Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2012, 14:08   #1

Trip from Hyderabad to Maredumilli (with Video)

Trip to Maredumilli from Hyderabad - Complete Travelouge

Plan in Hand:

It was a very sudden weekend plan, that we decided to go on a long drive on my Figo Diesel (long drives becomes longer when on a diesel car, keep reading you will understand). The initial plan was to go to Papikondalu hills and take a nights stay on the Godavari river bed camp. That I have visited earlier, hence destination was decided as badrachalam and then take boat to Papikondalu.

Departure:

Started the Journey on Friday evening, expecting to cover the journey as a night drive and board the boat to Papikondalu early morning to reach our destination and enjoy the vacation early. As per the plan, packed everything, checked the vehicle for basic fitness (air, fuel, water etc.) and started off by 11:00 PM in the night.

The route we planned to reach was as below:

• Hyderabad to Suryapet
• Suryapet to Kammam
• Kammam to Badrachalam

Except for some patches on the way, the road overall was decent. We have few stops on the way for refreshment, fuel and changing hands on the wheel. We were a group of 5 and out of which 4 were drivers, so driving the stretch was never a pain. The drive was very smooth except for heavy fog at around 4 am on the way when we had to stop the car for a while and even drive really slow and careful.

Reaching destination:

The entire journey was neatly guided by GPS on my Android phone and was nicely fixed on to the windshield. The navigation system is so awesome that before any twist or turn was about to come, we were ready with the foot on breaks. It was a very confident and easy chore going on a navigated drive.

Finally, we reached Badrachalam around 6 am in the morning and had a light breakfast. Further, searched for a boat agent, who could help us, book tickets to reach Papikondalu and reached a boat booking office. Everything seemed awesome and exciting until we were shocked with a heart breaking news :(

Good, Bad & Ugly News:
The Good news was that boat tickets were available readily for sale, the bad news was night stay wasn’t available at Papikondalu and the ugly news was we had to either stay at Badrachalam or return back the same day.

We were not ready to accept the Good, Bad and Ugly solutions as we swore to have a good time. Again we picked up the Google Maps on the phone and started searching for the viable options other than a one day boat ride. Called up few friends and searched the web for an hour until we were struck hard by the lush green jungle vegetation shown 150 Km from where we were standing.

The BIG decision:

We were all tired from the whole night drive, but as real car lovers, deep within – we wanted more! We choose to explore further by choosing to go to the place referred by a friend. The place and contact information we got was to an eco-forest resort at Maredumilli called Vana Vihar.

We called the resort up and enquired about the place and were really excited by their words. The resort was said to have a butterfly park, 2 awesome waterfalls, lush jungle and medicinal plantation around in the vicinity. We decided and started the Journey.

The Route:

We had to take the Rajahmundry road from Badrachalam and Maredumilli was 80Km away from Rajahmundry.

The route is simply awesome and has loads of hairpin bends and the climate is even awesome. The forest is best known for the birds and untouched beauty, calmness and serene surroundings that you might not want to leave and return to the dusty lands.

The Moment has arrived:

Finally, we have reached our destination fairly within planned time (except for the time lost in taking the carefully crafted hairpin bends. The place is awesome, serene, unexplored, and not very famous and the best destination I have personally gone in Andhra Pradesh.

Our time at Maredumilli:
We could not find room at Maredumilli, Vanavihar Resort as the rooms were all booked. The staff informed that there was availability for the next day and we booked a room immediately for the next day and set off to explore the place around and also search for another resort for the day.

On enquiring, we found out that there were only 3 resorts / home stays in and around Maredumilli – Vana Vihar (forest guest house), Amma Residency and another home stay. There was no availability on any of them. Again, we set off to travel further deep into the jungle towards Rajahmundry side and surprisingly discovered a awesome secluded resort on the way to Rampachodavaram (20 km from Maredumilli)

The resort had a stream flowing by, large swings to play with, AC room’s food and all with 1100 Rs a day. We settled there and enjoyed the whole day there. It was awesome to sleep and relax amidst so much greenery.

The Day at Maredumilli:

We spent an awesome next day after checking into the forest guest house resort (Vana Vihar) and spend time in hiking forests, Tiger reserves, 2 Awesome waterfalls (safe to bath in), Butterfly garden, medicinal plantations, Local flavor of Chicken curry –Bamboo chicken and several other activities.
Drove back early next day to end that wonderful and unexpected vacation to be always cherished.

Some very important points to note before you travel to Maredumilli:

• NO Signals for any other connection other than BSNL at Maredumilli.
• No Petrol Bunks in Maredumilli (nearest one at Rampachodavaram – 20KM from Maredumilli) – But local shops sell loose petrol / diesel for 5 Rs extra per liter (quality is OK as all auto drivers there use them and I too used)
• Book prior to you leave to Maredumilli – As we were bachelors we managed, but if family book online at Vana Vihar resort prior to you go. Yes, it’s a very family safe, neat and clean resort (500 Rs for non AC room per day).
• Have company – The place and around is quite much deserted, even though we did not find any danger, its deserted at most places (typical jungle type place). So ensure you are not alone if some help required.
• Have your vehicle in Perfect condition: Every BHPian knows this, still reiterating to ensure your car is in good shape as you might not find much mechanical help on the way. Rampachodavaram has almost everything you need.

See the Place with your own eyes
I enjoy photography and travel videography and I take my Kit everywhere I travel too. I have created a compilation of the places, forest, roads and water into one video compilation that I have shared below so that you have an idea of the beauty you are going to visit. Let me know if you need any contact information, guidance on the trip and I will be happy to help

Cheers, Joshu
joshuthomas is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 14:04   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Trip from Hyderabad to Maredumilli (with Video)

Hi Josh,

That's a crisp report of your travelogue. That part of Andhra Pradesh is indeed quite serene. Unfortunately, i have never visited Papikondallu though have been on that route to go to Suryalanka Beach a few times.

Isn't it right that Papikondalu is going to be sub-merged under water in a few years from now? if thats true, then should make a trip before it happens

How was the road condition on the route that you took? Iam sure after that highway being laid out till Vijaywada, it's buttery tarmac

Nice video you captured. btw, would love to see some pictures too of this trip like a few from your journey in the car and many of the actual destination itself

P.S: Your avataar shows your location as Cochin? If your based in Hyderabad, any reason for not changing it?
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 15:34   #3
BHPian

Quote:
On enquiring, we found out that there were only 3 resorts / home stays in and around Maredumilli – Vana Vihar (forest guest house), Amma Residency and another home stay. There was no availability on any of them. Again, we set off to travel further deep into the jungle towards Rajahmundry side and surprisingly discovered a awesome secluded resort on the way to Rampachodavaram (20 km from Maredumilli)
Hi Josh,

Nice video, thanks for sharing, added this to my list of places to visit :-). Please post some pictures. Checked the vana vihar website and it does accept online bookings which is a good thing. What about the other 2 resorts that you mentioned in Maredumilli and the resort 20KM's away from Maredumilli? If possible, can you please post the contact numbers of these resorts/stays ?

I am sure the roads from Hyderabad to Khammam are good, how is the condition from Khammam to Bhadrachalam?

Thanks,
Srinivas.R
sriswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 16:13   #4
BHPian

Josh,

Thanks for the info about Maredumill, never heard of that so far. Always on the lookout for suitable places to go around from Hyderabad.

Video looks very professional. You could have added more clips from the water falls, and the forest and the resort quality.
rknair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 16:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuthomas View Post
Trip to Maredumilli from Hyderabad - Complete Travelouge
Thanks for the writeup Joshu.The video was excellent and the compilation too.Thanks for sharing.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 17:29   #6
BHPian

joshuthomas, good travelogue. Thanks for sharing, will visit this place sometime. Spent hours searching for places to visit in AP - this looks like a good find.
punto_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 17:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Hi Josh,

That's a crisp report of your travelogue.
===============
P.S: Your avataar shows your location as Cochin? If your based in Hyderabad, any reason for not changing it?
Dear mobike008,

Thanks a lot for your kind words!
Ofcourse papikondalu is an awesome place to visit, ive been there once and its a seasonal place to visit to my knowledge, when the water is low only the camps on river beds are available. Not sure if it is expected to be covered by water but who knows, we should never miss places like these.

The road to Kammam from hyderabad is awesome, post which also roads are not bad, just that some part of the stretch are narrow and some stretch has patches. But overall, the drive is awesome, especially the route from Badrachalam to Maredumilli.

I have captured many pictures, will post them too shortly.

regards,
Joshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriswe View Post
Hi Josh,

Nice video, thanks for sharing, added this to my list of places to visit :-).
========
I am sure the roads from Hyderabad to Khammam are good, how is the condition from Khammam to Bhadrachalam?

Thanks,
Srinivas.R
Dear Srini,

Thankyou for your kind words!
Regarding the three resorts I spoke about:

1. Vana vihar (best option, economical, neat, serene - book online and secure your stay before travel plan)
2. Amma Recidency (not the best option, too small and not the best around)
3. Birds Nest (15 - 20km from Maredumilli towards Rampachodavaram direction)

unfortunately, I dont have contact numbers, if I do manage to get it from anyone who accompanied us, will post here.

Road from Kammam to Badrachalam is not bad but not super good.

regards,
Joshu

Mod team note: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknair View Post
Josh,

Thanks for the info about Maredumill, never heard of that so far. Always on the lookout for suitable places to go around from Hyderabad.

Video looks very professional. You could have added more clips from the water falls, and the forest and the resort quality.
Dear Rknair,

Thanks a lot for your kind words!
Sure, will add more photos of the forest, places around and drive.

regards,
Joshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Yes, Am basically from Cochin, born and bought up there. Last 6 years in hyderabad but now travelling between cochin and hyderabad for my work and business related purpose. But home is cochin and now most time is spent at cochin.

regards,
Joshu

Last edited by mobike008 : 20th December 2012 at 21:36. Reason: back to back posts
Old 19th June 2015, 00:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuthomas View Post
Joshu
Crisp review and fantastic video compilation ,Josh.
Few questions for you.

1)What is the best time to visit Maredumilli?
2)Did you visit the Dindidhara waterfalls? If yes how is the road?

Last edited by ecosport rules : 19th June 2015 at 00:52.
Old 25th June 2015, 12:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post

1)What is the best time to visit Maredumilli?
I had been to Maredumilli-Bhadrachalam in 2013 around Sankranti time (Mid-Jan), a quick trip.
Maredumilli in the midst of hills was cool, however the plains around (Rajahmundry, Bhadrachalam, ...) were getting hot.
I think best time would be around October to December after rains and river water recedes in these areas.
Old 16th September 2015, 21:45   #10

Has anyone been to Maredumilli in the recent past (say June 2015 onwards)?

A few queries
- Which is the best route now from Hyd?
- Are the VanaVihari (AP Forest Dept) cottages maintained well?
- Are there any special permits required?

Thanks in advance.
Old 17th September 2015, 07:07   #11
BHPian

After avoiding highway driving for years, i am planning to start the same. I want to start initially with places around Hyderabad. This will definitely be one of the places to visit. Thanks for sharing this wonderful and crisp information about this beautiful unexplored place Maredumilli.
Old 17th September 2015, 07:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrao View Post
Has anyone been to Maredumilli in the recent past (say June 2015 onwards)?

A few queries
- Are the VanaVihari (AP Forest Dept) cottages maintained well?
- Are there any special permits required?

Thanks in advance.
I was there december 2014. Vanavihar isnt maintained well anymore. There are a couple of new private resorts/cottages near by, search for them I forgot the names now. These are relatively quite new, and maintained well.

I din't need any special permits.

But, do keep all the points said by Josh they still hold good. The last 50Kms approximately while going to Maredumilli, is ghat section, it was under construction. That was the only pot hole ridden part and real bad. Don't know the current one.

This place is worth visiting for sure, Its so serene you wouldn't know TIME MOVES at such a slow pace.

Good travelogue Josh!
rider60 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2015, 20:16   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrao View Post
There are two ways to reach Maredumilli - one through Bhadrachalam and the other through Rajahmundry.

The one through Rajahmundry is longer by about 80kms, but since a long portion of this side is 4-laned it almost takes same time.
Moreover you avoid the bad road side of ghats which is towards Bhadrachalam mostly between Chinturu and Maredumilli.
deepv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks