Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2012, 17:11   #16
adc
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar tr

Thanks so much for the wonderful words, it definitely was an experience, whether it be the ride, the flight or ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
I have met Arjun Majumdar of India Hikes and he is a phenomenal guy. Now i know where to look for!!
Yes he is, and his simple and straightforward ideas can be seen from his writing. He was in the first group of Jan 22 and we met at Leh as our trek started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDestiny View Post
Time to pack for a trek!!
It sure is! - the Himalayan summer treks are just about to start with the ice starting to melt by April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushkark View Post
Well can you write-in a bit about the preparations you carried out?
As written on post 2, the trek is not that difficult, lets get that myth out. The altitude gain is minimum. What is required is, as said, tenacity as the day in day out cold and the ice landscape will make you long for going back unless you enjoy and look around.

The full trek would also test one's tenacity much more, so decide which one to go for.

And of course, fitness is required but again normal fitness as that we have will be enough for this trek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
I am also planning to travel to Leh - Ladakh on first week of may, can you please help me with some insights as to how is climate, any problem related to breathing, any good contacts of taxi and any recommended hotels is most welcome or should i go with tour packages
In early May, the roads may not open - so plan likewise, though the Srinagar roads open before than the Manali one. Weather in May will be cold around like that of a mild to moderate winter Delhi. Spend a couple of days in Leh before further journey, and altitude problem if any that you or other travel members may have, would go away. Dont worry about that too much!

When in doubt about all these, definitely go through a travel package, otherwise the whole travel enjoyment would go out. I would PM you a travel taxi and hotel contact that I got during this trip.

Last edited by adc : 13th March 2012 at 17:14.
adc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 17:47   #17
BHPian

Re: A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar tr

Thanks for sharing your experience adc!

The ladakh travel always makes me humble by the sheer fact that what's adventure for us city-dwellers, is actually a hardship for everyone who stay in those extreme conditions through the year. And in spite of all that, they are the ones who enjoy the little happy moments of life unlike us where we're always after something bigger.

The Zanskar trek is definitely one of the celebrated treks and in the recent years this has helped the locals as well through employment opportunities. Though we can challenge whether they really need all the tourism or not (given that not everyone understands the sanctity of the place and the need to preserve the originality), I feel such trips do help in spreading awareness about the region and the people there. I definitely support your perspective that while we're there, try and employ services of the locals directly rather than use some of the bigger tour companies and also spend time with the locals since there's a lot that they can tell you from their simple lives.

A walk in the mountains would have been a very different experience than riding or driving that we usually do. I still haven't planned a trek, but reading through your travelogue, a seed is sown!
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 08:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
In early May, the roads may not open - so plan likewise, though the Srinagar roads open before than the Manali one. Weather in May will be cold around like that of a mild to moderate winter Delhi. Spend a couple of days in Leh before further journey, and altitude problem if any that you or other travel members may have, would go away. Dont worry about that too much!

When in doubt about all these, definitely go through a travel package, otherwise the whole travel enjoyment would go out. I would PM you a travel taxi and hotel contact that I got during this trip.
thanks friend for the help, for the roads may not open - you are referring to which road? I am not planning for a trekking and looking only for city tours. is it ok
ruchirtnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 10:07   #19
BHPian

Mindblowing effort and stunning pics. Its amazing to see frozen landscape amidst barren non-snow capped mountains. The whole of ladakh is a must pilgrimage for any avid traveller.

Thanks a ton adc, for sharing these with us. Humbling!
Rated 5 stars!
rahul_sinha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 12:07   #20
BHPian

Awesome, simply awesome! Great narration and fantastic pics mate. Could connect to many a thoughts of yours, especially taking the experience in its entirety.
lordofgondor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 14:35   #21
BHPian

Quote:
The full trek would also test one's tenacity much more, so decide which one to go for.

And of course, fitness is required but again normal fitness as that we have will be enough for this trek.

Modesty, indeed, from a man who mesmerizes us every six months (he is changing that frequency now and upping the anté by going more often!). And to rub it in, the wifey and Bambi go along and are equally game, making us wonder just where our own courage is!!

Thanks, ADC... As always, awesome stuff.

rajeevn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 16:12   #22
BHPian

Hey adc, your travelogue is a perfect blend of biking & trekking with mesmerising snaps. Awe inspiring!!!
padikpanther is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 16:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

This is Unbelievable!!! Amazing!!!! Krazzy!!!! Huge!!! i will run out of words for sure.....

Nature at its best!

Great work ADC
KSM-Vtec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 16:55   #24
BHPian

Amazing trek and lovely photos. Never knew such a trek existed. Fantastic stuff adc sir. Thanks a lot for the wonderful narration and images. Five stars all the way.
heman_369 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 17:28   #25
BHPian

This is just brilliant. What a place to trek! I'm still left with the hangover after reading your other T'log and this is giving me another high. Thanks for sharing some very precious pics. Btw, now I know you're a good rider too. Keep exploring guruji. You're travelogues are like tutorials to me.
aviorp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 17:33   #26
BHPian

Awesome!!! Me n my friends did stok kangri in Oct'11. The plan was to do chadar in jan/feb'12 time frame! Alas we couldn't thanks to the lack of leaves :(.

Amazing pics, will PM for any info for the next year. Keeping my fingers crossed!!! You should've tried taking your truck there !! Stok looks awesome!!!

Tejas
bantejas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 11:21   #27
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
The ladakh travel always makes me humble by the sheer fact that what's adventure for us city-dwellers, is actually a hardship for everyone who stay in those extreme conditions through the year. And in spite of all that, they are the ones who enjoy the little happy moments of life unlike us where we're always after something bigger.

Definitely support your perspective that while we're there, try and employ services of the locals directly rather than use some of the bigger tour companies and also spend time with the locals since there's a lot that they can tell you from their simple lives.
Very aptly said and For me, this pic really shows the determination and tenacity that each support staff/porter in all the adversity. The melted snow ice sludge make it much more difficult to drag the sled than it would be on hard ice. Many a place the whole sled with its weight is taken up like a backpack to go over the rocky mountain side in places where the Chadar is completely broken.
A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-image00173.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
thanks friend for the help, for the roads may not open - you are referring to which road? I am not planning for a trekking and looking only for city tours. is it ok
Was not suggesting trekking but thought you were thinking of a self-drive road trip to Leh. Looking at the overall picture, it would be better for you to go through a travel operator, preferably one from Ladakh itself, so that the costs are direct and no intermediary is involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_sinha View Post
Its amazing to see frozen landscape amidst barren non-snow capped mountains.
That's a very good observation, and that what makes this trek so unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Could connect to many a thoughts of yours, especially taking the experience in its entirety.
Thanks much. So are the mountains calling?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevn View Post
every six months
Again that's at stat that is significant. But anyway, this came up more as few things fell into place in the right time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padikpanther View Post
is a perfect blend of biking & trekking
Absolutely, and again thanks to Jawed for that phone call, - the ride would not have been if for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Nature at its best!
Zanskar during our self-drive in October and this time in cold winter months, unique it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heman_369 View Post
Never knew such a trek existed.
Now you do, and as said, even if it is for just a day or two, do taking in the experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
reading your other T'log
Thanks much, the other T' log is stuck at Tangole, and will have some delay on that for sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
Me n my friends did stok kangri in Oct'11. The plan was to do chadar in jan/feb'12 time frame! Alas we couldn't thanks to the lack of leaves :(.

Amazing pics, will PM for any info for the next year.
Absolutely, do let me know when you are going. And Stok will be for me this/next year. Any link for your pictures?

A few more images that I had.

A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_3899.jpg

A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_3970.jpg

A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_3984.jpg

A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_3986.jpg

Erosion patterns over the centuries as seen
A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_40001.jpg

A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_4399.jpg

A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_4057.jpg

Alpha male looks out and keeps them in line

A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_4297.jpg A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_4299.jpg

Blue and Gold
A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_4449.jpg A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_4548.jpg

A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_4090.jpg A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_4111.jpg

By day and at night
Name:  IMG_4210.jpg
Views: 1510
Size:  242.2 KB A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_4254.jpg

A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_4259.jpg

A Zanskari collects river water on a moonlight night. He was still enough for that 20-sec shot filling water into the can, before he started walking again. Light from his head torch is seen, and was very lucky to match the exposure time to my idea of how much time it would take for the can to fill .

A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_4277.jpg

A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_4351.jpg

A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_4369.jpg

And the trek goes on...

A Royal Enfield Bullet ride, a Flight and a sub-zero Ice Trek! [Zanskar Chadar trek]-img_4945.jpg

Last edited by adc : 15th March 2012 at 11:49.
adc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 11:30   #28
BHPian

Just mesmerizing!! Amazing work ADC.

Thank you so much for sharing..
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 13:21   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks much. So are the mountains calling?!
You're welcome mate! When are they not calling and it's been almost 3 months since my last sojourn to them. If only TML finalize the launch of Strome and I can start planning for a biggy sometime soon.

One thing's for sure, your latest travels have just made it all the more hard to wait. Guess need to plan a short one pronto. Thanks for the new addition (frozen river trek) of my must do things list.
lordofgondor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 14:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

A superb and an amazing photologue There are no words to describe the beauty of the region. I am sure you had a lot of fun and the fulfillment of this journey will last a lifetime.

Fantastic pics as well. The moonlight is so brilliant and clear that it feels like daytime. The camoflage of the goat is astounding as well. You have to scan the area carefully to make out where they are! You look at the surroundings and you realise how vast the whole surrounding is and how tiny we are in front of nature.

O.T: Does the ice on the river break while walking? What happens if your boots get wet in cold water? Do you have to stop and unfreeze your cold feet?
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks