Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2012, 15:03   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008
But you really should have driven a Ferrari. It is an experience you will never ever forget.
I was somehow sure I didn't want to at that time. Will be looking forward to a longer driving time if I can manage. The 10-20 min didn't sit well in my mind.
Pardon the pun, but it seemed like a quickie
Old 8th July 2012, 17:03   #17
BHPian

Re: Tifosi head to Modena and Maranello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaton View Post

So after handing over the well-traveled Fiat 500 to Europcar, and pointing out the chip in the windshield, which i had overlooked at delivery, but didn't want to get charged a penalty, they just waved it off without any hassles.
Vast difference from what I have experienced here. Even when hiring a bike in Goa.
The Europcar people didn't care about the cracked wheel rim cover of the Ford Focus I had rented in London, although they didn't process any refund for the rented GPS device whose charger didn't work.

I am looking at more details of driving in Italy. Can we drive without the IDP in Italy / Austria? If you took the IDP, please help me with the exact process you had to undergo for the same. In UK, the Indian license was good enough, but the travel sites claim that IDP is necessary in Italy.
Old 8th July 2012, 17:49   #18
BHPian

@ricky_speed I had taken the IDP along after much running around as my passport and driving license have different addresses. If you have no such issues, should be a simple enough matter with the local RTO.

Or as another thread on the IDP points out, the WIAA or equivalent will help you procure one too.

With regards to if it's required, there seem to be two opinions. No one even glanced at the one I offered at Europcar. They were happy with the chip smart card.

Austria is way better to drive around. Less chaotic and smaller cities. Super-clear road and highway signs. Free or cheap parking everywhere, except at Schloss Schonbrun (spelling?) Palace, Vienna, where it cost me 42 euros to park for 5 hours.
Also there were no toll charges on the Austrian Autostradale. We drove from East to West and dropped off the car at the end and took a night train to Venice.
With your GPS unit, should be a breeze. Though they don't insist on it, better to drive with DRLs throughout.

Italy also accepted my smart card license. Didn't even look at the IDP. Though I would recommend being on the safe side and get one before you go.

Italy is much bigger and takes much more driving time, especially if you plan to traverse the country like I did. So keep enough driving time and plan your stay accordingly.

We were stopping every 3-5 hours Autostrada drive time. Toll at every major junction and you can pay it with your credit card for a small transaction fee.

Avoid Italian city centers so that you don't get saddled with fines from the ever present Traffic Cameras.

There are huge number of cameras all over Italy and this is not to scare you but it just means extra careful driving: Speed traps outside villages, highways, city centers, special lanes, congestion zones and so on.

A lot of communities and municipalities in Italy make millions of Euros every year not just from us, but all the tourists who drive down from all over Europe. Legally they have 365 days from the Contravention Recorded on Camera to process and send the fine to the address registered with say, Europcar and on your Driver's License. I've got the two mentioned above (so far) :(
Since the fines come 6-12 months later, it's like an EMI, drive now, pay later, ha ha!

So you pay Europcar a fee for providing your details plus the actual fine.

All said and done, learn from our mistakes and avoid making your own. Drive carefully, much more consciously than we Indians are used to and avoid the temptation to sightsee while driving.

Even if small mistakes happen, a driving holiday in Europe is well worth the few thousand extra.
Automaton is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2012, 20:27   #19
BHPian

Re: Tifosi head to Modena and Maranello. Visiting Ferrari's Home in a Fiat 500

That is some unbelievable stuff. Thanks for sharing.
Now I know which place to visit in Europe. The pics are surreal, especially the ones from the Ferrari museum. Keep up the good work.
Old 8th July 2012, 20:58   #20
BHPian

@utopian I feel these are the moments that keep us going through the rest of the year.

Needn't be Italy or Germany, the annual Vintage Fiestas, the various collections scattered all over the country are equally amazing. Want to see those too!
Old 9th July 2012, 13:10   #21
BHPian

Thanks for the insights! Why did you take a train to Venice ? Was it just to save time and reduce driving or is it hard / expensive to pick a car from one country and return it to another country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaton View Post
Free or cheap parking everywhere, except at Schloss Schonbrun (spelling?) Palace, Vienna, where it cost me 42 euros to park for 5 hours.
That's insane! I thought the machine has gone crazy when I was asked 5 GBP for 1 hour in Birmingham. They had only full day parking charges on weekend in the building I parked. At 42 Euros, it might be wiser to park and ride no matter how much you love driving - after all 80 Euros were getting you those 10 minutes in a ferrari!
Old 9th July 2012, 13:43   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_speed View Post
Thanks for the insights! Why did you take a train to Venice ? Was it just to save time and reduce driving or is it hard / expensive to pick a car from one country and return it to another country?

That's insane! I thought the machine has gone crazy when I was asked 5 GBP for 1 hour in Birmingham. They had only full day parking charges on weekend in the building I parked. At 42 Euros, it might be wiser to park and ride no matter how much you love driving - after all 80 Euros were getting you those 10 minutes in a ferrari!

Well I had to rest for a bit. Hence the train plan. You can hire it across countries and leave it at any Europcar office that you want if you have paid for that option.

In fact the drive from Southern Austria to Italy is one of the most scenic drives in the world. Farmlands and Mountain section that is breathtaking. Keep some time for that if you can. Check this site, it's very comprehensive, with useful info and tips: Karen Brown's Travel: Reviews on Hotels, Bed and Breakfasts & Inns with Trip Planning Itineraries and Guidebooks

If you are taking the train, please confirm your train ticket before you go.

I reached the station, and discovered that the German train we had booked was cancelled suddenly!

Horrible experience. Had to cross over to Italy in the night, with just 1 seat for 2 people, that too because I protested and the officials finally stamped a "Passage Allowed" on my ticket.

Also got the one seat because we met Mr Singh from Bihar (the Ticket Collector in charge of the 'General' bogies ) Now I know how their 'Third Class' feels like, haha.

For the car hire options, you can check for prices when you go, depends on season and availability. So for us, it was working out slightly higher across countries. Can be different for you. Also, there is no point of having a car in Venice.

Secondly wanted to drive different cars in both countries. So opted for Skoda Fabia in Austria (was thinking of a Fabia as a second car at that time) and a Fiat 500 'local' car in Italy.

There is no way I will put down 20L rupees here and drive it so took that chance. I would suggest you go for a better car, with an engine more than 1.2 Litres, as you have to travel quite a bit cross country.

Also a I found that booking via a US based site (AutoEurope) was costing me lower than booking directly through Europcar, for the same dates and car!

Some of these sites also help you cross subsidize stay, mileage points, etc.

Let me know if you have anything else that I can help you with.
Old 9th July 2012, 19:05   #23
BHPian

Amazing Write-up! Your first effort in writing a travelogue is appreciated and that sea of red ferrari's makes me drool o'er them. I think this time, I would also go to maranello and visit this place. Awesome photographs! These cars awake the child in my heart.

I repeat again, AWESOME!

S@ndy
Old 10th July 2012, 01:12   #24
BHPian

Oh boy! Oh Boy! This is awesome! Let me wipe the drool off my keyboard before continuing.

First of all, I Loved the pictures! Though it would've been awesome had the resolution been slightly higher! Second, WHY DIDN'T YOU DRIVE A FERRARI? :0 Even if it was expensive, I am sure it would've been totally worth it.

Anyway, great report, fabulous cars and a very special place. Thanks for sharing.

P.S. - Could you please tell me what is this one called? Never seen it before but it looks absolutely fantastic! Thanks:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...-image-130.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...-image-131.jpg
Old 10th July 2012, 17:29   #25
BHPian

Thanks S@ndy and Abhinav667.

Here it is for you. It's a slightly larger picture. Again a rare collector's car that has been imported for display and will be sent back after 6 months at the Museo. So probably when you go for your own Pilgrimage to Maranello, you might just post a car that we didn't see, from another collector.

1950, Ferrari 195, V12 producing 170 bhp. Not bad for that year.
Attached Thumbnails
Tifosi head to Modena and Maranello. Visiting Ferrari's Home in a Fiat 500-f150.jpeg  

Last edited by Automaton : 10th July 2012 at 17:33.
Old 5th February 2020, 10:07   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Bumping an old thread to ask a question:

Will be in Italy late March. Wanted to visit Maranello, is that possible as a day trip from Rome and will I be able to return to Rome by night? I know Maranello is much closer to Venice and Florence and it makes more sense to visit from there, but the thing is I have more days in Rome and so thought it made sense to use one of those days to visit the Ferrari museums in Modena and Maranello.

I see fast trains between Rome and Modena (with a changeover at Bologna). The question I have is about the practicality of leaving from Rome on the first train, visiting the Ferrari museum at Modena, using the Ferrari museum shuttle to the Maranello museum and returning. On paper with the timings online it seems doable. Would be grateful if anyone who has been there could clarify. Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks