Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2012, 22:44   #46
BHPian

Re: Inn the Wild

Wow, wonderful ! Envy you... wish to stay in that tree house once
Been there in this part of K`taka many times, but never knew this type of accomodation available. Thanks Nilanjan for sharing the pics, fantastic! Your travelogues are exotic. It`d be good to know more about how to book these places Rated Five *
AvonA7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:18   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderful Travelogue!. Nicely documented.

Nobody else is showing the Nilgiris and the forest around better than you. This thread deserves a 5* Rating.

Cheers
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:35   #48
Senior - BHPian

@Avon, nkrishnap: thanks folks!

I am planning to visit the place again once the rains start. Maybe in June., Have heard that the place looks very different - trees full of leaves, long grass....

Apparently the elephants and gaurs roam around close to the resort during daytime in the rainy season.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 2nd April 2012 at 12:40.
Old 4th April 2012, 15:46   #49
BHPian

Dear Nilanjan,
The one thought that instantly comes to fore is that you are totally utilizing the potential of the Fortuner to your advantage. Your excursions into the wild are inspirational anecdotes.

Truly, one of the few T-FORTs I've come across, that have seen this much Jungle!
Kudos !!

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 4th April 2012 at 16:00.
Monaro CV8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2012, 13:57   #50
Senior - BHPian

How come i missed this

Nilanjan, thanks for exploring a nice place and we know where we should plan our drive next!!

You are correct when you say that the owners of these places who bought in sixties - before restrictions came in - have advantage as they can move around in restricted area. Else, you have to do only road safaris during the day or night.

I remember when we stayed in Jungle retreat some ten years back. There was an excellent young naturalist by name Daniel. We were going for for afternoon safari and could not see any animals. Then he said "Let us explore some new areas and i will take you to restricted zone". We went along. We were stopped by the forest guys and Daniel spoke to them and tipped them Rs 100 and we were in virgin forest - i think Shingara area - and had a blast. Herds of elephants, herd of bison, deer etc were feast to our eyes. It was sunset time and the experience was lovely which we cherish.

Now that Nilanjan has given us a chance to stay in this area, we shall grab it .
Old 6th April 2012, 16:43   #51
Senior - BHPian

Thanks folks! Yes, my Fortuner has done quite few kms on jungle trips.

@ Fauji: keep us posted on how it goes. I plan to visit again when the rains come.

This resort is adjoining Mudumalai, and is actually closer to Theppakadu than to Masinagudi, as the crow flies. Checked that on GPS/Google Maps. The jungle safari road is through reserve forest, not through Mudumalai.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 6th April 2012 at 16:46.
Old 2nd July 2015, 20:32   #52
BHPian

Hi Nilanjan, I am going to Inn the Wild on 18th July so I wanted some information on a couple if things.

1) I was wondering if a Duster can handle the road to the resort. A friend who went last week with an Ecosport said that there is a stream you have to cross with large boulders. He left his car in the parking lot near the checkpost and took a ride in the resort's vehicle.

2) Google maps show two roads, one starting just before Masinagudi and reaching the resort gate directly. The other road, marked as Singara road, is shown to reach Singara Checkpost. This is the map location that opens when the link on the resort website is clicked but the road ends at some Pykara hydroelectric power station with no connection to the other road whatsoever!

Can you please send me a screenshot of the map with the route you took? It will help me plan my drive.

Thanks & regards,

Rajesh
Old 3rd July 2015, 17:03   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcrawler View Post
Hi Nilanjan, I am going to Inn the Wild on 18th July so I wanted some information on a couple if things.

1) I was wondering if a Duster can handle the road to the resort. A friend who went last week with an Ecosport said that there is a stream you have to cross with large boulders. He left his car in the parking lot near the checkpost and took a ride in the resort's vehicle.

2) Google maps show two roads, one starting just before Masinagudi and reaching the resort gate directly. The other road, marked as Singara road, is shown to reach Singara Checkpost. This is the map location that opens when the link on the resort website is clicked but the road ends at some Pykara hydroelectric power station with no connection to the other road whatsoever!

Can you please send me a screenshot of the map with the route you took? It will help me plan my drive.

Thanks & regards,

Rajesh
Though its addressed to Nilanjan. I went there in May, so let me answer...

1. I wouldn't risk a Duster. I have a Scorpio 2wd. The resort guys said, it will make it, but I didn't want to risk it, especially without 4wd. Now with rains the track will be very slippery. You will understand when you make that bumpy ride in their Gypsy

2. Ignore google maps to this place. Rather type your destination as "Singara Power House". You need to take a right turn at Masinagudi town if you are traveling from Mysore side. When you are about to take that right turn, call the resort guys. They will be there when you reach the power house. Park your car just before the power house entrance. Its safe to park there.
Old 3rd July 2015, 18:35   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras1 View Post
Though its addressed to Nilanjan. I went there in May, so let me answer...

1. I wouldn't risk a Duster.

2. Ignore google maps to this place.
Thank you for the info. My friend went there last weekend and he told me this, "If you love your Duster even one bit, you'll leave it at their parking lot".
Considering what you also add, I think I will listen too wise counsel!

Thank you once again.
Old 4th July 2015, 21:24   #55
BHPian

Lovely pics.

Pardon my ignorance, but why do you have that extra mirror on the left side. How does it help?
How much was the cost of the treehouse?
Old 4th July 2015, 21:42   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwatiS View Post
Lovely pics.

Pardon my ignorance, but why do you have that extra mirror on the left side. How does it help?
I am hazarding a guess that it shows the left rear tyre and its surrounding areas. One of the blind spots, especially when reversing etc.
Old 5th July 2015, 20:56   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I am hazarding a guess that it shows the left rear tyre and its surrounding areas. One of the blind spots, especially when reversing etc.
But wouldn't the normal rear view mirror do that job just the same?
Old 5th July 2015, 23:14   #58
Senior - BHPian

This is an old thread :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcrawler View Post
Thank you for the info. My friend went there last weekend and he told me this, "If you love your Duster even one bit, you'll leave it at their parking lot".
Considering what you also add, I think I will listen too wise counsel!

Thank you once again.
The road is not that bad. A lighter small SUV such as the Duster should be able to do it IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Quote:
It can be used to check the area near the front left wheel/left side, or the front - e.g. how much space is there, for tight situations. Depends on what angle you use.

I haven't been there for ages, might pay a visit.
nilanjanray is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 16:05   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
This is an old thread :-)

The road is not that bad. A lighter small SUV such as the Duster should be able to do it IMO. ......I haven't been there for ages, might pay a visit.
Thank you. You are the only person who said that the Duster could do it Everyone I have asked so far, both here on Team BHP and outside of it, seem to be very cautious about testing it on that road. I have driven up Anamudi Shola with this trusty Dusty and it came out without a squeak.

I'll call the resort a day before we leave and check the weather and current road condition before taking a firm decision.
Old 6th July 2015, 23:29   #60
BHPian

Quote:
The regular left rear view mirror would not show you the terrain below the left wheel as it is placed behind the wheel. The convex mirror ahead of the left wheel is meant for that. A simple case of optics. The convex mirror would even show you the point where your left bumper would be approaching too.
Unavowed_X9 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks