Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2014, 08:20   #16
BHPian

Re: Spiti Splendour - Delhi to Spiti in an XUV500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
A very nice detailed travelogue and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
a) that smell seems definately to be the clutch because it took a beating as you were trying to move youre vehicle in first gear but in vain. I always try to stop before nalas, get out from my car and inspect them (to check whether they can cause any underbody damage and try to find the best way through) and then try to cross them with constant throttle input in first gear. but sometimes you do get stuck
b) Ive always found a tow rope to be quite helpful in such situations.

Thanks bullrun.

I followed the guidelines to check the nalla before crossing - in this case it was a must as a Ford Figo was stuck. I allowed 2 vehicles Tata Sumo to pass before I tried to cross my vehicle. I then followed the same path laid by the Sumo's but was unsuccessful.

Maybe as you said the tow rope could have been useful.

Awaiting response from experts & fellow tbhpians about Hi-Lift jack, its usability under such situations and availability to purchase in Delhi / online.
Old 27th July 2014, 10:23   #17
BHPian

Day - Date - Day - Distance covered - Places visited

Day 9: 10-Jul-14 - Thu - 604 - Reckong Peo to Delhi, back home

We got an early start from Hotel Shivling View, Reckong Peo at 6:00 am. The previous night I consulted the hotel manager about gate timing at Challung (the 22 Km detour from NH 22 towards Tapri). Wish we could avoid that 22 km tough detour but we had to accept it. One of his friends had photo of gate timings and was helpful for us to plan our start from Reckpong Peo early morning.

Spiti Splendour - Delhi to Spiti in an XUV500-img_2503.jpg

We reach Challung gate at 7:00am. This 22km detour was one of the toughest experiences as there were a number of vehicles coming from the opposite direction. Giving them a pass was a nightmare specially at 4 different places to give way to other vehicle and I had to literally corner our vehicle to the edge of the cliff which was dangerous & nightmarish (note we were not on the mountain side). We encountered a petrol tanker from the opposite side at one of the narrow hairpin bends. Well in advance we quickly retraced our vehicle to make way for the tanker. Unfortunately the tanker could not take a complete turn at the narrow bend and struggled for 15 min maneuvering at the edge. We were saying our prayers for the septuagenarian driver who finally made it out of the bend. We also faced similar kind of situation atleast twice wherein we had to reverse our vehicle with great care at the bend as it was narrow and constrictive. We later on realised that there was no gate timings that was strictly followed and hence the reason for such 2-way traffic.

We reached Tapri with a great sigh of relief and had a sumptuous breakfast of aloo parathas with chole and masala tea. After refueling our stomachs, my wifey subsequently supported me on my decision to give it a go to drive straight to Delhi. I think this breakfast really made a difference to my wife!

We drive though Akpa entering green kinnour. We kept saying bye bye to all the lovely picturesque spots where we had clicked photographs earlier. As we approached Rampur the tarmac roads started to appear, which was unseen in the Spiti & Kinnaur valley. While we passed through the temples, we thanked Taranda mata, Mahishasura Mardini mata, the mighty Abhayahasta hanuman and hatu mata for having protected us all along.

Our XUV wheels started to bounce in happiness and my wife was too happy to take on the steering upto Fagu, enabling me to take a power nap. This was a welcome change for me as I got a chance to relax and was helpful for this long drive to Delhi.

The clean & dust free environment along the Shimla route made us happy after we breathed in extra ounces of fresh oxygen as we missed it so much during the drive for the past one week in the muddy, high altitude terrain.

Spiti Splendour - Delhi to Spiti in an XUV500-img_2506.jpg

A couple of well groomed Yaks spotted between Fagu & Shimla. We realised we were approaching the crowded tourists spots enroute Shimla.

Spiti Splendour - Delhi to Spiti in an XUV500-img_2520.jpg

The so called tunnel at Shimla - started seeing traffic

Spiti Splendour - Delhi to Spiti in an XUV500-img_2539.jpg

My wife purchasing fruits at the Solan market.

Spiti Splendour - Delhi to Spiti in an XUV500-img_2543.jpg

As we climbed down the roads finally opened up to the plains, via the wonderful toll road (bypassing crowded roads in Kalka, Pinjore). We were finally able to use the cruise control on our XUV while my limbs relaxed.

We took at break at Haveli Ambala for an early dinner at 6:00pm, then refueled tank full, checked air pressure to realise the left front wheel air pressure was very low indicating a puncture. Not sure for how long I would have driven the vehicle in this condition, as 2 days my wife had noticed the slightly flat left front wheel, following which I used the tire inflator to fill air. Kudos to XUV to have withstood for so long without causing a tear or damage in the tyre. Inspite of this the vehicle did not wobble. We swapped the stepney with the punctured wheel. We decided to get the puncture fixed in Delhi as we wanted a mushroom puncture to be done rather than a simple quick fix (is normally available with the puncture shop) that the mechanic at petrol pump offered to do.

Spiti Splendour - Delhi to Spiti in an XUV500-img_2570.jpg

Spiti Splendour - Delhi to Spiti in an XUV500-img_2587.jpg

We drove down to Delhi with one stop over for a kadak dhaba chai to keep us awake for the late night drive.

We were more than too happy to reach Delhi well before midnight. The moment we got out of our AC car, the feeling of entering an oven made us feel the difference (from below 10 degC to 43 degC). We know it would take time to acclimatize back to this heat but happy to be back to home – “Sweet home”

We tanked God for this having provided us with this wonderful opportunity of being able to explore Himalayan terrains in Himachal Pradesh, all the more for having guarded us from all perils and given us strong shoulders and will to overcome minor difficulties that we encountered. Last but not the least our humble obeisance to the mighty Himalayas who protected & cradled us in his lap. We will never miss another opportunity that may come our way to revisit the place.

This travelogue is a very humble effort from my wife & me, towards bringing out the beauty, vastness and rich culture of our country to all of you. Our best wishes and prayers to all those who are planning on Spiti tour.

As a saying goes, indeed
“Difficult Roads Often Lead To Beautiful Destinations”
vittal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 01:41   #18
BHPian

Quote:

It was 7km to reach Hatu peak and we were told it would take half-an-hour to reach the place. We wonderded why 30 min for just 7km and later on realised the reason for the same.

It was an adventurous drive uphill to the peak, driving on 1st gear all along, 60 deg steep, garnish with loose gravel, as we had to drive a slightly broader than a trekking path, narrow hair pin bends, no side railings, extremely dangerous curves.

Kudos for the journey and for documenting your trip in the XUV. I live just 16km for Hatu Peak, drove to Kibber and Spiti in January but have refused to take the wheel to up to Hatu Peak, I have a trusty local driver and only use him to go up, even in my nimble and small Thar.

Its a scary ride up, each year a few vehicles manage to lose control and fall from that road. This May a brand new Pajero had fallen down was extracted a week later on the Hatu ascent, thankfully the occupants and the driver only got minor injuries.

Last edited by moralfibre : 29th July 2014 at 07:04. Reason: Fixing quote tag
Old 28th July 2014, 20:27   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittal View Post
We traveled from Delhi to Spiti from 2-Jul-14 to 12-Jul-2014.

Vittal .. Kudos on doing such treacherous itinerary!!
And a very informative and enjoyable travelogue ... lots of things to learn.
Old 28th July 2014, 22:20   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Vittal .. Kudos on doing such treacherous itinerary!!
And a very informative and enjoyable travelogue ... lots of things to learn.
Thanks Deepv

Glad that you like the Spiti travelogue and useful
Old 30th July 2014, 16:52   #21
BHPian

A brilliant presentation of pictuers and narration but, I am very dissappointed to know that the XUV struggled and could not make it through the water crossing.
Old 30th July 2014, 22:42   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_shimla View Post
A brilliant presentation of pictuers and narration but, I am very dissappointed to know that the XUV struggled and could not make it through the water crossing.
Thanks Amit and that you liked the travelogue.

Though I have traveled on road to various corners of India for years now, this is my first travelogue.

Probably I am more cautious at the water cross. Didnt have proper tools like shovel or Hi lift jack to give it a go rather than using the crude method used by the taxi driver.

Need to be better equipped in my next trip and also to Leh !
vittal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 09:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittal View Post
..We bought a shovel later on and wish I had a 48" Hi-Lift jack. Any idea if HiLift jack will be useful under the above situation and from where can I buy it in Delhi and also online. Tried few sites but came across foreign sites only.
That smell was surely coming from burnt clutch but unless you overdo it, once you let it cool for sometime, things will be more or less ok if the health of the clutch is good. Happened to me once when i had to reverse up a slope in a hairpin bend because of some traffic clearance.

Coming to hi-lift jack, in stuck situation in water with so many rocks underneath, i don't know how far it would be helpful. Also you would need a base along with the jack to place it properly. Best thing to do in this kind of situation is to use the tow rope and get your vehicle pulled out. Also it is better to have a proper underbody skid plate fabricated (if it is not there already) if you venture frequently to trips like this. Not to mention, nothing substitutes a 4x4.

You can source the jack from various people like 'rogeotech' (https://www.facebook.com/14586581884...levant_count=1), or 'swastikfabs' (https://www.facebook.com/swastikfabs/info). They are not based in Delhi but will ship it.

Last edited by Kandisa : 31st July 2014 at 09:49. Reason: addition of text
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 23:18   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
That smell was surely coming from burnt clutch but unless you overdo it, once you let it cool for sometime, things will be more or less ok if the health of the clutch is good. Happened to me once when i had to reverse up a slope in a hairpin bend because of some traffic clearance.

Coming to hi-lift jack, in stuck situation in water with so many rocks underneath, i don't know how far it would be helpful. Also you would need a base along with the jack to place it properly. Best thing to do in this kind of situation is to use the tow rope and get your vehicle pulled out. Also it is better to have a proper underbody skid plate fabricated (if it is not there already) if you venture frequently to trips like this. Not to mention, nothing substitutes a 4x4.

You can source the jack from various people like 'rogeotech' (https://www.facebook.com/14586581884...levant_count=1), or 'swastikfabs' (https://www.facebook.com/swastikfabs/info). They are not based in Delhi but will ship it.
Thanks for the tips and the links. I will check them.
Old 7th August 2014, 23:15   #25

Hi Vittal,

I enjoyed reading your travelogue. Thanks for sharing. One question, Is your XUV 5oo W8 FWD or AWD?
Old 8th August 2014, 01:23   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ummieg View Post
Hi Vittal,

I enjoyed reading your travelogue. Thanks for sharing. One question, Is your XUV 5oo W8 FWD or AWD?

Thanks,

I have W6 version
Old 8th August 2014, 15:35   #27

That's a beautiful travelogue you've shared with us Sir!
Totally admire your attitude towards driving and being a citizen.

Few off topic queries though,
What would be your opinion towards Tata Storme? Do you think it would be able to take the same abuse your XUV has taken during the trip? Will it suffice for a period? You've a W8 variant, i guess. Would also like to hear your opinion towards W6 variant.

Thanks.
Old 8th August 2014, 22:04   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold_heart007 View Post
That's a beautiful travelogue you've shared with us Sir!
Totally admire your attitude towards driving and being a citizen.

Few off topic queries though,
What would be your opinion towards Tata Storme? Do you think it would be able to take the same abuse your XUV has taken during the trip? Will it suffice for a period? You've a W8 variant, i guess. Would also like to hear your opinion towards W6 variant.

Thanks.
Glad that you like the travelogue. Thanks for your note.

Tata Storme is also a good vehicle. Both XUV and Storme & few other vehicles falls in the similar category of MUVs and are good for these treacherous roads (e.g. Leh, Spiti etc.).

I would say its more of an individual preference. I am no expert but there are few in this forum (including moderators) who can clarify your doubts. Few of my office colleagues own Tata Storme and are happy with the same.

I have W6 variant and chose this over W8 due to electronics / niggles. But W8 has some excellent features which could ease in hill driving. Personally am happy with XUV - W6 variant & about to complete a year of ownership!
Old 8th August 2014, 22:37   #29
BHPian

Respect and an honest bow down to you for taking up this lovely & most picturesque journey .
Great attitude and the willingness to take it forward was awesomely displayed I must say by both you. Lovely narration and very nice clicks.

Thank you very much for sharing.

cheers,
pdma.
Old 13th August 2014, 20:49   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Respect and an honest bow down to you for taking up this lovely & most picturesque journey .
Great attitude and the willingness to take it forward was awesomely displayed I must say by both you. Lovely narration and very nice clicks.

Thank you very much for sharing.

cheers,
pdma.

Thank you very much for your encouraging comments pdma.

Definitely the trip takes lots of alertness, plan & preparedness.

Happy that you enjoyed the travelogue.
vittal is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks