Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2012, 23:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Christmas Offroading in the Nilgiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
The beauty of Team-BHP is further enhanced by threads like this one. Take a bow, Nilanjan, creator of this thread. Truly wonderful photos capturing the serenity of the Nilgiris!!! Love the fact that you and your beast had a lovely time up there! Thanks again for the pictures and notes!

PS: what's up with Leh plans?
Thanks. Leh plans are on but detailed planning and execution yet to start

Some more pictures:

Christmas Offroading in the Nilgiris-dsc_0756.jpg

Christmas Offroading in the Nilgiris-dsc_0878.jpg

Christmas Offroading in the Nilgiris-dsc_0766.jpg

Christmas Offroading in the Nilgiris-csc_0919.jpg

Christmas Offroading in the Nilgiris-dsc_0831.jpg

Christmas Offroading in the Nilgiris-dsc_0777.jpg

Christmas Offroading in the Nilgiris-dsc_0866.jpg

Christmas Offroading in the Nilgiris-dsc_0806.jpg

Christmas Offroading in the Nilgiris-dsc_0844.jpg
Old 15th January 2012, 01:07   #32
BHPian

In the second pic, is the Tusker mock charging at you?

If yes must've been a scary situation..
Old 15th January 2012, 01:35   #33
Senior - BHPian

nilanjanray

wonderful wonderful pics of nature, most of them are worthy of being wallpapers anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Beautiful photographs of my favourite place in all the world - the place I grew up in - The Nilgiris or The Blue Mountains!
I love your passion for wildlife and nature - God must have been having a "Michelangelo" or "Van Gogh" moment when He was designing that part of India - truly!
Shankar, i did not live in the Nilgiris, but was packed off every summer along with my sister and terrific times there from my childhood, memorable times. I used to hate the long walks and always looked forward to the huddled taxi trips in those OLD vanguard taxis. But when I look back, those were the most wonderful days I have spent in my life. Like nilanjan said, the smell of those eucalyptus trees alone are enough.
Old 15th January 2012, 07:24   #34
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Ancient Vanguard taxis and Bedford Trucks. Also Bedford trucks converted to vans!
The comforting smell of silver oak and eucalyptus wood-smoke intermingled with crushed eucalyptus leaves, the scent of freshly mown grass on the golf courses and lawns or the lovely fragrance of tea during the crush-tear-curl process in those tea factories,the sight of sloping roofed bungalows with their lovely English Gardens, the sight of smoke curling lazily up from the chimneys and such are things that simply help to bring a sense of nostalgia home to me.
I love the Nilgiris as also Munnar and Anamallais for the memories they hold for me. The golden years of childhood, adolescence and early adult-hood were all spent there, most fruitfully too, I might add!
Today I pop across and stay at the club, cocooned in comfort, waited on hand and foot, away from the rat race, the madding crowds and make an attempt thus, to re-live those years, for a brief while in time, until I am jerked back rudely into the present day and work and all the other crass and commercial things that I have to deal with day to day.
I wish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Shankar, i did not live in the Nilgiris, but was packed off every summer along with my sister and terrific times there from my childhood, memorable times. I used to hate the long walks and always looked forward to the huddled taxi trips in those OLD vanguard taxis. But when I look back, those were the most wonderful days I have spent in my life. Like nilanjan said, the smell of those eucalyptus trees alone are enough.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 15th January 2012 at 07:28.
Old 16th January 2012, 22:34   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
In the second pic, is the Tusker mock charging at you?

If yes must've been a scary situation..
Yes, the elephant was mock charging. But it was an adolescent, so not that scary. But I would stay away from that elephant once it grows up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
nilanjanray
wonderful wonderful pics of nature, most of them are worthy of being wallpapers anytime.
Thanks. Do check out my MP forests thread - I feel that the pictures there are better :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Ancient Vanguard taxis and Bedford Trucks. Also Bedford trucks converted to vans!
I love the Nilgiris as also Munnar and Anamallais for the memories they hold for me. The golden years of childhood, adolescence and early adult-hood were all spent there, most fruitfully too, I might add!
The Himalayas have a similar nostalgic appeal for me. I used to visit at least a couple of times every year. No experience with Vanguard taxis, but lots of memories with old Landrovers :-)

I visited Nilgiris for the first time in 1993. Nowadays I end up going at least once every two months.
Old 17th January 2012, 06:48   #36
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Thats interesting. Me, I like going up every now and then - usually Coorg or Nilgiris. Perfect destinations for driving holidays - very easy access from Bangalore. Luckily for me I live here and hence can get to go up every now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
The Himalayas have a similar nostalgic appeal for me. I used to visit at least a couple of times every year. No experience with Vanguard taxis, but lots of memories with old Landrovers :-)

I visited Nilgiris for the first time in 1993. Nowadays I end up going at least once every two months.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks