Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2014, 19:03   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Sandakphu Phalut Kolakham - Unleashing a Mahindra Scorpio on Land Rover territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Lovely travelogue. Are the curves doable - without backing up - in a longer vehicle with a bad turning radius e.g. a Fortuner?
The Bolero Di that has a longer wheelbase than the Scorpio had to back up in a few turns. In fact I had to reverse in several turns though my Bolero has a shorter wheelbase than the Di. But I don't think that will be an issue. Waiting for 1100D's reply.
Old 8th January 2015, 20:14   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sandakphu Phalut Kolakham - Unleashing a Mahindra Scorpio on Land Rover territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Lovely travelogue. Are the curves doable - without backing up - in a longer vehicle with a bad turning radius e.g. a Fortuner?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
The Bolero Di that has a longer wheelbase than the Scorpio had to back up in a few turns. In fact I had to reverse in several turns though my Bolero has a shorter wheelbase than the Di. But I don't think that will be an issue. Waiting for 1100D's reply.
My Scorpio, as far as I remember, did not have to reverse on any one (on the way up, but had to reverse on many on the way down!!). Well, a Fortuner might have to reverse on 3 of the Hairpins. But that should not be a deterrent, reversing a little bit while climbing up can be done with the help of gravity without needing to get out of the Gear one is in.

However on the way down, reversing will need switching to reverse gear. However even that wont be a deterrent.

My take is, as many vehicles start reaching there, its good for the place. Also us!
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 21:02   #78
Senior - BHPian

Hats off to your dare devilry. Breathtaking travelogue. Saw this one for the first time today and finished it in one go. I feel Scorpio is the real beneficiary of your travel and Mahindra has to definitely honor by pronouncing you as their brand ambassador.

Last edited by rajeev k : 8th January 2015 at 21:04.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 18:20   #79
BHPian

1100D, do you think I could manage to drive my Pajero there? Considering thats a SWB territory, Are there any turns that you think a Pajero cannot tame? Comments and recommendations will be invaluable. This could be an alternate trip to drive solo if my plans to travel to Ladakh along with my friends does not materialise due to their schedule issues!
Old 11th June 2015, 14:36   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed_X9 View Post
1100D, do you think I could manage to drive my Pajero there? Considering thats a SWB territory, Are there any turns that you think a Pajero cannot tame? Comments and recommendations will be invaluable. This could be an alternate trip to drive solo if my plans to travel to Ladakh along with my friends does not materialise due to their schedule issues!
You can give it a try, however, rather than the hairpins, you may face a challenge with a small bridge which is located at an angle where the longer wheelbase might be a challenge. But with careful negotiating, it could probably be managed. So no harm trying, because unless you do, you will never be certain!

It will be beneficial to go through this thread also

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...st-bengal.html
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 07:30   #81
BHPian

1100D. Thanks for the details. Looking at the performance of the AWD Duster, seems my Pajero can do it after all!!! Whats the point unless its tried, as you rightly said! Hope to do it soon, and will keep fellow BHPians posted with the video of the climb and descent!!!
Old 14th June 2015, 07:51   #82
BHPian

Guys, looking to do Sandakphu in early July 2015 with my Pajero. As of now, nobody I know has gathered the time and guts to go there with me. I will still go solo, but a fellow bhpian would be invaluable. Looking forward if anyone interested. Intend to Car-camp wherever I stop. Will carry a 2-men tent.
Unavowed_X9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 12:10   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed_X9 View Post
Guys, looking to do Sandakphu in early July 2015 with my Pajero. As of now, nobody I know has gathered the time and guts to go there with me. I will still go solo, but a fellow bhpian would be invaluable. Looking forward if anyone interested. Intend to Car-camp wherever I stop. Will carry a 2-men tent.
Would not recommend going there in the monsoon though. You can try connecting to bhpian Blackpearl offline, they have a group of people who are always ready to accompany an adventure.
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 12:33   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Would not recommend going there in the monsoon though. You can try connecting to bhpian Blackpearl offline, they have a group of people who are always ready to accompany an adventure.
1100D. Yes. Thank you. Got the point. Spoke to a couple of more people who said the same. Seems I will have to wait.
Old 15th June 2015, 13:52   #85
BANNED

I had missed this one - your earlier tryst with Sandakphu.
Though you must be tired of receiving kudos, I believe one must doff one's hat to this outstanding travelogue. Both the photos and the accompanying narrative make for a gripping experience. Though I've experienced some hair-raising moments on the kuccha - but motorable - diversions in the Kumaon hills, at the time we did not think to keep a photo record.

Sandakphu is undoubtedly a destination meant to test the nerves of the most intrepid. I can well understand your feelings that a moment's inattention, a second's mis-timing and you get a one-way ticket to Valhalla!

I look forward to the next one.
Old 10th July 2015, 17:20   #86
BHPian

@1100D.
Finally, the plans of Leh/Ladakh having been scrapped for this year, there is only the option of doing NE this year. I have 15th - 30th Aug 2015 to do this. Will Sandakphu be unsafe then?
Old 11th September 2016, 20:07   #87

Awesome.

@BlackPearl, @1100D can this be done on bike? and will Nov end be safe time to attempt this?

I am planning this map:Sandakphu Phalut Kolakham - Unleashing a Mahindra Scorpio on Land Rover territory-new-sikkim.png

Ignore the current route marking to Sandakpu, I intend to do what 1000D did.

Any advice?
Old 12th September 2016, 01:04   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit0rana View Post
Awesome.

@BlackPearl, @1100D can this be done on bike? and will Nov end be safe time to attempt this?

I am planning this map:Attachment 1553048

Ignore the current route marking to Sandakpu, I intend to do what 1000D did.

Any advice?
@amit0rana, I am a bit confused with the map, do you want to go to North Sikkim? If yes, November is a good time and you can do it in a bike. You have to obtain permit from Gangtok. There are several guys out here who have done North Sikkim in bikes. Let me know and I will connect you with them.
If you are planning for Sandakphu, then also November will be a good time. Please let us know what bike you will be riding. The steep slopes of Sandakphu demand a bike with high torque at low rpms. The Royal Enfield 500CC engines perform very well. Several RX100s and 135s have been to Sandakphu as well along with a few Pulsar 180s.
Old 12th September 2016, 06:52   #89

Thank you @blackpearl, I want to start from Bagdogra / siliguri then go to sandakphu and then from there to north sikkim. We will have 1 Himalayan, 2 classic 500 and one multistrada.

Please do connect me with other bikers.
Old 12th September 2016, 11:05   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit0rana View Post
Thank you @blackpearl, I want to start from Bagdogra / siliguri then go to sandakphu and then from there to north sikkim. We will have 1 Himalayan, 2 classic 500 and one multistrada.

Please do connect me with other bikers.
Hi amit0rana,

Two circuits included in your map require permits. Do carry all your identity proofs. Also, permit may be a problem if the weather deteriorates a lot. All the Best !!

Regards,

Pawan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks