Team-BHP - Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/124703-safari-2-2-vtt-tmt-4500-km-self-drive-central-arunachal-exploratory-expedition-2012-a-3.html)

That is one spectacular expedition! Clocking more km in Arunachal than Kashmir to Kanyakumari! Really appreciate the sheer spirit that goes into simply saying "Ok lets do this" to such a trip! Top rated!

Nice pics too... I wanted to check on one thing - I saw some mud-roads etc in the pics, but nothing far worse than mumbai roads... so were there any roads along your journey which you think a Safari (or 4WD) was an absolute must on? Any patches that say an Alto, Manza or City would simply not be able to drive through?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPearl (Post 2872743)
Sutripta Da, I am game provided it can be completed in 10-12 days.

Very very doubtful, until and unless you take it as a challenge (not a tour), ticking checkboxes. And I'm thinking of Calcutta, Ranchi, Patna, Gangtok, (Thimpu), Guwahati, Shillong, Itanagar, Kohima, Imphal, Aizawl, Agartala.

For 10 - 12 days Bhutan or Sikkim.

Regards
Sutripta

PS. Lets not pollute ADCs wonderful thread.

Great travelogue, you are inspiring people of to travel more. Thanks ADC.

Also, it seems a Tata vehicle is the best to use in such journeys, if the car breaks down, it would be easy to fix locally.

Raneesh

Hello adc,
After going through the travelogue I must say , you can be a perfect example of what the famous Tata Safari ad says "Reclaim Your Life".
Your Safari ownership is definitely an example which would tempt and inspire many to own this beast and do such wonderful trips.
Hope to see more expeditions from you in the future.
Nicely explained wonderful travelogue and pics !

ADC, as usual wonderful words and pictures. Please complete the Travelogue before you take your next one, otherwise we would be kept gasping.

Great travelogue as always, Anirban, as also great pics.

Incidentally, I am sure getting your alignment and suspension bush replacement done in AR at an FNG would have also saved you a lot of money vis-a-vis getting it done at the TASC. Correct me if I am wrong.

Hey ADC, Lovely travelogue, you are really out there doing stuff we all just make plans about. I am curious, did you get the OEM bearings at this mechanics place itself or were you carrying replacements? Also how was the environment with regards to travelling with your family, going by the recent events and also feedback from friends from Calcutta I have always been advised against travelling in the North-east, I am told there are just too many variables and troubles. However after seeing it through your eyes I think I should make plans for next summer. Thank you very much for sharing, you are a pioneer of sorts on the forum. Definitely a 5 star.
Manmohan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 2871837)
But ADC, lack of traffic is why I prefer this route! But I agree, do it in daytime. For a number of reasons.

Definitely the journey through the upper highway to Assam is beautiful as it goes through beautiful forests and tea gardens. But then as soon as Assam is entered and with the night fall it is was quite errie plus bad roads even for a SUV. Sudden check posts were coming up and no way one can make out if it was police people or just someone with a fake blockade - to solve that we halted a checkpost and picked up two police personnel who were waiting for their service bus to come! and we breezed through the check posts.

The congested Boxirhat has very well defined bypass through villages, which all the local drivers know of and whatever be the length of jam, one can take these roads. But then driving is nowhere scenic like that of NH31C.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 2871837)
While the others are busy zipping up and down the GQ, I always wanted to do 8 (or 9 or 10) E/ NE capitals in one trip. Game?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 2874850)
Very very doubtful, until and unless you take it as a challenge (not a tour), ticking checkboxes. And I'm thinking of Calcutta, Ranchi, Patna, Gangtok, (Thimpu), Guwahati, Shillong, Itanagar, Kohima, Imphal, Aizawl, Agartala.

Regards
Sutripta

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPearl (Post 2872743)
Sutripta Da, I am game provided it can be completed in 10-12 days

Thanks a very interesting idea and planning of roads and sequence is much required - if done definitely a fanastic travelogue and experience surely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pranav4x4 (Post 2874452)
Any patches that say an Alto, Manza or City would simply not be able to drive through?

Nothing. Hill people all over favour Sumos and Maruti Altos - all vehicles can do this journey - the places were we have gone in this travel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raneeshvijayan (Post 2874882)
Also, it seems a Tata vehicle is the best to use in such journeys, if the car breaks down, it would be easy to fix locally.

Raneesh

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 2876733)
Incidentally, I am sure getting your alignment and suspension bush replacement done in AR at an FNG would have also saved you a lot of money vis-a-vis getting it done at the TASC. Correct me if I am wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manmohanmaan (Post 2878136)
Hey ADC, Lovely travelogue, you are really out there doing stuff we all just make plans about. I am curious, did you get the OEM bearings at this mechanics place itself or were you carrying replacements?

Actually wheel rotation was not done for long and thus did rotation over at the roadside tyre repair shop.

And again due to the various journey including the Zanskar and Kashmir and this one and in between some rough travel, the bush change was overdue. Since could not go to the workshop for a checkup before the travel and knowing that the bushes have gone much abuse, was looking for a shop where to change those.

Now some of the parts and bearings are common as that of Safari and Sumo, and hence there was no such problem over at Daporijo. Specific Safari parts would be a problem definitely, but with Sumo auto components for some, it can be serviced in most of the areas travelled.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manmohanmaan (Post 2878136)
Also how was the environment with regards to travelling with your family, going by the recent events and also feedback from friends from Calcutta I have always been advised against travelling in the North-east, I am told there are just too many variables and troubles. Manmohan.

We have been travelling as a family in all parts of India, whether be it through interior Chhattisgarh or Orissa or at Changthang or interior Kashmir or in Arunachal. What you hear and listen and what in reality is different most of the times.

As for me I discount "breaking news" or painting a whole State as troublesome, instead rely on local knowledge of bus and truck drivers, Sumo persons, and tea shops that we stop in between. All our travels have a lot of local interaction.

All said and done, I would just say be comfortable with your drive or travel, if you feel uneasy about don't go about that journey. Travel is for enjoyment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adc (Post 2878293)
Sudden check posts were coming up and no way one can make out if it was police people or just someone with a fake blockade - to solve that we halted a checkpost and picked up two police personnel who were waiting for their service bus to come! and we breezed through the check posts.

That is the major reason. The other is that at night one cannot make out which of the two flanks to take.

I normally go off the NH slightly after Gossaigaon. But I guess for the near future, that option is closed.

Quote:

Thanks a very interesting idea and planning of roads and sequence is much required - if done definitely a fanastic travelogue and experience surely.
I'll leave the planning to you!

Regards
Sutripta

Along to Mechuka, West Siang, 220 km approx

Next day early morning, on a slightly overcast day, we are exited. We again travel more northerly to a new land and lesser known place called Mechuka, just around 30 km from the Indo-China border.

Quote:

Mechuka is a small town nestled 6,000 feet (1,829 m) above sea level in the Mechuka Valley in West Siang District of Arunachal Pradesh, India. Mechuka Valley is home to the people of the Memba tribe. They are mostly the believers of the Buddhism and speak Memba, Adi, Hindi and English. This place of Arunachal Pradesh is known for both its religious and historical significance. The major tourist attraction here is a 400-year-old Buddhist Monastery, which is located at a hilltop in the western most part of Mechuka

Mechuka is gradually becoming a popular tourist destination in Arunachal Pradesh due to its Scenic beauty and exotic tribes. High hills, snow-capped mountains and River Siyom are the major attractions..

Mechuka a Sub-divisional headquarter, is a quaint town with a picturesque valley near the Indo-Tibet border. One can get a great view of snow covered mountain peaks and snow fall during the winter. Mechuka Lake is a high altitude natural lake with pristine natural beauty. One can see the Buddhist Monastery (Samtem Yongcha of Mahayana sect) one of the oldest Buddhist monasteries in Arunachal situated on a hill top overlooking the valley.

Nestled in the Eastern Himalayas, Mechuka, the forbidden valley of Arunachal Pradesh is blessed with stunning beauty of blue hills, rivers and lush green forests.Among all the alluring places of Arunachal Pradesh , Mechuka valley is one such place where you can behold the exotic charm of the mother nature that can mesmerize you at the very first glance. Mechuka valley is the home to the people of the Memba tribe who are mostly believers of Buddhism.

The prime attraction of Mechuka is an ancient Buddhist Monastery called Samten Yongcha of Mehayana sect. This 400 year old monastery is perched at a hilltop in the western part of Mechuka valley. This gompa or monastery is contemporary to the great Tawang monastery in the state. Mechuka is also embellished with numerous ancient statues. It is said that around five sanctuary ago, the teacher of the Sikh religion Guru Nanak once visited Mechuka and has done meditation at the origin of the river Siom.

It is just 29 km away from the Indo-China international boundary and had played a pivotal role during the Indo-China war of 1962 and is one of those places which can be visited throughout the year. The weather of this place always remain pleasant due to its proximity to great Himalayan mountain ranges. Source: Wikipedia and link

Early morning, on an overcast day, we leave from Along towards Mechuka, a 220 km journey

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7458.jpg

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7454.jpg

And soon again we enter virgin jungle roads and lands, as move ahead
Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7470.jpg

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7477.jpg

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7483.jpg Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7496.jpg

River Siyom takes a turn at West Siang, Arunachal Pradesh - brilliant yet menacing. River Siyom is formed by join of two rivers Yom and Go

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7444.jpg

Mechuka and Manigong are located on either side of each other

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7486.jpg

And the jungle road and land continues...

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7494.jpg

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7510.jpg

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7520.jpg

We enter into Mechuka circle, the actual town and valley is still some distance away

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7521.jpg

Then a stop at this roadside shack for afternoon food and tea

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7528.jpg

A road is being constructed that would connect Mechuka and Tato with Nacho via Tahila, but that may still take timeSafari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7551.jpg

And our journey continued as we stopped as and when we liked!

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7556.jpg Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7582.jpg

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7587.jpg

Name:  IMG_7596.jpg
Views: 2105
Size:  240.2 KB

Finally after an exhilarating drive, entering the valley of Mechuka. From a distance, itself it was beautiful. Almost a "Ladakh but with greenery" like place suddenly emerges as the jungle road descends into this valley

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7620.jpg

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7625.jpg

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7629.jpg

Again the drill was the same - with no bookings went in search for the circuit house/inspection bungalow, and got a room. Relieved, but there is also a private hotel in Mechuka. In fact Mechuka you can camp even, a beautiful valley it is

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7637.jpg

Mechuka town as seen from the IB, it was an overcast day today with looming black clouds on the horizon

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7638.jpg

We arrived around evening time, so went to the town and surroundings as long as daylight was there. And saw a very confident young man pumping out a tyre by a cycle pump.
Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7645.jpg

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7646.jpg

Mechuka is by River Siyom. Just before entering Mechuka, a natural river bank is located and we went back to that place again.
Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7679.jpg

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7682.jpg

Mehcuka - High hills, snow-capped mountains and River Siyom are the major attractions. Home to the people of the Memba tribe, mostly believers of Buddhism
Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7703.jpg

As dusk fell, we returned back to the Inspection Bungalow. The fire that is seen on the hillside has been lighted purposely so that the old grass is burnt away and new grass with rains grow more vigorously for cattle-stock pasture land. So nothing to be alarmed!
Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7718.jpg

And we huddled around in that small yet cozy room as another day of fantastic travel ended. Tomorrow again is another exciting day as we explore more of this beautiful town of Mechuka and we further north, almost to the MacMahon line of India-China border - towards Yarlung and end of road.

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7724.jpg

contd..

Mechuka/Menchukha --> Yarlung/Yorlung, end of road near India-China McMahon Line --> Mechuka -- 15 km

Yarlung or Yorlung
is the last post till where one can travel and has an Army base camp for forward posts on Indo-China border. Yorlung is located at an altitude of more than 8,900 feet above the sea level.

Morning Mechuka - it rained all through the night and morning was overcast and sometimes a slight drizzle
Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7735.jpg

Early morning passed the quaint houses of this beautiful valley as we climbed again through the forests road/track towards Yarlung

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7744.jpg

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7982.jpg

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7766.jpg

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7907.jpg

Quote:

From Samye Monastery the Guru proceeded southwards towards India. Crossing through La-Khanya, he reached Menchukha a place where Lord Shiva, one of the Hindu Trinity is said to have meditated. Guru Nanak was enchanted by the place and stayed for sometime at Menchukha and meditated. He went back to Tibet and brought his followers of Memba sect from Dakbo-Kongba area and got them settled in Menchukha valley. There from through Tibet he proceeded towards Gelling-Tuting valley in March 1916.

Near Pemoshubu, there is a hill at Segong Dorgilling on the top of which there is one Gompha (Lama Temple). Along with Lord Buddha’s idol it has life sized idol of Guru Nanak, which the Membas (local tribe) worship. A regular fair is held in the month of January at this place. A Lama told the author, “The monastery had a book of Guru’s Shabds in their language which was destroyed in a fire about fifty years ago”. The head Lama of this monastery had been visiting Gaya as well as Amritsar.

Guru Nanak is said to have visited Shekhar-Bhumja and Dojeeling in Menchukha valley as well. Regular fairs are held in February at these places. Fairs coincide with the dates of Guru Nanak’s visit to these places. Calculation of the days and dates is as per Tibetan Calendar.

Close to Mechukha, there is a snow white cave. Guru Nanak is said to have meditated in this cave also. It is said that Guru Nanak stayed in this area for about 3 months. According to the local Membas, Guru Nanak brought them from Southern Tibet and got them settled in the valley and became far better off from their previous place. In their songs they give out the legend of their settlements. Source : http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-g...ru-nanaks.html

Historical Gurudwara and Hanuman camp falls on the way to Yorlung.

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7919.jpg

With overcast clouds and rains, we thought of touching the Yarlung base first and then halt over here on the return back to Mechuka

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7976.jpg

A dip and a skid en route we moved on towards the end of road at Yarlung

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7796.jpg

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7771.jpg

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7832.jpg

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7853.jpg

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7787.jpg

Finally after a slow yet most enchanting drive, we reach Yorlung, where the road ends and ITBP soldiers trek towards the Indo-China border. Being a very sensitive military base, this is the only long shot image of the place
Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7809.jpg

Asmita and Bambi, thewanderers, and Safari VTT-TMT at Yarlung, West Siang, Arunachal

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7813.jpg

After some time spent there and some interesting interaction with an officer at Yorlung, it is time for the return journey to Mechuka

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7822.jpg

And that mud pack part of track was less dramatic as it was a downhill journey

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7847.jpg

On return we stopped at Hanuman camp and Gurudwara
Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7860.jpg

It was a relaxed day today though weather was a bit of dampener. Some time spent with the locals who were working over here, including that rifleman huntsman. Interesting interactions and talk again of their lives and times.
Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7920.jpg

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7944.jpg

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7950.jpg

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7971.jpg

Now back towards Mechuka and the beautiful valley
Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7997.jpg

The rains stopped and we just walked or drove around the town and outskirts. Mechuka is one of the most enchanting places we have seen till now. It has that old town of "Ladakh feeling" yet with greenery and lush vegetation.

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7648.jpg

Safari VTT-TMT at Mechuka

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7898.jpg

Mechuka has an ancient Buddhist Monastery called “Samten Yangcha Gompa” located on a towering hill

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7649.jpg

and some random images...

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7890.jpg

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_7894.jpg

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_8029.jpg

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_8002.jpg

So as another eventful day ends and dusk falls, we retire early. Tomorrow we move on to Upper Siang district of Arunachal, to Yingkiong, for a further travel towards Tuting and end of road, again near India-China border at Gelling.

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_8045.jpg

contd...

Mechuka, West Siang, to Yingkiong, Upper Siang

So after some well spent time in Mechuka [again as I emphasize a must visit place in Arunachal], we move now to the adjoining district of Upper Siang. The district headquarters is Yingkiong and we are headed now to that town to base ourselves for the next day journey towards Tuting and further northwards to the LAC border of Gelling.

Early morning start for Mechuka as it is a 12-hour journey via Along again and then to Yingkiong.

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_8053.jpg

Fully overcast day with looming black clouds as we headed towards our first stop at Along.
Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_8077.jpg

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_8092-1.jpg

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_8084n.jpg

And breakfast at roadside shack as overcast clouds loomed large

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_8094.jpg

And a temporary halt...

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_8103.jpg

And another favorite pic of VTT against the pristine tropical forest background
Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_8100.jpg Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_8081n.jpg

Reached Along for our afternoon lunch break at the same Hotel Toshi Palace
Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_8110.jpg

And soon again the journey continued towards Yingkiong, another 4 hrs around from here

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_8126.jpg

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_8114.jpg Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_8154.jpg

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_8121.jpg

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_8162.jpg

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_8169.jpg

There are some major slidezones just before entering the town and we were lucky in that this was cleared just in the morning after a gap of 2 days.

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_8166.jpg

Finally a hurried shot as we entered the town of Yingkiong late evening. We had to fix up a place to stay

Safari 2.2 VTT-TMT -4500 km self-drive Central Arunachal exploratory expedition, 2012-img_8172.jpg

Yingkiong is a small town. Late evening with falling light and overcast clouds, we again went in search of circuit house - which has only a few rooms and was it full. The caretaker told me that the only other option is another budget hotel, where luckily we got accommodation just in time as night came around. A quick dinner of what the hotel could arrange and we were off to bed, tomorrow we make another journey northwards - towards lesser known places of Tuting and Gelling. And torrential rain fell all through the night....

contd...

The saying 'It is not the destination so much as the journey' befits you adc sir.
You have such a wonderful family that can make even the most trecherous journey look simple. What an amazing thread!

Marvellous, fantastic and way to go Mate. A true wanderer travellogue, indeed. Another one from you like this and I shall start thinking about changing my Handle here at bhp. Am getting depressed, lolz. At the end would you please make it a point to specifically write the places you need permits for or a single permit for the entire AP will do from Tezpur? Also is it safe to camp outside in these regions? seeing armed hunters is there dangerous wildlife very common? But please continue your excellent narration.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MohsinRoadster (Post 2880995)
The saying 'It is not the destination so much as the journey'

Thats exactly is the essence of this journey - the road and tracks and suddenly the lesser known or unknown destination that come up along with the different interactions that take place with the locals and those tea and food stops at the local food shacks - it has been a great journey!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderernomad (Post 2881342)
At the end would you please make it a point to specifically write the places you need permits for or a single permit for the entire AP will do from Tezpur? Also is it safe to camp outside in these regions? seeing armed hunters is there dangerous wildlife very common? But please continue your excellent narration.

Absolutely, will post at the end info about permits and some the points and misconceptions that go about with Arunachal and its remoteness.