Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2012, 19:12   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Firozabad : PRODUCTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller
The necklace of glass beads worn by this child is said to retail in the UK for 60GBP.
Wonder what you mean by UK, because in the location usually referred to in the expansion of this acronym, it is available for ₤15 or less in upmarket shops on Oxford / Regent Street. The value outlets would sell it for less.
I never went shopping for glass beads in the United Kingdom . Neither in Uttarakhand... But thanks for the heads-up on prices in Oxford/Regent Street.
Old 19th August 2012, 22:20   #17
BHPian

Re: Firozabad : The City That Handles Glass With Care!

Thank you so much for bringing us this beautiful Travelogue on the Art of Glass in Firozabad. Your detailed explanation to various products made there along with the beautiful photographs have been an eye opener. "Car After" shows what a treasure trove Firozabad is. rated 5*
Regards.
Coooolcat21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 11:44   #18
BHPian

Thanks to this detailed travelogue, I couldn't resist going to Firozabad on my trip to Agra yesterday. Since I was short on time, I visited only two stores, one of which had to be the "Gupta Glass House" mentioned in the travelogue! Though I didn't end up buying anything as I found the better quality glassware in the shop was actually made in China and the local ware made the ancientness of the local production process very obvious. The awesome photographs totally glorify what I found to be not exactly exemplary.

I also visited a Chandelier selling shop nearby but neither the prices were lower than what I found at Bhagirath Place, Delhi, nor was the range of products more. I guess I should have spent more time in the town to find the right places. In any case, I think Firozabad is popular for Bangles more than anything else! Just wanted to share a different opinion. Another town visited!
ricky_speed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 19:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Thanks SST for sharing the travelogue. Very informative. It makes a good weekend trip from Delhi.

Any favourite shops with good deals?
Old 26th December 2012, 00:46   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Any favourite shops with good deals?
As I mentioned earlier, this was our first and only visit to the city. No favourites. Also I was a little surprised about the made in China part in the previous post. None of the coloured glassware we bought was made in China, but was of pretty good quality, though a few of the decorative items were clearly Chinese, and no attempt was made to hide that fact.
Old 27th September 2014, 04:40   #21
BHPian

Well, I am so glad to read on Team BHP on this small city of Firozabad!

To give a small background on my connection with Firozabad, I had to go here every alternate week for 2 days stay on official visit. Tata Chemicals is the largest soda ash Indian manufacturer and it is a key raw material in glass making, right from bangles to glass to all types of glass (container glass, pressed glass, blowing, etc. etc.) While I was located in Noida (March 2013 to August 2014), Firozabad constituted 60% of sales in my region and there were occasions when I had been there almost every week for 2 days.

This brings back memories for sure. At the end of Yamuna Expressway, Firozabad is like 20 kilometers left and Agra is 20 kms right, virtually making it equidistant from Delhi - sans the Agra traffic.

This city and bangles/decorative glass items have a historic connection and every home, every child dreams of doing something in this field here. Reason for low cost is also that it is a big hub, but government has given huge subsidies on industrial gas supply owing to pollution concerns around Taj. Thanks to this move on gas, these glass makers are not using charcoal as that has led to many TB cases and Firozabad has India's first ever Tb special hospital due to this. Other reason why glass is so cheap is the use of child labour, a horrifying reality but then helplessness of humans and need of those children is an altogether different subject of discussion. The overall glass industry is in trouble due to rising gas prices is a different story altogether.

For a small town like this, I was surprised with the quality of food at Monark Hotel, they seem to have a 3-star standard chef in place. Very costly restaurant, bar and hotel even by Delhi standards, but food quality is excellent. Very good hotel for stay and I have stayed umpteen number of times here.

There are more shops that you can explore along the Railway Station Road in the interiors other than those few found on the highway.

In one of my travels to this place, I had taken my Punto out due to missing a train. During return, gave lift to an employee on toll plaza along Yamuna Expressway and had nice chat with him regarding the expressway working, etc. This would be shared in a separate thread later!

But yes, if you are in Delhi or near, a visit to Firozabad for your home decoration would surprise you for sure, cost and decoration basis, both!
ameyawaghmare is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 10:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

I see this thread a week too late! My mom was in agra in her first visit to the north. I wish i had told her about this place as she has a fascination and good eye for stuff to decorate the house(how i wish i had got her eye for details).

Great thread SST and thank you as this is not the usual places folk visit.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 13:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
As I mentioned earlier, this was our first and only visit to the city. No favourites. Also I was a little surprised about the made in China part in the previous post. None of the coloured glassware we bought was made in China, but was of pretty good quality, though a few of the decorative items were clearly Chinese, and no attempt was made to hide that fact.
Loved reading the log SS. Reminds me of my visit to Firozabad in 2004. That time the road from Agra was horrendous and all the while I was thinking if I happen to buy any glass artifacts, how would I transport them back in one piece on these broken roads.

I totally agree with the Chinese stuff comment and that was the reason I ended up not buying anything from Firozabad. Instead I went to Chandani Chowk and picked up all my requirements (glass lamp shades + chandeliers) from there. They were cheaper in Delhi than in Firozabad.

What I believe is that Firozabad glass industry, apart from bangles, is living on mostly exports these days. And whatever export quality stuff created from glass that I saw was simply amazing. The hand crafted things were of super quality and had a very neat finish.

Thanks & Regards
deky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 22:16   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Firozabad : HISTORY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

Firozabad with the changing time has entered in to new era of glass manufacturing, it has become a major hub of manufacturing different glass based items and has registered its global presence, diversifying its industrial base and encouraging ancillary industries including chemicals, packaging and more of service sector based industries have flourished in a short span of time.

Pics by OP | Text Source 1 | 2
SS-Traveller, thanks to your travelogue I spent 2 hours and 18 minutes in Firozabad helping the economy fuelled by the purchases of my mother, aunt, daughter & wife - a true four prong GDP booster. We had gone to the Chambal valley for a short vacation and passed through this crowded, noisy, non-descript town. After the driving pleasure of the Yamuna Expressway Firozabad is a jolt to reality. My wife is an olympic champion at shopping and knew this place was famous for glass ware. I kept discouraging her and firmly said I will not be stopping here unless she has definite proof through a travelogue or something. And I thought that will fix the problem. After all who would write a travelogue on Firozabad. Right?!?And lo behold she actually found a travelogue on the net by none other than SS-Traveller et tu brother. We shopped at the Gupta House in your thread and met the very same owner photographed in there. I lay down on the grass in the Jain mandir next door and chilled out. The dickey of the Volvo XC60 and Superb were jam packed with boxes which surely will get distributed to myriad undeserving relatives!!

The owner of the safari lodge we stayed at (in the Chambal area) said she did all her glass shopping from this Gupta Glass House. Prices were surprisingly low. Maybe because he produces his own wares.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 1st January 2016 at 22:27. Reason: Additions
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks