Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2013, 12:17   #16
BHPian

Re: Scuba Diving in the Great Barrier Reefs

Diving from 1974 to 1989, Respect, to you Capitan, from an advanced PADI diver !

Goa : Not a great place to dive, most of the times the visibility is 5+ meters. The best site, based on my experience, is Susie's wreck.

GoPro : I think you can get extra batteries at very good price from most of the on line stores.
Old 25th October 2013, 11:19   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlyak View Post
Diving from 1974 to 1989, Respect, to you Capitan, from an advanced PADI diver !

Goa : Not a great place to dive, most of the times the visibility is 5+ meters. The best site, based on my experience, is Susie's wreck.

GoPro : I think you can get extra batteries at very good price from most of the on line stores.
Can you throw some light on Susie's wreck?

I was planning to go to Havelock but am not satisfied with the visibility there.

Any alternates?

Maldives appears too pricey.

Rgds

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurafan View Post
Very nice pictures and travelogue. Reminded me of my dive trip to GBR. I did the 4 days liveaboard on Spirit Of Freedom. We dove Cods Hole, Outer Reef and the Ribbon reef. Also a Shark dive with feeding frenzy. It was really a nice experience as it was my first live aboard and diving in warm waters.

Capt Chitnis, let me know if it is OK with you then I can add few pictures in your thread mostly the sharks that I encountered.
Most welcome.

Can you suggest some good economical live aboard packages?

I am in training for my next scuba diving expedition

Rgds

Last edited by GTO : 26th October 2013 at 16:28. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 25th October 2013, 11:37   #18
BHPian

Hello Captain,

Hope the below inputs will help you.

Name : Suzy's Wreck also, some call it as SS Rita.

History : (based on what i heard and read on web sites : Arrived carrying a cargo full of railroad tracks and proceeded to sink in a storm in which only one crew member lost their life

Depth : 3 mts to 12 meter
Length of the ship : Around 30 meters
Current : Medium
Dive difficulty level : Easy
Visibility : Poor (5 meters, if u reach there by 8AM or so. Then water starts getting choppy. Also, number of divers increases. Most of them are not divers, they come with dive trip organisers. )

Bio : grouper, angel, snappers, scorpion fishes and Lion fish (i just loved seeing that chap !)

Access to this site is better from Bogmalo beach. This is the nearest spot to this site. Others, who operate from others parts of Goa, takes more than 1 hr trip to reach to the site. Whereas, from Bogmalo beach, you can reach with in 15 mins. Also, if you like calm, not so crowded beach, this is a nice spot. The catch is, there is only one Dive centre in this beach, which is http://www.goadiving.com/ Run by Gary, a nice smart man. You might like him.

Video by someone :

Feel free to ask me, if you need any specific info about this site or about any Dive centres in Goa. During last season, I sept some 10 days diving in Goa
ashlyak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 16:18   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlyak View Post
Hello Captain,

Hope the below inputs will help you.

Name : Suzy's Wreck also, some call it as SS Rita.

Visibility : Poor (5 meters, if u reach there by 8AM or so. Then water starts getting choppy. Also, number of divers increases. Most of them are not divers, they come with dive trip organisers. )

Bio : grouper, angel, snappers, scorpion fishes and Lion fish (i just loved seeing that chap !)

he catch is, there is only one Dive centre in this beach, which is http://www.goadiving.com/ Run by Gary, a nice smart man. You might like him.

Feel free to ask me, if you need any specific info about this site or about any Dive centres in Goa. During last season, I sept some 10 days diving in Goa
Interesting vid. Thanks for sharing.

Rgds
Old 25th October 2013, 16:32   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Captain, your photos are amazing and inspiring. I tried to get PADI certified a couple of years ago in Goa and thereafter off Netrani, but ran in to one major issue - try as I might, I couldn't equalize. Whatever I tried, blowing out in various ways, didn't work. The dive instructor was very patient, but I ended up aborting 2 dives because of this issue and I almost blacked out once while under. I'm a good swimmer, so this is pretty frustrating for me.

Is there anything I can try to resolve this 'unable to equalize' issue? I hear there are some nasal sprays that might help, but I rather not try anything pharmaceutical for something like this, if I can help it. Am going to give it one more shot next year and any advice from you would be much appreciated. Thanks and please keep the underwater pics coming!
Old 25th October 2013, 16:53   #21
BHPian

Nanduchitnis: if you have specific questions on visibility and so on about Andamans, Havelock, Barefoot and DiveIndia are most happy to answer promptly. DiveIndia is an active group on Facebook. The pictures will clarify any doubts about clarity and anything else.

Am1am: Regarding equalizing, I just make sure I keep swallowing (if holding the nose and popping your ears doesn't work.)
Divers I met in Kota Kinabalu mentioned taking 'Sudafed' the night before the dive. But I suggest medication only if recommended by a doctor naturally.

Last edited by Automaton : 25th October 2013 at 16:54.
Automaton is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 20:26   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Captain, your photos are amazing and inspiring.

Is there anything I can try to resolve this 'unable to equalize' issue? I hear there are some nasal sprays that might help, but I rather not try anything pharmaceutical for something like this, if I can help it. Am going to give it one more shot next year and any advice from you would be much appreciated. Thanks and please keep the underwater pics coming!
Confession: Can you believe it I had the same issue in GBR despite years of diving experience? But of course my last dive in Indian Navy was1989.

So what I did on return from Oz to India, was and am doing, got myself mask, snorkels and fins and started practising snorkelling and and free diving in my swim pool in Pune.

First 3 days I had major issues. After 5 days I am able to snorkel just about elementary level and free dive some 15 meters only.

During free dives I swim at the bottom of the pool and equalise.

I have a schedule of 3 months to get fit for PADI/SSI with DIVEIndia. I am touch with Mr Kalia.

You may follow the same regime.

Rgds
nanduchitnis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 20:57   #23
BHPian

Sounds like lack of practice and therefore the apprehension.
It's like cycling, you won't forget how, just have to start off.

You will know that it's much safer and comfortable underwater and with your mask and oxygen than on the surface getting tired trying to ward off waves splashing into you and maintain position.

I'm sure you will get the hang of it all over again in a few minutes with the instructors around.

All the best. Keep up with the will power!
Old 1st November 2013, 15:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Amazing TL Captain Nandu Chitnis!!! Just looked up our forum for Scuba Diving and found this gem.

Lets hope our Scuba Diver Club - India (SDCI) on Facebook brings us more such opportunities soon.
Old 1st November 2013, 21:55   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
Most welcome.

Can you suggest some good economical live aboard packages?

Rgds
Here you go, some of my diving photos from GBR
Scuba Diving in the Great Barrier Reefs-dscn0058.jpg

Scuba Diving in the Great Barrier Reefs-dscn0061.jpg

Scuba Diving in the Great Barrier Reefs-dscn0122.jpg

Scuba Diving in the Great Barrier Reefs-dscn0123.jpg

Scuba Diving in the Great Barrier Reefs-dscn0138.jpg

Scuba Diving in the Great Barrier Reefs-dscn0157.jpg

Scuba Diving in the Great Barrier Reefs-dscn0163.jpg

Scuba Diving in the Great Barrier Reefs-dscn0197.jpg

Scuba Diving in the Great Barrier Reefs-dscn0203.jpg

Scuba Diving in the Great Barrier Reefs-dscn0350.jpg

Scuba Diving in the Great Barrier Reefs-dscn0362.jpg

Scuba Diving in the Great Barrier Reefs-dscn0365.jpg

Scuba Diving in the Great Barrier Reefs-dscn0397.jpg

Scuba Diving in the Great Barrier Reefs-dscn0429.jpg

Scuba Diving in the Great Barrier Reefs-dscn0431.jpg

Scuba Diving in the Great Barrier Reefs-spirit-freedom-6b-23.jpg

Scuba Diving in the Great Barrier Reefs-spirit-freedom-6c-6.jpg

Scuba Diving in the Great Barrier Reefs-spirit-freedom-6a-38.jpg

Last edited by acurafan : 1st November 2013 at 22:09.
acurafan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 12:36   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Here you go, some of my diving photos from GBR

Attachment 1161123

Attachment 1161124
Absolutely spell binding !

Dream shots for any scuba diver.

What camera and flashes were you using?

Rgds

Capt Nandu Chitnis
Old 6th November 2013, 01:28   #27
BHPian

This trip was done in 2009. That time I had a Nikon Coolpix 5100 (4 MP Camera) in a Light and Motion housing + Nikon SB-105 strobe. I also had a Macro and Wide Angle attachment lens.
For last couple of years I use a Canon A590 with Ikelite Housing, but I rarely dive after I came back to India :-(
Need to get back to diving soon.
Old 10th November 2013, 11:35   #28
BHPian

Quote:
This trip was done in 2009. That time I had a Nikon Coolpix 5100 (4 MP Camera) in a Light and Motion housing + Nikon SB-105 strobe. I also had a Macro and Wide Angle attachment lens.
For last couple of years I use a Canon A590 with Ikelite Housing, but I rarely dive after I came back to India :-(
Need to get back to diving soon.
Thanks for the information. I wonder if I can get Nikon strobe in India.

Yes you must get back to diving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks