Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2013, 15:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: A drive to the Sea : Bhilai to Puri for a splendid holiday

The Return Journey : Sunday 24/03/2013.

Though we planned to start early in the morning, but actually all got up in the morning at a leisurely pace and took their own time to be ready. By six thirty we came down with all our baggage and started dumping them in the boot. On seeing us leaving, the first shift waiter came rushing with two cups of tea. We gladly enjoyed the tea in the garden, paid off the tips to the waiter and started around seven from the Panthanivas.

We were sailing smoothly when we suddenly met with a freak accident. We were hardly 12/13 KM from the hotel, there was a left turn on the road and the road was still two laned. Vehicles were coming from the opposite direction, so I could not go my right, and there was a young fellow on his bi-cycle just in front of me blocking the road and talking on his mobile phone. I was not able to cross him and honked for maybe five/six times, but he would not even move to the left and allow me to cross. After some time, as I got a break in the oncoming traffic, I took my car to the right and tried to cross the cyclist. I am not sure what happened, but I saw the man stumble, hit the left side ORVM and fall down. By instant reaction my foot was on the brake, I stopped the car and came down.

It was a small village like area, and the people were enjoying their morning cup of tea in a nearby stall. But before anyone else could come I was helping the man get on his feet. When the man got up I could see that he had a small bruise on his right wrist and another slightly bigger one on his left elbow. Apart from these two there were no other damage and I was somewhat relieved that there was no broken bones or dislocation. By this time I could notice a crowd has already gathered around me, some abusing me in their native language and some others were quite mature in their behaviour. I offered to take the man to the nearest dispensary but he refused. I then gave him some money to buy medicines, if required and enquired whether he requires any more help.

After this I started to leave the spot and then someone handed over to me the broken ORVM glass, which fell off from the casing. We left off and stopped at the next BPCL bunk to regain my composure. It was then that I realised that I had a narrow escape. The accident was unintentional and neither did I have the intention to run-off, but one can never believe the local villagers. They could have manhandled me and my family. I waited for some more time at the bunk, had some water to cool down my nerves. I crossed Bhubaneshwar and Cuttack very carefully after which it was somewhat familiar territory.

This is what I got from the morning incident :

A drive to the Sea : Bhilai to Puri for a splendid holiday-img_20130412_173132.jpg

A drive to the Sea : Bhilai to Puri for a splendid holiday-img_20130412_173200.jpg

Some statistics for the journey :

Average Speed for the Return Journey.
A drive to the Sea : Bhilai to Puri for a splendid holiday-img_20130325_181315.jpg

Distance for the Return Journey.
A drive to the Sea : Bhilai to Puri for a splendid holiday-img_20130325_181511.jpg

Mileage for the Return Journey.
A drive to the Sea : Bhilai to Puri for a splendid holiday-img_20130325_181521.jpg

Average Speed for the whole journey.
A drive to the Sea : Bhilai to Puri for a splendid holiday-img_20130325_181437.jpg

Mileage for the whole journey (from Home to Home).
A drive to the Sea : Bhilai to Puri for a splendid holiday-img_20130325_181425.jpg

Total Distance travelled in this trip.
A drive to the Sea : Bhilai to Puri for a splendid holiday-img_20130325_181412.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Glad you had a nice time in Puri. But I just want to mention that the route you took is not the only one.

The above route helps you avoid reasonably heavy traffic between Angul and Manguli Chowk, and the very heavy traffic from Manguli Chowk till outskirts of Bhubaneswar. You will also avoid any serious traffic at a major border crossing.
Thanks, Julupani for the route information.
Actually I had no idea about the road condition in the route you mentioned.
I therefore decided to take the more familiar route of NH6 & NH42.

However, I would keep this in mind if I decide to go to Puri again in the future.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks