Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2014, 10:27   #31
BHPian

Re: Andamans: Pristine Nature in all its glory

Hi Dhanush,

Excellent pictures. It reminded me of my trip to Andamans last year for my First year wedding anniversary.

Even for us, Chidiya Tapu will remain the best beach in the entire region. I know that Radhanagar beach rates higher for some people, but for me it will always be Chidiya Tapu for its pristine waters and the background it offers. If you don't mind, I would like to share a picture of Chidiya Tapu during our visit. Have a look. Simply out of this world.

Andamans: Pristine Nature in all its glory-dsc08307_reduced.jpg

Thanks for making me relive the moments.

Regards,
Anant
anantu2001 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 10:44   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks one and all for your very kind words. You were very kind indeed.
I have one more set of snaps which would cover the historic cellular jail and a visit to Mount Harriet.
However, I feel that I should stop it now.
If I am to write about cellular jail. I would never be able to do justice with words in explaining it. It is one place which can be understood by only visiting it.
Still I am contemplating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Just an observation, those bikers are wearing helmets with no 'jaw' protection
Yes. The bikers do not wear helmets with jaw protection. May be because this hampers their visibility or may come through as an obstruction during their stunts.
If you notice, in one of the pictures, there is one guy standing in the centre with no helmet at all. That was because, during the procedure of that stunt, he had to pivot his head on another person's head.
There were other similar stunts too in which people did not wear helmet.

After all, its not for nothing that they are called the dare devil Tornadoes. Everything comes with it's share of risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Ranger View Post
Excellent Pictures Dhanush. A very different view of Andamans from your angle. Very well put and compiled.

Thanks for sharing.

BR,
Thanks buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
Photos are top Class, and you just proved again that you don't need fancy camera and lenses but an eye for photography.
Thanks figo_mba. Hope you did notice the snap in which I had mentioned of "lambing around"
And for fancy cameras, you are right. You have proved it time and again with your mobile camera. Hope our official photographer vaisakhr will go easy on me when he reads this

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
great pics, way to go bro.
Thanks buddy. A comment "great pics" coming from you; boy, ain't I elated!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Super super pics Dhanush. Excellent write up too. Enjoyed reading it. Now waiting for your next log
Next log??
naveen.raju, next log can come only when I go out somewhere next. And as for the situation I have in my office, I dare not ask for anything for some time to come.
However, I did contemplate a bit on writing about my visit to Thekkady and Rameshwaram. That was done back in 2012 and memory is always rusted.
Time is also another big factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Awesome write up Dhanush, and the pics are really mind blowingly awesome!

Like figo_mba said, its like I visited the Andamans by looking at the pics! Hats off bro, and eagerly waiting for your next travelogue!
Thanks speedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I'd like to know if pure veg food is easily available there.
Pure veg hotels are available. One of the favourite eateries there is a pure veg hotel- Annapurna.
Having said that, I submit that sea food is what people usually prefer for a fare in Andamans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
Wonderful travelog,
I also visited there and the waves of Radhanagar still resonate in my ears.
Andaman and the blue waters there are extremely calming.
Here is one pic from my visit.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/avinashgodbole/8613936656/
Nice pics there avingodb.
Looks like we have shared the same frame Corbyn's Cove in two of your pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Simply Amazing! There are so many beautiful and mesmerizing places in India itself, that I wonder if we can see them all. A nicely written travelogue with some wonderful pictures; just loved seeing the pictures. Thanks for sharing, Andaman islands now put in the list of 'my places to visit' !
Thanks W.A.G.7.
Do visit Andamans. May your "my places to visit" list be checked as soon as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajoy123 View Post
Excellent write-up and good pics too Dhanush!
It was also nice to see the MILAN Display photos.

PS: Is entry to the event restricted (can civilians attend the event)??
Entry is not restricted for MILAN. The display happens at an open area. However, if you want to be seated up close near the dignitaries, you need to get a pass. Passes are issued to civilians too. If you know someone amongst the organising team (like I did), passes are manageable with a little bit of effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sree83 View Post
Wow pictures are just outstanding buddy. Seriously pro stuff.
Thanks sree83

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
WOW!

The Shots of the runaway are spectacular and by far the best i have seen for sometime!

Thanks for sharing!

Stay Safe, Be Safe!

Cheers!
Thanks shashi63.
Actually, having glasses alone doesn't weed you out from going behind your ambition.
As per the latest rules, eye sight has to be 6/9 (or is it 6/12 ?), correctable to 6/6.
so, even if you have 6/9 and you can correct it with glasses to 6/6, you can still be a flyer
All the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_bharadwaj View Post
Great Clicks!!
Very nice write up.
Lucky you got there in time for MILAN

P.S: Time permitting, a Cruise would've probably bettered the already exciting trip i guess
Yeah. Cruise would've been apt. But after MILAN, I had just two days with me and it would be so unfair to Havelock to visit there for just a touch and back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Super!
the place, the photos, and the way you have made the posts!

some questions:
can you share the costs / tariff/etc ?
also do you get pure vegetarian food there ? if this is not avlbl, then sadly, i've to give a miss to this awesome place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Beautiful! Dhanush ji, please enlighten us with the details of the hotels, local travel options, food options (sea-food should be available a plenty) and an indicative cost of travel with the family!
Also, how many other islands did you visit? Snorkelling and related activities: did you opt for it?
There was a boat tragedy which happened a few weeks before I landed there and therefore all boat activities were suspended. So, no boating, no snorkelling, not even fun rides on boats too.
Only thing available which travelled through water was a junkaar ferry; which we took for our trip to Mount Harriette.

I stayed with my cousin. So no expense on accomodation.
However, the rates of accomodation otherwise is pretty steep. Do not have an exact idea, but still you can expect atleast 1.5 times what we expect in mainland.

Seafood and hotels are available aplenty at Port Blair vis-a-vis the size of the island. There are resorts mushrooming in and around many islands. Food should not be an issue I guess.

Everything in the islands is pretty much costlier than mainland.
Fruits and vegetables sells for twice the cost and therefore, the cost of dining out is also on the higher side. (One Kg apple- Rs 300)
This is attributed to the fact that each and everything for the islands comes from mainland. The island per se cannot sustain by itself for the population as there is not much of cultivation or farming.

There are no movie halls and so, DVDs (Rs 30- Rs 50) rushes in within weeks of the movie release in mainland.
If you are one of that kind who can feel 'freedom' in the bathroom only with a newspaper to munch in the morning; you better change your habits here. Cos the earliest one to read the paper can hope to get his hands on the paper only as late at 10 in the morning.
There are places where it reaches only after 2 or 3 PM also.

The only thing which is relatively cheap from mainland is petrol.
which is Rs 65 per litre as against Rs 74 or so in mainland.

Cost of travelling

I travelled from Kochi to Andamans in flight.
Kochi- Chennai and then Chennai to Andamans
Four sectors in total.
Tickets for four people--> 16 tickets.

Cost of air travel alone (for four persons) was Rs 92,000.
[close to Rs 6000 per ticket per sector]
It might come down in off season time.
Or you might consult a travel agent for offers or packages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Well put across. And it's such a lovely place, I'm sure you yourself were not satisfied, not being able to put in words which don't exist, but should be able to describe this place, no?
Didn't want to come back either time.
Very true mayankk. Words fail to find parallels to explain this beautiful place. Definitely I am going again. Next time, for atleast 10 days.

But before that, I need to scale Leh and Manali on my car. All in good time I suppose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
Nice pics and write-up. And you got the chance to see all those military stunts too. Looks like your friend was right in saying Andaman needs more days to be spent at. Thanks for sharing...
Thanks Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantu2001 View Post
Hi Dhanush,

Excellent pictures. It reminded me of my trip to Andamans last year for my First year wedding anniversary.
If you don't mind, I would like to share a picture of Chidiya Tapu during our visit.
Thanks for making me relive the moments.

Regards,
Anant
Thanks Anant. That was a very nice shot you shared
Chidiya Tapu is really out of the world.
And please do feel free to post pics. After all, this thread is supposed to serve as a guidance and reckoner for all who intend to visit these islands.

Last edited by dhanushmenon : 24th February 2014 at 10:49.
dhanushmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 12:27   #33
Senior - BHPian

Excellent pics Dhanush. Loved the one with the bench and the runway Would make an excellent spot for plane spotting.

Some of the bike stunts were surely jaw dropping!
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 19:15   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Excellent pics Dhanush. Loved the one with the bench and the runway Would make an excellent spot for plane spotting.

Some of the bike stunts were surely jaw dropping!

Thanks _ravan_.
Yeah. It definitely is a good place for plane spotting.

But the traffic at port Blair is rather low. However, the perspective is pretty nice.
Old 25th February 2014, 01:12   #35
BHPian

Sleepy, eyes are closing. Its past midnight. My IT colleagues have blocked T-Bhp site for good in office, else I could have postponed going through this TL for tomorrow.

Nonetheless, I was held back tonight by your amazing pics (I know your wife has clicked more pics than you). Andaman is an amazing place and it was captured in its true amazing sense by you. Congrats on a great TL again mate. Hopefully, I will also be there in the next TL/meet whatever happens...

The Army Tornadoes were truly amazing. The skill of the riders amazed me, so did the durability of the Royal Enfield. Fell in love with the Enfield even more (I was waiting for a reason to fall in love with it again).

The places are amazing, clean and heavenly. Would request you to upload the remaining snaps to complete your amazing TL. I went through all the pics, yet to read the whole write up, rated this thread 5 star already.

Cheers
voyageur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 06:12   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
Nonetheless, I was held back tonight by your amazing pics (I know your wife has clicked more pics than you).
Thanks voyageur.
However, the second part is so not true
I agree that my wife has taken some of the best snaps in the travelogue. But saying "most of the Pics" is so unfair.
(I hope that my wifeisn't reading this )

Quote:
The Army Tornadoes were truly amazing. The skill of the riders amazed me, so did the durability of the Royal Enfield. Fell in love with the Enfield even more (I was waiting for a reason to fall in love with it again).
Do you need reasons to fall in love with it?
I thought you already were head long crazy about the bullet and already married into it.

Quote:
The places are amazing, clean and heavenly. Would request you to upload the remaining snaps to complete your amazing TL. I went through all the pics, yet to read the whole write up, rated this thread 5 star already.

Cheers
Thanks for the 5 stars buddy.
Shall upload the remaining pics soon.
The doubt in my mind is about the pics of Cellular jail.
The pics wouldn't solve its purpose without an apt narration of the story and its importance. And, I for one, am not sure about my writing skills to do justice to it

Last edited by dhanushmenon : 25th February 2014 at 06:14.
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 08:15   #37
Team-BHP Support

Beautifully captured Dhanush. Andaman is an awesome place to spend a week. With the right combination of weather, luxury and time, its one of the best beach vacations we can have in India.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 08:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

Amazing photos dhanush. Andamans look amazing through your lenses. And the write up is crisp too. Thanks for sharing with us.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 08:37   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Beautifully captured Dhanush. Andaman is an awesome place to spend a week. With the right combination of weather, luxury and time, its one of the best beach vacations we can have in India.
True ampere.
Another great beach vacation would be Lakshadweep.
I am looking forward to visiting there sometime soon.
Only that fortune should favour me

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Amazing photos dhanush. Andamans look amazing through your lenses. And the write up is crisp too. Thanks for sharing with us.
Thanks deetjohn.
Old 25th February 2014, 12:13   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Very nice log and excellent pictures Dhanush. Right from the pictures of the regiments to the beaches. Great place the Andaman is. I remember how a friend of mine described it and brought tonnes of beautiful photographs of the place.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 13:41   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Mount Harriet

Mount Harriet

Mount Harriet is the third highest peak in the Andaman and Nicobar archipelago. It is named after Harriet Tytler, the second wife of Robert Christopher Tytler, a British soldier, naturalist and photographer.

The island houses The Mount Harriet Island National Park which was carved out of a Reserved Forest in Nov 1996.

The present area of the park 46.62sq km and is proposal to increase the area by 25.55sq km by including Mount Harriet peak and other nearby areas.
Conducted tours to Mt. Harriet are available from Andaman Teal House.

Andamans: Pristine Nature in all its glory-1.jpg

The entire National park forms a major chunk of the hill ranges in the eastern part of south Andaman islands.The general elevation of the tract varies from sea level to 459 meters.
Some peaks are Mt.Koyob(459 m), Mt.Hext (425m),Mt.Harriet (422m),Mt Goodrige(376m),and Mt.Carpeter(346m).

Mt Harriet is accessible by road (40 Kms by road from the city) or by a ferry (15 Mins from Bamboo Flat, Chatham).
Since all boat rides were suspended during the time of my visit, this ferry service was the only ride which we took through water.

The drive to the peak is just average, though it takes you through thick vegetation and paths over hung by huge trees and barks.

Andamans: Pristine Nature in all its glory-3.jpg

Enroute, we stopped over at a place which over looked the North Bay and clicked some snaps.

Andamans: Pristine Nature in all its glory-5.jpg

Andamans: Pristine Nature in all its glory-7.jpg

North Bay light House

Andamans: Pristine Nature in all its glory-8.jpg

Andamans: Pristine Nature in all its glory-9.jpg

Andamans: Pristine Nature in all its glory-11.jpg

Chatham Light House

Andamans: Pristine Nature in all its glory-13.jpg

Andamans: Pristine Nature in all its glory-15.jpg

Nicobari Hut in the National Park

Andamans: Pristine Nature in all its glory-17.jpg

View from the view point.

Andamans: Pristine Nature in all its glory-19.jpg

"There is only one way in which I will come down from here....
And that will be my way!!!"

My son was at his naughty best. And wifey was left with but no option

Andamans: Pristine Nature in all its glory-21.jpg

On the way back, these caught my eye...

Andamans: Pristine Nature in all its glory-23.jpg

Andamans: Pristine Nature in all its glory-25.jpg

Andamans: Pristine Nature in all its glory-27.jpg

There was a nature trail trek of 2.5 Kms too from the park to the tip of a mountain. I wisely stayed away from it because I was sure that I would be carrying my two kids on shoulders by the time I returned.

There was jungle, there was a view point (not so exciting at that), there was a Nicobari hut, there was a nature trail trek and there was a little bit attractions here and there. However, it did not strike the right chord with me nor my wife.

Overall, Mt Harriet was not exciting as I would've liked it to be.
Or atleast, not upto what I had expected. I should admit that the name somehow gave me false expectations and enroute one person even went to the extend of saying:

"Mt Harriet is the Ooty of Andamans"

By the time I returned back, I knew for sure that the guy has never seen Ooty!!

Last edited by dhanushmenon : 25th February 2014 at 13:49.
dhanushmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 13:53   #42
BHPian

Beautiful pictures and a lovely family. Glad you enjoyed the trip. You were definitely brave taking the kids out there! I'm sure they had a blast.

Just curious, what camera did you use for the pics? They are very well composed and so that says a lot more about you than the camera!

It's a place I've always wanted to go and I'm sure a trip is imminent.
Old 26th February 2014, 15:40   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Beautiful pictures and a lovely family. Glad you enjoyed the trip. You were definitely brave taking the kids out there! I'm sure they had a blast.

Just curious, what camera did you use for the pics? They are very well composed and so that says a lot more about you than the camera!

It's a place I've always wanted to go and I'm sure a trip is imminent.

Thanks Mad Max.
Yes my kids definitely had a blast.

I used a Nikon P 510.
It's not an SLR or anything of the like.
And more credit should go to my wife for the clicks.
Old 27th February 2014, 00:23   #44
Senior - BHPian

Must say have seen this thread for quite a few time over again and every time I see it, this becomes a must go destination the next time over.

With such pristine waters it is surely a jewel in our country's crown. Loved the thread even more with such wonderful pics!
Old 27th February 2014, 09:28   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Must say have seen this thread for quite a few time over again and every time I see it, this becomes a must go destination the next time over.

With such pristine waters it is surely a jewel in our country's crown. Loved the thread even more with such wonderful pics!

Thanks a lot girishglg for your kind words.
It definitely is a place of astounding beauty. It also has great and credible history of Indian freedom struggle to back its cause.

The story of cellular jail at Andamans is yet to be updated on this thread.
Shall do it today itself if time permits

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks