Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2012, 06:30   #16
BHPian

re: Predator conquers NH2 - Kolkata to Delhi EDIT: Now once again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Thanks. Delhi is a fantastic city to drive in, wide roads with almost no potholes. After enduring that hellhole called Eastern Byepass for 3 years, Predator deserves better roads!

Yeah, yeah, enjoy while you're at it. I got 3 challans within a week of coming to Delhi, and now they're off for good. Damn the stupid judiciary system.
Not to rub salt on the sun film wounds you just sustained just wanted to let you know that out here the EM Bypass is completely relaid now. Actually the contractor was hoping that the monsoons would rip it apart quickly just after he had relaid it. Unfortunately he depended too much on the met department predictions. As a result the newly relaid portion has solidified into a beautiful tarmac. I am now having wide grins on my face as Bagheera gallops eagerly down the EM bypass stretch everyday. Not a single pothole and the lack of rains has not helped the cause of the local road contractor either. I am hoping it stays this way for the next 12 months at least.

Quote:
Thanks. You wouldn't believe this, but within a week of moving here, my cousin (who stays in Delhi) gifted me the "Outlook Traveller guide to 52 weekend trips around Delhi"! I'm already planning a trip to Uttarakhand next weekend. Stay tuned!
But this makes up a million times for what you have have given up here in Kolkata. I will be suffering from a mixture of thrill and envy every time you are on those weekend trips. Frankly there are some fab places in UK and HP to spend some out of the world weekends. I guess all your weekends for the next one year is booked . Will eagerly wait for those travelogues.
Old 27th June 2012, 08:46   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice to find your travelogue about "conquering" the NH2 is finally published. Especially at a time when I've just concluded my 30th trip about 2 weeks ago, and waiting to run the 31st at the end of this week.

Interesting to note about your lunch stop in the middle of nowhere. The golden rule about finding good food (and a safe stop) on any highway is to look for half a dozen trucks parked outside, not a couple of Tata Safaris!
Quote:
...Barhi was nothing more than a stinking roadside Kasba. The so called hotels were actually dirty dhabas...

"Look look, we just passed an AC restaurant!". ...A white Tata Safari ... was parked in front. ...2 waiters (in vests and lungis)...
A couple of Bhaiyajis came in another Safari... entered to check us out. ...and thankfully no trouble ensued.
If we don't want to get out in the heat, or don't like the looks of the place, our usual policy is to ask for some roti and dry sabzi, and eat on the move. Experience has taught us that carrying food in the car saves a lot of time while travelling, and doesn't leave us starving either (as happened to Kolkata's resident D-BHPian, who was practically left starving recently since the afternoon till the next morning! More about that later!).

About your GPS, yes, it's sometimes a pain in the nether regions to navigate highways and travel inter-city based on GPS directions, though they work perfectly well within the cities. I just found out 2 days ago that the Kalyani Expressway is not updated on Google Maps/Waze, and GPS was making me divert all the way to Barasat before connecting to the KEW, whereas I can actually get on to the KEW from Birati. Asking for directions from local folks on bicycles is usually no help either - the truck/bus driver knows better!

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 27th June 2012 at 08:48.
Old 27th June 2012, 09:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

Man, three challans already in a week!!
You can't escape from Delhi police, isn't it? IMO they are among the most efficient lot in the entire country.
You gotta be careful here and follow all the rules.
Now that you are preparing for your next weekend trip, looking forward for the travelogue. Have fun in the capital city.
Old 27th June 2012, 13:51   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I got 3 challans within a week of coming to Delhi, and now they're off for good.
What happened? The films gradually faded away and disappeared after you paid the third challan? What were you thinking - that all cops in Delhi and Gurgaon would develop cataracts if you kept paying those challans a few times?
Old 28th June 2012, 14:03   #20

Aniket congratulations for your new job and completing the Delhi trip. Your varanasi experience really saddened us but please do visit again during winter with a trustworthy guide(priest) and we are sure you shall know THE true face of Varanasi . on a different note - your critique on the bengali film "Abohoman"
was wonderful.
sanjoy50 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 21:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Not to rub salt on the sun film wounds you just sustained just wanted to let you know that out here the EM Bypass is completely relaid now. Actually the contractor was hoping that the monsoons would rip it apart quickly just after he had relaid it. Unfortunately he depended too much on the met department predictions. As a result the newly relaid portion has solidified into a beautiful tarmac.
What???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Nice to find your travelogue about "conquering" the NH2 is finally published. Especially at a time when I've just concluded my 30th trip about 2 weeks ago, and waiting to run the 31st at the end of this week.
Your modesty always surprises me dada. Even after I've publicly acknowledged that you're the champ of this road, right at the beginning of the travelogue, with even a link to yours! What do you want me to do, go on public television and acknowledge you?

Quote:
What happened? The films gradually faded away and disappeared after you paid the third challan? What were you thinking - that all cops in Delhi and Gurgaon would develop cataracts if you kept paying those challans a few times?
Offho, don't stay too long in Kolkata. Poriborton is getting to you, or at least your sense of humour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoy50 View Post
Aniket congratulations for your new job and completing the Delhi trip. Your varanasi experience really saddened us but please do visit again during winter with a trustworthy guide(priest) and we are sure you shall know THE true face of Varanasi . on a different note - your critique on the bengali film "Abohoman"
was wonderful.
Thank you dada, I do plan to visit Varanasi again. And I'm surprised to know you actually follow my Movie review thread. FYI, a fresh post is coming up there this weekend.

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 28th June 2012 at 21:03.
predatorwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 21:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and doesn't leave us starving either (as happened to Kolkata's resident D-BHPian, who was practically left starving recently since the afternoon till the next morning! More about that later!).
SS, you know that those who live to drive are genetically different. Moment they get into a car, their alimentary canal, esp its two ends, morphs into a extended service period/ low maintainence item!

Quote:
About your GPS, yes, it's sometimes a pain in the nether regions to navigate highways and travel inter-city based on GPS directions,
I strongly believe that all tourers should have a GPS. Not so much for navigating, but for recording where one has been.

@Aniket: Why conquered? Can't one live in harmony with the road.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 28th June 2012 at 21:34.
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2012, 00:03   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Moment they get into a car...
Correction - only when they get into the driver's seat.
Old 29th June 2012, 11:48   #24
BHPian

Dada, travelogue khoob bhalo... awesome roadtrip and well documented and clicked. Although you borrowed a lot of pics from SS but still wil give you good marks. So NH2 is conquered now, what next?

Good to see the predator munching all these miles in its stride without any hiccup. It forded maoist territory with swords and spears pointing at it (btw topchachi had a recent blast involving lot of policemen and fatalities), it forded varanasi where cheating is part of the pilgrimage, it forded deep UP territories with keshu firangis ready to rob you off in the dark and now its into Delhi, well what to say...

Rated this log a deserved 4, btw I will be in kolkata and then to bokaro steel city over the weekend, will be staying in kolkata though for the most part and that too at the airport, any chance you there and we can catch up?

Quote:
Yeah, yeah, enjoy while you're at it. I got 3 challans within a week of coming to Delhi, and now they're off for good. Damn the stupid judiciary system.
3 challans is a week, dada thats one for probably every state that you covered in your trip. Delhi police doesnt eat alone, they do take care of their HR-UP-JH brotheren.

so now the sun films are gone? Do post the pic of semi-naked predator

Last edited by Technocrat : 4th July 2012 at 00:07. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread. Thanks.
Old 29th June 2012, 12:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Correction - only when they get into the driver's seat.
If one is comfortable in the car, it does not matter who is driving. If one is not comfortable with the others driving, then rest assured he is scared $..tless. And food is the last thing on his mind then. So as far as maintenance activities go, result is the same!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 23:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post
Dada, travelogue khoob bhalo... awesome roadtrip and well documented and clicked. Although you borrowed a lot of pics from SS but still wil give you good marks. So NH2 is conquered now, what next?
Dude, I borrowed just 2 pics from SS-Traveller, and that too called him up first and took permission. Otherwise it'd have destroyed the rhythm of the narrative, you see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post
Good to see the predator munching all these miles in its stride without any hiccup. It forded maoist territory with swords and spears pointing at it (btw topchachi had a recent blast involving lot of policemen and fatalities), it forded varanasi where cheating is part of the pilgrimage, it forded deep UP territories with keshu firangis ready to rob you off in the dark and now its into Delhi, well what to say...

Rated this log a deserved 4, btw I will be in kolkata and then to bokaro steel city over the weekend, will be staying in kolkata though for the most part and that too at the airport, any chance you there and we can catch up?
Baapre, you made the trip sound really adventurous! And FYI, I live in Delhi now, can't meet you at Kolkata.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2012, 10:07   #27
Team-BHP Support

Loved the log and was intrigued at the part where priests out there are trying their best to rob you.

Ironically, it is true almost everywhere. Recently visited Deoghar, Basukinath & Tarapeeth and it has reaffirmed my belief of them being hardened chors.

Now I either say that I am not here for a Puja/Darshan or merrily say (when with family & is obvious), I am offering Rs. 101. Do whichever Puja you can at this amount. Won't pay a single paisa more.

The whole charm of traveling & visiting temples & sacred places vanishes the time you encounter these nincompoops.

So, you are staying put @ Delhi for the time-being?
Old 31st July 2012, 01:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

Aniket da,wonder how i missed this travelogue! Ever since i saw your status in facebook about your trip was eagerly awaiting for it.Just finished reading it and it was excellent.

Hopefully shall do such a trip one-day.Its just that Indian highways are littered with such patheticly driven vehicles,that increases the accident rate and deters people from travelling by car.People dont realize that we now have 4-lane connectivity to almost all major cities,which is a major improvement from a decade back.

Did a small Kolkata-Mandarmoni trip last winter which was my first long distance drive and it was not problem technically.Good roads,availability of food,petrol and the K10 fully loaded was doing good speed.But its just the crazy state-buses,the lumbering trucks in the fast-lane,Trekkers,cycle-wallahs which were the only risk associated with driving on highways.

Your wife took most of the pics?She has a good eye for photography!

A new Predator has hit the delhi streets now.The local supercars should be wary.

Last edited by avishar : 31st July 2012 at 01:07.
Old 31st July 2012, 08:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Loved the log and was intrigued at the part where priests out there are trying their best to rob you.

Ironically, it is true almost everywhere. Recently visited Deoghar, Basukinath & Tarapeeth and it has reaffirmed my belief of them being hardened chors.

Now I either say that I am not here for a Puja/Darshan or merrily say (when with family & is obvious), I am offering Rs. 101. Do whichever Puja you can at this amount. Won't pay a single paisa more.

The whole charm of traveling & visiting temples & sacred places vanishes the time you encounter these nincompoops.

So, you are staying put @ Delhi for the time-being?
Sorry to have missed your post buddy. Thanks for the compliments, though I must say this travelogue has received more comments for the Varanasi incident than the "travel" itself!

Yes, I have a job in Delhi and am staying put here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Aniket da,wonder how i missed this travelogue! Ever since i saw your status in facebook about your trip was eagerly awaiting for it.Just finished reading it and it was excellent.

Hopefully shall do such a trip one-day.Its just that Indian highways are littered with such patheticly driven vehicles,that increases the accident rate and deters people from travelling by car.People dont realize that we now have 4-lane connectivity to almost all major cities,which is a major improvement from a decade back.

Did a small Kolkata-Mandarmoni trip last winter which was my first long distance drive and it was not problem technically.Good roads,availability of food,petrol and the K10 fully loaded was doing good speed.But its just the crazy state-buses,the lumbering trucks in the fast-lane,Trekkers,cycle-wallahs which were the only risk associated with driving on highways.

Your wife took most of the pics?She has a good eye for photography!

A new Predator has hit the delhi streets now.The local supercars should be wary.
Thanks buddy. Kolkata-Mandarmoni would have been a good primer (125 kms, right?). Now get on to the highway to do some real trips. And don't worry about the traffic on highways. Most NHs have now evolved into 4-6 lane wide strips where a car driver has adequate space to zoom through. Risks are omnipresent, but do you think train travel (under an omni-absent Railway Minister) is any less dangerous these days?

BTW, my wife only took pics on the first day. The 2nd and 3rd day pics have been taken by Arnab himself.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 19:28   #30
BHPian

Nice write up and pictures. Thanks for that. I was surprised you hadn't carried any readymade food stuff /eaties alongwith you which could have helped you on day 1 as you were hunting for a dhaba on a bad stretch.

I second your opinion on rip-offs happening at religious places in India and it is not restricted to Hindu places of worship. Happens at Dargahs too. I first visited the Kashi Vishwanath temple way back in 2005 after marriage(My wife happens to be from Varanasi) and walked out completely disgusted. It just takes away one's joy & peace which ideally one should have attained by visiting a holy place. There is Shiv temple in Jammu too where rogues posing as priests indulge in similar tactics and I got into an argument with one of them who warned me to walk away.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks