Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2012, 18:04   #16
BHPian

Re: Exploring the Anaimalai Rain forests around Valparai

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
@himavanth nice travelogue there. Surely the cool Valparai is hotting up among our TBHPians now. We are also planning to join the bandwagon and visit Valparai.

On accomodation, so did you guys change the hotel afterall or drove back home straight. In terms of budget accomodartion (read your range), what are the better hotels / properties out there and did you get a chance to check them if you changed over from the first resting place.
Apart from tea estate bungalows, which are on the expensive side, budget hotel options in Valparai are few. Among this, Green Hill Lodge & Krishna Inn are the better ones. Go for Green Hill Lodge first, if rooms are full there, then go for Krishna Inn. Contact number for Green Hill Lodge is 04253 222861/862/863. The contact person's name was Mr. Jose. Don't know if he's still there. Rooms were in the range of Rs. 1000 to 1500. Don't know if they have hiked the tariffs. If you are going for other options, make sure to see the room first. Hope this helps.
Nutty Nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 08:45   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
Wow. This looks completely different. I can see why you said 'the charm of the rope bridge has gone'. Also there are a lot of bushes around too. Now they have cleared it all and it is plain land there with very little wild grass.

During your trip in 2009, was there a forest guard to accompany your group while going to the Lawson falls? Also what were the entry charges then to the reserve?
In 2009 there was nothing around - no guards & no entry fees. There was 1 tea shop guy who directed us but did not come along. I remember a broken down govt office after the small concrete bridge.

& there was an Engg student who was smoking "medicinal herb" & mugging up for his exams while we reached the falls.
Skyline GT-R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 13:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Nair View Post
Apart from tea estate bungalows, which are on the expensive side, budget hotel options in Valparai are few. Among this, Green Hill Lodge & Krishna Inn are the better ones. Go for Green Hill Lodge first, if rooms are full there, then go for Krishna Inn. Contact number for Green Hill Lodge is 04253 222861/862/863. The contact person's name was Mr. Jose. Don't know if he's still there. Rooms were in the range of Rs. 1000 to 1500. Don't know if they have hiked the tariffs. If you are going for other options, make sure to see the room first. Hope this helps.
Thanks Ranjith for the stay options and contact nos. Was not aware till now that there were other budget hotel options in Valparai except for the tea estate bungalows.

We would like to go for a budget option this time and later when we are in a bigger group, rent out a cottage in the tea estates (as mentioned by others these cottages can accomodate more than one couple hence makes sense with a group)
Old 27th May 2012, 12:55   #19
BHPian

There are some homestays inside the city itself @ Rs 1,000/- 1,500/- which does not offer much apart from rooms & beds. We were 4 & stayed in such a homestay for Rs 1,000/-. There were no bills, business cards etc.

We were taken there by a local guy (guide type) who tagged along when he saw us searching for an accommodation. Had his number, but lost it while updating the phone software.
Old 29th May 2012, 10:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Given that they were basic, how were they in terms of cleanliness and did they serve any food or was it necessarily outside. Do post some pics if you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
There are some homestays inside the city itself @ Rs 1,000/- 1,500/- which does not offer much apart from rooms & beds. We were 4 & stayed in such a homestay for Rs 1,000/-. There were no bills, business cards etc.
Old 29th May 2012, 20:07   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Given that they were basic, how were they in terms of cleanliness and did they serve any food or was it necessarily outside. Do post some pics if you have.
Sorry I don't have pictures of the homestay.

It was very clean, had fresh sheets/hot water & all. Food had to be parcelled in from a nearby local restaurant (decent restaurants were very few there).

If you are in a outstation regd car, i think the "guides" spot you & offer homestay arrangements, as per my experience.

I normally do not book accommodations anywhere because i feel the best way is to see, like & then bargain.

Not practical if you have family/kids.
Skyline GT-R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 16:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

More details of places to Visit in Valparai:

1. Cinchona Direction ( Anamalai Forest checkpost direction)
  • Koolangal River - 2km
  • Lower Nirar Dam - 14km
  • Ministers view - 10km
  • Chinnakallar Dam, Upper Nirar Dam - 16km
  • Lawson Falls and Rope Bridge - 17km

We went all the way upto Lawson falls and rope bridge. The entry fee is 1245 for 8 people and 2 cars. At lawson falls and rope bridge, one has to park car and walk for about 3-4 kms up and down. A forest guard will accompany the group for this visit to ensure everything is kept clean and we dont walk into the jungle too much or take up dangerous tasks like jumping from the waterfall top.
Himavanth - where did you get the permission/pay the fees for visiting Lawson falls/Rope bridge? Thanks in advance for the info
Old 10th September 2013, 16:19   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Himavanth - where did you get the permission/pay the fees for visiting Lawson falls/Rope bridge? Thanks in advance for the info
You can get this permits directly when you reach the entrance of the rain forest. No prior permits are required. It is best to reach the entrance by 9 AM. I think the last permits are given at 4 PM and people have to be out of the forest region by 6 PM.

However for Grass hills permits are given in Chennai. For stay at top slip, the permits are given at Forest department office in Pollachi.
himavanth_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2015, 16:53   #24
BHPian

Quote:
However for Grass hills permits are given in Chennai. For stay at top slip, the permits are given at Forest department office in Pollachi.
Nice post. Did you had to engage 4wd (4Hor4L) in any part of this journey ? If yes, please specify which route ?
Old 27th March 2015, 17:27   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuMacher View Post
Nice post. Did you had to engage 4wd (4Hor4L) in any part of this journey ? If yes, please specify which route ?
None of the routes that I have taken did not require me to engage 4wd. All the trails are doable in any sedan as well ( I am not sure if 4wd needs to be engaged in rainy season.)

Note that I did not get permits for Grass hills. Also I did not have enough time to reach top slip. So I will not be able to comment if a 4wd is required for those.

Last edited by himavanth_m : 27th March 2015 at 17:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks