Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2014, 11:11   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Splendid South Africa

How beautiful.

I've always loved the wildlife and SA is right there amongst my top destinations to visit. Hopefully, I'll be able to check that one off the list sometime soon.

Thread rated 5 stars.
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 12:43   #32
Senior - BHPian

Trek..Man O Man.. you are the Man!

Great thread with details we can use. Been doing research on this circuit for some time for a self-drive Landy Holiday, but your option seems better! The details you have given on Krugar, cars and stay are wonderful, exactly what I've been looking for.

You were so lucky to have seen the animals at close quarters! Looks like you had a swell time. Thanks a ton for the T log and photos. Looking forward to more.

--Ramky
=====
Old 3rd July 2014, 16:04   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
How beautiful.

I've always loved the wildlife and SA is right there amongst my top destinations to visit. Hopefully, I'll be able to check that one off the list sometime soon.

Thread rated 5 stars.
Thanks for reading and rating it 5 stars. Appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Trek..Man O Man.. you are the Man!

Great thread with details we can use. Been doing research on this circuit for some time for a self-drive Landy Holiday, but your option seems better! The details you have given on Krugar, cars and stay are wonderful, exactly what I've been looking for.

You were so lucky to have seen the animals at close quarters! Looks like you had a swell time. Thanks a ton for the T log and photos. Looking forward to more.

--Ramky
=====
Thanks Ramky . You put a wide grin on my face on a boring afternoon work day! Thanks for the good words.

Yea luck surely played a big part in us getting to see so much of the wildlife. Hope you can make it to Kruger soon.
Old 2nd August 2017, 14:14   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
Imp Info:

Some tips:

Please always be cautious when spotting elephants. Maintain a safe distance and if the animal seems uncomfortable about your presence (signs of raised ears, fake charge), move on fast!

There was a lot more that I have experienced during this trip which I am unable to put in words like the starry African sky, the tranquility and silence of a jungle, the thrill of being so close to the wild, the seclusion and slightly scared feeling on the gravel roads of Kruger..

I am in love with Africa and I am hoping to go back to Kruger soon!

Thanks for reading!
We are planning a road trip from Johannesburg to cape town and back to Johannesburg next year. The rough itinerary is as follows:

From Johannesburg:
1. Kruger National Park
2. Eland’s river falls
3. Bourke’s luck potholes
4. Blyde river canyon
5. Mapangubwe baobab trees
6. Drakensberg

Johannesburg to Capetown
1. Camdeboo National Park
2. Stellenbosch

From Capetown:
1. Augrabies (900 kms)
2. Bulders beach
3. Richtersveld
4. Table mountain
5. Bokaap
6. Namaqualand
Capetown to Johannesburg
1. Can drive through garden route.

We checked air prices/accommodation prices/ car rental charges and everything fits the bill except for one major factor: SAFETY.

We are just back from a road trip of Iceland and what fascinated us most was the safety in that country. You could just keep your belongings in the car and even forget to lock it, nobody would steal anything. I do not expect the same in SA but have been seeing such horrid videos over the internet for the last 3 days that it really bothers me. Carjacking/ traffic signal burglary/ pickpockets seem common place along with gunfights in Johannesburg.

A quick search on the crime rate reflects that murder rates/100000 are >20 times than in India.
I also see contradicting stories in Tripadvisor where people had a wonderful experience. So my question is how safe is it to self drive the above route(not just Kruger) in South Africa.

Last edited by saion666 : 2nd August 2017 at 14:21.
Old 7th August 2017, 13:42   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
We are planning a road trip from Johannesburg to cape town and back to Johannesburg next year.

We checked air prices/accommodation prices/ car rental charges and everything fits the bill except for one major factor: SAFETY.

I do not expect the same in SA but have been seeing such horrid videos over the internet for the last 3 days that it really bothers me. Carjacking/ traffic signal burglary/ pickpockets seem common place along with gunfights in Johannesburg.

A quick search on the crime rate reflects that murder rates/100000 are >20 times than in India.
I also see contradicting stories in Tripadvisor where people had a wonderful experience. So my question is how safe is it to self drive the above route(not just Kruger) in South Africa.
Hi there......

I have traveled to South Africa extensively (around 8-9 times) for work over the past 3-4 years. Some of my trips can last for around a month - and I often use this opportunity to explore places in this beautiful country. I usually get a rental car from my company, and have driven quite a bit in South Africa including long distances (J'berg to Kruger and back). I usually stay in J'berg during my trips. My wife has also traveled with me on a couple of occasions, and we have driven on our own quite a bit in SA.

Yes, South Africa does have it's own share of crime, but a lot of it is exaggerated by the media - the same perception that any foreigner will have of our country!

I have been to most of the places on your itinerary, and these are generally popular tourist destinations - so you will not be in any isolated places.

As long as you follow the usual precautions of driving in any country (including ours) - such as driving during the day, making sure there is sufficient fuel in your vehicle, keeping your car windows up in traffic stops, staying in popular tourist hotels etc, you should be fine.

Pick up a local SIM card from the airport - CellC, MTN & Vodafone are the most popular ones - and get it activated from the airport itself. You will easily get reception at all the places you are planning to travel to - I was surprised to find excellent reception even inside 'Kruger park'!

You may have to be a little careful walking around on your own in J'berg - especially in some of the 'troubled areas'. Just ask any local person (or even your hotel folks) about safety of walking around in that area. Cape town is quite safe for walking around.

Don't forget to check out some of the wonderful restaurants in the country. Every place that I have been to had excellent food - and fairly in-expensive too.

If you are into wines, South Africa grows some excellent wines and Cape town is a great place to check out some fine South African wine and some excellent seafood.

best,
anandpkumar
anandpkumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 11:15   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpkumar View Post

Yes, South Africa does have it's own share of crime, but a lot of it is exaggerated by the media - the same perception that any foreigner will have of our country!
Thanks, even I felt the same , hence the query.
Thanks a lot for sharing your first hand experience. Will go ahead with the planning.
Old 8th August 2017, 12:31   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
Thanks a lot for sharing your first hand experience. Will go ahead with the planning.
Excellent! Do try and spend the most time in Cape town (you will absolutely love the place), followed by the Kruger area, and the least amount of time in J'berg. Also, try and cover Cape town in the last leg of your journey - J'berg will feel 'drab' after Cape Town - so it's best to sign off your trip from Cape Town - if you schedule permits it.

Here are a couple of teaser photographs in case you need any further motivation....

best,
anandpkumar
Attached Thumbnails
Splendid South Africa-img_20160618_131220.jpg  

Splendid South Africa-img_20160611_105904.jpg  

Splendid South Africa-img20160611wa000.jpg  

anandpkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 14:48   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpkumar View Post
Here are a couple of teaser photographs in case you need any further motivation....
All reservations done, going in July.

Have booked an i10 from Avis. How is Bidvest?
Old 29th June 2023, 22:22   #39
BHPian

Hello All,

I am planning a trip with family (H+W + 2 boys - 12 & 6 yrs.) to SA in October this year.
I need your advice on planning the route and itinerary.

Below is my plan:

1) Self-drive as much as possible
2) I am from Bangalore; plan to fly to Mumbai and take a flight to Johannesburg since it is the cheapest.
3) Total days for the trip ->10 -12 days
4) Need inputs on how many days should I stay in
Johannesburg 2 nights
Cape town 4 nights
Kruger national park - 3 nights
5) Safety tips - Is Johannesburg the only place I need to be careful?

Any other place I need to add to my itinerary? Which city should I pick up the car and where should I drop it off?

Appreciate your valuable inputs.

Thanks!
Anand
Old 30th June 2023, 19:31   #40
BHPian

Hi Anand,

In South Africa it is better to take your precautions everywhere. Johannesburg and Pretoria are probably the most crime prone in the country. Cape Town less so. Do not show off expensive things like jewelry, phones etc. You should be fine. But do not worry too much, try to mingle in.

You can pick up the car from pretty much any city and drop off at the airport and pick up another one at the next destination. Apart from Avis, you can also rent from Europcar. You might find better rates.

While in Cape Town do the wine route and the garden route. While in Johannesburg go to the Lion and Rhino park. Also go to Drakensberg as a day trip. The province of Mpumalanga is beautiful, Bourke's Luck Potholes is a beautiful and unique gorge.
Garth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 10:45   #41
BHPian

This is an amazing travelog @trek. Totally enjoyed your itinerary and thoughtful tips. Masaai Mara is on the bucket list, I will now add Capetown and Kruger!
Old 1st July 2023, 11:56   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkumargb View Post
Hello All,

I am planning a trip with family (H+W + 2 boys - 12 & 6 yrs.) to SA in October this year.
I need your advice on planning the route and itinerary.

Cape town 4 nights
If your mojo is a bit adventurous type, then During your visit to Cape Town, try swimming with “White Sharks”. I’m sure you will have an adventure of lifetime watching oceans predators up close.

One of my friend did this in Cape Town and since then it has been on my bucket list too.

Cheers.
NomadSK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 20:52   #43
BHPian

Below is my itinerary, please advise if any changes are to be made:

Day 1

Land in Johannesburg, take a self-drive car.
Is self-driving a safe option?

Day 2

Explore Johannesburg

Places to see in Johannesburg:

Nelson Mandela square
Lion and safari park
Gold reef city amusement park
Apartheid museum
Mandela house

Any places that we need to delete or add to above list?

Day 3

Drive 600 kms to Kruger national park – Olifants rest camp (is this route safe for self-drive?)

Stay overnight.
Can I self-drive inside Kruger national park or is it better to take a guided safari?

Day 4

stay in Kruger national park – Olifants rest camp.
Stay overnight.

Day 5

Post breakfast drive back to Johannesburg. Stay overnight in Johannesburg.

Day 6

Drop the car and catch a flight to Cape town.
Stay overnight in cape town.

Day 7, 8, 9, 10

Pick up self-drive car and Explore cape town.

Places to visit:

Day 7 in Cape town

Cape town city tour

Table mountain

V & A water front

Castle of good hope

City hall

Bo kaap neighborhood

Day 8 in Cape town

Cape peninsula tour

Hout Bay

Cape of good hope

Boulders beach

Day 9 in Cape town:

Take a ferry to Robben island

Tour of townships

Day 10 in Cape town:

Spend the day at clifton or camps bay

sunset cruise from V A water front

Day 11 Fly Back to Bangalore

Want to drive through the Garden Route..... but not sure is it safe and where does that route head towards.

How is Draskensberg, Kwazulu-Natal? Should we include it in the itinerary?

Is South Africa safe for tourists...? Internet has mix reviews.
anandkumargb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 08:45   #44
BHPian

Planning a South Africa trip in December. Will take inputs from you since I intend to follow a similar itinerary as you. Have fun .
Old 4th September 2023, 19:06   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkumargb View Post
Day 1
Is self-driving a safe option?

Day 3

Drive 600 kms to Kruger national park – Olifants rest camp (is this route safe for self-drive?)

Stay overnight.
Can I self-drive inside Kruger national park or is it better to take a guided safari?
Is South Africa safe for tourists...? Internet has mix reviews.

Self Driving is safe and driving is a pleasure when compared to India. The expressways are 120 rated and the lane discipline makes it a pleasure to drive on. I drove around in a Toyota Urban Cruiser and a Ciaz and I felt the lack of power in the Urban Cruiser, particularly on overtakes and slopes.

You can add Panoramic route while driving from Jo'burg to Kruger. Follow Dullstroom, Lydenburg, Three Rondavel (along with the waterfalls on the way, if you are able to squeeze those in) and then you can stay at Hazyview. This way you'll save the cost of staying one additional night in Kruger & the day ticket.

If this is your first time in Kruger and you are keen on Big five and not the birds, I would suggest moving south of Kruger and targeting Lower Sabie/Skukuza or Satara at the max. The probability of sightings in general are higher there. I can share my research and routes if you are interested.

Please reserve the Kruger accommodations as soon as possible as those get booked a bit in advance.

For the second leg, if you are a city person, you can stay in Cape Town more. But I would highly recommend you land in Port Elizabeth and drive down to Cape Town from the garden route. You have a few days in hand and it would be absolutely smashing to drive there. I can share the routes and the drives which I followed and loved.

I don't think it would be possible to include Drakensberg/Natal in your itinerary. But you got a lot covered anyway.

The safety aspect is a bit broad to comment on. Follow the general safety guidelines of not roaming around in dark alleys, roads, not flashing valuables, not leaving stuff in your car and being a bit cautious overall. I did not find it as assuring as Bombay/Bangalore but I was a lot more cautious as I had camera gear with me. The downside was that I couldn't shoot more sunrises/sunsets from where I wanted.

I have put my brief itinerary here. I did not do all the things in there but had listed in there the possible activities from which you can pick and choose.

Here is the route that I took on Day 1 from Jo'burg to Hazyview.

I have also attached the Kruger maps that I followed. The maps have annotations around which are the preferred areas for wildlife. These have been assimilated from multiple Youtube videos and forums. I charted my driving routes based on these and the stay options that I got in Kruger.

Splendid South Africa-itinerary-snip.jpg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Annotated Kruger map.pdf (3.18 MB, 77 views)
File Type: pdf Annotated-kruger-park-map-pdf.pdf (1.94 MB, 59 views)

Last edited by Sheel : 5th September 2023 at 12:37. Reason: Please edit or multi-quote (QUOTE+) your replies instead of back to back posts. Thanks.
zurura023 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks