Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2012, 02:07   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: The land of Khurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Yup, that's the case with almost everyone who visits the Rann, car or bike or on foot doesn't matter since the permit is for the person entering and the vehicle if any. The forest dept guys were complaining of it as well, in fact they have 2-3 guys who do patrol duty through the day only to catch offenders who have entered the Rann without permits. Given that the Rann has no fixed entry/exit points and the forest dept has a handful of men who are responsible for the 5000 sqkm area, it's no easy task to regulate entry into the Rann.

Next time you visit, do make it a point to get the permit. BTW, the resort guys at Desert Coursers did get the permits for our entry each day and charged us for it accordingly.
Sir ji,

In my 2.5 years in Amdavad, I tripped into Kharaghoda atleast 7-8 times and crossed the Rann from Tikar side once.

Many more chaps have gone into the Rann basis my directions (mostly bikers) and not one guy has ever been asked for the same either!

That said, last I went in 2007, the forest department board was there (from 2004) but no office/staff was ever around to issue the permits.
Old 1st April 2012, 11:47   #32
BHPian

Re: The land of Khurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Sir ji,

In my 2.5 years in Amdavad, I tripped into Kharaghoda atleast 7-8 times and crossed the Rann from Tikar side once.

Many more chaps have gone into the Rann basis my directions (mostly bikers) and not one guy has ever been asked for the same either!

That said, last I went in 2007, the forest department board was there (from 2004) but no office/staff was ever around to issue the permits.
Well, may be things have changed since 2007 which is good! There are designated forest guides that you can get from the forest office for a fee. Of course, this is optional and you can choose to explore the area on your own too, at the risk of losing track especially without GPS. But I do agree that the govt isn't doing too many visible efforts to conserve the area. For example, the Nava Talav area which is either bordering the sanctuary or may be even within, has huge irrigation pumps installed every 50 meters or so, after 7AM, the entire area is just humming to the sound of those diesel engines leaving no choice for the wading birds but to stay away.

Most of LRK is under the protected Indian Wild A$$ Sanctuary that is home to the last standing population of the khurs in the world and a variety of other species found in this region. So I do think that some form of regulation is required to keep a count of people moving inside the area. The locals however aren't required to have any permits, but they know that the khurs enjoy more rights than the people and are always respectful of the wildlife that exists there. Recently there were reports of flamingo poaching in the area which is quite sad.
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2012, 15:19   #33
BHPian

Re: Khushboo Gujarat Ki - A road trip to the birding paradise

Wowwww Amol... Those are some mindblowing fantabulous pics. Every single pic was so perfect and clear. Just wanted to know what camera and lens do u use/possess. and how long have u been doing photography

Man u got awesomatic talent. keep the good work going.
Old 5th April 2012, 19:39   #34
BHPian

Re: Khushboo Gujarat Ki - A road trip to the birding paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamizha View Post
Wowwww Amol... Those are some mindblowing fantabulous pics. Every single pic was so perfect and clear. Just wanted to know what camera and lens do u use/possess. and how long have u been doing photography

Man u got awesomatic talent. keep the good work going.
Thanks Thamizha, I've been into photography for about 4 years or more now.

I think I've already mentioned details on the gear earlier in the thread, here's the link : [COLOR=#0066cc]http://wildzests.com/p/my-gear.html[/COLOR]
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks