Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2014, 14:11   #16
BHPian

Re: The 5-year itch: Chennai to Jaipur in a BMW 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishigollakota View Post
Hi Rahul_66, yes Google maps will show you the route via Hyderabad and nagpur. However the Highway just doesn't exist. For example from Nagpur to Adilabad there is virtually no road and we took a good 6 hours to cover the 170 KM distance. Likewise there are lots of stretches where there is literally no road. Likewise gwalior to jhansi virtually no road. We took this road on the way back this time.
While the NHDP map shows the above stretches as complete, the reality is they have not even started work on these stretches. This is part of the NORTH SOUTH CORRIDOR. The road that you read about in THE FIVE YEAR ITCH is part of the GOLDEN QUADRILATERAL.

Would recommend the Golden QUADRILATERAL even though it is 300 KM longer. You will at least enjoy the drive. All the best with your drive.
Thanks for the inputs, so basically the route will be chennai-bangalore-davangere-hubli-pune-mumbai-vadodara-ahmedabad-udaipur-jaipur? Any points to remember? Any diversions to avoid any bad routes? Im planning to take my 5 series for the trip, just hope we dont face any issues, btw did you face any issues with the 3 series on the return?
Old 27th October 2014, 17:01   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_66 View Post
Thanks for the inputs, so basically the route will be chennai-bangalore-davangere-hubli-pune-mumbai-vadodara-ahmedabad-udaipur-jaipur? Any points to remember? Any diversions to avoid any bad routes? Im planning to take my 5 series for the trip, just hope we dont face any issues, btw did you face any issues with the 3 series on the return?
Update from my 23 Sept- 4th Oct Drive:
  • The only bad section (If I can refer that as Bad) would be those diversions between Satara and Pune due to 6 lane work. Apart from this, the roads after Himmatnagar and Udaipur do have their own set of Potholes and speedbreakers as well and better do this section under natural light for more visibility
  • On the Sardar Patel Ring road (Ahmedabad), when you buy the toll tickets, do make sure you read about the fact that few of them can be used at the next gate (and not pay again). Usually, you will see boards right at the booth that "This Ticket is Valid for XXX also"
  • After Udaipur towards Chittorgarh, be sure to keep tab on the GPS as well as road signs to take the right ramp that leads towards Bhilwara (and Nasirabad). Other one leads to Kota.
  • Stick to Thane Belapur Road - Airoli - EEH - Thane - Ghodbunder road option to bypass Mumbai. Works best!
  • If you are OK for a bit of detour, can take Ahmedabad-Kalol-Mehsana-Palanpur-Abu Road-Udaipur instead of the Himmatnagar option to enjoy one of the most clean, empty, fast and serene dual carriageway highways in your 5 series

Some eye candy for you of the same road:
    The 5-year itch: Chennai to Jaipur in a BMW 320D-cc-62.jpg
  • Lastly, enjoy the GVK Expressway (Kishangarh-Jaipur) under Projectors of your bimmer as this is when you will have least miscellaneous traffic and the most disciplined truck traffic who would behave like your trained dog with the flash of lights

Last edited by paragsachania : 27th October 2014 at 17:04.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 18:28   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishigollakota View Post
Hi Rahul_66, yes Google maps will show you the route via Hyderabad and nagpur. However the Highway just doesn't exist. For example from Nagpur to Adilabad there is virtually no road and we took a good 6 hours to cover the 170 KM distance. Likewise there are lots of stretches where there is literally no road. Likewise gwalior to jhansi virtually no road. We took this road on the way back this time.
I have done Hyderabad -- New Delhi Last month and the route that I have taken is Hyderabad -- Adilabad -- Hinganghat -- Butibori -- Mantek -- Soeni -- Sagar -- Jhansi -- Gwalior -- Agra -- Delhi

Adilabad -- Hinganghat -- Route is bad and will take 3-4 hours to transverse between Adilabad and Hinganghat

Mantek -- Seoni -- Around 55 kms is patchy but drivable without any issues.

Seoni -- Narsingpur -- Sagar -- Jhansi -- Beautiful roads

Jhansi -- Gwalior -- 4 Laning in progress at some stretches however the roads are good and majority to the section can be done without any issues.

Gwalior -- Dholpur -- Good, however the chambal bridge near RJ border is patchy.

You can do Hyd -- Delhi without any major issues. Hope this helps
Cyberdoctorind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 20:07   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_66 View Post

Yes that would be the route.. Added inputs from PARAGSACHANIA are bang on. But the route overall is a pleasure to drive.
Yes did the route via jhansi- Gwalior- narsingpur-adilabad- Hyderabad on the way back. Had a horrid time. Was really worried about damage to the 320D. While we got back without any damage to the car, we were extremely careful while driving on this route. Wouldn't recommend this route with the 5 series.
Old 27th October 2014, 20:56   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

If you take the regular route of Bangalore-Pune-Thane-Ahmedabad-Himmatnagar-Udaipur-Chittorgarh-Kishangarh-Jaipur, here is what you will be spending on Tolls (In particular order, starting from NICE) all the way till you exit GVK Expressway:

155+20+35+55+55+80+95+70+65+50+15+35+70+70+55+80+1 95+30+30+20+64+58+64+56+70+85+90+26+40+35+30+60+80 +40+75+90+95 = 2338/-

If you take the Ahmedabad Mehsana Abu Road option to reach Udaipur, you will spend 2307 on toll.

I would suggest taking both the routes either for your onward or return journey as it may suit you. You certainly won't regret the Abu Road experience for sure.

Last edited by paragsachania : 27th October 2014 at 20:57.
Old 27th October 2014, 21:50   #21
BHPian

Thanks guys, message received loud n clear, will stick to the GQ while coming and going. @parag- I was just going through your thread and man I just have 1 word for you- RESPECT. I mean doing 6k kms in a wagonR in the summer must be quite an experience the entire drive.
rahul_66 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 23:28   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
... Am really amazed that you decided to take the 320D on such a long trip. Ever since my car suffered 2 broken alloys the last time Dad took it To Jaipur, I have been in this fear that I cannot enjoy the car on highways due to these menacing potholes or speed breakers which come out of nowhere..
My steed for long trips, an E90 / 4.5 years / 75k on the odometer. Sheer Joy .

With BMW's BSI Ultimate, Secure insurance and RSA under my belt, drives have been fun and care free with peace of mind.

Just one bad episode and you should not be depriving yourself. Hit the tarmac once again, mate

Quote:
...The back seat of the BMW is not a very comfortable place to be in specially after the Safari. Also do you have a space saver in your car?
The F30 has a softer suspension than the E90. In the 4.5 years, never felt the need for a space saver. Had my fair share of punctures and RFTs lived up to its reputation.

Quote:
Lastly I am really surprised to hear that you also suffered from the windshield damage by a pebble. Is there a quality issue with the 320D windshield or what.
Nope. just bad luck
RSUDARSANAN is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks