Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2013, 12:30   #1

From Pune to Veer Dam

I did not find the thread for Veer Dam, so starting a new one.

Sunday morning 10.30 am, I returned home after playing cricket. Mom and Wife told me that they are preparing lunch but would like to have it somewhere near the river. I was like wow !

Then dad and me started calling our friends to see if we have some good location near Pune. One of dad's friend told - Veer Dam.
I did not have time to see for the details on the internet as dad has already got all of it. So we started from Katraj, Pune around 11.30am, The route I took is Old Katraj Ghat -> NH4 till Shirval , on the right side you will see Shripatrao Kadam College, Take the left turn there -> Khandala Loni Road.

From Pune to Veer Dam-map1.jpg
From Pune to Veer Dam-map2.jpg

Overall from Katraj, It's around 60Kms. Before reaching to dam, we saw the backwater (Time in my clock was 1.30 pm) and decided to stop there itself for lunch. We could not find big tree under which could have the lunch, but then my WagonR came to help.

From Pune to Veer Dam-dsc01180.jpg
From Pune to Veer Dam-dsc01179.jpg
From Pune to Veer Dam-dsc01169.jpg

This is also a good place for bird lovers as lot of migratory birds visit this place every year during Dec-March. We spotted couple of them.

From Pune to Veer Dam-dsc01172.jpg
From Pune to Veer Dam-dsc01176.jpg
From Pune to Veer Dam-dsc01211.jpg

We finished our lunch and started back for Pune around 3pm and reached by 4.30pm. Yes We did not go to the actual dam.

Overall a nice place for half day trip from Pune.
Attached Thumbnails
From Pune to Veer Dam-dsc01170.jpg  

sms255 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 13:19   #2
BHPian

Re: From Pune to Veer Dam

Wow! Nice place. Never heard about it before.
Thanks for making us aware of it.

Are there any good eateries around?
A probable place for next drive meet?!
Old 30th December 2013, 16:01   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Wow! Nice place. Never heard about it before.
Thanks for making us aware of it.

Are there any good eateries around?
A probable place for next drive meet?!

Thanks the_skyliner.

I saw Hotel Sai International there but not sure about food quality as I haven't visited it. But this place is close to Shirval city, so you can find good options on the way. Also as I mentioned in my note, this place is home for migratory birds during the season.
Old 31st December 2013, 13:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to go there in Jan 2014 for birding. Your log helped me narrow down the route
Old 31st December 2013, 14:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a great place for a short day trip. The left turn should be immediately after the bridge on Nira river.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
I am planning to go there in Jan 2014 for birding. Your log helped me narrow down the route
If you want more company. let me know.
I think you have been to Bhigwan already? bhpian dot went, there should be a TL around here
Old 31st December 2013, 14:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Looks like a great place for a short day trip. The left turn should be immediately after the bridge on Nira river.

If you want more company. let me know.
I think you have been to Bhigwan already? bhpian dot went, there should be a TL around here
I had been to Bhigwan in Dec 2012 and this Sat again I would be in Bhigwan with my gear ! I will let you know once I finalize the date for Veer dam as it depends on the lens availability for birding.
Old 31st December 2013, 19:31   #7
BHPian

Thanks for letting us know about this place. We often travel to Balaji temple at Ketkawale and it seems to be less than 10kms from there. We will surely visit this place next time we visit Balaji temple.
Old 25th September 2017, 16:28   #8
BHPian

Years later that I chanced upon this thread, actually my wife did.. But i actually chanced upon this place yesterday when driving back from Gondavle to Pune.
So when driving back home, we decided to take this route and suddenly came across this huge water body!
The road from Phaltan to here was pathetic with about 4-5 kms of well laid tar out of 28 kms.
The pain increased even more since I had only yesterday changed my tires to michelin xm2.. A softer compound.

With the recent rains, the water body was just breathtaking. More so because we were just trying out a new road and did not expect it to be there.

Planning to visit again soon to spend half a day or so and have a good ride.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks