Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2014, 00:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP

Prologue!
First off, people who know me will never believe me, if I said I will drive whole 500+kms for a Mandir visit. There are friends and there are extreme Bhakt friends in your circle. The one who fast four days out of seven a week. Well this trip was long awaited for one of such friend's insistence. And i will not regret taking it.

Route was carefully plotted, As I was traveling to MP for the first time. i have no idea about the state, the people and the culture, Don't even know how the MP girls look like. I have not traveled down south too. But I have a slight idea about it, even I will never know if someone is Giving Gali to me in that language. Hope you got the point.

Route was pretty simple

Abu>Pindwara>Udaipur>Nimbahera>Neemuch>Mandsaur>Ja ora>Ujjain

Abu to Udaipur NH76
This is the most beautiful route but very expensive. You can do 160+, but don't, as curves are not for everyone, especially drivers who drives in plains. It will under steer, no doubt! Also beware especially in monsoon, of falling rocks. They have not made anything like barrier to stop this. The whole part of mountain may fall on the highway

Udaipur to Nimbahera
Nimbahera is the border town of Rajasthan and MP. This part is bit tricky. We have to leave NH76 leading to Chittaur/Allahabad and use a single lane State/Village road that connects NH79. This road although being single is very crowded with trucks, because it connects NH79 toward MP. To make the matter worst you have cattle and village people on tractors and two wheelers.

Nimbahera to Mandsaur NH79
This is a beautiful four lane road. Except for the traffic at border RTO and the flyover that is being made, else the road is smooth. Why don't Govt do something and make a by pass at all RTO check post. Gujarat has mastered these.

Jaora to Ujjain SH17
We leave smooth NH79 and took SH17 towards Ujjain. this is a single lane State highway. very less traffic but speed bumps at each village. . So max you can do is 80. Roads is very well built except about 7 kms ...well is no roads at all. Better watch out for cattle.

Ujjain
Its a very crowded city with narrow roads and alleys full of people who have no traffic sense whatsoever.

As a local guy said Ujjain is all about temples. If you walk with a bag of wheat grain, and drop a single grain in each temple. Till evening you will empty your bag but there will still be some temple left.

2016 Kumb Mela will slated to be held here. The Ghats are being renovated. It will be a logistical disaster if Govt does not rebuild its infrastructure in time, as city I fell is to much crowded already.

The Main Mahakaleshwar temple is very beautiful with a kund inside. The BHASM AARTI in wee hours at 4:00 am is very important. It needs prior booking and permission. Booking can be done online or one day prior 9:00 am onwards. Counter opens at 10:30. You need photo id. Each form will allow three people. You need a proper dhoti/lungi to attend this with a Lota.

There are 5 AARTI. If you are practical like me you will like the 10:30 pm one, which end at 11:30 hence very less crowd. Enter mandir at 9:15pm and you are good to go. My friends attended all of them, even the 4 am one and not let me sleep with their dhoti tying escapades. Morons!

Hotels are very cheap, so expect basic amenities. Normally we are used to in-house restaurants with bar. Parking is a major issue with hotels near the Temple. I chose one that was just newly built and had one in front of it.

Major Issue we faced was food. This place simple does not have a good restaurants. Almost all of them will serve veg food. what a bummer for a chicken freak like me!!

Major Points
1. Road TOLLS I have drove all over. But MP roads have the cheapest toll. Highest I paid was Rs.30. Tolls were like 16/20/26/30. Compare this with Jaipur Delhi stretch, which has toll as high as Rs.115 and its still being made. I will support Raj Thakre and his crazy MNS goons if he breaks these Jaipur/Delhi toll.

2. Diesel Diesel is expensive in MP. So will be petrol. I have my own supply of diesel (don't ask). For a guy who pays 40 rs. for diesel, Rs.60.25 is a big let down.

3. Food What we deduce from our trip is that MP people are not food-a-holic like Delhiwala or Punjabi or Bengali for that matter. I never found one decent restaurants or even a Dhaba. We order three sabzi and two dals. And believe me even the Dal tasted all alike - just the name were different.lol!

4. People MP people are decent and honest but have no traffic sense whatsoever. There is harmony among people and communities. I mean first time I have seen couple of Muslim guys in the temple....hold your chair...selling Mahakal Memorabilia. Muslim autowalas, praising the Mahakal Temple for their livelihood and having their own great opinion about how different religion leads to same great God. Beat that you bloody politicians.

5. Best way to travel inside the city will be by auto or old Tempo Hanseat (Yup they still use it, environmental freaks! will freak out). Leave your car at hotel. There is simply no parking space even in posh area -Free-Gunj. Now Free-Gunj is like CP of Ujjain. And then you have all those towing cranes. Police are decent guys though. I entered a one way and they simple told me the correct direction in return.

Images

Beautiful Udaipur Highway 76
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-1-udaipur-nh-76.jpg

Caught this baba in a tea stall. Full-on high on grass
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-1-udaipur-nh-76c.jpg

A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-1-udaipur-nh-76d.jpg

There are two tunnels on NH76 Beware of falling stones on NH76
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-1-udaipur-nh-76e.jpg

A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-1-udaipur-nh-76f.jpg

A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-1-udaipur-nh-76g.jpg

I hardly take any thella things, they are very harsh on my stomach.

Little Junk food won't hurt.
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-2-nimbahera-.jpg

Plotting the next route in near Debari
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-2-nimbahera-a1.jpg

Here you go. The bypass 45 kms of sheer nonsense
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-2-nimbahera-b.jpg

NH79 what a relief
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-3-nh-79.jpg

I spoke too soon...
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-3-nh-79a.jpg

Pradusan Janch Kendra in other words PUC. mine expired a week ago and didn't even realize. Thats a big bummer for car freak like me. It never happened.
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-3-nh-79b.jpg

Its a mobile PUC
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-3-nh-79c.jpg

SH17 from Jaora to Ujjain
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-4-sh17.jpg

Only the name is great. Food is $hit!
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-4-sh17a.jpg

Plotting the next route, right to the temple
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-4-sh17b.jpg

Calling wife and also trying the Van Damme Volvo split on a charpai
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-4-sh17c.jpg

Well said.
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-4-sh17d.jpg

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th April 2014 at 02:41. Reason: Typo corrected, thanks
SirAlec is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 01:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP

More Photos...

Like I said City of Temples

A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-5-ujjain.jpg

Stall selling Flower and Puja stuff

A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-5-ujjain1.jpg

This is 9:00pm
. Empty street
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-5-ujjain2.jpg

Like I said I am not that Mandir going type. But i can sit here for hours and not do anything. Its a strange feeling for a workaholic like me. It was so peaceful. Photography was banned, But i could not help taking one shot for later.
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-5-ujjain3.jpg

Old Lady selling things
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-5-ujjain4.jpg

Beautiful
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-5-ujjain5.jpg

Yeah! Get high... the devotional way!
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-5-ujjain6.jpg

Temp Hanseat. Still doing its duties. Environmentalist East $hit!
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-5-ujjain7.jpg

Unique Gear Lever
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-5-ujjain8.jpg

In MP you use your moped as Pickup Trucks
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-5-ujjain9.jpg

Auto ride. Very cheap
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-5-ujjain9a.jpg

Shipra River. This is where Kumbh is going to be held in 2016
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-6-shipra.jpg

A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-6-shipra1.jpg

A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-6-shipra2.jpg

A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-6-shipra3.jpg

A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-6-shipra4.jpg

People doing things that do after a last rites.
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-6-shipra5.jpg

A tour bus on Eicher Chasis. Rs.50 per head.
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-bus.jpg

Like I said, a very unique sightings. A devoted Muslim seling Mahakal Memorabilia.
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-hassan-bhai.jpg

SirAlec is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 01:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

And then some more Photos...

This is a Temple which takes wine as offerings.
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-7-daru-mandir.jpg

A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-7-daru-mandir1.jpg

The shops in question
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-7-daru-mandir2.jpg

Let me Zoom it for you.
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-7-daru-mandir3.jpg

Braked very Hard and stopped for some Elephant Gyan.! This is a very majestic animal maybe intelligent too. The moment i caressed it it used to lift the trunk. What an awesome feeling. its just that Owner didn't let me touch it to much.A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-8-elephant-gyan.jpg

A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-8-elephant-gyana.jpg

True Easy Riders. They travel the length and breath of country on a basic commuter bike. with no riding Gear. RESPECT!A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-9-easy-rider.jpg

A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-9-easy-ridera.jpg

Fiat Super Select owned by a Mahant of an Akhara. In bone stock condition
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-img_4275-large.jpg

A CJ3B in good form. But 4x4 removed. what a silly guy.
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-img_4344-large.jpg

A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-img_4345-large.jpg

A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-img_4347-large.jpg

MP tourism Brochure. I wish i could go to all these places. Time is a major factor. Hope someday.

A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-mp-brochure.jpg

Lights! Camera!......and Action!. Imagine the revenue these guys make considering the fact that 1000s of trucks that passes through these check points on daily basis.

RTO punters asking for Kharcha!...
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-x-bribe1.jpg

Poor driver giving the kharcha!
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-xbribe2.jpg

Punters receiving the kharcha!
A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP-xbribe3.jpg

Thanks for reading
SirAlec is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 06:04   #4
Team-BHP Support

Nice! We all write about the roads and the places. The best part is how to add your own perspectives. It shows everything; roads, car enthusiast, foodie and of course the urge to drive even if you are not temple man!

Moral of the story:
Any road trip is a good road trip, as long as you are driving!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 07:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

This travelogue is "different" than usual travelogues posted here. It includes all kind of ingredients like travel, roads, fund, spiritual, auto, food. I thoroughly enjoyed and picture tells story itself . I will also sometime visit Ujjain, not sure when.

PS: For long, I was looking for light bar design for installing aux lights in my Tata Safari. I just found in your car. I wanted to make similar bar for my Tata Safari as I do not want to install bull bar. Any help appreciated designing this bar for Tata Safari.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 11:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ujjain is well known for Shiv Bhakts praying to a frenzy and trying to emulate the ways of the God in a very literal way. Aside from the picture you have posted here, I am reminded of holy-men, liberally coating themselves with ash (from nearby crematorium) and then working themselves up into a frenzy while praying. Even the tika that is applied on the forehead of pilgrims is from the same source.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 18:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
This travelogue is "different" than usual travelogues posted here. It includes all kind of ingredients like travel, roads, fund, spiritual, auto, food. I thoroughly enjoyed and picture tells story itself . I will also sometime visit Ujjain, not sure when.

PS: For long, I was looking for light bar design for installing aux lights in my Tata Safari. I just found in your car. I wanted to make similar bar for my Tata Safari as I do not want to install bull bar. Any help appreciated designing this bar for Tata Safari.
Hope you enjoyed the write up.

Sirji! As for the light mounts, there is a DIY for this setup done by your's truely somewhere here.
Old 9th March 2014, 17:47   #8
BHPian

Re: A 525 kms Pilgrimage: Ujjain, MP

The Road that you traveled upon from Nimbaherra to Jaora to Ujjain , is a relatively new toll road. True that the road existed earlier but it was until recently a shamble. Since the road has now come up, the road side infrastructure is bound to come in next cpl of years.

Had you not turned from Jaora and gone straight to Badnawar via Ratlam then you would find yummy tasty food at Ratlam (Ratlami sev is exported in tonnes) , Badnawar ki Kachori is world famous, Ghevar from Ujjain too (Apart from the Rajasthani one) .

Bhaang at Ujjain, Food at Meghdoot dhabha at Ujjain, Gujrati thali at Natraj/Hotel Gujrat near Bus stand are all famous. Snacks at Free Gunj are too.

We Indoris are more foodaholic than ujjain. The reason Ujjain not having good resturants may be cuz ppl from there frequently come to Indore for outings (Its hardly 55 kms on a 4 lane).

Indore Poha, Indori Sev, Indore ki Kachori, Indore ki Tikiya and what not and a great Non veg fare too...

In Indore, you are never more than 10 mins away from a food stall/hotel/tea stall. Next time travel upto Indore to have best veg and non veg food.

Be it at a Dhabha or at a five star.......
bhavtol is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks