Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2011, 17:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

BOSS goes to Ooty!!

Hi All,

As it was getting too hot in HYD and also with Kids school vacation coming up close, I decided last week to head to Ooty with family for a good drive!

So, took leave booked hotels and started our family summer vacation to Ooty on 16th May.

1. 16th May: Started from HYD to BLR on the wonderful highway. Left HYD at 8am and reached BLR by 4:00pm to my friends place.. We cruised at ‘happy’ driving speeds probably averaging 100KMPH with 2 or 3 stops thrown in with kids. The toll fees incurred was Rs.438 one way
2. 17th May: Started from BLR to Bandipur/Masnagudi resorts and did the NICE road to reach the MYS highway. Left BLR at 7am as wanted to have breakfast at Kamat Lokaruchi(my favorite from a long time!), reached Bandipur by 1pm. Booked Bear mountain resorts in Masnagudi, checked in and had lunch. The resort is awesome with good food and great service. I would go back there for sure. Did night safari and all in all spotted elephants, bisons, deer, samba deer, peacocks, peahens, langurs etc. Night had fun with bon fire and dance at the resort. Kids enjoyed the night safari in the local open tops jeeps

3. 18th May: Had breakfast and checked out of Masnagudi at 8am and drove the Ghats to Ooty to reach Ooty by 11:30 am. Went straight to Boating in the Ooty lake, visited Rose gardens and took a break for lunch. Then drove to Doddabetta to visit the tea factory and meet an old friend there. The time was around 5:30 pm and we decided that we will drive back to BLR and not stay at Ooty as it was too crowded and was claustrophobic. Reached BLR at 12:30 am after having dinner at Mysore

4. 19th May: Started to HYD at 10am and could only leave outskirts at 12:45pm after breakfast at 10:30am. Reached HYD at 7:30 pm and met Naveen of TBHP BLR enroute

We had car fridge which was stocked with kids food and water. I removed the 3rd row seat in my Scorpio and made space for luggage. The car is a breeze on the highway and is good on ghats. My windshield got a chip & a crack on the way from BLR to MYSORE as a marble sized stone came one bounce from a tipper lorry and hit the glass at 110+ speeds. Damage of Rs. 8000(5000 my share after insurance claim and 3000 loss of No claim Bonus!). I also got my side view mirrors replaced with the refreshed ones and they provide better, bigger view.

Total Kms: 1963, Mileage: 12 KMPL

Some pictures below for your pleasure. Uploading it in two batches.
Attached Thumbnails
BOSS goes to Ooty!!-1-boss-cruising-150-speeds.jpg  

BOSS goes to Ooty!!-2-boss-enroute-blr-hyd-glossy.jpg  

BOSS goes to Ooty!!-3-bosss-gleam.jpg  

BOSS goes to Ooty!!-4-boss-nice-road-blr-mysore.jpg  

BOSS goes to Ooty!!-5-boss-way-masnagudi-mysore.jpg  

BOSS goes to Ooty!!-6-boss-shining-bandipur-entrance.jpg  

BOSS goes to Ooty!!-7-bandipur-welcomes-boss.jpg  

BOSS goes to Ooty!!-9-boss-crouching-tiger.jpg  

BOSS goes to Ooty!!-10-boss-deciding-its-prey.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by getsurya : 26th May 2011 at 17:12.
Old 26th May 2011, 17:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: BOSS goes to Ooty!!

Second set of pictures!
Attached Thumbnails
BOSS goes to Ooty!!-12-peacock-welcoming-boss.jpg  

BOSS goes to Ooty!!-13-boss-resting-bear-mountain-resort-masnagudi.jpg  

BOSS goes to Ooty!!-14-boss-enroute-ooty.jpg  

BOSS goes to Ooty!!-15-boss-ready-climb.jpg  

BOSS goes to Ooty!!-16-boss-entrance-ooty-kids-carrot-break.jpg  

BOSS goes to Ooty!!-17-boss-tea-factory-doddabetta.jpg  

BOSS goes to Ooty!!-19-met-naveen-tbhp-blr-hyd-trip-home.jpg  

BOSS goes to Ooty!!-20-boss-gets-new-windshield-upon-return-hyd.jpg  

BOSS goes to Ooty!!-21-boss-gets-new-refresh-side-view-mirrors.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: 11 BOSS gets hit with a one bounce marble sized gravel stone from a tipper lorry,Windshield damage!. (24.7 KB, 406 views)
Old 26th May 2011, 17:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Don't know what to write after reading the details

I am kinda shocked that your Ooty vacation was just a drive through. I know it must have been real crowded this time their but to drive their and not spend a single day!!!!
After all, this vacation was supposed to be "escape from the Hyderabad heat vacation".
I can't even think of such a situation. Besides spending a night at Masinagudi you didn't spent time anywhere.
But then if you and your family enjoyed it thoroughly ,nothing like it.
And let me commend you on the photos. They have come out good. Looking forward for more photos.
Old 26th May 2011, 17:34   #4
BHPian

GetSurya,

That was quite a short trip. Incidentally even I started for Ooty on 16th with the overnight stay at B'lore and returned on 21st. Should be penning down my travelogue soon.

Cheers,
Old 26th May 2011, 17:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Fordmanchau, you are correct. It was more meant to be a drive than stay at Ooty. I would rather spend a week at Coorg than Ooty for its serenity and free from crowd compared to Ooty!

I love Madikeri and have property there from long time now as I would love to retire there. I spend atleast a week or two every two years at Madikeri for destressind and detoxifying myself.

Last edited by getsurya : 26th May 2011 at 17:36.
Old 26th May 2011, 19:40   #6
BHPian

BOSS is looking great in the pictures Sir. I admire the way you have maintained it..spic and shining at all times.

The front angle shot looks the best, highlighting the awesome road presence it has.
Old 30th May 2011, 12:24   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Fordmanchau, you are correct. It was more meant to be a drive than stay at Ooty. I would rather spend a week at Coorg than Ooty for its serenity and free from crowd compared to Ooty!
I too agree that Ooty is too commercialized and crowded. Even a room in a decent hotel costs the earth.

From the trio, i found Coonor to be relaxing and rejuvenating.
Old 30th May 2011, 12:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i found Coonor to be relaxing and rejuvenating.
Yes Benbsb, I would like coonor over Ooty. Nothing to beat Madikeri, though! I might be possessive on that one!
Old 30th May 2011, 13:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

It is extremely crowded, especially, the Saturdays and Sundays can be punishing and make one regret on why they choose ooty as a holiday destination.

If you are not too keen to see the gardens and the boats, a better choice is to take the roads less travelled in and around Ooty - for instance - the drive to Kothagiri or from Coonoor, you can drive up to Kinnakorai. The route is serene , the roads narrow, but smooth and winding and the weather kind. The best part ofcourse is that you dont end up in any crowd at all. Stop where you want, shoot what you care ( camera ofcourse ) and enjoy the scenery.

@Surya - you seem to have had a good drive, but for the minor skirmish of the windscreen. Hope you and your family enjoyed the drive.
Old 30th May 2011, 14:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you seem to have had a good drive, but for the minor skirmish of the windscreen. Hope you and your family enjoyed the drive.
Hi Krishna,

Many thanks and yes we had a great drive and fun.

I agree with you that the so called tourist destinations have become too crowded and I too have become old- cannot stand too much crowd!
Old 30th May 2011, 15:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post

I love Madikeri and have property there from long time now as I would love to retire there. I spend atleast a week or two every two years at Madikeri for destressind and detoxifying myself.
Ah!! that explains it. So then , I must say it was good driving trip.
You could have gone to Madikeri too on return when you were so close to it.
Any more photos to come ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I too agree that Ooty is too commercialized and crowded. Even a room in a decent hotel costs the earth.
From the trio, i found Coonor to be relaxing and rejuvenating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
It is extremely crowded, especially, the Saturdays and Sundays can be punishing and make one regret on why they choose ooty as a holiday destination.
I agree too, places like Ooty and Kodai have become too crowded and particularly during the season. I drove to Ooty last year in August and I found it easy with very less crowd, as it was off season. So, it was good.
When went again in December for New year, it was a little crowded but still manageable.
The way you people are complaining about crowd during summers, it must really be horrible.
The best thing to do in summer is to sit at home and enjoy the A/c chill
Old 30th May 2011, 17:16   #12
BHPian

Is that the speedo@ 160kmph?? No offence, keeping safety in mind i dont think its a great idea clicking pictures while driving at that speed.
Old 30th May 2011, 17:22   #13
Team-BHP Support

getsurya, the title is very confusing. Is this your travelogue or that of your boss?
Old 30th May 2011, 19:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
getsurya, the title is very confusing. Is this your travelogue or that of your boss?
I guess he calls his Scorp as the BOSS!! Don't flame me if i am wrong.

@getsurya: Nice crisp write up and pics!! If your land is in proper Madikeri town then its crowded to the core on Sat and Sun. If it is not in the town but further away or some other place in Coorg then you have invested in a good property for your retirement.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 30th May 2011 at 19:59.
Old 31st May 2011, 15:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is that the speedo@ 160kmph?? No offence, keeping safety in mind i dont think its a great idea clicking pictures while driving at that speed.
Hi Xotiq, Absolutely! My wife does the camera management when I drive. No way I would click pictures with the speeds!

Quote:
Is this your travelogue or that of your boss?
Hi Samurai,
Why would I post my Boss's(Manager's) travelogue?

As Abhinav said, My car is named as BOSS!

Quote:
If your land is in proper Madikeri town then its crowded to the core on Sat and Sun. If it is not in the town but further away or some other place in Coorg then you have invested in a good property for your retirement.
Hi Abhinav, Our property is ~10km from proper Madikeri town. I love the serenity of the gardens and the nature from that location.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks