Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2012, 13:00   #16
BHPian

Re: Yet another Tata Nano trip : Phondaghat, Gaganbawda & Kaas

One word - WOW!! Excellent little 'logue there Mr. Silverado!

Your village and your home is really beautiful! I too love staying in such small homely villages. Reminds me of time when I have stayed at my relatives' in such interior villages and in konkan about 10 years ago.

And I have to say, the photos are really top notch! Really beautiful clicks!

Gaganbawda!!! What can I say! The most beautiful ghat in Maharashtra! It especially comes alive in monsoons! I had been to Goa on my T'bird last year and had used this ghat! Simply breathtaking!

Last but not least!! A round of applause to your little knight!! - Nano! It really did handle the roads well it seems! Really underestimated car this. But overall 20 kmpl seems a bit low doesn't it? But considering it kept a good 90-100 on highways plus broken roads and huge ghat sections it is fair. Possibly at 80 on highways and lesser bad roads it may given more?

Anyways enjoyed reading your 'logue! Cheers!
thumpingheart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 13:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

Wow ! Thanks for this . Will plan a drive to karul ghat soon . Already messaged my other driving buddies on this plan
Old 26th September 2012, 13:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post

Gaganbawda!!! What can I say! The most beautiful ghat in Maharashtra! It especially comes alive in monsoons! I had been to Goa on my T'bird last year and had used this ghat! Simply breathtaking!

Last but not least!! A round of applause to your little knight!! - Nano! It really did handle the roads well it seems! Really underestimated car this. But overall 20 kmpl seems a bit low doesn't it?
Thanks buddy.
It surely is a good place to be in moonsoon's.

There was hardly any traffic on Satara-Kolhapur road, hence driving at 80 would have been very boring ( even in a Nano ).

20kpl is on the lower side since it has been consistently giving me 22-23kpl on my pune-mumbai runs, but i am not concerned since car took lot of abuse from the roads which we travelled.

Anyone who has been on Sh116 or Sh115 recently will tell us how bad the roads are.

In fact it gave me 23kpl when i did tankfull in Kolhapur while going towards village on day1.

Gaganbawda Ghat is not very steep to be frank, except for one hairpin bend ( the pic of Asaid bus ), hence i never had to engage 1st gear.

Nano has done Bamnoli-Kaas ghat with 3 on board, IMO that ghat is steeper and narrow.
Old 6th October 2012, 15:27   #19
BHPian

Very Nice travelogue Silverado

The pictures and narration are really top notch. Rainy season in Konkan is like icing on the cake.
One really needs to enjoy its flavor and you being from konkan I am sure you would have enjoyed it to the maximum.

Thumps up for having courage to take & drive Nano for the entire trip
driving_smartly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2012, 18:26   #20
BHPian

Have been crossing the same route numerous times but when you watch through the lenses of some nature lover it looks so nice.

Have lived in almost all corners of Maharashtra. Lived for over a decade in Kokan. Due to my job had been to many countries but nothing can beat the beauty of kokan.

I still keep telling my wife that after I retire, we would be moving back to kokan in some remote village with a piece of land to farm. Hope kokan remains as pristine even then.

Coming back to foody places, just giving my views.

If one plans to breakfast at Kolhapur and have not been there so often, it has to be Kolhapuri Missal. A very spicy breakfast but man it is lovely. By and large all restaurants in Kolhapur serve good missal but the noted ones are Chorge, Ahar (not so far from Mahalaxmi temple just a little walk backwards
), Khasbag hotel (within walking distance of Ahar) Fadtare (in Udyam nagar). THough areas seems different basically all are close by and can be reached while driving from Kokan to Kolhapur CBS.

If one is driving from Kolhapur to Pune, just after PethNaka on the left side there a hotel by name Dutta Bhuvan. Don't miss meals here if you are fond of non veg food. One can't believe that such a simple and humble place attracts crowds of Kolhapur's Whos who.

Looking forward to more photos.

Rgds,
sindabad.sailor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2012, 13:35   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post

Thumps up for having courage to take & drive Nano for the entire trip
Nothing courageous about it buddy, it drives like a normal car and is very reliable up till now.

It just looks difficult from the other side of the fence

I hope you have gone through my earlier log - Tata Nano goes on 970km piligrimage, that was a bit risky IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post

I still keep telling my wife that after I retire, we would be moving back to kokan in some remote village with a piece of land to farm. Hope kokan remains as pristine even then.

If one plans to breakfast at Kolhapur and have not been there so often, it has to be Kolhapuri Missal. A very spicy breakfast but man it is lovely.
If one is driving from Kolhapur to Pune, just after PethNaka on the left side there a hotel by name Dutta Bhuvan.

Rgds,

After retiring : Thats a idea everyone dreams of, but its not so easy to execute i feel since life is quite tough.

We reached Kolhapur at lunch time, but will surely try misal some day.
Thanks for Dutta Bhuvan , will try it next time i visit kolhapur.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 17:35   #22
BHPian

Superb superb pictures, that Fuji is worth every penny spent and more.

We need to make plans to visit your village.
Earlier I had considered your offer seriously but now it's ON.
Old 22nd November 2012, 16:56   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
If your final destination is Tarkarli, why not try the Ajra - Sawantwadi route instead? This way you will be on Expressway for maximum time and you can bypass Kolhapur.

Kolhapur - Gaganbawda road is not in good condition, it took us 2 hours 30 minutes for 65 kms.
As you have traveled on both these roads recently, please advice - Between the two - 1. Radhanagari - Phonda Ghat and 2. Gagan Bawda - Karul Ghat, which road is in better condition?

I have to go to Kanakvali area and going via Amboli will be big detour.

Old 22nd November 2012, 21:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
As you have traveled on both these roads recently, please advice - Between the two - 1. Radhanagari - Phonda Ghat and 2. Gagan Bawda - Karul Ghat, which road is in better condition?

I have to go to Kanakvali area and going via Amboli will be big detour.

Both are in bad shape, but Gaganbawda karul will take less time since the distance is less as well ( Only 65 kms ) as compared to nearly 110 kms from phondaghat.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2013, 14:03   #25
BHPian

Hi Guys , Planing Devgad - Kolhapur via Gaganbawda in next week, any latest updated on condition of the road ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks