Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2013, 23:05   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Photologue: Central Brazil. Jaguars, Giant Otters, Macaws & more

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Excellent set of pictures Robi. Capturing the birds in flight, with such an excellent quality is not something a newbie photographer can do...Are the macaws so friendly to let you take a DSLR close to them? Thats really fantastic to see such close shots.
Thanks. As I have mentioned before, the macaws are very intelligent birds and after spending a few hours with them they became curious and came right up to us.

Soon they were so close that we had to use our wide angle lenses and leave our telephotos aside.
Photologue: Central Brazil. Jaguars, Giant Otters, Macaws & more-_dsm6759crp.jpg

This particular guy was very keen on the lens cap.
Photologue: Central Brazil. Jaguars, Giant Otters, Macaws & more-_mg_5298crp.jpg

Another vertical portrait.
Photologue: Central Brazil. Jaguars, Giant Otters, Macaws & more-_dsm6721.jpg
robimahanta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2013, 17:19   #32
BHPian

Stunning images robimahanta. Particularly loved the low angle crocodile and the macaw flying shots. I think the quality of images here is a little low due to compression, is there some other site where you have hosted your images in full size?

Also can you please share the details of the telephoto lenses that you used?
Old 15th August 2013, 17:59   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post

Day 1: The long haul flight

.... by Qatar airways and reached Sao Paulo after what seemed like an eternity.
Eternity - I can understand the feeling. I went a little further down to Buenos Aires. After landing at BA, we all passengers started clapping out of joy that the eternity came to an end.
Old 15th August 2013, 18:24   #34
BHPian

Reminds me of the "Rio" movie! Amazing photos.. Macaws look like the perfect photo posers..
odyssey045 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2013, 19:11   #35
BHPian

Some excellent, top quality pictures in here Robi. Great work and thanks for sharing them with us. Have the same question as audioholic above about the Macaws and them being so camera friendly. Also, were the jaguars too hard to find cause they are supposed to be notoriously shy.
Old 16th August 2013, 23:23   #36
BHPian

Re: Photologue: Central Brazil. Jaguars, Giant Otters, Macaws & more

Those parrots in flight remind me of the movie Avatar. Super colorful
pratap.pratu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 06:09   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
Some excellent, top quality pictures in here Robi. Great work and thanks for sharing them with us. Have the same question as audioholic above about the Macaws and them being so camera friendly. Also, were the jaguars too hard to find cause they are supposed to be notoriously shy.
Thanks. I had processed most of the images for print and just batch re-sized it to meet the upload specifications of tbhp. Actually all the images uploaded are low resolution files with a size less than 500kb. Hence, the drop in quality. I will post a link to the photologue once I upload high resolution files to some site.

Meanwhile some more Jaguar images:

Just out of the bush
Photologue: Central Brazil. Jaguars, Giant Otters, Macaws & more-_u7v1453.jpg

Walking on water
Photologue: Central Brazil. Jaguars, Giant Otters, Macaws & more-_u7v0998.jpg

Up close
Photologue: Central Brazil. Jaguars, Giant Otters, Macaws & more-_dsm7120.jpg

Keeping an watch
Photologue: Central Brazil. Jaguars, Giant Otters, Macaws & more-_dsm7063.jpg

Living on the edge
Photologue: Central Brazil. Jaguars, Giant Otters, Macaws & more-_u7v1501.jpg

Perfect camouflage
Photologue: Central Brazil. Jaguars, Giant Otters, Macaws & more-_dsm7223.jpg
robimahanta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 12:40   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess this photologue is getting monotonous with birds and mammals. So uploading some landscape images.

A beautiful sunset, love the cloud pattern
Photologue: Central Brazil. Jaguars, Giant Otters, Macaws & more-_dsm7312.jpg

Searching for Jaguars on the river banks
Photologue: Central Brazil. Jaguars, Giant Otters, Macaws & more-_mg_5406.jpg

The moon is out
Photologue: Central Brazil. Jaguars, Giant Otters, Macaws & more-_mg_5335.jpg

Purple hue all around
Photologue: Central Brazil. Jaguars, Giant Otters, Macaws & more-_dsm7315.jpg
Old 18th August 2013, 13:07   #39
BHPian

Robi, excellent pictures mate! I think this is the first exclusive wild life pics in Tbhp..How many hours did it take to reach brazil from Qatar?Just curious.
Old 19th August 2013, 02:13   #40

Wow! Robi...the pictures are just amazing and truly NAT GEO worthy. i have been to Brazil several times and have done the Manaus trip...stayed in the Amazon for few nights...Piranha Fishing...River cruise to see the 2 rivers merge, night safari to see whatever wildlife...got a Python draped around my neck...held a Sloth for a while...and always felt it was an amazing trip. but yours is even better. its now encouraged me to explore that part of Brazil. the pictures are truly fantastic....Obrigada!!
Old 19th August 2013, 19:25   #41
BHPian

Great pics mate! These panthers are very shy animals, the ones in africa and india. The wildlife pics are awesome - qualify for a wildlife mag! Have a few leopard pics from kenya , will post if its ok with you,
regards
Amar

Last edited by maverick56 : 19th August 2013 at 19:28. Reason: to add one more line
Old 19th August 2013, 21:06   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

You know what Robi, so far I had seen samples of your photos and thought them 5 star pictures. A travelogue from you is a treat. The star system does not apply and does not do it justice. I discovered this thread a bit late..my bad.

I am a great fan of Brazilian culture and music (Jazz, pop) courtesy my late Father who like many others of his generation spent their youth listening to music from Antonio Carlos Jobim and other others composers like Eumir Deodato. I was hoping to visit Brazil (Sao Paulo) on business in 2011 but unfortunately it didn't work out.

Thanks a million for sharing! Cheers!
Old 20th August 2013, 05:25   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphilip View Post
Robi, excellent pictures mate! I think this is the first exclusive wild life pics in Tbhp..How many hours did it take to reach brazil from Qatar?Just curious.
Thanks. Qatar to Brazil was around 15hrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricxx View Post
Wow! Robi...the pictures are just amazing and truly NAT GEO worthy. i have been to Brazil several times and have done the Manaus trip...stayed in the Amazon for few nights...Piranha Fishing...River cruise to see the 2 rivers merge, night safari to see whatever wildlife...got a Python draped around my neck...held a Sloth for a while...and always felt it was an amazing trip. but yours is even better. its now encouraged me to explore that part of Brazil. the pictures are truly fantastic....Obrigada!!
Thanks. I will do Manaus and Amazon in the coming years once a decent itinerary is worked out. Brazil is an amazing place for nature lovers and you should definitely do Pantanal next time you are there. The best time of the year to do it is July-October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick56 View Post
Great pics mate! These panthers are very shy animals, the ones in africa and india. The wildlife pics are awesome - qualify for a wildlife mag! Have a few leopard pics from kenya , will post if its ok with you,
regards
Amar
Thanks Amar. I had been to Kenya a few times and the sighting of a leopard in Kenya is much easier than sighting a Jaguar in Brazil. Maybe I ll pen down a photologue from my experiences in Kenya and would love to have your leopard images in that thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
You know what Robi, so far I had seen samples of your photos and thought them 5 star pictures. A travelogue from you is a treat. The star system does not apply and does not do it justice. I discovered this thread a bit late..my bad.

I am a great fan of Brazilian culture and music (Jazz, pop) courtesy my late Father who like many others of his generation spent their youth listening to music from Antonio Carlos Jobim and other others composers like Eumir Deodato. I was hoping to visit Brazil (Sao Paulo) on business in 2011 but unfortunately it didn't work out
Thanks R2D2, hope you photography pursuits are shaping up nicely. I presume you have got some brilliant Nikon hardware. I would definitely recommend you to do Brazil whenever you get a chance, I wish I had some more time and was able to visit the adjacent countries like Peru, Bolivia etc.

Few more images:

Yawning otter
Photologue: Central Brazil. Jaguars, Giant Otters, Macaws & more-_u7v1405.jpg

Capybara side profile
Photologue: Central Brazil. Jaguars, Giant Otters, Macaws & more-_dsm7165.jpg

Caiman in evening light
Photologue: Central Brazil. Jaguars, Giant Otters, Macaws & more-_u7v1534.jpg

The iconic Jabirou stork
Photologue: Central Brazil. Jaguars, Giant Otters, Macaws & more-_dsm7194.jpg

Amazon Kingfisher
Photologue: Central Brazil. Jaguars, Giant Otters, Macaws & more-_u7v1556.jpg
Old 20th August 2013, 11:18   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Thanks R2D2, hope you photography pursuits are shaping up nicely. I would definitely recommend you to do Brazil whenever you get a chance, I wish I had some more time and was able to visit the adjacent countries like Peru, Bolivia etc.
Thanks Robi. I would certainly love to go to South America, starting with Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Chile and Peru. Guess its too much to dream of at this time for multiple reasons.

But if by chance Lady Luck smiles on me I had some queries. How did you guys manage to travel with a heavy kit including cameras, tripods, gimbal heads and lenses - especially the super telephotos? Were you allowed to carry the gear on board? Did you use Pelican cases? I cant imagine you would have checked it in - mishandling and loss of baggage are a nightmare for photographers and other travellers.
Old 20th August 2013, 12:36   #45
Senior - BHPian

Wow! You had an amazing trip Robi. Loved the shots of Macaws, did not know they are so friendly to mankind.

Toucan shots are way above perfection. So lovely.

Waiting for an up close Jaguar shot, I am sure you will delight us with your reserve.

Already 5 star! What am I doing by polling again

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks