Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2011, 14:50   #1
BHPian

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip

This is a travelogue on the bike trip I did during the new year vacation of 2010.
Although I am posting it now, This was written soon after I was back from the trip.

Right from the time I bought my bike [Independance day, 2007], I wanted to do a long bike trip. But somehow not many in our group were too keen on it and it had to wait. Last January, had been to B R Hills[from Bangalore] with friends, but that was too short a trip for the biker in me to get satisfied

Finally came the bonanza! I was thinking of some travel plan for the christmas-new year period for quite sometime. when this plan of a long bike trip came up, I didn't even have to think for a moment before saying yes, and immediately got into working out the details!
As the thought sunk in, I started feeling whether it was really possible to do such a long trip on bikes! But that did not last long, and the excitement of going through it had kicked in, and planning started in full swing!

The core route was decided upon
Bangalore - Mysore - Madurai - Kanyakumari - Back to mysore via Kerala Coastline

and I started looking out for places to visit around the route. In the process, got to know about this interesting place called dhanushkodi, near Rameshwaram. It was too exciting to miss out, and hence we added Rameshwaram to the route at the last moment, inspite of having to cover more than 250kms extra!

The plan was to start from Bangalore on the 24th of December and be back by 2nd, So that we could rest on 3rd and get back to work from 4th.

Since two of them were already on vacation from the previous week itself and were at theie respective hometowns, we planned to sync up at my place at Mysore on 25th morning and start from there.

Day 1 :

On 24th, packed up from office early and left for Mysore around 5:30.

Initial ODO reading - 17784

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_8188.jpg

Since it was a long vacation period ahead, the roads were very crowded, mostly with people happily going out of Bangalore I guess. It took me an hour and a half to negotiate the city traffic and cross Kengeri![It usually takes me just around 2 hours to reach Mysore, when I drive early morning.] Reached Mysore around 9 with a couple of breaks in between, had nice dinner and crashed to take some rest and get ready to start the journey the next morning!

Distance covered : 154 kms.

Last edited by figo_united : 12th June 2011 at 16:28.
figo_united is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2011, 14:54   #2
BHPian

Re: 4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip

Day 2:

On 25th early morning, all 4 of us synched up, checked our luggage once to verify all necessary things are taken, and started off at 5:30 in the nice cold weather towards ring road to join nanjangud road. Took the nanjangud bypass route and headed towards chamarajnagar, where we stopped for a quick breakfast.

Sunrise near chamarajanagar

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_8192.jpg

The plan was to cover as much distance as possible early in the morning before it gets too hot.
Since we had included Rameshwaram in our plan at the last moment, we had to make up the extra distance whenever possible and hence we thought of extending the day's drive till PaLani, instead of Coimbatore as per our initial plan.

The next stretch towards satyamangala and through the satyamangala ghats was very enjoyable. The roads were very good, weather was awesome and there were 27 hairpin bends to negotiate! I really loved that part of the drive.
Next stop was at the bannari temple on the way. A quick visit into the temple and we were back on the road headed towards our first major destination- Coimbatore.

Superb roads on the way to coimbatore

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_8194.jpg

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_8201.jpg

Stopped for tender coconut on the way, where our plan changed! As the weather gets hot, it makes you feel dehydrated soon and such tender coconut stops became a regular event throughout out trip. As we sipped the refreshing 'YeLaneeru', we just wanted to make sure the route towards palani, and we got to know that we could avoid going through coimbatore, and instead take an alternate route through tiruppur and dharapuram, which would be shorter. So, we went back a short distance till Annur cross, took the road to tiruppur through avinashi. (Annur -> Avinashi is around 20km, Avinashi -> tiruppur is around 15km)

The guy who suggested the route also mentioned that tiruppur was a very advanced city and was like a 'mini japan'! 35kms later, We realised that it was indeed a pretty big and advanced city with many electronic shops and huge commercial buildings. We had a good lunch over there. Dharapuram is around 50 kms from tiruppur, where we took the bypass road, stopped for another drink, and proceeded for the last 35km stretch for the day towards palani.

Reached palani around 4, checked into a lodge, got fresh and headed towards the hill top to visit the temple. It takes around half an hour to climb to the top, and we saw a really huge queue at the top :( Pretty exhausted by then, we stood in the queue for around half an hour, and decided to pray from outside and return! We didn't miss the 'puliyutharai' prasadam though

It was pretty taxing on our shoulders and back on the first day. After a quick bath, We retired to bed early, with a good dose of volini spray on our bodies, which was very much needed!

Distance covered : 450km

Old 12th June 2011, 15:03   #3
BHPian

Day 3:

Our next destination was rameshwaram, via madurai. We started the drive early around 7 towards madurai. The road was not too good, but the early morning weather helped us enjoy the ride more. Took a deviation at oodachantram which is around 35km from palani, and headed towards the NH7. NH7 route leading to madurai was too good and i crossed 100kmph for the first time on the trip!

Top speed on the NH7

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_8277.jpg

We reached Madurai temple around 10, gulped a couple of bananas for breakfast, and went into the colourful meenakshi temple. The temple has some amazing carvings and paintings, and is not too crowded as well. Enjoyed the visit through the temple, and also the delicious prasadam as well We hadnt had breakfast you know!

The magnificent madurai temple.

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_8318.jpg

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_8319.jpg

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_8320.jpg

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_8321.jpg

Saravana Bhavans are my favourite places for lunch throughout Tamilnadu. We had a good lunch over there, in a much needed AC room, and started our drive to rameshwaram. The SH 34 route till manamadurai was just decent[around 50km]. We then joined the NH49 towards ramanathapuram. We went through paramakudi, which is the birth place of the great kamala hasan! We then stopped for a tea at ramanathapuram around 5 in the evening.

Then came the drive through the coast towards pamban bridge, which connects rameshwaram island. it was amazing to see the pamban bridge and the parallel railway bridge. feels so different travelling on a bridge built over a sea!

The beautiful pamban bridge

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_8396.jpg

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_8397.jpg

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_8398.jpg

After reaching rameshwaram, we started hunting for accomodation, but almost all of them were houseful! Its a small place, and almost all the buildings on the roads surrounding the temple, are either lodges or restaurants! We got a helpful auto driver who drove us around the place in search of accomodation, and finally after almost an hour, found a place to settle!

Went out again for dinner, and after the usual volini dose, the 4 of us hit the 2 Bed accomodation! The plan was to wake up early in the morning for the 'spatika linga darshana' which would end at 5:30!

Distance covered : 750 kms

Old 12th June 2011, 15:17   #4
BHPian

Day 4:

I got to know about the 19 wells inside the rameshwaram temple and the practice of taking a holy bath in each of them! That sounded pretty interesting to all of us and we thought of checking that as well. Our plan of getting up early for the spatika linga darshanam didn't quite work out, and we went to the temple around 7.
Struck a deal with one of the many agents, who would bypass the queue for the holy bath and take us directly inside the temple along with a bath in each of the 19 wells.

There started the treasure hunt kind of exercise! We went following him to each of the wells inside, he would fill his bucket from each of the 19 wells, and pour it on each of us! It was quite a fun exercise.

The rameshwaram temple

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_8399.jpg

After a lengthened bathing session and a quick breakfast, we visited the rama pada.

It was then time for the much anticipated journey to dhanushkodi island! It is around 15kms from rameshwaram, through a very nice route parallel to the sea. upon reaching a certain point, the road ends and further travel is possible only on the jeeps available there. We parked our bikes on the beachside there, and started in a jeep along with 2 other groups.
The journey to the island from there, is around 7 kms, on the sand, and water too! It was quite an experience.

The machines, enroute dhanushkodi

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_8456.jpg

The sandy roads leading to dhanushkoDi

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_8458.jpg
4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_8461.jpg

The jeep ride

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_8477.jpg

Dhanushkodi as such, didn't have anything special, apart from the remains of a village destroyed in the tsunami that struck in 1964. We could see some small broken buildings, remains of a church, post office and a temple.

Remains of a church

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_8521.jpg

Our next destination was Tirunelveli, which was around 250kms from Rameshwaram. From the route we saw on the map, we didnt have much expectations about the route, As most of it was on a state highway and some part, not even a highway! But to our pleasant surprise, our assumption proved to be wrong!

This was one of the most enjoyable rides of the trip. Although the road to eravadi from ramanathapuram was not too good, the rest of the journey[eravadi->sayalkudi->kokkadi->padarndapuli->NH45B->tuticorin->NH7A->Tirunelveli] was very good, and the nice calm weather helped as well. We also spotted many peacocks on the roadside fields on this stretch!

The excellent roads towards tuticorin

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_8537.jpg

A shot break in the green surrounding

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_8543.jpg

Checked in to a hotel there, freshened up, and headed out to explore the city and also have the famous tirunelveli halva!

Distance Covered : 1050kms.

Last edited by figo_united : 12th June 2011 at 16:36.
Old 12th June 2011, 15:51   #5
BHPian

Day 5:

Our next destination was Kanyakumari-the southern tip of India. As we didn't have much traveling on the day, we woke up quite late and started the drive around 9 [It was still early compared to my usual timings ].

It was around 90km drive on the NH 7, which was awesome. Touched 114kmph, my top speed of the trip, on this road

The picturesque kanyakumari stretch

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_8593.jpg

my ride

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_8613.jpg

The place where we take the deviation to kanyakumari from NH7. Notice the architecture combining all religions!

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_8630.jpg

After the usual search for a good accommodation and freshening up, we headed to visit the swami vivekananda memorial. There was a very huge queue for the ferry that takes us there. The memorial is a very nice place, with a temple, meditation room and great surrounding! we then took the next ferry to the huge statue of tiruvalluvar, and then back .

Huuuuge tiruvalluvar statue

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_8631.jpg

Vivekananda rock memorial

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_8632.jpg

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_8633.jpg

Quite hungry by then, headed straight to a restaurant for lunch.

After some rest, we went to the beach to relax and witness the sunset.

Distance Covered : 1150kms

Old 12th June 2011, 16:01   #6
BHPian

Day 6:

It was a very bad start to a not so good day to come!
As we were waiting at the sea side for the sun to sneak out of the clouds, i slipped and my phone got wet! Being quite ignorant[ which i realized later! ] I tried switching it on multiple times, and phew, it stopped responding altogether!

So here's a lesson for those who do not know - Do not try switching on a phone that has got wet! Dry it in the sun, and only after its fully dry, attempt to check if its still alive!

I had to do without my phone for the rest of the trip, Which was so frustrating. Specially not having access to the net, Cos I've become so addicted to it, I can't do without it for too long!

Next destination was Thiruvanantapuram, and on the way, we stopped at the Padmanabhapuram palace. Its a historical place, said to be the capital of the king of travancore. It was pretty well maintained and we had a good time checking it out.

Padmanabhapuram palace

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_8634.jpg

Suspended lamp which maintains a particular direction

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_8635.jpg

Tiruvananthapuram is around 80km from Kanyakumari. When we reached Thiruvanantapuram, We realized that it was a state wide bundh on that day, and because of that, the roads were deserted and we could hardly see any activity in the state capital.

We relaxed for sometime on the kovalam beach, went for a ride on a speed boat and then went into the city to check out the other place of interest - the Anantha Padmanabhaswamy temple!

Anantha Padmanabhaswamy temple, Thiruvanantapuram

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_8956.jpg

Had one of the worst experiences at this place though! We went to the cloak room there and here's what happened:

Cloak Room Guy : Each bag Rs20.
We : ok, we have 2 bags.
[We started keeping our cellphones and cameras in a small bag]
Guy : U can't keep your phones n cameras inside your bags, deposit separately and pay Rs.20 per item!
We : WT*! [ 20x6 added]
Guy : U r allowed inside only in a dhoti, which u can get for rent @ 15 per dhoti.
We : WT*! [ 15x4 added]
Guy : Don't keep your clothes in your bag, hang it on the nails on that wall
We : ok, that's bit better.
Guy : Rs.10 per nail! [10x4 added]
We : *&%^$#@!!!

We spent around 250 bucks, just for the cloak room!
Already irritated enough, we go in and join the entrance queue inside, but later realize its not moving at all!
We then get to know that the normal queue is blocked for an hour and only the special entrance for Rs 20 per head was open! WT*s in chorus again!

We then drove to kollam which is around 75kms in the evening and ended a not so enjoyable day.

Distance covered : 1350kms

Old 12th June 2011, 16:11   #7
BHPian

Unfortunately, I had not completed the travelogue when I wrote it after the trip! So just adding the highlights as I remember and data I can collect from the logs, for the rest of the days now.

Day 7 :

We checked out early from the hotel in kollam and headed towards alapuzha(allepy) which is around 72kms.

We hired a boathouse for around 4 hours which cost us 2k. Initial part of the ride was quite enjoyable, and we enjoyed the picturesque backwaters.
We also had lunch on a restaurant midway in the water!

backwaters

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_9090.jpg

Boathouses

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_9127.jpg

The next ride was towards Ernakulam (around 80kms), and this drive was not quite enjoyable due to the heavily crowded narrow roads. We checked into a hotel, got freshened up and headed out to check out the town. We drove to fort kochi, and came back to the town in the ferry.
found kochi city very good, and roamed around the posh roads in the night.

Distance covered : 1539kms

Day 8 :

Plan for the day was to reach thrissur, and visit the athirapally falls on the way.
The athirapally falls, known as the indian niagara falls, is around 50kms from ernakulam. The last part of this journey is through a forest route and was quite enjoyable with the lush green trees protecting us from the scorching heat of the sun.
We relaxed in the water for a while, trekked down to the base of the falls and enjoyed our time there.

Athirapally falls

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_9211.jpg

We then drove to thrissur which is around 80km, and checked into a hotel.

We checked out a couple of temples there, and headed to a mariamman temple, where there was a overnight event going on.
It was new years night as well! we enjoyed the awesome band performance, and the decorated elephants, and other activities there.

Place where we spent new years night

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_9307.jpg

Distance covered : 1720kms

Old 12th June 2011, 16:19   #8
BHPian

Day 9 :

We started early to travel to guruvayur, which is around 30kms on the NH 17.

There was a decent crowd at the temple, and we needed around 2 hours for the darshan. We also checked out 'Ananthavalam'-the elephant zoo there.

Guruvayur temple

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_9329.jpg

Elephant zoo

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_9330.jpg

We then drove to calicut around 130kms, and were desperate to get into water and relax after driving in the hot sun for a long time.

Near calicut

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_9354.jpg

We went to kaapad beach, which is the place vasco da gama landed in 1498!

We relaxed in the beach for a while and witnessed an awesome sunset.

Vasco da gama beach

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_9388.jpg

Sunset
4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_9355.jpg

around 6:30PM, We saw in the map that kalpetta is around 65kms and thought we could reach by just about an hour or so. We were not aware that it is a ghat section!

We ended up needing more than 2-2.5 hours for the drive, but it was quite enjoyable.

We checked into a dorm and relaxed.

Distance covered : 1970kms

Old 12th June 2011, 16:27   #9
BHPian

Day 10 :

We got up early in the morning and drove to suchipara falls. It was very refreshing to drive in the misty weather amongst the tea estates.

My pulsar in the misty wayanad estate

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_9436.jpg

Ride towards suchipara falls

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_9537.jpg

We had a refreshing bath in the waterfalls, and relaxed for a while.

Suchipara falls

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_9538.jpg

Since all of us had already visited most of the other places around wayanad, we decided to head back to Mysore and complete the trip!
We drove to mysore which is around 135kms from kalpetta, via the bandipur forest, and reached My place around lunch time.

Lot of traffic in bandipur forest!

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_9554.jpg

The memorable trip was complete the next day when we drove back to Bangalore and the final trip meter reading was 2335!

Final ODO reading - 20119
trip meter reset twice and read 335

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-img_9579.jpg
Old 13th June 2011, 11:23   #10
BHPian

Here's the map trace of the route we followed!

4 Friends - 3 States - 2 Bikes - 1 Awesome Trip-biketripmap.jpg
Old 14th June 2011, 16:14   #11
BHPian

It's an awesome trip indeed! Thanks for posting it up, made for a nice read.
Old 14th June 2011, 16:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

Great trip and enjoyed the pics. The best snap for me was of the train on the bridge.

Good to read that the bike as well did not give you any problems on the way.
Old 14th June 2011, 16:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Nice trip and happy to see both rider and pillion wearing helmets. Enjoyed the snaps too.

Some more snaps of both the bikes please
Old 14th June 2011, 17:13   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Great pics and should say a well planned trip overall. You seems to have covered not just the distance but all the attractions on route too. Also, how was the road from Rameshwaram to Tirunelveli?
Old 14th June 2011, 17:25   #15
BHPian

Awesome trip and enjoyed the pictures most!

The Pamban bridge, Dhanushkodi church, Calicat backwaters and your bike in a misty background (Wayanad) takes the cake!

Also, Dhanushkodi was destroyed due to a storm and not a Tsunami.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks