Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2011, 15:57   #1
BHPian

Dharamshala

I had been to Dharamshala this summer. Wooded with Oak, Deodhar & Coniferous trees and snowcapped on three sides, Dharamshala is really picturesque.It is most famous for Mcleod Ganj which is the seat of the exiled Tibetan government. Dharamshala is also the capital of the erstwhile Katoch Dynasty which is arguably the oldest serving royal family in the world.
But what i liked most about Dharamshala was its cricket stadium! The Indian Premier League (IPL) has brought Dharamshala into the Cricketing spotlight as it boasts of one of the most beautiful cricket stadiums in the world.
Dharamshala beyond the IPL-ckt1.jpg

Dharamshala beyond the IPL-ckt2.jpg

Dharamshala beyond the IPL-ckt5.jpg

Dharamshala beyond the IPL-ckt3.jpg

Dharamshala beyond the IPL-ckt4.jpg
Sudden123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 16:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dharamshala

@sudden - I agree that the cricket stadium is beautiful, nestled between the mountains. The domes at the pavilion end reminds me of Sydney Cricket ground - albeit those are green.

Would love to see more snaps and information about Dharamshala.

I hope this is just the preview and more is coming our way.

Last edited by amitwlele : 2nd September 2011 at 16:16.
Old 5th September 2011, 10:52   #3
BHPian

Cool pics of the Stadium mate! Even from outside, and from a distance, the stadium is quite a sight with the bright red contrasting with the greenery and blue skies around.

Sometimes I wonder; how hard would it be for the players to concentrate with the ever so enticing snow-capped peaks all around!
Old 5th September 2011, 11:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

What next, stadiums at Leh/Ladakh?!! Do these guys have to ruin the few, remaining picturesque and peaceful locations?

This is what has happened to Shimla,
Attached Thumbnails
Dharamshala beyond the IPL-shimla1.jpg  

Last edited by Jayabusa : 5th September 2011 at 11:06.
Old 5th September 2011, 11:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

@sudden - No further updates from you on this thread with information and snaps. Request you to do the same else Dharamshala is getting associated only with the Cricket stadium and nothing else, which i think would not be true.
I have never been to the place so all the more interested in getting more information.
Old 5th September 2011, 12:53   #6
BHPian

Hey Amit, i am just putting a new post Dharamshala- beyond the IPL! Hope that will be useful
Old 5th September 2011, 13:24   #7
BHPian

Dharamshala beyond the IPL

Since the IPL mania began, many people are familiar with Dharamshala as the place with one of the most picturesque cricket stadiums in India.
But Dharamshala has much more to offer.

Dharamshala is most famous for Mcleod Ganj which is the seat of the exiled Tibetan government.
The Tibet Museum situated in the Tsuglagkhang Complex is a good place to visit to get a historical account of the Tibetan Struggle. The photographs give a vivid recollection of the Tibetan struggle and the escape of The Dalai Lama and his followers into India in 1960. It is open 9am to 6pm on all days except Mondays.
The Library of Tibetan Works & Arts is a treasure trove of ancient Tibetan cultural objects and manuscripts. Some of the 80000 plus manuscripts date as far back as the 10th century. It has served as a great center for Tibetan Studies with alumni of more than five thousand students. This is the place to go if you ever wanted to learn the Tibetan Language, Buddhist philosophy or Thangka painting which is a painting with embroidery.
The Tibetan Institute of Performing Arts is another magnificent institution devoted at preserving the cultural tradition of Tibet. I found some of the workshops run here, to be very interesting. You can learn how to make traditional Tibetan style costumes, masks and musical instruments. April is the best time to visit as you can catch the annual Folk Opera festival.

Dharamshala is also the capital of the erstwhile Katoch Dynasty which is arguably the oldest serving royal family in the world. Dharamshala was ruled by the Katoch Dynasty from ancient times, till the British came and took it over with the intention of making it their summer capital. A devastating Earth Quake had razed the entire town of Dharamshala in 1905. The British abandoned their plans for Dharamshala and moved base to Shimla.

Bhagsunag Fall is a popular attraction 11 kms from Dharamshala town. It is famous for slate quarries and taking chilly dips in the icy waters. You can also hit the trekking trails near the fall, which will lead you to Triund in 3 days.

The War Memorial is a good spot to be included in your itinerary. It salutes the brave soldiers who laid down their lives. The memorial is very picturesquely set amidst a pine tree forest.

Kunal Pathari is a 3km walk from Kotwali bazaar. It houses an old rock temple of a local deity. Kunal Pathari offers splendid views of the Dauladhar range courtesy its altitude.

St John’s Church will be enjoyed by patrons of Stain Glass work. The church lies in a forest between Mcleod Ganj and Forsyth Ganj. There is a monument dedicated to Lord Elgin, an erstwhile Viceroy who was buried here in 1863. Lady Elgin had donated the Belgian Stain Glass to the Church.

A Discovery: One of the friendly monks in Mcleod Ganj told me about the unique Tibetan Medical traditions. It is supposed to date back to more than 2500 years and is based on a holistic concept of mind and body. This school of thought believes that a disease is due to disequilibrium of psychological and physical energies. The method of diagnosis is visual, interrogation and pulse-reading. Medicines are usually bitter pills or powder containing herbs, animal products, precious stones and metals. Stones and metals ate detoxified through an intricate process of alchemy!

Dharamshala beyond the IPL-buddhist-temple.jpg
(The main Temple at Mcleod Ganj)

Dharamshala beyond the IPL-monastery-utensils.jpg
(Giant utensils used to cook for the inmates)

Dharamshala beyond the IPL-mcloed-ganj-skylike.jpg
(Mcleod Ganj Skyline)

Dharamshala beyond the IPL-prayer-bells.jpg
(Prayer Bells)

Dharamshala beyond the IPL-tibetan-struggle.jpg
(Tibetan Struggle Monument)

Dharamshala beyond the IPL-war-memorial.jpg
(War Memorial)

Dharamshala beyond the IPL-tea-plantation.jpg
(Tea Plantation)
Old 5th September 2011, 15:47   #8
BHPian

Re: Dharamshala beyond the IPL

Seems you have better experience here.

Nothing offensive but I didn't like the place because of people behaviour. I had many occassion in my short 3 days trip (with no fault of mine) heard abusive and non-human achknowledgement received from localites. Will never every visit or recommend this to anyone.
Old 5th September 2011, 16:07   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
Seems you have better experience here.

Nothing offensive but I didn't like the place because of people behavior. I had many occasion in my short 3 days trip (with no fault of mine) heard abusive and non-human acknowledgement received from localites. Will never every visit or recommend this to anyone.
Been there quite a lot of times. Never had such an experience. Although I would admit the younger generation of localites are not that friendly, And wandering late night in Mcleodganj is not recommended.
Old 5th September 2011, 17:05   #10
BHPian

Sorry to hear about your experience sam. But i did enjoy my stay here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks