Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2006, 23:01   #1
BHPian

Planning a Bangalore-Kodaikanna trip help reqd ??

Hi All

Coming weekend me and my friend are planning to drive to kodaikannai from b'lore in a ZEN ...Since we are very new to b'lore i would like to know from other fellow b'lorian members,abt the route should i should take to enjoy the ride the most..Also any bit of advice you have in mind...Once back i will be posting the pic in the forum..

waiting for suggestions and advice

Thanks

Jango

MODS : Am not sure if i posted this thread in the right place. Pls do the needfull

Last edited by jango : 24th April 2006 at 23:03. Reason: xxx
Old 24th April 2006, 23:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

I have driven to Kodaikannal from Bangalore a few times... Twice in the last year actually !!

Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Salem-Namakkal-Karur-Dindigul-Kodaikannal, approximately 480 kms.

This is the better route, I have used the other route (Palani) and there are some horrible stretches in between.

Anything else you need, just PM me
Old 25th October 2006, 12:09   #3
BHPian

I drove from Blr to Kodai in a Zen in August (Independence day weekend). Followed the same route:

Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Namakkal - Karur - Dindigul - Kodaikannal. The entire stretch is NH, so driving is good.

Bangalore to Krishnagiri is a good road - almost half is a toll road so six lanes. After this the road narrows down to two lanes and the quality was also quite poor - lots of potholes and rough paches. After Salem again it improves though, especially around the Namakkal bypass. We didnt go through Dindigul, but turned right just before entering. This takes you all the way to Kodai and is also a good road.

We started very early (5 am) from blr to get out of the city before the traffic starts (Hosur road upto Electronic City can be a nightmare). Stopped at Salem for breakfast and reached Kodai in time for a late lunch.

The road has some heavy truck traffic though, especially very long tractor-trailers carrying windmill blades etc. Can be a nuisance to overtake.
Old 4th October 2007, 16:02   #4
BHPian

Bangalore to Kodaikanal

Hi folks,

I am planning a trip to Kodaikanal at the end of this month, starting from bangalore on 25th october and returning back on 28th october. My plan is to reach Palani on 25th evening and start to Kodai on 26th morning. Is this the right option or do you have any suggestions and which is best route to take and how are the road conditions? I will be going in my Maruti 800.
Old 4th October 2007, 17:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sada View Post
Hi folks,

I am planning a trip to Kodaikanal at the end of this month, starting from bangalore on 25th october and returning back on 28th october. My plan is to reach Palani on 25th evening and start to Kodai on 26th morning. Is this the right option or do you have any suggestions and which is best route to take and how are the road conditions? I will be going in my Maruti 800.
Yes if you want to go through Palani then this is the best option. However the Palani->Kodai road is narrower (almost like a single lane) and has a lot more hairpin bends (15+ I think). Road condition is good. (Just spoke to my colleague who did this route a few days back)

The Vathalagundu->Kodaikanal road is broader, two lane and easier to drive.
Old 4th October 2007, 17:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Yes, heard that Palani route has lesser traffic and more scenic...I did the other route last year, in case you require more info on it go through the following travelogue
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...l-madurai.html

Abhi
Old 7th October 2007, 02:22   #7
c10
BHPian

hi..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sada View Post
Hi folks,

The BLR - KODAI via PALANI is the best route.. its single & narrow road with less traffic compared to the other route.. i have been on this route (a yr ago) & there was no traffic at all !! My aunt runs a hotel there.. & she was the one who suggested me this route..

Try it out..
Old 18th October 2007, 14:13   #8
BHPian

Thanks everybody. Sorry, i am so late in responding to your responses. Write up by Akroy was excellent; now my Kodai trip seems like a second trip. Bye everybody and thanks once again for your prompt response. I will be sharing my experience after coming back.
Old 25th October 2007, 15:24   #9
BHPian

Bangalore to Kodai

Did the trip from Bangalore to Kodai in the first week of May this year.

As pointed out, I would suggest that while coming back, take the route via Palani. The route is very scenic. You will not be disappointed.

You can also visit the Shiva temple at Palani. Its very famous. The temple is on top of a hill and you can go up by cable car.

Palani to Coimbatore is 100kms. The route is so so and there's lot of traffic.

If you start in the morning from Kodai, then you can stop over at Coimbatore for lunch (assuming you visit the temple at Palani).

You can have lunch at Hotel Gowrishankar in Coimbatore bus stand. Ask anyone and they will guide you to this hotel. Food is very good. We were guided by lot of people to this hotel and were not disappointed with the food.

Regards
Ravi.
Old 26th October 2007, 00:07   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iridium View Post
You can also visit the Shiva temple at Palani. Its very famous. The temple is on top of a hill and you can go up by cable car.
It's Murugan Temple - Palani andavar and it's not a Shiva temple.
Old 26th October 2007, 08:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iridium View Post
Palani to Coimbatore is 100kms. The route is so so and there's lot of traffic.
Ravi.
You dont require to take the Coimbatore route for Palani

Abhi
Old 27th October 2007, 16:29   #12
BHPian

Sorry for the mistake. Yes it is a Murugan temple.
Old 27th October 2007, 16:30   #13
BHPian

Abhi - If you don't take the Coimbatore route, what is the route to Palani from Bangalore ?.
Old 27th October 2007, 16:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Toppur-Mettur-Bhavani-Perunthurai-Chennimalai-Gangayam-Dharapuram-Palani
Old 27th October 2007, 16:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Distances for Bangalore-Palani direct:

Bangalore-Hosur 40 kms-Krishnagiri 50-Dharmapuri 50-Toppur 30-Mettur 35-Bhavani 47-Perunthurai 25-Chennimalai 12-Gangayam 21-Dharapuram 31-Palani 42, totalling 383 kms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks