Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2012, 01:28   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway_star
Amazing ride!

Other than Iran, is there no legal procedure required to be done in advance to take the bike across borders?

I wish it was possible to get permission to ride across Pakistan, then such rides could be done starting from India too.
Hey Highway Star

Few have ridden across Pakistan recently, so this is not impossible.

I met a Czech gentleman in Iran who was riding a 1970s royal enfield diesel on a UP registration plate from new Delhi to Czech via pakistan. So we were doing the same route, he had just finished Pakistan and mentioned minor hurdles at the border. Since he bought the bike in india and was not carrying a carnet, he was losing time at border crossings. He said the bike does 80 kms per hour on a good day :P

Other than Iran, they didn't stamp the carnet anywhere! So it's pretty simple.

Cheers
Farooq
TJ06 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 13:53   #32
BHPian

Re: Dubai To London on a Triumph Tiger 1050!

This is a stupendous achievement Farooq.

Would you mind giving us the details on how you prepped up the bike, any specials mods etc.? I'm also especially interested in knowing how you worked the various driving permits across the EU and the UK. I'm sure the GPS must have been a lifesaver negotiating countless unknown roads/terrain.

Btw I'm equally sure the thought of your next mega-odyssey is already seeding in your head right now!
Omtoatom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 15:15   #33
BHPian

Farooq - You have my respect mate.

Did you require some sort of sponsorship from a big corporation/agency - for helping out with the purpose of the drive or did you manage it all by yourselves. My question is motivated by all the potential areas one would need to include in the planning process.

Best wishes - Motoringlover.
Old 13th August 2012, 15:48   #34
BHPian

Wow. That's some riding.
You must be really fit to do such a ride for so many days together, sleep compromised and stress on the saddle.
Its an achievement in my books.
Great going.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Thanks to TBHP I am getting to know so many things which I never thought was done and that too routinely.

So how did you get back to Dubai at the end of all this?
Old 13th August 2012, 21:27   #35
BHPian

Fantastic trip, TJ06.

That's definitely a trip to remember. Too bad our real life has time limits on everything. Great going. Cheers.
Old 14th August 2012, 15:23   #36
BHPian

TJO6, You have all my RESPECT buddy!!! You've actually successfully done what I had dreamt of and could partially achieve. Heartiest Congrats and wishing you many more such rides.

About the Czech driver that you mentioned, probably it was easy for him just because he was not carrying an Indian passport. When I was planning to do something similar, everything came to a standstill as far as travelling through Pakistan was concerned. Again with Firangs, the systems are very lenient with them for Carnet and Visas. If you are an Indian you need to have everything in place (Visas and carnet) before you leave your country :(
Old 16th September 2012, 22:30   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster

So how did you get back to Dubai at the end of all this?
Flew back to Dubai
Old 16th September 2012, 22:33   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover
Farooq - You have my respect mate.

Did you require some sort of sponsorship from a big corporation/agency - for helping out with the purpose of the drive or did you manage it all by yourselves. My question is motivated by all the potential areas one would need to include in the planning process.

Best wishes - Motoringlover.
Well it's a long answer but I will try to keep this short. The budget that I had for the ride was usd 10k which includes fuel, visas, food, hotel, spares, border crossing, phone etc etc. and I ended up with a cost of 8.5k nearly on the above. Apart from fuel and food, every thing else is pretty much ones own choice. So you may decide to stay in a five star hotel or a motel, is your call. I hope this answers your questions.

Cheers
Farooq
Old 16th September 2012, 22:36   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom
This is a stupendous achievement Farooq.

Would you mind giving us the details on how you prepped up the bike, any specials mods etc.? I'm also especially interested in knowing how you worked the various driving permits across the EU and the UK. I'm sure the GPS must have been a lifesaver negotiating countless unknown roads/terrain.

Btw I'm equally sure the thought of your next mega-odyssey is already seeding in your head right now!
You need only two documents to be precise - a carnet for the bike and the visa. No one ever asked me for an international driving license, although I was carrying one. It's issued locally for one year.

Yes the gps was a total life saver, specially in the cities where you don't want to waste time looking for a hotel or a specific store etc.

The bike had minimal mods - panniers, crash guards, touring screen, gel seat, center stand, charger for phone or other devices. I guess apart from the pannier everything here is ones own choice. However one mod I would strongly recommend is the gel seat, keeps you going without any pain!

Cheers
Farooq
TJ06 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2013, 00:54   #40
BHPian

Guys,

Another trip coming up in a couple of weeks time! This time I'm riding a Ducati multistrada S and my friend will ride a BMW GS Adventure.

Guess what the route is?!

Delhi to Khardungla and back to Delhi! The bikes are already on their way to New Delhi.
Attached Thumbnails
Dubai To London on a Triumph Tiger 1050!-image2653968690.jpg  

TJ06 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th May 2013, 11:41   #41
BHPian

I just bumped across this thread and I envy you for having such a wonderful trip of a lifetime.
Old 22nd May 2013, 09:54   #42
Senior - BHPian

Man oh man....Reading your trip report put me on a dream of riding the same route. Its as if i was sitting on your Triumph. Lovely motorcycle.

I don't know when I can ever do something like this. After reading this, I have to.
Old 22nd May 2013, 10:13   #43
BHPian

Farooq bhai, Congrats, Would be glad to read the whole trip report.Seems that you have just begun the trip. Is that pajero behind the sweet looking ducati?? keep us posted.
Old 22nd May 2013, 14:07   #44
Senior - BHPian

TJ05 - No words to describe my Amaze on reading this TL. Congrats man, you are you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ06 View Post
Guys,
my friend will ride a BMW GS Adventure.
Is he another BHPian? 1200 or 800?
Old 22nd May 2013, 14:45   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
TJ05 - No words to describe my Amaze on reading this TL. Congrats man, you are you.

Is he another BHPian? 1200 or 800?
The other rider is not a BHPian. However comes from Bangalore. He will be riding a GSA 1200.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks