Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2011, 15:13   #31
BHPian

Re: Andaman Islands: A trip to cherish forever

navan

there are weekly trips from chennai to port blair by ship throughout the year. it will take approx 60 hrs (2 1/2 days) for the journey.
marinegopi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2011, 20:38   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinegopi View Post
navan

there are weekly trips from chennai to port blair by ship throughout the year. it will take approx 60 hrs (2 1/2 days) for the journey.
Thank you Marinegopi.
You are right and I did look at the site. It is understood that there are different kinds of classes. Bunk may not be good and as well as the Ac dorm and 1st class cabin is in my plan. Apart from this How about the food in the ship. Hope as the journey is from and to Chennai I believe that the food should be O K or at least a south indian meals. It is an idea for us to have a ship but it may be a ferry.I think that this season will be of rainy and the weather may not be pleasant.How about May? If any one knows please throw some light on this matters.
Old 29th October 2011, 21:14   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Thank you Marinegopi.
I think that this season will be of rainy and the weather may not be pleasant.How about May? If any one knows please throw some light on this matters.
On the contrary, May has greater chances of being rainy than now. Try to go there end-November onwards till March.
Old 30th October 2011, 09:58   #34
BHPian

Lovely TL Arya! January is'nt far away. Some information on the costs involved would greatly help with my planning the trip.
Regards,
Ashphil
Old 31st October 2011, 14:00   #35
BHPian

AWESOME!! Just what I wanted before I went on a trip to the Andamans. I have always wanted to see the Cellular jail since I saw the movie kalapani and also when i got to know that the only volcano in India is in Barren Island in A&N islands. My thinking was that I should see a volcano and if it is in my country why should I go anywhere.

The Andamans felt elusive till not but now that you have equipped me with this travelogue I am all set to take the plunge.

Waiting to see your part describing the sail to Barren Island.
Old 31st October 2011, 14:23   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashphil View Post
Lovely TL Arya! January is'nt far away. Some information on the costs involved would greatly help with my planning the trip.
Regards,
Ashphil
Thanks ashphil!
I am uploading the basic costs involved in this trip below so that folks can get some idea of the costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
AWESOME!!

The Andamans felt elusive till not but now that you have equipped me with this travelogue I am all set to take the plunge.
Waiting to see your part describing the sail to Barren Island.
Thanks figo_mba.
You should visit the islands at least once.

The sail to Barren Island is my plan for the next visit to the island. I didn't cover it this time round. Sorry to disappoint you.

For folks who have been asking for some idea on the costs involved.
The following spreadsheet is the cost incurred for 4 adults in Andaman.

It doesn't take into account the flight cost from Calcutta (mom and sister).
It includes the flight cost of our son from Madras.

Name:  AndamanTripCost.PNG
Views: 20409
Size:  13.4 KB

Let me know if anyone needs more details. I haven't provided the finer details here, like auto rickshaw cost, fooding, etc.

Last edited by aryasanyal : 31st October 2011 at 14:42.
aryasanyal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2011, 20:35   #37
BHPian

This is awesome....great pictures and narration....

I would like to know how much is the charges for snorkeling ??

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 31st October 2011, 21:10   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul20_6 View Post
This is awesome....great pictures and narration....

I would like to know how much is the charges for snorkeling ??

Cheers,
Rahul
Thanks Rahul!
Sorry - missed that out in the spreadsheet. It cost us Rs.4100/- for 3 persons at Barefoot Scuba for the snorkeling. This also includes lunch for 4 (my mom didn't snorkel) that they serve at the snorkeling site.
Old 31st October 2011, 21:21   #39
BHPian

Hey guys....ship is ok but if u get sea sick then the 2day voyage will become a nightmare...cos ull keep puking. Sorry I dont mean to discourage people but this is fact. And please plan for a trip by ship only if there are 4-6 members to keep each other company because after few hours departure from chennai it will get boriing because there will be nothing but water to see.

It is not a ferry. Its a proper ship with 1200 pax capacity. If you are a family of four then go for a I class cabin cos there will be 4 berths and attached bath toilet. But if only a family of 2 then try deluxe cabin ( 2 berth with attached bath)
Please DONT opt for II class or Bunk. They dont have attached bath toilet. It will be common.

Food will be sort of ok ok type. You have to stick to the timings announced or else u might end up hungry n wont get food.

Guys I sincerely suggest that travel to and fro chennai by air and take a 2 hr trip to havelock by the ship.

Sea plane has also been introduced for the first time in India in these islands. You might give it a try.

Anything more? Please do get back. This is my No. +919434262877
all you guys are welcome to call anytime. Will be glad to help.
marinegopi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 01:41   #40
BHPian

Day 6: Ross Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinegopi View Post
Sea plane has also been introduced for the first time in India in these islands. You might give it a try.
Now that you have told me, I know what I missed on my tour.

From Andaman Sea Plane Service | andaman seaplane ticket fare price -

Quote:
India's first Commercial Operation of Sea Plane Services in Andaman and Nicobar Islands has began on 23 January 2011. The seaplane will fly between Port Blair and Havelock Island.
Also the seaplane will fly upto Barren Island, India's lone active volcano, where tourists will be able to get aerial view of the volcanic Islands.
Shucks - it started the very same day we left Port Blair. Folks, anyone going there don't miss this opportunity to see Barren Island.

Had seen this one in Port Blair. But doesn't look to be the same model -

Andaman Islands: A trip to cherish forever-img_1279.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Aryasanyal,

Thank you for the break up. I have planned for Malaysia, Hong kong and Singapore round trip flight ticket cost is only Rs.22700. I was thinking of a trip to Andaman will be of Rs.40000 inclusive of all. It seems I have to stretch my budget for to at least Rs.70,000. It seems two tours may not be possible in one year. I will do proper plan for 2013.
I am not sure if you plan to travel alone or with family. For 2 people, Rs.40,000 (+- 10,000) rupees all inclusive should be sufficient. But yes, the number of days and the range of accommodation also counts.
I guess it'd be better that you plan it properly for 2013 instead of rushing to the islands.

Resuming Day 6 log:

We wake up early as we have to cover Ross Island and the Cellular Jail today. Quick breakfast later, we grab an auto to take us to the Aberdeen Jetty (also known locally as the Ross Island Jetty). This jetty faces Ross Island making it a short 15 min boat ride away.

Once we reach the jetty, we find that today not only is there a high tide but the sea is pretty rough as well. The boat for Ross leaves every 30 mins and the ones since morning have been cancelled for this reason.

But there seems to be a glimmer of hope as the ticket counter person tells us that probably the next one is going to attempt the crossing.
Fingers crossed, we roam around the Rajiv Gandhi Water Sports Complex, which lies adjacent to the jetty.

Within 15 mins the counter guys calls us out and tells that the next boat is indeed leaving and they are starting issuing tickets. Overjoyed, we grab our tickets and scramble to the boat.
Once the boat starts it's journey, we can feel that the sea is indeed very rough today.

Thankfully we reach our destination for the day - Ross Island.

From Ross Island (Andaman) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -
Quote:
Bearing a haunted look today, the Ross Island was the Administrative Headquarters for the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, before an earthquake rocked it in 1941. The headquarters were then shifted to Port Blair. One can see remnants of an opulent past in the ruins of the church, swimming pool and the chief commissioner's residence with its huge gardens and grand ballrooms. There is also a cemetery and a small museum managed by the Indian Navy. The museum has on display a collection of old records.
We get our tickets issued from the counter next to the jetty. The island is completely managed and maintained by the Indian Naval post named INS Jarawa.

Over the next 3 hours, we walk around the small island marvelling at a very rich past of this now abandoned island. The ruins are very well maintained and there are numerous spotted deers walking around with abandon on this island.
The trail leads us to the top of a hillock on the eastern side where we find a church that is also in ruins. Behind the church, a small stairway leads us down to the tiny Ferrar Beach - the only beach on the island.

Owing to the high tide, we decide not to get down and make ourselves comfortable on the stairs.

The remnants of the 2004 Tsunami are all around. The stairway that lead till the beach no longer does, tree trunks still lie around, the pathway around is unnaturally ruined. Yes, Ross Island had borne a major brunt of the killer waves. It saved neighboring Port Blair in the process.

As I stand there thinking of yesterday's sight of the Wandoor Guest House and today's signs of the tsunami's destruction, I can't help but ponder on the helplessness of us human beings. We think that we have tamed all including nature. But these acts of nature are reminders to humanity about the paltry nature of our existence on this planet.
One simply feels dwindled and diminutive in front of the scale of destruction.
We are at the mercy of the elements. Nature does play dice with us.

After spending about 30 mins, we start walking the Ross Trail again which leads us to the cemetery and a lake opposite it.
We walk into the cemetery and read around the epitaphs of the people who became a part of the soil of Ross Island.
Soon we are back to the jetty and wait for the next boat to berth. the boat arrives and 20 mins later we are back at Aberdeen Jetty.

The Tsunami Memorial at Aberdeen Jetty.
Andaman Islands: A trip to cherish forever-img_1113.jpg

Statue of Rajiv Gandhi at the Jetty.
Andaman Islands: A trip to cherish forever-img_1117.jpg

Path from the Water Sports Complex to the jetty.
Andaman Islands: A trip to cherish forever-img_1118.jpg

Arriving at Ross.
Andaman Islands: A trip to cherish forever-img_1120.jpg

Looking through the Japanese Bunker.
Andaman Islands: A trip to cherish forever-img_1121.jpg

Roaming around Ross Island.
Andaman Islands: A trip to cherish forever-img_1138.jpg

The magnificent ruins of Ross.
Andaman Islands: A trip to cherish forever-img_1151.jpg

Aradhya's encounter with a spotted deer.
Andaman Islands: A trip to cherish forever-img_1180.jpg

Overlooking Ferrar Beach.
Andaman Islands: A trip to cherish forever-img_1200.jpg

The jagged eastern coastline of Ross.
Andaman Islands: A trip to cherish forever-img_1211.jpg

Epitaph of a 22 hour old baby at the cemetery.
Andaman Islands: A trip to cherish forever-img_1212.jpg

The Ross Island Jetty.
Andaman Islands: A trip to cherish forever-img_1222.jpg

Last edited by aryasanyal : 1st November 2011 at 02:06.
Old 1st November 2011, 01:54   #41
Senior - BHPian

Aryasanyal,

Thank you for the break up. I have planned for Malaysia, Hong kong and Singapore round trip flight ticket cost is only Rs.22700. I was thinking of a trip to Andaman will be of Rs.40000 inclusive of all. It seems I have to stretch my budget for to at least Rs.70,000. It seems two tours may not be possible in one year. I will do proper plan for 2013.
Old 2nd November 2011, 14:49   #42

Arya sab',

Amazing and informative travelouge, excellent and descriptive photography. Surely tempts me to visit these island's.
Old 2nd November 2011, 16:56   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryasanyal View Post
Thanks Rahul!
Sorry - missed that out in the spreadsheet. It cost us Rs.4100/- for 3 persons at Barefoot Scuba for the snorkeling. This also includes lunch for 4 (my mom didn't snorkel) that they serve at the snorkeling site.
Thanks Arya for the information. I will be planning a trip Andaman Islands in coming January. Your thread is very useful to plan mine.....
Old 2nd November 2011, 17:28   #44
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Excellent travelogue Arya. Been there when working in an airline.
The plane crossed the trunk road to land into the runway. During landing, the road traffic was stopped. I think they have expanded the runway now and the road is rerouted.

Wonderful place and many of the places there resemble Goa.
Old 2nd November 2011, 18:02   #45
BHPian

Re: Day 2 : Havelock Island

Nice travelogue AryaSanyal - Makes me feel nostalgic (Grew-up in these islands). Inspires me to plan a trip for with the wife and kid sometime soon.

And one tidbit for the North Bay Light House pic -

[quote=aryasanyal;2551503]
The North Bay Lighthouse.
Attachment 829710

That's the same picture on our 20 Rupees Bill (minus the catamaran)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks