Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2011, 23:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!

I had missed out some pics we had taken in Wayanad and on our way back to Bangalore.

This picture of a buffalo grazing in the field with row of banana plants as backdrop is my favourite. Notice a small bird riding on buffalo

Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-dsc_0105.jpg

These two pictures were taken during our drive to Pookat. I loved the sun playing hide and seek in the clouds.

Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-dsc_0122.jpg
Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-dsc_0125.jpg

This was taken early in the morning on NICE road. The clouds in the horizon looked like mountain ranges and made it a fascinating scene.

Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-dsc_0064.jpg

These following two pictures were taken near Malavalli. The complete area was resplendant with green hues with pelicans breaking the montony of the colour.

Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-dsc_0140.jpg
Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-dsc_0141.jpg

Whenever i passed through Gubbi, after Tumkur on my way to Tirthahalli, i was fascinated by this cute little church. Look at the harmony of colours and the beautiful architecture.
Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-dsc03188.jpg
Old 14th May 2011, 23:22   #17
BHPian

Fantasitc pics again Fauji
So fresh and green!
Old 15th May 2011, 22:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

The beauty of Malnad has to be experinced once it rains and I just wanted to share these monsoon scenes in Tirthahalli and surroundings through these pictures. These pictures were taken in August last year but i think they connect with the present story.

This is the scene you see whereve you drive in Malnad when the rains start!

Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-img00109201008211654.jpg

This is the picture of Nagara fort complex as you approach it. The green foreground with a small lake provides a kind of beauty that can only be experienced in Malnad.

Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-dsc02854.jpg

Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-dsc02856.jpg

This is the entrance to the fort.

Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-dsc02857.jpg

As you drive from Nagara towards Nittur and further down for the ferry launch, you will be greeted by this magnificent expanse of back water from Linganamakki dam.

Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-dsc02861.jpg

Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-dsc02863.jpg

Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-dsc02865.jpg

Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-dsc02868.jpg
You encounter numerous streams when you drive in Malnad during monsson.

Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-dsc02858.jpg

These pictures were taken at Bheemanakatte a small hamlet on Tunga river near Tirthahalli. Tunga creates many sandy beaches on her way and Bheemanakatte has one of the largest.

Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-dsc02879.jpg

Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-dsc02882.jpg

This is home of one of the famous poets of Kannada and India and Jnanapeeth awardee Dr. K V PUttappa fondly known as KUVEMPU. This is preserved as an excellent memorial and museaum for the poet. It is a heritage home which is well preserved and has lot of architectural value as well. Next to the memorial is KAVI SHYLA meaning "Poets Hill", the place where KUVEMPU used to spend time as young poet which inpsired him to write outstanding poetry he is known for. The sun set from this pace over Sahyadris is beautiful.

Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-img00098201008211552.jpg

Tirthahalli and its surroundings offer any visitor a wide variety of options - adventure, nature, wild life, heritage etc. The road from Bangalore is fantastic and can be comfortably reached in six hours drive with break. The same time one would take to go to Chennai but less than what one would take to go to Pondy or Ooty.
Old 18th May 2011, 11:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
Fantasitc pics again Fauji
So fresh and green!
Thanks Figo.

It is amazing to see the turn around in all these places once they have first showers. I was in Tirthahalli in March this year and it was a collage of brown and green. Come mango showers and the only colour we saw in May was green. ( I am going again this weekend ) This is also a good time to experience glorius scenes of sun playing hide and seek amidst clouds!!
Old 19th May 2011, 17:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

When we talk about monsoons and rains nothing can beat the experience of it in western Ghats, specially in Malnad region of Karnataka.

Take a look at the beautiful pics of Mani Dam near Tirthahalli taken by Rakesh Holla, an avid trekker and a friend. Also look at his well written blog with nice pics of the Malnad region.

www.rakeshholla.blogspot.com

Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-mani.jpg

Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-mani-2.jpg

Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-mani-3.jpg

Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-mani-4.jpg

Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-malnad.jpg

These two pics are from Kodachadri - from his blog - where you can see brillinat sun set and sun rises!!

Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-kodachadri.jpg

Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-kodachadri-2.jpg

Last edited by Fauji : 19th May 2011 at 17:21.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 18:57   #21
Team-BHP Support

Fauji sir.

Amazing snaps! (Of the water bodies)

Few questions from my side:

1. The oft repeated question : if I have to visit Kollur, then how is the Tirthahalli-Nagar-Nittur-Kollur road? The reason to choose this route is obvious from your log! We can enjoy the backwaters on the way.

2. I was also of opinion that one can go to the Mani reservoir as a digression from the above route? Is it possible to reach Tirthahalli from Nagar via Mani reservoir?

3. The plan can be:

Blr-Shimoga-Tirthahalli-Nagar-Nittur-Kollur
Then
Kollor-Vandse-Haladi-Mani-Tirthahalli-Shimoga-Blr (Is this possible?)

4. Last but not least, any permits needed to visit all these places?
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 21:30   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Fauji sir.

Amazing snaps! (Of the water bodies)

Few questions from my side:

1. The oft repeated question : if I have to visit Kollur, then how is the Tirthahalli-Nagar-Nittur-Kollur road? The reason to choose this route is obvious from your log! We can enjoy the backwaters on the way.

2. I was also of opinion that one can go to the Mani reservoir as a digression from the above route? Is it possible to reach Tirthahalli from Nagar via Mani reservoir?

3. The plan can be:

Blr-Shimoga-Tirthahalli-Nagar-Nittur-Kollur
Then
Kollor-Vandse-Haladi-Mani-Tirthahalli-Shimoga-Blr (Is this possible?)

4. Last but not least, any permits needed to visit all these places?
Hi Ampere,

I have been upto Nittur from Tirthahalli via Hosanagara. This was after rains last year and roads were pretty decent. I hope the road beyond Nittur to Kollur should be good as it is a regular road for people travelling from Shimoga or Chikkamagalur to Kollur.

You want to do Bangalore - Kollur and stay put in Kollur for the night ? I would advise you to stay in Tirthahalli which has good options and do a day trip to Kollur from there. That way you will also get opportunity to visit Nagara fort as well as Sigandur temple.

There are two places from where the lauches operate. One is from Sigandur and other one is close to Nittur (forgot the name of the place). Frequency of ferries in Sigandur is better than Nittur which is erratic. We had to wait for one and half hour on the banks of backwaters. But backwaters are fabulous and give Periyar in Thekkady run for money!!

Mani dam was a discovery!! I was looking at the map and found this small reservoir close to Tirthahalli. Locals as usual did not give much importance. When i was googling, i happenned to see this guy's blog and it looked beautiful. When i go next time i am sure to visit the place.

I dont think you have to do Vandse route. You can do Kollur - Nittur - Nagara - Hulikal - Yadur - Mani - Tirthahalli.

Check out this link

Google Maps

I am not sure of road condition between Nagara and Yadur.

Alternately, you can do this as day trip and combine with a visit to Kavaledurga - look at the post on Kavaledurga on this guy's blog - which is a nice place close to Tirthahalli and on the way to Mani. I am not sure whether one needs permit. But getting permit may not be difficult.

Here is my reccommendtaion

Day 1 - Bangalore - Tirthahalli. Stay put in Tirthahalli. On the way visit Gajanur dam, Mandagadde Sanctuary and also Amritapura - near Tarikere - which has nice Hoysala temple. Reach Tirthahalli for Lunch. After lunch visit Kavi Shyla and Agumbe for Sunset.

Day 2 - Tirthahalli - Nagara fort - Kollur - Sigandur - Tirthahalli

Day 3 - Kundadari ( before breakfast) - Kavale durga - Mani dam - Bheemanakatte. Can leave after lunch back to Bangalore.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 21:41   #23
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for a detailed answer. So how long does it take from Tirthahalli to Kollur?
I had plans of Kollur for quite some time. The other way I was look (checking with Samurai-san ) is double up Kollur with Udupi.

But when I saw these snaps, this also may be a good option as temple visits can be added with some other good vistas.
Old 19th May 2011, 22:35   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thanks for a detailed answer. So how long does it take from Tirthahalli to Kollur?
I had plans of Kollur for quite some time. The other way I was look (checking with Samurai-san ) is double up Kollur with Udupi.

But when I saw these snaps, this also may be a good option as temple visits can be added with some other good vistas.
Tirthahalli - Kollur should be one and half hours. Alternately, you can do Bangalore - Mangalore - Udupi, stay at Udupi. Next day early morning visit Kollur and the drive towards Tirthahalli after visisting Sigandur, back waters and Nagara fort and stay in Tirthahalli. If roads are good you can also visist mani dam on the way before Tirthahalli.

I am attaching these pics taken at ferry launch near Nittur. I had faithful Fiesta then!

Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-dsc02872.jpg

Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-dsc02873.jpg

This is the road from Nittur to ferry launch. It was newly laid road then.Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-dsc02859.jpg

Alternately, if you dont want to come to Tirthahalli, take ferry at Sigandur and cross over to Sagar and then drive back to Bangalore after visiting famous temple at Ikkeri which is on outskirts of Sagar.
Old 20th May 2011, 11:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

Superb pics of Theerthally and surrounding areas Fauji.
I feel so nostalgic about this part of Malenaadu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
, take ferry at Sigandur and cross over to Sagar
No exactly Singandur, it's Kalasavally. Sigandur is around 5kms from here.
Yes the frequency of the Barge in this place is quite high, but depends on the traffic too.
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2011, 14:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Superb pics of Theerthally and surrounding areas Fauji.
I feel so nostalgic about this part of Malenaadu.

No exactly Singandur, it's Kalasavally. Sigandur is around 5kms from here.
Yes the frequency of the Barge in this place is quite high, but depends on the traffic too.
Thanks sushurtha. I did not know the name of the place.

I happenned to see profusion of red - Gulmohars in full bloom - between Kadur and Birur when i went to Tirthahalli yesterday. Looked lovely. Here is a picture i took in my Blackberry.
Attached Thumbnails
Fauji’s Drivologues – Chasing Mango showers in WAYANAD and MALNAD!-gul.jpg  

Old 17th November 2011, 10:02   #27
BHPian

Nice travelogue faujibhai . I'm planning a rip in January
Old 17th November 2011, 14:01   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
Nice travelogue faujibhai . I'm planning a rip in January
Thank you sir. Glad to know you liked it. If you are planning a trip to Malnad or Wayanad , pls let me if I can be of some help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks