Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2012, 17:06   #1
BHPian

Explore and Experience New Vista's - Literally!

It all started with our office management team deciding to go on a road trip during the extended weekend (our office had declared friday off for Sankranti). I was on standby till Friday morning 1:30 and the decision as to where to go was not reached. Many ayees for Goa, Nagarjunasagar, Dindi, however no concensus and finally no trip.

This led me to think about a plan to take my family for a road trip over the weekend to explore New Vista's in our New Vista.

Daughter did not want it to be a religious tour and therefore places like Srisailam, Nanded, Bidar or any other place where there was even an iota of visiting temple was off the list.

Researched AP tourism website extensively. Came upon Belum caves and read about it. Something exciting. Also read about Rollapadu Bird Sanctuary. Called TBHP'ian Octane78 to check if he has heard about the sanctuary. He had not. That's when finalized the geo. This was my time to venture and experience something that not many had. Booked Kurnool Haritha A/C room online for Saturday.

However as we had 2 days in hand, wanted to cover as much around. Places around Belum and Kurnool (Kurnool to be the Base)

1. Orvakal - Rock Garden
2. Rollapadu Bird Sanctuary
3. Belum Caves

1. Orvakal - Rock Garden - 20 kms from kurnool and on the way to Belum. The snaps on the site were not very exciting and it was last on my list to visit.

2. Belum Caves - Stalactite and Stalagmite formations. That was enough for me to surely visit this location.

Rollapadu Bird Sanctuary - Migratory Birds, Black Bucks etc. Black Bucks? Yes the same one which was in news for quite a while for hunting. It also had the number for the DFO (very handy). That was it. Wife had already done the packing and kids were fast asleep to get up early.

It was 2 am Saturday and had to leave at 6 am. Slept for 3 hours as heart was where the road is. Excited to drive my Vista to newer Vista's.

5:00 am and the E5 goes off. I put it off only to realise that we have to leave. Got ready. Final packing done along with Hot Idli's. Kids are ready and excited more than me. Finally start off @7 am from home.

The journey from Hyderabad to Kurnool was a normal expressway drive. Kept the car in the range of 80 - 120. Could have done more, however did have all the time in the world and I was not in the mood to break my own world records. Reached Kurnool by 10 am. Checked in. Decent hotel with nice room and a good view. Spoke to the receptionist and he mentioned that the Bird Sanctuary is nothing much to go for. Now confused.

What to do. Just then, called the DFO at Atmakur and took info about what all can I sight in Rollapadu. He mentioned that it's a open sanctuary and you can drive around. You will come across Black Bucks, lots of migratory birds (raptors mostly), Indian Bustard if lucky. Great. Straight headed for breakfast and left at 11 am.

Kurnool to Rollapadu is 58 Kms. Roads are a little rough to somewhat ok. A KM in between is bad. On the way stopped at Tomato fields and tasted some very sweet and natural tomatoes. As usual Home Ministry wanted to fill the boot with the juicy ones

Reached the Forest Office at 12:30pm. The forest office gave us a guide for Bird Watching with 2 huge Nikon binocualars. Something very unexpected and very thoughtful of the Forest Department. (Saving my applauses).

More to come.
Old 16th January 2012, 18:42   #2
BHPian

Re: Explore and Experience New Vista's...Literally!!!

For the starters and for those who are eager to see what unfolds, here's what you would see.

Some Female Black Bucks

Explore and Experience New Vista's - Literally!-14012012140.jpg

Lots of Siberian and Mongolian birds

Explore and Experience New Vista's - Literally!-14012012164.jpg

A never seen before Sunset

Explore and Experience New Vista's - Literally!-14012012173.jpg

A submerged village

Explore and Experience New Vista's - Literally!-15012012195.jpg

Unventured Caves

Explore and Experience New Vista's - Literally!-unventured-caves.jpg

And these are just for starters!
Old 16th January 2012, 19:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Good pictures, last i visited this thread there were no pictures but did not want to disturb the flow of thoughts hence did not post.

The submerged village looks good, please continue with the rest of TL.
Old 16th January 2012, 19:58   #4
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Shocked to see the submerged village. What river flooded this? Tunga? Krishna? Godavari?
Was it really inundated with floods or is the photo making it look like that?
Old 16th January 2012, 22:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good start, its time for you to get a better camera :P, yeah i know another one to your list
Old 16th January 2012, 22:38   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Shocked to see the submerged village. What river flooded this? Tunga? Krishna? Godavari?
Was it really inundated with floods or is the photo making it look like that?

It's the "OWK Reservoir" which basically is used to store the excess water from "Srisailam Reservoir" which inturn stores water from "River Krishna".

What you see is real. All the houses are submerged in water till 2nd floor. Big trees and Electricity poles are almost fully submerged. Not sure what the story is, however it seems flood water could be the reason.
Old 23rd January 2012, 18:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
For the starters and for those who are eager to see what unfolds, here's what you would see.

And these are just for starters!
Fellows, I know I have taken too long to proceed with this thread any further. It seems like the main course is still being prepared. Well not really. Just tied up with a lot of work and therefore not getting time to even login to TeamBHP.

Let's say by next Tuesday it shall be all set and then shall resume the thread and make it exciting!
Old 15th July 2012, 20:53   #8
BHPian

Re: Explore and Experience New Vista's - Literally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
More to come.
Reviving this thread after 6 months. Not sure how time went by and could not update this log.

Well here we go again.

Starting off with some Black Bucks which are abundant in this bird sanctuary. You can see them upclose.

Explore and Experience New Vista's - Literally!-black-bucks-sanctuary.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks