking-tadoba-day-130-1024x768.jpg

Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve - Rocking-tadoba-day-131-1024x768.jpg
Subrat Seet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 22:42   #14
BHPian

Visiting Tadoba tomorrow evening on a reconnaissance mission.
It seems you had tricky lighting for these shots. An ND+polariser may have helped cut the glares of the water around telia.

Go on.....

Dr. A Ghosh

P.s: fazal saab - need to finalize the gypsy desigin asap.

Last edited by abheekg : 27th April 2011 at 22:44.
Old 28th April 2011, 10:14   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
Visiting Tadoba tomorrow evening on a reconnaissance mission.
It seems you had tricky lighting for these shots. An ND+polariser may have helped cut the glares of the water around telia.

Go on.....

Dr. A Ghosh
Light was against and AF was difficult due to glarres in the water. That is the fact about wildlife photography. Everything beyond your control. Right, ND+polariser would have been helpful.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th April 2011 at 10:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks