Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2014, 18:27   #31
BHPian

Re: Driving through Heavenly New Zealand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASMEET MATTOO View Post
Nice travelogue and some amazing pictures there man! This really looks like a heaven on earth. Amazingly beautiful and clean!
Dear Jasmeet, thanks for the kind words. I was stunned for words, to be honest as well. The cleanliness is amazing. Some folks did attribute this to a lower population, but I felt the mindset of people was different too. Even at Picnic tables in the middle of nowhere, we saw folks pack their left overs into bags and take them away rather than leaving it. Roadside washrooms were clean, without any graffiti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Excellent update. Thread rated 5 stars!

Looking forward to more updates.

Thanks for the info on USD card, I will do the same.

PS: Booked my tickets today. Super excited
@Praful: Congrats on making the bookings. I will be updating shortly but I hit the daily pic upload cap. Are you planning to drive as well? Or are you being adventurous enough to take a campervan?
Old 24th June 2014, 18:34   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratik1992 View Post
Wow - the only word that came to my mind. The world is very big place indeed. Adding NZ to my To-Go list.
Wonderful pictures man. And I especially like that picnic table against that beautiful snow-clad mountain background. I got goosebumps just looking at that picture. Kudos dude. Looking forward to your next post
Sorry for the late reply. Well, just for you, i've got some more picnic tables in exotic places coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
Rated this thread 5 star for the beautiful pics and informative write up.

I really wish that I could visit NZ. I wonder what it would be like to live there. I know the place is less crowded, country side, with vast green landscapes, with amazing people.

Thanks for sharing. If at all I have any doubts, I will PM you.

Cheers
@Voyageur: Thanks for the vote of confidence. Its my first time and am super excited to see the reception to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Fantastic. Written in a very matter-of-fact way, and the pics and narration are excellent. This place is truly breathtaking.

Btw, what was the power rating of the Big Ford?
@aniket : it was 291 BHP, if i am not mistaken. That was huge the power I mean. I've never driven such a powerful car in my life and there were times I felt like a KING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
Beautiful pics and wonderful description, mesmerised with the jaw dropping views spread all over.

I am also planning to do a riding trip across New Zealand later this year (5th-15th, Oct), can't wait for the same
@Turbo: Great going. I met a couple who were doing a riding trip across NZ on a couple of BMW 1200's (If I am not mistaken). Am sure it'll be fun. It will also be fun to do a campervan trip.
premjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 18:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by premjit View Post
@Praful: Congrats on making the bookings. I will be updating shortly but I hit the daily pic upload cap. Are you planning to drive as well? Or are you being adventurous enough to take a campervan?
No problem, we are a patient lot. We can wait for a good set of pics

We have decided to ride.
Old 24th June 2014, 19:50   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply. Well, just for you, i've got some more picnic tables in exotic places coming.
Hahaha, no big deal. And I yes I am looking forward to those pics. I don't know something about that pic just struck me. It was just too beautiful. Hell I would like to build a house at that location, if I could !

Last edited by benbsb29 : 6th June 2017 at 18:10. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 24th June 2014, 20:49   #35
BHPian

Quote:

The driving regulations are pretty simple:

1. In order to hire a self drive car, an Indian DL is fine. They don't ask for any IDP etc. You need to submit a PP copy, Indian DL copy, Travel insurance paper as well as block some money on the Credit Card. It was around Rs 50000 for the Falcon XR6.
2. Driving in on the Indian side of the road, thanks to the Queen. Moreover, you don't have people jaywalking at will. On rural roads, animals cross from farm to farm and they have right of passage
3. Those going straight have right of way, and decent/ gracious driving is rewarded with a smile or a wave. In small town, there is a bell/ buzzer at the intersection which people can press when they want to cross the road. Do give them right of way and smile.
4. Speed limits are enforced strictly. I was given a ticket on the way from Qtn to Dunedin cos I was doing 117 Kph in a 100 Kph zone. However, the officer was kind enough to let me go since he saw I am from India and on a road trip, but not before giving us a small lecture over a cup of coffee at a village cafe. I wish cops in India are like that.
Thanks!

A little but it's amazing how even the enforcement authorities make tourists feel welcome. Had the exact same experience driving in Europe. We were over the speed limit by a bit but the Traffic Cop saw were Indians driving and let us off with a safety guidance. Our cops seem to be making bakras of the tourists we receive.

Would appreciate if you can share that excel sheet.

And yes keep it coming!
vineshpikale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 07:48   #36
BHPian

Have a look at this link[ http://www.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/around-nz/visitors.html ], if you are planning to drive here. Recently tourists been in the spotlight for causing some fatal accidents.

it's a beautiful travelogue, Premjit. Glad you liked "Gods own country"
Matt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 13:22   #37
BHPian

Day 7 Contd and Day 8: In Queenstown and Explorations into the countryside

So after a hectic drive to Milford, we were back in Queenstown with some resting severely due. Spent the entire day milling about the apartment and making plans for the rest of the trip, we were sadly realizing that the end of the trip was near.

Queenstown in the Evening:

Like I said before, its easy to find a nice bar/ pub with a chilled out vibe and you are never too far away from nice company. The people are friendly and often come up and ask things about India, how exotic it was and how they dreamt of visiting our country. Apart from the bar pub scene, you can also visit the Skyline Restaurant via the Skyline Gondola, which provides a wonderful way to see the town from above and also have a lovely meal at the restaurant with its glass facade. There is a also an action packed luge course which enables you to scoot down the hill at insane speeds. Surely a lot of fun.

The Gondola plus dinner costs NZD 156 for a couple, which is a bit steep, however, the meal is wonderful. An all you can eat buffet with every sort of dish you can wish for. I believe there were tons of salads, soups, starters, main courses, steaks, desserts all topped off with unlimited NZ wine, so it isn't so bad a deal if you're a Non Veggie. Veggies, however, beware. There isn't much to choose from and you'd be advised to give this a pass.

Driving through Heavenly New Zealand!-dsc_1087.jpg

Driving through Heavenly New Zealand!-dsc_1093.jpg

Driving through Heavenly New Zealand!-dsc_1094.jpg

Driving through Heavenly New Zealand!-dsc_1095.jpg

Driving through Heavenly New Zealand!-dsc_1096.jpg

Driving through Heavenly New Zealand!-dsc_1100.jpg

The next day, we woke up late and it was time to explore the offbeat tracks in an around Queenstown. Here we chanced upon Glenorchy village, which was around 40 kms from Qtn and totally devoid of any tourists when we reached. The lake on this side is again beautiful and you can get some picture postcard photos from this end of the lake. Apart from this, there are the usual picnic tables and cafes from where you can buy stuff and spend an entire day lazing by the lake.

Driving through Heavenly New Zealand!-dsc_1061.jpg

Driving through Heavenly New Zealand!-dsc_1070.jpg

Driving through Heavenly New Zealand!-dsc_1075.jpg

Driving through Heavenly New Zealand!-dsc_1121.jpg

Driving through Heavenly New Zealand!-dsc_1122.jpg

Driving through Heavenly New Zealand!-dsc_1123.jpg

Driving through Heavenly New Zealand!-dsc_1132.jpg

Driving through Heavenly New Zealand!-dsc_1134.jpg

Driving through Heavenly New Zealand!-dsc_1147.jpg

Driving through Heavenly New Zealand!-dsc_1149.jpg

Driving through Heavenly New Zealand!-dsc_1151.jpg

Driving through Heavenly New Zealand!-dsc_1165.jpg

Driving through Heavenly New Zealand!-dsc_1172.jpg

These were the final pics of our Qtn leg and we were saddened to be heading off to Dunedin next day. If there is one place I would want to visit again, Qtn would be it. For the sheer beauty, activities, awesome food and drinks and the friendly people.

Dunedin leg follows soon...
premjit is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 14:12   #38
Senior - BHPian

This has got to be one of the best travelogues on the forum.

The detailed write-up with pics and suggestions are truly helpful for someone who is visiting this place.

Makes me want to pack my bags and go to this place with the wife.

I'm curious to know what kind of budget one should keep in mind for a 2 week trip to this place, excluding air fare. Would you mind sharing the details? If not on the public forum, please PM if you don't mind sharing this piece of info.

My wife has been asking me to plan a videsh trip for a year now, so that's why i'm asking.

Thanks again for sharing.
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 15:28   #39
BHPian

Picnic tables for me ! Anyway I will be bit partial here though. The snow clad mountain in the previous post was better (I love snow basically). Anyhow still wonderful pictures all around. That falcon under the tree and also the pier shot - just wonderful. You take some really good snaps mister.
Old 27th June 2014, 17:57   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Day 7 Contd and Day 8: In Queenstown and Explorations into the countryside

So after a hectic drive to Milford, we were back in Queenstown with some resting severely due. Spent the entire day milling about the apartment and making plans for the rest of the trip, we were sadly realizing that the end of the trip was near.
Wonderful pics and great narration Premjit. Finished it in one go. Refreshed my memories of New Zealand. My wife and I did North + South Island two weeks trip in November 2013 (second half). I guess our paths would have definitely crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
This has got to be one of the best travelogues on the forum.

I'm curious to know what kind of budget one should keep in mind for a 2 week trip to this place, excluding air fare. Would you mind sharing the details? If not on the public forum, please PM if you don't mind sharing this piece of info.
Unless you are on honeymoon you can do it in INR 5 Lacs (incl. Airfare) or INR 3.5 Lacs (excl. Airfare) with some careful planning. PM if you need details and/or hotel/car rental recommendations.
Disclaimer: This doesn't include shopping by the better half.

Last edited by TSIched'Out : 27th June 2014 at 18:24. Reason: Airfare details
TSIched'Out is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 18:26   #41
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Premjit on your marriage, trip to New Zealand. Your T log is sweet with good pictures and story. You have covered many places we did during our trip last year.

We were there in November 2013 too, almost 20 days, we must have crossed paths somewhere You were lucky to get only a warning, I got a ticket of 170 NZD on my Dunedin- Christchurch section for doing 120! My travelogue here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...d-end-end.html

Will have to get around to finishing it up, only a little is left now. Will update someday soon.

Thanks for sharing the wonderful story and pictures.

--Ramky
=====

Last edited by ramkya1 : 1st July 2014 at 18:33.
ramkya1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 22:25   #42
BHPian

Premjit,

Congratulations. Looks like you lived your dream. I too have one of mine, and I am giving it wings to fly during the last week of sept and early october.

Looking for pointers that would help. The costing details attachment link in the first page seems to be broken. Could you upload it, if you have that handy?

Thanks in advance
Old 11th November 2015, 14:41   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey thanks for an amazing write up and giving us a glimpse of NZ. Slightly disappointed to see that you haven't yet found the time to complete the travelogue. Its been more than a year man. Please finish it up. I am sending you a PM for a lot of tips and advice on planning my trip to NZ in Feb, 2016. Please complete this travelogue.
Old 5th June 2017, 16:15   #44

Quote:
Day 7: Queenstown to Milford Sound

Day 7 of our trip involved a 600 kms day trip to Milford Sound, which takes us right to the mouth of the sound with the Tasman Sea. The one way trip from Qtn to Milford is around 300 kms and can be done in around 4 hours at a sedate speed.
Hi,
I am planning to visit New Zealand in December.(Tickets booked). I am in two minds on Milford sound. Whether to drive down in the rental car or take a package trip in a bus. The four hour journey each way is putting me off. I am not used to driving long stretches. Please advise.
Old 22nd November 2017, 15:39   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naphill View Post
Hi,
I am planning to visit New Zealand in December.(Tickets booked). I am in two minds on Milford sound. Whether to drive down in the rental car or take a package trip in a bus. The four hour journey each way is putting me off. I am not used to driving long stretches. Please advise.
You must be all packed and ready by now, so hope this response reaches you in time! am planning a South Island roadtrip myself in December but one sector we may just park the car and take the coach is the Milford Sound day trip from Queenstown. Though expensive, I hear good things about it: the guide's commentary keeps it interesting and educational, there are panoramic bus options with glass roofs and, most importantly for me, more than one person told me that driving on that stretch makes you miss out on all the glorious vistas and reduces you to a spectator as those around you go "Wow! Look at that!"
Check viator for some coach/cruise options out of Queenstown. And maybe we will bump into each other too: keep an eye out for the Team BHP hoodie!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks