Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2016, 11:29   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Wanderlust Traveller: Gandikota & Belum. The road less travelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravivarmav View Post
I mean, is the administration at Gandikota supportive to allow us do such activities?..
Thanks.
I am not sure if anyone has tried camping around Gandikota. While I was checking for details online before my travel, I was able to find only very few trip logs. Almost all the logs which I came across had mentioned about doing the trip as a one day trip by staying at any of the nearby towns.

The area around Gandikota has a small settlement, may be around 50 houses inside the fort area. Else the entire area is just shrub forest, you can see the same from my pics. Out of the whole area inside the fort, I guess it will be possible to set tent towards the temple area (Location)

Now on searching online, I am finding query in Tripadvisor about setting up tents Link . It mentions about getting permission from ASI, however there is no office or ASI incharge at Gandikota, hence that too is a dead end.

Anyways, I guess if inside fort area you can check with any of the villagers about any restrictions. However from the non touristy setup of the place, I do not think there will be any issues in setting up tent.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2017, 17:19   #47
Senior - BHPian

What is the current road condition between Anantapur and Belum and between Belum and Gandikota? I presume that this is the fastest route from Bangalore to Belum and Gandikota
Old 13th January 2017, 21:13   #48
BHPian

Suhas, you were my inspiration to visit this place. Been there on 10th Dec'16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
What is the current road condition between Anantapur and Belum and between Belum and Gandikota? I presume that this is the fastest route from Bangalore to Belum and Gandikota
I took this route -> https://goo.gl/maps/w7NAnJupw742 and the road condition is generally good.
Till Anantpur - 4Lane (I stayed in Anantapur at Hotel Masineni Grand)
After 3-4km from Anantapur till Tadipadri road is again excellent 4lane
From Tadipadri - Kolimigundla road is single lane but in excellent condition
From there to Belum (hardly 2-3km) is little rough.
Kolimigundla - Jammalamadugu is excellent single lane road
Jammalamadugu to Gandikota is narrow but easily drivable

Gandikota to Pulivendula - Road work happening in between, apart from this all good. After Kadiri for few km, there will be sudden potholes but not an issue at all.

Please note that once you cross Anantapur there will be many Petrol pumps but none of them were accepting card.

For food you can depend only the Harita outlet both the places.

Between Kolimigundla - Jammalamadugu , there is a reservoir area. I didn't try to visit this place in the interest of time.

Here view at Gandikota
Wanderlust Traveller: Gandikota & Belum. The road less travelled-img_5146.jpg
RajeshK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 22:03   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Thanks.
I am not sure if anyone has tried camping around Gandikota. While I was checking for details online before my travel, I was able to find only very few trip logs. Almost all the logs which I came across had mentioned about doing the trip as a one day trip by staying at any of the nearby towns.
Hey Suhas, one of my friend actually managed to climbed down the gorge and camp next to river. One needs to be extremely adventurous and have good gear in order to do the same.

Check out the below link of the blog
https://kavyaguddehithulu.wordpress....-of-gandikota/

Wanderlust Traveller: Gandikota & Belum. The road less travelled-a1.jpg
Wanderlust Traveller: Gandikota & Belum. The road less travelled-a2.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 28th December 2017 at 07:58. Reason: Uploading images as attachments
vin_b is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 14:59   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
I took this route -> https://goo.gl/maps/w7NAnJupw742 and the road condition is generally good.
Till Anantpur - 4Lane (I stayed in Anantapur at Hotel Masineni Grand)
After 3-4km from Anantapur till Tadipadri road is again excellent 4lane
Thanks for a great description of the route. We'll probably take the same. However, if we are not staying at Anantapur, would taking a right at Rapthadu skirting JNTech Univ to meet the Tadipadri road be better to escape town traffic? Or the 4 lane from Rapthadu to Anantapur more than makes up for it?
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 21:05   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for a great description of the route. We'll probably take the same. However, if we are not staying at Anantapur, would taking a right at Rapthadu skirting JNTech Univ to meet the Tadipadri road be better to escape town traffic? Or the 4 lane from Rapthadu to Anantapur more than makes up for it?

You can even take Dharmavaram - Tadipadri route...it is shortest and I heard that road is relaid recently...!
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 14:40   #52
BHPian

My friends and I are going on a 5 day trip on March 6th, from Bangalore to Gandikota, Nellore, Pondichery, Picharavaram and return to Bangalore. The route we have in mind is this.

http://bit.ly/2mhPzv1

Day 1
Gandikota and belum caves. Stay at Gandikota.
Day 2
To Nellore. Stay at Nellore.
Day 3
Drive to Club Mahindra Pondichery from Nellore.

Day 4
Drive from Club Mahindra Pondicheryto Pichavaram and back to club Mahindra.
Day 5.
Pondichery to Bangalore.
I have the following queries.
1. Is the route suggested in Google maps the best route.
2. Any particular road condition I should be worried about?
3. Restaurant for lunch suggestions, for Bangalore to Gandikota and Gandikota to Nellore.
4. Pondichery to Bangalore route? Which is better beween Pondichery, Tindivanam, Vandavasi, Cheyyar, Arcot, Vellore, Bangalore or Thiruvannamali, Chengam route.
Thanks in advance.
Narayan

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd March 2017 at 16:24. Reason: Shortening link :)
iamnarayang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 16:48   #53
BHPian

Hi Folks!

We a group of RE Bikers are doing this Trip this weekend from Bangalore.

Belum Caves, and Lepakshi Temple we have in mind, before reaching Gandikota for our stay.
We plan to tent in the Harita premises for the night, see the sunrise, explore the Fort and Gorge in the morning, and leave for Bangalore.

Wish us Luck!
yogesa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 11:53   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Just seeing both your posts now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
My friends and I are going on a 5 day trip on March 6th, from Bangalore to Gandikota, Nellore, Pondichery,
Guess you would have made the trip by now, combining Gandikota & Pondi for a trip starting from Bangalore is interesting. Any particular reason for taking this as one single trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesa View Post
Hi Folks!
We a group of RE Bikers are doing this Trip this weekend from Bangalore.
Were you allowed to tent in hotel campus? Though they have enough space, that is usually not something which hotel guys allow elsewhere.
Old 4th July 2017, 12:15   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Just seeing both your posts now.

Guess you would have made the trip by now, combining Gandikota & Pondi for a trip starting from Bangalore is interesting. Any particular reason for taking this as one single trip?

Were you allowed to tent in hotel campus? Though they have enough space, that is usually not something which hotel guys allow elsewhere.
My friends and I just wanted to get out of Bangalore and drive for 5 days. The whole idea of a trip started with going to Gandikota, as it is known as the Grand Canyon of India. After Gandikota (and belum caves), we could go either towards east or west for the return journey, as we didn't want to retrace the same route back to Bangalore. We chose east and did Nellore and Pondi. No other reason.

Haritha hotel in Gandikota has large open field, which is ideal for camping. But I don't know if they would allow camping.

Last edited by iamnarayang : 4th July 2017 at 12:19.
iamnarayang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 16:07   #56
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However, if we are not staying at Anantapur, would taking a right at Rapthadu skirting JNTech Univ to meet the Tadipadri road be better to escape town traffic?
Did you do this trip to Belum ? What were your onward and return routes and how were the road conditions ?
Old 26th December 2017, 15:10   #57
Senior - BHPian

We did not go to Belum but only to Gandikota. The roads were good throughout except for some new road construction activity between Muddanur and Jammalamadugu. This is the route we took https://goo.gl/maps/2EisbmtSxPz
goandude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 23:12   #58
BHPian

Just fyi that the access to Belum is restricted to about less than a km as they had a lot od waterlogging inside the caves due to the heavy rains. It will take till March 2018 to clear the complete 3 km or so access.
indianrunner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 18:08   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post
Just fyi that the access to Belum is restricted to about less than a km as they had a lot od waterlogging inside the caves due to the heavy rains. It will take till March 2018 to clear the complete 3 km or so access.
Thanks a lots Indianrunner. My friend and I were planning to visit belum early January but I guess we'll refrain from it now.
Old 27th December 2017, 19:25   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post
Thanks. So I guess we can complete Belum Caves in less than an hour? We are planning to do Gandikota and Belum this Friday and Saturday. We've booked a room in Proddatur as Haritha was sold out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks