Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2013, 08:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Photologue - Guangzhou, China

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Bit sad, that we do not have even a single city/town like this in our vast country. Something really missing in us
Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
the cities are rocking, clean, neat and breath taking buildings. Phew, you guys certainly would have enjoyed a lot staying there.
Nothing is missing in us, trust me. As soon as you land you get amazed with the infrastructure that has been built and feel we should have done the same in our country. If you just roam around as tourist you take this impression back and feel everything is awesome in China. Only if you have local contacts and start openly discussing what are the problems their country is facing, then the reality sinks in, that all this infrastructure is definitely good but then would we want it to done in the way they have done. My impression and believe is we are doing it right, although slower than China but better. I cannot disclose everything on this public thread but feel free to PM me if you are interested.

One thing you got to remember is, we do not get to hear a lot about what is happening inside China as the news is usually censored, only if you have insider information you get to know the problems they are facing.

If i have to summarize. If i was asked to choose between Democracy+Free Press+Independent Judiciary Vs Awesome Infrastructure Development. I would choose the first one on the blink of an eye. One needs to understand building the fist one takes generations and is more time consuming as compared to Infrastructure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Open them in MS Paint (if on Windows). Rotate properly and save.

Thanks for the pictures you guys. It looks like China has properly built infrastructure with heavy priority to pedestrians while not leaving potholed roads either.
I use MAC but on the MAC the picture looks alright.

Some more pictures in Rain

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc7509.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc7507.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc7505.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc7504.jpg

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 17th May 2013 at 08:21.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 11:47   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Please do, when did you make the trip? Recently?
Landed back last week. I keep visiting GZ frequently.

Pictures from 2012-

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_5562.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_5565.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_5569.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_56988.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_57006.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_5748.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_57495.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_5759.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_57675.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_57775.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_5793.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_57975.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_5800.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_58035.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_5807.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_58185.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_58335.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_5856.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_5858.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_58595.jpg
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 12:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Pictures from 2012-
Did you also stayed near the university gate (4th picture from the top), next to Perl River?

Pictures are awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Here are some more. Canton tower changing color.

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc7562.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc7561.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc7560.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc7559.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc7555.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc7536.jpg

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 17th May 2013 at 12:53.
Old 17th May 2013, 13:00   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Did you also stayed near the university gate (4th picture from the top), next to Perl River?
Whenever in Gz i stay in Haizhu District, Binjiang dong lu, near the University. Were you staying in the same area?

Some more pics from 2012-

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_5863.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_58825.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_58965.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_5941.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_59475.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_5959.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_59785.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_5984.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_5993.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_6005ii.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_6017.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_6080.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_6085.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_60915.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_60955.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_60985.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_60995.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_61015.jpg

Photologue - Guangzhou, China-dsc_61055.jpg
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 13:33   #20
BHPian

Pictures are great. Seeing the pictures, i assume the property rates in this city is very high
Old 17th May 2013, 14:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Pictures are great. I assume the property rates in this city is very high
While in the city the rates are high, on the ourskirts its quiet reasonable. Although i much admit this is one area we did not discuss in detail.

One thing you need to remember is none of the property is fully owned by individuals. All the land in mainland China is owned by Govt and it leases out to individuals/companies for a period of 70 years.
Old 17th May 2013, 15:46   #22
BHPian

Quote:
One thing you need to remember is none of the property is fully owned by individuals. All the land in mainland China is owned by Govt and it leases out to individuals/companies for a period of 70 years.
Thanks Mayank, i didn't know that!
So rich individuals build huge structures and enjoy rent for there lifetime.
Old 17th May 2013, 16:44   #23
BHPian

I think one thing that we all can agree on is how far behind we are in terms of infrastructure. Even their pavements are usable.

Nice thread. Will keep an eye on this.
Old 17th May 2013, 17:16   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
I think one thing that we all can agree on is how far behind we are in terms of infrastructure. Even their pavements are usable.

Nice thread. Will keep an eye on this.
Far far behind, the roads, the pavements, the aeshetic sense, the finish of the pavement with tiles perfectly laid etc etc

I hardly notice any vehicular dust and pollution too ! No garbage visible anywhere also !

When will Bangalore become half as good as this

Lovely photologue !
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 20:19   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Far far behind, the roads, the pavements, the aeshetic sense, the finish of the pavement with tiles perfectly laid etc etc

I hardly notice any vehicular dust and pollution too ! No garbage visible anywhere also !

When will Bangalore become half as good as this

Lovely photologue !
Us Indians are screwed for life. Can't imagine our cities anything close to this for atleast another 50 years.
Old 17th May 2013, 20:28   #26
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Us Indians are screwed for life. Can't imagine our cities anything close to this for atleast another 50 years.
500 more years. A few more invasions and foreign rule might make us better. Else we will continue to be dragged into the dust by the third class politicos and thieves who run the country....anarchy is the state of this Nation as of now.
Old 19th May 2013, 07:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just so you know, Chinese cities top in terms of pollution levels across the world, and the Govt till now was doing very little. I saw folks wearing masks in the evening. Constantly in the city traffic gave headache to some, and most of the water looked green in color.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...y-8619780.html

Quote:
No we are not, Another news in the Top 10 cities in terms of pollution GZ comes on 8th. Bangalore is nowhere there in top 10.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2010/11/...lds-worst-air/

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
500 more years. A few more invasions and foreign rule might make us better. Else we will continue to be dragged into the dust by the third class politicos and thieves who run the country....anarchy is the state of this Nation as of now.
Imagine the following
  • No Democracy, the central govt gives itself all the power to do whatever it wants. Provincial Govt are of the same party, so they follow the diktat from the central govt to the T
  • No independent Judiciary, so as a citizen if you were wronged you could not go to the Judiciary. They are only implementers of the Law and do not have the liberty to interpret and question the law. BTW they are also from the same party.
  • Communism was supposed to bridge the divide between Rich and poor and the divide is only growing wider in China.
  • MAO philosophy education in mainland is forced to be taught, most highly educated send their kids to HongKong for education.
  • 1 Child policy. For second child you have to pay "Social Burden Fees" (Calling your kids burden is one problem) which is approximately 15L (INR). At the same time the department which collects this fees is reporting doubling of its revenues every year i.e. only the rich are having more than one kid.
  • One cannot publicly criticize the government hold demonstrations etc.
  • Very very high corruption. Always remember a lot of it does never get reported.
I have said it before, the pillars of society is not Infrastructure. Its Democracy, Free press and Independent Judiciary. I agree we are not as fast as China, but that is just the outcome of the system we have chosen which atleast attempts to be fair to everyone and in the process things do get slow.

Here is quiet a recent article on how serious this is. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-21231198

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 19th May 2013 at 07:50.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 08:43   #28
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Agree with you, especially in cities.
Quote:
I hardly notice any vehicular dust and pollution too !
The air is no at all clean that a face mask is a must have commodity and a daily-wear here. This is due to
  • Everlasting construction work, thanks to the infrastructure you see in pictures
  • enormous number of cars/motor vehicles, thanks to the largest car market in the world, most of the vehicles are in good condition/less polluting visually though.
  • Lack of trees, though there evident some great effort to plant ornamental plants/trees mainly meant for aesthetic purpose.
  • It gets worst in winter when the centralised heating system is functional.
In India, since the above mentioned phenomena, except the non existent public heating facility, occur at a much slower rate, so does the rate at which the air/water getting polluted in our country.

Quote:
No garbage visible anywhere also !
The existing litter management system is excellent here that I see clean, litter-free parks, streets and neighbourhoods, at least in cities. I am yet to see locals throwing plastic/litter casually in streets or any public places. People are civilised to dispose the garbage in the dedicated garbage bins seen placed in every 20 to 50mts.
I only wish, in India
  • the government establishes a simple but efficient litter management system- just have garbage bins [non-recyclable and recyclable bins] placed in streets and clean them regularly
  • we, the people, have better civic sense to dispose wastes in those dedicated places instead of chucking them around at will.
@mayankjha1806
Thanks for sharing your experience in China and pictures.

Last edited by M35 : 19th May 2013 at 08:47. Reason: spell check
Old 19th May 2013, 09:04   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Sirji, 50 years is being far too optimitic I should say. Our cities are at a point from where there is no coming back. We have to start afresh.
Old 19th May 2013, 16:57   #30
Team-BHP Support

Lovely pics. Reminded me a lot of my trip to Dalian in 2011, the travelogue of which I am yet to put up. The challenges faced by me in terms of communication, as well as my perceptions of Chinese food were the same as mentioned here by the others. As I had travelled on work, my company had me put up in one of the biggest and best hotels in Dalian, but even there, I had a difficult time to get them to understand what I was trying to say. My attempts to communicate ended up as highly amusing for both me as well as the other person involved.

In Dalian, I had only come across one Indian in the entire week I was there, which included the IT Park, which made me a tourist in the true sense. Chinese people were happy to see and try to communicate with an Indian, with only language being the barrier.

I absolutely loved the way the cities looked, not to forget the night views. Despite all the good infrastructure, cabbies are a different breed altogether, and not too different from those in our cities. They drive rash, overspeed, and also tailgate.

And as mayank mentioned, behind all the glitz, the Chinese cities are high on pollution and the people are not too enthused by the political system as well. Corruption is common among the higher ranks, but the common man is less affected by it, unlike the case in India.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks