Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2013, 14:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!

Wonderful as always deky. Those Peruvian food are mouth watering, especially the guinea pig. The Polo a la Brassa looks wonderful in that natural oven. And prices seem very cheap too. Great travelogue. Cheers.
Old 25th June 2013, 14:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

What a thread, and what marvelous photos!
And I can see that you had a great time with food (a rare occurrence among Indians)

Did you manage to see the El Chupacabra?
;-)

This thread is delightful brimming with all the information ...
Old 25th June 2013, 15:47   #18
BHPian

Deky, brilliant stuff. I'm already living the adventure through your story board. If you every decide to switch profession, you'd definitely make a good writer.

The pictures & detailed stuff are almost a bible. Hooked on to the thread.
Old 25th June 2013, 16:04   #19
lsp
BHPian

Deky
Your Travelogues are one of the most anticipated ones on TBhp.
when I first saw the thread on peru I thought it is the one from the BHPian who flew from US to Peru. Then I saw your name and I had to quickly open this thread to read all about it.

Lovely pics and description. You make events run live in
front of the eyes.

Waiting for more.
Old 25th June 2013, 16:43   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

This is why I voted for you Decky. I get to travel around the world with your inimitable narrative. Looking forward to read this slowly over next few days.
Old 25th June 2013, 19:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Ah! There comes the log.
Absolutely stunning.

Getting to see a new culture through your log. thanks for sharing.
Old 25th June 2013, 20:15   #22
BHPian

Awesome write up so detailed , my favorite part of traveling is the local cuisine and great to see all the dishes photographed and explained!!

Rating the thread 5 Stars all the way!!
Old 26th June 2013, 09:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Deky - I am following this TL. Its as good as a foodie guide for a Peru travel. Nice street clicks. Hope the budget part would come along in the conclusion.
Old 26th June 2013, 11:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
What an awesome start to a travelogue. There could be no better detailing than this about any destination. Travel Houses should take inspiration from this travelogue.

Hooked on to this but shall read leisurely.
Thanks GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
Wonderful Deky. Always been an admirer of your logs for the details that you provide and also the different destinations (and routes).
And congratz on winning the contest.
And after being there, I hope your wife was happy with the destination
Thanks. yes wife was indeed happy with the Peru and we both enjoyed it indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
@deky - First congrats on winning the contest. But i am not surprised that you won the contest. Your logs are excellent and filled with all the details for any person to start a journey after reading the logs.

As always this log is as well very detailed. Not sure if i would go to Peru any time but then any information is always good to have.
Thank you. Never say never!! Till I won the ticket even I felt that peru would just remain a dream but life does gives us surprises, so you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Wonderful as always deky. Those Peruvian food are mouth watering, especially the guinea pig. The Polo a la Brassa looks wonderful in that natural oven. And prices seem very cheap too. Great travelogue. Cheers.
Ah The Guinea Pig!! No dont think I will try it again but thats a personal preference. But Yes the Pollo A La Brassa was indeed mouth watering and one of the nest chicken dishes I have had in a long time!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
What a thread, and what marvelous photos!
And I can see that you had a great time with food (a rare occurrence among Indians)

Did you manage to see the El Chupacabra?
;-)

This thread is delightful brimming with all the information ...
Thank you, No we did not see the El Chupacabra. Infact I was not aware of such thing and had to google when you mentioned it.

Both being from the hotel industry, we love our food and do not mind experimenting with it. Hence we do end up having a great time with food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Deky, brilliant stuff. I'm already living the adventure through your story board. If you every decide to switch profession, you'd definitely make a good writer.

The pictures & detailed stuff are almost a bible. Hooked on to the thread.
Thanks buddy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
Deky
Your Travelogues are one of the most anticipated ones on TBhp.
when I first saw the thread on peru I thought it is the one from the BHPian who flew from US to Peru. Then I saw your name and I had to quickly open this thread to read all about it.

Lovely pics and description. You make events run live in
front of the eyes.

Waiting for more.
Thank you. You also have been a source of great encouragement. Btw, did the Tbhpian who went to Peru write about his travels??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
This is why I voted for you Decky. I get to travel around the world with your inimitable narrative. Looking forward to read this slowly over next few days.
Thanks Sudev!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Ah! There comes the log.
Absolutely stunning.

Getting to see a new culture through your log. thanks for sharing.
Thanks Lalu, infact without your help and support during the voting stage I guess this trip would not have been possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Awesome write up so detailed , my favorite part of traveling is the local cuisine and great to see all the dishes photographed and explained!!

Rating the thread 5 Stars all the way!!
Thank you. We do enjoy the local flavours as well!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Deky - I am following this TL. Its as good as a foodie guide for a Peru travel. Nice street clicks. Hope the budget part would come along in the conclusion.
Thanks!! I shall mention the cost incurred separately at the end. But it was not that expensive as the tickets were taken care off. So without the air fare it was around 2200USD for both of us (excluding the duty free shopping) in Peru.
deky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 13:49   #25
Senior - BHPian

22/05/2013 : Lima

LIMA

Lima is the capital and the largest city of Peru. Its population is estimated to be around 9 million and the home for about 1/3rd of all the Peruvian population. Lima lies in the central western coast of Peru but even after being a coastal city the highest point of Lima Metropolitan is around 1500msl.

When the Spanish invaded Peru, they moved the capital from Cusco to Lima. The Spanish being a country of seafarers found Lima to be more viable a city as its head quarters than Cusco that was up in the Andes Mountains.

Lima has two predominant seasons that are summers and winters. Being close to the tropics and being a coastal city surprisingly Lima does not receive any rain. This phenomenon is due to the cold Humboldt Current that flows along the coast. The cold breeze from the sea results in foggy conditions in the city which are quite common especially during change of seasons. The summers and winters are usually mild but very humid during the day.

Being the most favoured city of the Spanish in the South America, Lima has lots of colonial art and architecture especially seen inside the colonial churches and in all the old colonial buildings. But when you are a tourist and have only so much time during the day to visit such places you really can’t see everything in a trip. So the best is to have a plan and decide what all you want to see and what all you want to give a miss in a city. We did exactly that.

Every night before sleeping I used to refer my Lonely Planet guide and we used to decide what all would be on our agenda the next day. Peru has so much of history that visiting all the churches and all the monuments and all the ruins in the city was not possible. So we would decide on the best church or the best kept ruin for the day and proceed there.

Roaming In Lima

In the morning (22/03/2013) we got up pretty late and were just in time for the buffet breakfast at the hotel. We also had to meet an Indian Lady at the hotel to whom we had to hand over some stuff that we carried from her Mom from Delhi. After breakfast and discussions with the lady we decided first to buy a local Peruvian sim card and then walk to the main square of Lima city called ‘Plaza De Armas’, have lunch and after that proceed to Miraflores district of Lima.

Buying a sim card was easy but somehow getting it activated was turning out to be difficult. A process that should take no more than 10 minutes had already taken about an hour. The problem was that we spoke no Spanish and the person we were dealing with spoke no English. Deciding not to waste any more time we continued on our walk towards Plaza De Armas.

It was a cloudy day with a few drops of rains falling now and then but luckily it was not that humid, ideal weather to enjoy the walk. The street that we took was only a pedestrian street with shops of all kinds lining it. We passed another square “ Plaza San martin” and there was some sort of anti govt demonstration that was going on. But the best part was that even during the demonstration and all the rallying around on microphones the crowd was pretty disciplined. After taking a few pictures we carried on. Next we entered a colonial church name ‘Iglesia De la Merced’. The church had beautiufull architecture both from outside and inside with some lovely carvings. As the service was on we decided not to spend much time there and move on towards Plaza de Armas.

Somewhere close to Armas we found a boy and a girl selling Peruvian Sim cards on the street. Luckily the girl spoke some broken English and we decided to check with her regarding our sim card problem. She was very helpful and went out of the way to help us. So much so that she left her work, took us all the way to the Movistar office, acted as our interpreter and helped us in getting our card activated. We reciprocated with a generous tip for helping us out.

In the process we had lost a lot of time and it was time for lunch. We went back to our hotel and after a quick bite we decided to go to Miraflores. Miraflores is the most popular tourist area of lima. It is right next to the coast and offeres amazing view of the pacific ocean and the coast line. It has plenty of restaurants, lots of accommodation for all budgets, lots of parks, lots of artists and artisans selling stuff and lots of other touristy things. Basically it’s very vibrant and has lots of soul to it.

It took us about 30 minutes in a taxi to reach Kennedy Park at miraflores from our hotel. We had chosen Kennedy Park as we were told that it’s a very happening place. But since it was just after lunch the park was more or less dead. So we decided to walk towards the coast and enjoy the views from there.

The coast at Miraflores is also called ‘Costa Verde’. The name is very apt as just where the sea meats the coast there starts a cliff and the walls of the cliffs are very green. The weather was foggy and the fog covering the cliffs, though reducing the visibility to a great extent, but was adding immensely to the beauty of the coast.

After roaming around the coast and enjoying nature at its best for couple of hours we walked back to Kennedy Park. As the evening was setting in Miraflores was coming to life. Lots of street artists, musicians, dating couples, kids and families were making the mood at the park light and enjoyable. There is also free wi-fi internet access in the park and people can just relax enjoy and catch up on their news there.

As mentioned earlier, by 1830 hrs it gets completely dark so it was time to head back to the hotel. We still were not hungry and not tired even to call it a day so we decided to take a walk back to ‘Plaza De Armas’ that we had missed earlier in the day. Again evenings in the main square were full of activity. Lot of locals had collected and were relaxing and enjoying the weather. The monuments were pretty well lit that added to the beauty.

We spent an hour there, had our dinner and came back to our hotel and slept. Tomorrow we still had about half a day in Lima before catching a bus to our next destination that was Nazca.

Now for some pictures from the day. Kindly note that no flash photography is allowed inside the Churches.

One of the squares at Lima – Plaza San Martin
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09280.jpg

A Demonstration under process
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09281.jpg

Walking the streets lined with shops and old colonial mansions
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09284a.jpg

A Colonial Church - Iglesia de la Merced
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09287.jpg

Beautifull architecture
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09289.jpg

Approaching Costa verde. You can see a tennis club in the foreground
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09298a.jpg

Costa Verde, all fogged out
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09299.jpg

Though the visibility was poor but the fog added to the charm of the cliffs
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09300.jpg

lots of clubs dotted the Pacific Ocean coastline
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09303.jpg

breathtaking views
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09305.jpg

Taking a walk along the coast
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09305a.jpg

The apartments next to the coast under fog cover
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09312.jpg

A shopping mall by the coast
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09318.jpg

People relaxing at Kennedy Park
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09318a.jpg

Lots of activities
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09318b.jpg

Monuments well lit up as the night falls. BTW this is the court just across our hotel.
(I did not carry a tripod so all night shots are either hand help or by keeping the camera on solid base)
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09338.jpg

La Cathedral de Lima lit up at Plaza de Armas
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09344.jpg

A closer look
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09351.jpg

More colonial buildings
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09349.jpg

Palacio De Gobierno (government palace) at the Armas
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09345.jpg

To Be Contd……Next Day
deky is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 14:53   #26
BHPian

Deky,

Another blockbuster from you.

Blockbuster TBHP travelogues are a family affair at home, wifey and I enjoy reading them together. Also, helps us plan our trips better. Peru and Machu Pichu is on my bucket-list too.

After having thoroughly enjoyed the adventure, action, suspense-thrillers from you I am sure will enjoy this log even more.

Waiting...

Kanth
BusyBoyKK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 15:34   #27
lsp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Thank you. You also have been a source of great encouragement. Btw, did the Tbhpian who went to Peru write about his travels??
Here is that Travelogue:-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...and-incas.html
lsp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 16:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

23/05/2013 : Lima half day and Lima to Nazca

23/05/2013 : Lima half day and Lima to Nazca

We just had the first half of the day left in Lima as we had a 1400 hrs bus to catch for our 7 hours bus ride to Nazca.

Since we did not have much time on hand we divided just to walk to the main square of Lima “Plaza de Armas’ and visit a few colonial churches there. Surprisingly we were to realize later that all main squares in Peruvian cities are called Plaza de Armas which literally means a place where weapons are presented or a place where Parade is held. This was a blessing in disguise as whenever we wanted to ask where the directions for main square, we just remembered the name Plaza de Armas.

The Plaza de Armas of Lima is huge and magnificient. It has historical buildings all around it and the square is neatly decorated with well maintained gardens, lovely flowers, benches to sit and an impressive bronze fountain in the centre. At one side of the Plaza is the ‘Palacio De Gobeirno’, this is the official resident of the President of Peru. On the right of the palace is ‘La Catedral De Lima or the main cathedral

This is the most important of the Colonial Churches as the Archbishop stays at his palace right next to the cathedral. This is also one of the oldest buildings standing in Lima. Though this Cathedral was badly damaged in an earthquake in the 16th Century and totally destroyed in another earthquake in the 17th century, but still subsequent restoration work has bought it back to its original glory.

The Cathedral is as impressive from inside as it is from outside. Apart from a museum it also has lots of tunnels and dungeons where one can see remains of many important men in the Colonial history of Peru.

We did not have much time left after the tour of the church so we decided to head back to the hotel. En route we picked up some empanadas as our lunch for our bus ride to Nazca.

We quickly checked out of the hotel after settling our dues and took a taxi to Cruz Del Sur bus station. This was the company we had chosen for our trip to Nazca.

NOTE: - Lima does not have a central bus stand. All individual bus companies have their own departing stations. So remember to find out the address and reach the station in time.

Pictures so far:-

Plaza De Armas with Presidential palace and the Main Cathedral
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09355.jpg

Presidential Palace
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09355a.jpg

A closer look with the royal guards standing to greet a dignitary
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09355b.jpg

Arrival of the dignitary
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09355c.jpg

On the right is the cathedral and the left of the pic (balconies) is the Archbishop’s Palace
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09359.jpg

Another view
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09359a.jpg

Closer look at the Cathedral architecture
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09376.jpg

Pictures from inside the cathedral ( Note, all the pic s are hand held without the use of flash)
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09380.jpg

To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09384.jpg

To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09387.jpg

Going inside the dungeons
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09388.jpg

To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09390.jpg

Remains of the buried
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09389.jpg

Some burial techniques
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09395.jpg

Some more remains
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09393.jpg

To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09401.jpg

To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09405.jpg

More pictures from the cathedral
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09398.jpg

To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09410.jpg

To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09418.jpg

To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09422.jpg

To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09423.jpg

Pictures, paintings, costumes, art from the cathedral museum

To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09411.jpg

To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09413.jpg

To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09414.jpg

To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09415.jpg

Lima to Nazca

About Cruz Del Sur Buses

To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09452a.jpg

I had pre booked 2 tickets with Cruz Del Sur Company to Nazca. This company is the best and the most recommended company for interstate travel in Peru. Though they are lot expensive than local companies but I feel because of the safety, security and comfort on long distance travel its totally justified.

Cruz del Sur has two classes of travel. The VIP class is on the lower deck and has more seat space and leg room and the regular class is on the top deck and is still comfortable but not as comfortable as the VIP class. Ofcourse the lower deck prices are about 20% higher than the top deck. The top deck also has some really really discounted (promotional) seats that they offer on internet booking. If you get these seats then these buses turn out to be as economical as regular buses. I booked 2 of these seats on our journey from Lima to Nazca and these seats were absolutely fine. Because the bus was empty, we were also offered a seat change but we were happy on these seats.

At the bus station they weigh and check in your luggage and issue you a luggage tag (just like at airports). You have to pass a security point before entering the bus and once you have boarded you cannot alight. Also while boarding a camera films the faces of all those boarding. These are all safety features.

There are 2 bus drivers in all coaches and they change after every 4 hrs. The bus does not stop anywhere in between apart from scheduled stops. If the bus stops, the control room comes to know as it is connected with a GPS to the bus. Also a maximum speed of 90kmph is maintained and if it is crossed a continuous beep indicates to slower the speed.

The bus has neat and clean toilets on each level. The seats even on the top level are very comfortable and recline a lot. They also issue a pillow and a blanket and also have a safety video played before the bus starts. During the journey snacks are served and a regular supply of beverages is given. So all in all the bus is absolutely v.f.m. for long distance travel.

Lima to Nazca

This 460 kms journey took us about 7 hrs to complete. We started at 1400 hrs and only reached our hotel in Nazca by 2130 hrs. After getting out of Lima the bus moves south on the Pan American highway. Most of the journey is along the Pacific Ocean coast and that offer’s splendid views. But unfortunately the day light diminishes by 1730 hrs and also because of the tinted bus windows, you can’t see much outside for most of the time.

The only stop for the bus en route is at Paracas. Paracas is a small town popular with tourists on the coast. It’s not foggy here like Lima so it’s a very popular destination with tourists. Paracas also hosts a lot of birds so that’s another attraction.

Next is Ica, which is the province capital of Ica region. It has the only airport in this region and Nazca from here is an hour away.

At Nazca, our guest house was kind enough to send us a complimentary pic up from the bus stand. We reached our guest house by 2130 hrs and quickly headed out for dinner, came back and slept.

Tomorrow would be an early morning flight over the Nazca Lines!!!!

Not many pics from the journey, just a couple

Along the Pacific coast
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09453.jpg

The barren dessert
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09458.jpg

Our guesthouse at Nazca
To the Lost City of Incas - Peru on a Budget!-dsc09459.jpg

Nazca Lines....To Be Contd
deky is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 17:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

@deky - Any snaps of the interiors of the bus. The bus surely looks very comfortable from the outside. Bigger version of the sleeper coaches in India
Old 26th June 2013, 17:38   #30
Senior - BHPian

Excelente cuaderno de viaje! Hehe, that is "Excellent travelogue" from Google translate.

Can't wait for the rest of the report to unfold. Machu Pichu is on my list too. One day.

Rated the thread a well-deserved 5 stars!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks