Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2013, 19:57   #16
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Re: To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameervg View Post
Great pics !

There will be another threat of unemployment in that region for atleast couple of years as there will not be much travellers visiting this area due to infrastructure issues.
Thanks sameer. Lets hope the govt learns from this disaster and rehabilitates villages and dhams quickly. Even our hotel was very gloomy about current and next season too. He says "Hotel to khalli ho gya. Ab koi nahi aayaga".

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
The absolute chaos of the parking lots itself tell the apathy in planning and administration.

God bless that you are safe.
Thanks sudev. It was even worse next day when we were leaving Janakichatti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
Apparently they were a group of 12 that was to be airlifted, but gave their chance to some sick people and after that no more airlifts happened because of weather.

What was worse was that - there was no Mobile coverage in that area and they got to know quite late about the situation.
Thanks sachin, hope they get airlifted soon. It was not only mobiles, there was no electricity & supply water since Saturday till Thursday (when we are able to checkout city). Fuel was already shot since friday due to landslide at Dharasu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Man, we are so relieved to know that you guys are safe. All this time, we had been discussing & hoping that no BHPian is stuck in the region. Admittedly, it was kind of selfish, but equally sad for so many people who lost their lives and for those who lost loved ones.

Regards,
Saket
Thanks Saket. This is one of the worst tragedy i have seen or heard in near future.
Old 24th June 2013, 21:11   #17
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams

v&v, glad to hear that you and family are safe! From the pics, the chaos at Janakichatti is alarming. These are 'before' pictures. With such a lack of discipline, I can only imagine what would be the situation when disaster strikes.
Old 24th June 2013, 22:04   #18
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
v&v, glad to hear that you and family are safe! From the pics, the chaos at Janakichatti is alarming. These are 'before' pictures. With such a lack of discipline, I can only imagine what would be the situation when disaster strikes.
Thanks SDP. The sad part is there are no police to manage traffic and parking.
True, that entire area after hanumanchatti is landslide prone. Hope every one is safe there.

Continuing Day-2 : - Yamunotri to Uttarkashi

Since we were already delayed from our standard plan by 1/2 a day. We had to modify our itinerary to Uttarkashi by today evening. Now we were left with no other option than to visit Gangotri on Saturday morning and if possible return on the same day itself to Uttarkashi.

Some more shots from Janaki chatti

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5237.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5239.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5228.jpg

Checked out of the hotel by 11.30 am and reached the market place which is about 500 meters from hotel and saw a huge traffic jam. We got stuck behind a bus and could not even see whats happening in front. Not a single police personnel was there to assist. After about 40 minutes we moved 100 meters and was stuck again for 30 mins. There some local taxi guys took over and slowly started clearing the traffic.

The main issue at Janaki Chatti is very limited space for two buses to cross. So this created a huge traffic jam which went all the way about 2km from this entrance.

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5187.jpg

It was about 2 pm when we were out of the mess and covered around 6 odd kms, we were welcomed by a small landslide. Again about 20 min waiting.

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-20130614_131356.jpg

After that the drive as uneventful. The roads from Barkot to Radi-top is narrow, condition is good. We reached Dharasu bend by 6 pm.
Only traffic from one side was allowed to pass through at a time. On enquiring was told there was a landslide here today morning.
Traffic opened only after 2 pm. Dharasu bend is a popular land slide area and the slightest rain is enough to close the road for days. Climate was clear since noon and we were praying to god for an extension of 2 days.

Roads after Dharasu to Uttarkashi has lots of bad patches. We reached Uttarkashi by 7.30. Hotel Shivlinga was after crossing the town. I had already informed the hotel about our change of plan. Our original booking was for 15th night only.

After check-in, during dinner we met a group from Karnataka who were going to Gangotri were stuck due to landslide. So 14th no one was able to go to gangotri. Also got the news of about 16000 tourists stuck near on 13th night and BRO was only able to rescue them only by 14th noon. Traffic was allowed only after 3 or 4 pm only. Also came to known that its been raining at many places towards gangotri since yesterday.

http://www.disaster-report.com/2013/...ed-due-to.html

I was little apprenhesive after the all these news and about the road conditions to Gangotri. Took opinion of wify and kids. They were like whatever you decide. Again talked to the hotel manager he said its your luck, some get stuck some pass through.
By this time it also started raining here too more like a drizzle.

A little more thought about the risks , decided we leave by 4 and try to come back as early as possible.
"Man proposes, God disposes"

To Continue...

Summary
Janakichatti - 0 -- 0 - 1:45 (11.30 to 2.00 pm)
SyanaChatti - 17 -- 17 - 2:50 pm
Barkot - 28 -- 45 - 3:50 pm
Radi top - 17 -- 62 - 4:25 (LUNCH BREAK AFTER 5KMS)
Bhramkal - 22 -- 84 - 5:35
Dharasu Bend - 15 -- 99 - 6:05
Matli 20 -- 119 - 7:05
Uttarkash 09 -- 128 - 7:40 (HOTEL SHIVLINGA)

Last edited by v&v : 24th June 2013 at 22:12.
v&v is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 22:45   #19
BHPian

V&V,

What a blessing from God on you and your family. Missing the disaster by a whisker. Phew!!!!

Me and couple of friends were in Haridwar on Saturday and Sunday and the rain was non stop. By Sunday afternoon we could see that the water was almost black in color and was carrying all sorts of things along with it.

Our return journey from Haridwar started at 3pm on Sunday after which i guess the traffic was not let to go over the bridges. we could see cops controlling the traffic near the bridge. When we crossed Roorkee on Saturday the river bed was dry and on return the water was full almost to the brim. The entire river basin was water and looked like a flood situation. We felt we were lucky to return back with out much trouble which is not the case with so many others.

Coming to the traffic, I think I have seen some of the longest jams during these 2 days than in my entire life. We could reach Gurgaon only by 2 am in the morning taking 11+ hours to travel 250 kms.

Your travelogue comes in a time when every one here were worried of some of the Bhpians getting struck and assures to expect positive results. Thanks for sharing us these experiences. Highly appreciate.

God Bless.

Regards,
Manjunath
Indian Ranger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 20:43   #20
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Ranger View Post
V&V,

What a blessing from God on you and your family. Missing the disaster by a whisker. Phew!!!!

Me and couple of friends were in Haridwar on Saturday and Sunday and the rain was non stop. By Sunday afternoon we could see that the water was almost black in color and was carrying all sorts of things along with it.

Our return journey from Haridwar started at 3pm on Sunday after which i guess the traffic was not let to go over the bridges. we could see cops controlling the traffic near the bridge. When we crossed Roorkee on Saturday the river bed was dry and on return the water was full almost to the brim. The entire river basin was water and looked like a flood situation. We felt we were lucky to return back with out much trouble which is not the case with so many others.

Coming to the traffic, I think I have seen some of the longest jams during these 2 days than in my entire life. We could reach Gurgaon only by 2 am in the morning taking 11+ hours to travel 250 kms.

Your travelogue comes in a time when every one here were worried of some of the Bhpians getting struck and assures to expect positive results. Thanks for sharing us these experiences. Highly appreciate.

God Bless.

Regards,
Manjunath
Thanks Manjunath.
The whole trip our timing (forced or planned) was a blessing for us. Got through most of the places in nick of time. Couple of my friends too were stuck on the same route as yours on Sunday. They to reached Delhi about 4 am only. They were travelling in a bus.

Even had we not gone to Uttarakhand, we would have left Dehradun only Sunday evening or Monday morning, then also we would have got stuck at Roorkee. I heard even for Monday and Tuesday the whole route was messy.
Old 28th June 2013, 09:04   #21
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Day-3 : 15th June 2013 - Saturday - Uttarkashi Gangotri Uttarkashi

We all got up by 3.30, it was raining raining heavily. The roar of the Bhagirathi river was so loud and was scary and made me little nervous too. we all were ready by 4.30. Another inspection , still raining heavily, hence decided delay our start by an hour.

After about 40 min or so we saw buses and jeeps plying. This gave us some confidence and we too decided to move on. Started from hotel by 05:50. Informed the hotel guy about over travel plans.

Some pics upto Maneri
To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5253.jpg

See how close the Bhagirathi river is to the road
To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5255.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5256.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5258.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5259.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5266.jpg

The first bridge near Gangori was about 4 kms from our hotel we were driving slow as it was still dark and visibility too was low. The road was also like a river with big craters, it was really difficult to drive on. It took us about 25 minutes to cross Gangori. After that the rain god has mercy on us and roads too improved.

We were just 50 min into our drive we could see a trail of red lights and immediately i knew my worst fear came true. Land slide had happened ahead and we too parked with rest of them. I went to enquire the cause as expected it was landslide at Maneri which is being cleared. Its the same place where over 15000 tourist were stranded on 13th. It might take anything from 3-4 hrs. Some were saying even 5-6 hrs. It was so depressing.The queue was about 3-4 kms long and wait began. Time was 06:30 only.

Waiting for landslide to be cleared
To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5271.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5272.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5274.jpg

Last edited by v&v : 28th June 2013 at 09:09.
Old 28th June 2013, 10:47   #22
v&v
Senior - BHPian

By 7 it stopped raining and at least we were able to get out of our vehicle and walk around. Time was passing very slowly. it was now almost 2 hrs waiting and kids were becoming restless and hungry. There was a small restaurant just in front of us, ordered Prathas. Asked the him about the situation, he says it can take anything from 3- 6 hrs.

It so depressing, i started calculating all possible permutation in the event we get delayed by 5-6 hrs. Once even thought of returning back. Its so difficult to shun out the negative things that come across your mind. A little later we saw 1 police jeeps rushing to the spot. This bought a glimmer of hope. By 9 am our Parathas were ready , i had asked him to pack extra parathas, just in case we may get stuck like this again.

We had our hot parathas by the time it was 09:30 just then we heard the announcement from a police jeep , the road had been cleared and traffic will be allowed soon. With in another 15 minutes we all started to roll. All of sudden there was excitement all around and the convoy started to pickup speed.

Approaching the land slide area Maneri
To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5275.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5276.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5279.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5280.jpg

Place were landslide happened
To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5281.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5282.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5284.jpg

The major problem was the mini buses, they were slowing down the smaller vehicle. So we had to overtake them where ever there was an opportunity. We reached Maneri(landslide area) and the scene there was terrifying. Huge boulders are stuck in middle and can create another slide any time. Even i was little nervous crossing that streatch. It was a big releaf crossing that strech. The opposite there wasnt much traffic max about 30 odd vehicles.

The convoy was moving slow, i overtook buses and tempos whenever i had an opportunity. We reached Batwari by 10:30. Here at the check-post where one has to register DL number,vehicle details and no of travellers. After Batwari the road all the way till Gangani was full of slush and potholes. Progress was slow but moving. In an hour we reached Gangnani. May of the travellers had stopped here for breakfast & tea.

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5294.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5295.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5297.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5300.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5301.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5303.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5307.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5308.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5311.jpg

Some where after Batwari

Attachment 1103388

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5315.jpg

Gangani

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5316.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5326.jpg

After Gangani till Harsil the roads were very narrow. Harsil top wat at 8500 fts and is very beautiful and scenic. It is also famous for delicious apples. The convoy had to stop many places to give side to opposite traffic.

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5328.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5334.jpg

Climb to Harsil
To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5341.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5345.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5346.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5347.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5350.jpg

At Gangotri Parking
To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5351.jpg

After Harsil the road improved and progress was fast all the way till Gangotri. Last 3-4 kms before Gangorti is not tared and was slushy.We reached Gangotri by 2:30. Parked our Safari 800 meters before to avoid unnecessary delay while return.

Summary

Hotel - 0 / 0 05:45
maneri - 14, 14 06:35 (09:40)
Batwari - 15 , 29 10:35
Gagnani - 13, 42 11:30
Harsil - 30, 72 01:35
Bharioghat 17 89 02:00
Gangotri : 11 98 02:30

Last edited by v&v : 28th June 2013 at 11:06.
v&v is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 10:48   #23

Hi V&V,

Thank God that you and your family is safe and you guys could return just in time. I am sure you managed the situation quite briliantly as you had to take some tough calls and face difficult situations.

Now just hoping that the government will take a lesson from this disaster and take a quick action to restore the lost glory of the place and may be in the process the facilities will get some improvement (specially the provisions for parking).

And definitely, beautiful pictures there, some pics would definitely give goose bumbs though like Bhagirathi flowing so close to road.

- Atul
Old 28th June 2013, 11:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

V&V - A well deserved 5 star

What a terrain! Your bahemoth had a play around the mud and slides. Amazing landscape shots there.

Glad to know you guys returned safe. Reading the dreadful experience everyday, really sorry for the victims of this monsoon catastrophe.
Old 28th June 2013, 14:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hello V&V,

I am really happy to know that you & your fmaily returned safely from unprecedented tragedy in Uttarakhand. The photos & the narration has been fantastic till now & waiting for your futher narration on how you managed to return back safely.

The system of parking that you saw is a real receipe for disaster. Also it is pity to see poor road conditions in a state where almost 2.5 crore tourists visit every year. On seeing the Uttarakhand tragedy pictures on TV & in newpapers I feel development is done too close to rivers & there is no buffer zone. This in itself is dangerous as rivers can overflow anytime leading to water flowing in people's houses.

Anyways, what has happened is past & hope that with all the aid money flowing, the authorities build a better & safe Uttarakhand.

Thanks,
Old 28th June 2013, 20:08   #26
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabhp View Post
Now just hoping that the government will take a lesson from this disaster and take a quick action to restore the lost glory of the place and may be in the process the facilities will get some improvement (specially the provisions for parking).
- Atul
Thanks Atul. Lets hope things improve as many has lost life in this tragedy. Lets hope now UK govt builds better & safe roads. Most importantly place the Disaster management process where there is such a huge inflow of tourists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
V&V - A well deserved 5 star

What a terrain! Your bahemoth had a play around the mud and slides. Amazing landscape shots there.

Glad to know you guys returned safe. Reading the dreadful experience everyday, really sorry for the victims of this monsoon catastrophe.
Thanks jacs. Yes the terrain was very challenging. We stuck in a convoy made it more difficult. Giving side to opposite traffic at times becomes very tricky especially when you are on river side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
The system of parking that you saw is a real receipe for disaster. Also it is pity to see poor road conditions in a state where almost 2.5 crore tourists visit every year. On seeing the Uttarakhand tragedy pictures on TV & in newpapers I feel development is done too close to rivers & there is no buffer zone. This in itself is dangerous as rivers can overflow anytime leading to water flowing in people's houses.
Thanks Jignesh, By the time were returning the entire area was messy with so many mini buses and travellers, there was total chaos. I didn't see any police personnel managing the parking or traffic.

Even the government too is responsible for the scale of tragedy , had they learnt some lesson from flash floods in 2012 some life's could have been saved. I spoke to locals in Uttarkashi, they say they have been pleading the govt to make the 2-3 kms along the city river banks RCC , but nothing happened. They say this could too have saved many properties and lives.

Last edited by v&v : 28th June 2013 at 20:12.
Old 28th June 2013, 21:52   #27
v&v
Senior - BHPian

We were so relieved to reach Gangotri. Parking was getting crowded as the entire convoy was reaching. Due to bad weather and swelling crowd we decided to have darshan and pooja as quick as possible.

The climate was overcast and it seems it has not rained since morning. But it was getting cloudy. It was a good 20 min walk to the temple from parking. Unlike Yamunotri, Gangotri is more organised. Also must say the temple gives a feeling just like you are at "Har ki Pauri" , Haridwar. One cant see the actual glacier. For this one has to trek till Gaumukh.

Rest let photos speak

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5354.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5356.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5357.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5358.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5359.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5360.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5361.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5362.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5363.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5364.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5365.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5366.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5374.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5377.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5380.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5385.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5389.jpg

Last edited by v&v : 28th June 2013 at 21:53.
v&v is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 09:06   #28
v&v
Senior - BHPian

We completed Pooja by 3.15 and we quickly rushed to have lunch as cloud was building-up and was drizzling . I was constantly monitoring the pressure graph on my Timex expedition watch and my s4 (Weather station) had dipped to 695 millibar. This watch also has a weather forecast systems, which already was showing rain sign. This was making me nervous. Without showing it was pushing every one to have lunch quickly so that we can start our descend. By 3.50 pm we were on our way back. As expected, got stuck in the parking for good 15 minutes. Some how managed to get out and rolling.

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5392.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5395.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5396.jpg

10 kms before Batwari
To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5401.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5402.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5403.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5405.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5411.jpg

Near Pilot baba Ashram
To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5412.jpg

By now it was raining and we planned to drive non stop till Maneri. Traffic from opposite side was thin so the progress was fast. After crossing each town there was a sigh of relief. The rain was consistent all the way till Batwari. After Batwari the rain was more like drizzle & intermittent. I was anxious about Maneri, as we reached the landslide area saw two jeep coming from opposite. WOW what a relief and i thanked all gods i knew. We stopped near Maneri Dam for a tea & maggi break.

Maneri (Landslide area)
To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5416.jpg
To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5418.jpg

Near Maneri Dam
To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5419.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5420.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5421.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5428.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5425.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5426.jpg

To Yamunotri & Gangotri: Witnessed Landslides, Cloudburst, Floods & Traffic Jams-img_5435.jpg

Reached hotel by 8.15. As we parked our car, kids started shouting their achievement.

GANTOTRI : 04:00
BHARIONGHAT : 04:20
HARSIL : 04:50
GAGNANI - 05:55
BATWARI - 06:25
MANERI - 07:00
Hotel Shivlinga - 08:15 (TOOK TEA BREAK-40 min)

Last edited by v&v : 29th June 2013 at 09:14.
Old 29th June 2013, 13:11   #29
BHPian

God bless you and your family.
I guess its your presence of mind and awareness that has got you all back home safely.
The decisions to hurry back, cover as much distance as possible, forecasting a threat coming with technologies at hand, all added to your safe return.
Old 30th June 2013, 08:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

V&V sir, it was distressing to know your travel timings and it is equally heartening to know that you and your family have made it back safe. The scale of destruction in that state due to Mother Nature's fury is so vast that it can't even be explained in words. I had my family visiting UK this month and they returned home on 16th June. Really sad to see those thousands who could't, on time!

I have donated some amount I could afford to UK CM Relief Fund and hope UK people kick back with Normal life ASAP and the help reaches the needy as quickly as possible.

God Bless.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks