Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2014, 15:30   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-19.jpg

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-23.jpg

Hirni Falls, Near Ranchi

So, the itch had began to hit the roads again. Nothing as such as a long one, but a day's trip would just be fine for now and Arunabh (Handle name: //M) was quick enough to suggest a few routes around Ranchi.

What is funny is that Arunabh was back from a really long drive just a day before in his new City (over 6000 Kms), but for a true petrol head that he is, to ride, he was as enthusiastic as ever. In fact, the plan was finalized over e-mails when he was already driving extensively through the Indian coasts. Hats off!!

So, the plan was to ride to Hirni Falls on Sunday, about 80 kms from Ranchi. His good friend, Swapnil (a big time TBHP aspirant) would also be joining us. This makes us 3 riding an RE Classic 500 (Arunabh), Yamaha Fazer (Swapnil) and Honda CBF 125 (me). However, this was only the plan, confirmed by all 3 of us on the morning a day before.

Come Sunday morning 0600 AM and to start with, my bike’s rear tire had lost about 12 PSI of air pressure. Pulled out the compressor from my car and refilled air and made sure that there was no puncture. Next, Arunabh could not find his bike's insurance papers Thankfully, he called after a few minutes with the good news and that he was ready to start. Apparently, after his grand tour of North Sikkim, he had placed all papers in a file & since soon, he had to go for another drive in his car, he forgot about it conveniently…bade aaram se! (If I am sounding like Saif Ali Khan, let’s quickly move forward with the story)

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip.jpg

We had planned to meet at a common point, near a fuel bunk, where my frugal Honda and his guzzler Classic 500 were to be fueled up. Arunabh & I reached the spot almost exactly at the same time. However, the drama was not over yet.

Swapnil had overslept, ignoring & snoozing his alarms. And his phone was not reachable. Hence, we had no option but to move on without him. We soon hit the state highway. For disciplined riding, it is better not to be overtaking each other when riding together. Hence, with an eye contact, I was given a go ahead by Arunabh and I was leading. Made sure every few minutes in the rear view mirror that he is following. We did stop for taking pictures at a few places.

Now, after riding for about 40-45 kms together, just turned my eyes to the rear view mirror and Arunabh was not to be seen. Stopped my bike at a safe place and then I could see him approaching. He gave me the news that Swapnil is now out of his trance and had called up to check if we have really left without him! We called him back and told him to come to another popular tourist spot, Panchghagh, which was another 7-8 kms from where we were. We decided to wait until he shows up there and then we all move ahead together.

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-9.jpg

Panchaghagh, Another nice tourist destination.

Panchghagh, where we waited, is another very popular tourist destination for people in this region. About 52 Kms from Ranchi, it’s a nice, safe waterfall and hence a good destination for families with children to spend their Sundays. We utilized this time to munch some snacks and indulging over a discussion of Arunabh’s fascinating tour of Sikkim. As a mark of this feat, he still has the prayer flags tied on his bike which he got from Rumtek Monastery, Gangtok!

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-6.jpg

Arunabh's Classic 500 with Prayer Flags from his Sikkim Trip.

Swapnil made it in good time, he could have made it even quicker but we had asked him to take it easy since his bike is still running-in. Swapnil got his license to drive not much long ago, but after this trip, I can say that for someone as young as 19, he is a very matured and restraint rider. And not out of place to mention that he is an avid Team-BHP follower too.

So, after those customary handshakes & pats, we started our journey to Hirni falls, about 30 Kms from where we were. The road ahead has a lot of swooping corners and at times very narrow. The valley is covered with thick forests and we could occasionally see children and old women sitting on the road shoulders selling fresh unripened mangoes brought from forest trees. Sorry, no photographs of the valley roads as we felt that stopping on such narrow roads, which were mostly blind corners, would be unsafe. So, after clocking 78 kms on the odo, we reached our destination.

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-14.jpg

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-15.jpg

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-16.jpg

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-17.jpg

Hirni falls is a beautiful 121 ft. high waterfall covered with thick forests all around. However, not something unexpected, there was no water in the fall since it is peak summer. Though some water was there, but none falling through the rocks. But then we never expected it, so we were not disappointed. After spending some time, munching some chips and snacks and posing for a few photographs, we started our return journey. Stopped at Tajna Dhaba, some 50 kms from Hirni Falls (near River Tajna) and had a stomach full of delicious lunch. Just before reaching Ranchi city, we stopped, congratulated each other for the safe, nice & a very enjoyable ride and then dispersed. A Sunday well spent.

Just then I remembered that I am a family man too, and had promised wifey to take her to the International Trade Fair running in our city and today is the second last day of the fair. Reached home, took a quick shower and then somehow a nap took me over for the rest of the evening. For those wondering if we went to the trade fair… do you think that saying ‘no’ was an option?
Attached Thumbnails
Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-1.jpg  

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-2.jpg  

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-3.jpg  

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-4.jpg  

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-5.jpg  

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-7.jpg  

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-8.jpg  

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-10.jpg  

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-11.jpg  

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-12.jpg  

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-13.jpg  

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-18.jpg  

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-20.jpg  

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-21.jpg  

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-22.jpg  

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-24.jpg  

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-25.jpg  

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-26.jpg  

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-27.jpg  

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-28.jpg  

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-29.jpg  

Last edited by saket77 : 16th June 2014 at 15:48.
saket77 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 15:34   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi

Some random shots:

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-40.jpg
Swapnil proposing the trip to his bike?

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-30.jpg
Some covered sitting space for respite from the sun

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-31.jpg
My attempt at 'Bokeh'. Did not turn out too bad!

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-32.jpg

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-33.jpg
The beautiful landscape

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-34.jpg
All set to return!

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-35.jpg
Somewhere on the way back

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-37.jpg
The Lethal Combination!

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-38.jpg
Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-hirni-fallsbike-trip-39.jpg
Kind soul Arunabh; I posed for a picture on his bike!

Last edited by saket77 : 16th June 2014 at 15:57.
saket77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 16:42   #3
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow I did not knew this was coming. Very well written Sir.

It was a pleasure riding with you guys all day. Indeed a sunday well spent !!

There was no water in the waterfalls during our ride, but I would take this opportunity to post a few pictures that I have taken of the Hirni Waterfalls during multiple visits last year.

July 2013, during the monsoons

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-dsc04496.jpg

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-dsc04508.jpg

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-dsc04524.jpg

October 2013, during Dussehra

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-dsc09127.jpg

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-dsc09128.jpg

Motorcycle Trip to Hirni Falls, Ranchi-dsc09135.jpg
//M is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 16:46   #4
BHPian

Congrats on the nice trip Saket and Arunabh. Wonder why didn't you guys plan this up a week earlier when I too was in Ranchi. Anyways, at least we managed to catch up. It was very nice meeting you Saket and I mean it. Such a humble gentleman you are.
Sitting on that secluded bench under the tree of a moonlight night in Satellite colony, with your Zen in front, with conversations of life, music, photography, and automobiles, was a moment to cherish.

Cheers mate. God bless

Last edited by RevvMusic : 16th June 2014 at 16:48. Reason: Grammar check
RevvMusic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 16:49   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Wow I did not knew this was coming. Very well written Sir.

It was a pleasure riding with you guys all day. Indeed a sunday well spent !!

There was no water in the waterfalls during our ride, but I would take this opportunity to post a few pictures that I have taken of the Hirni Waterfalls during multiple visits last year.
Just what the doctor ordered! You have just made the thread more complete by adding these pictures which I could not.

I must say that it was one of the most enjoyable rides that I have had so far and so, the pleasure was all mine.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 17:03   #6
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevvMusic View Post
Congrats on the nice trip Saket and Arunabh. Wonder why didn't you guys plan this up a week earlier when I too was in Ranchi.
I wish I could meet you Sir. Actually I was in the middle of a roadtrip and I returned back to Ranchi only on Friday, the 13th.

There is always a next time and I would definitely love to meet you Sir, maybe someday in Bangalore so that I would be privileged to see your gleaming yellow beauty, the very gorgeous Canary Yellow Palio S10.
//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 17:14   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
I wish I could meet you Sir. Actually I was in the middle of a roadtrip and I returned back to Ranchi only on Friday, the 13th.

There is always a next time and I would definitely love to meet you Sir, maybe someday in Bangalore so that I would be privileged to see your gleaming yellow beauty, the very gorgeous Canary Yellow Palio S10.
I'm really looking up to the meet, sir. There shall be mutual exchange of experiences and stories from our travels in plentiful. A traveler surely knows more about the real side of life Please do let me know when you are here, and we shall catch up without fail.

Cheers

Last edited by RevvMusic : 16th June 2014 at 17:16.
RevvMusic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 17:16   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevvMusic View Post
Congrats on the nice trip Saket and Arunabh. Wonder why didn't you guys plan this up a week earlier when I too was in Ranchi. Anyways, at least we managed to catch up. It was very nice meeting you Saket and I mean it. Such a humble gentleman you are.
Sitting on that secluded bench under the tree of a moonlight night in Satellite colony, with your Zen in front, with conversations of life, music, photography, and automobiles, was a moment to cherish.

Cheers mate. God bless
Thanks a lot Shubho for your kind words! I would say that I was fortunate to meet you. More so, when you consider the beautiful, no...the brilliant pictures that you showed me. The place was indeed beautiful, but your photography was simply unparalleled.

Actually, as Arunabh said, he was in the middle of a trip and probably then there was no such plan. In fact, I was telling about you to Arunabh yesterday only. I hope that there comes a time when all 3 of us are in Ranchi and we will definitely plan a nice drive (or a ride) to some unexplored region near Ranchi.

Wish you luck for all your professional engagements that we discussed that day! I am sure, you will break the news soon on the forum too

Best Regards,
Saket
Old 4th March 2015, 17:46   #9
BHPian

It felt so bad when I read this thread and I was unable to reply anything because of not being a member. Finally, I'm a Team-BHPian now and can post in this thread.
This was a memorable trip for me. My first bike trip on my own bike that too with BHPians. Was so excited about the trip that I couldn't sleep early that night and as a result was unable to wake up on time the next day. That day, literally tears came in my eyes when I woke up late and thought I missed the ride. But as it's said- "if you want something very desperately, you achieve it". Managed to catch up with you guys after an hours or so. Thank you guys, you waited for me patiently till I reached there, means a lot to me. Thankful to //M that he invited me for the trip that day and I met Saket77, you're a gem of a person. You're always there when I need any kind of help.

Looking forward to meet RevvMusic someday when we both will be in Ranchi. It's always nice to meet a BHPian.
Swapnil_Alto is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks