Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2014, 17:58   #16
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Wanderlust Traveller: Chasing the rain - Agumbe - Thirthahalli - Jog Falls

Nice travelogue Suhas! Glad to see the red XUV shots and the unmistakable silver reflection in the through-the-windshied shots

Jog-falls has been on the cards for multiple years now. Would 2nd Oct be too late for a quick dash to Jog falls? Don't want to travel that far just to see a trickle. Any recommended stay options nearby?
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 18:15   #17
BHPian

Great details and nice pics mpksuhas. I am sure you guys had a wonderful time.

Was planning for one such trip towards Hoaranadu for a very long time which hasn't happened yet and this reminds me sorely of what I've missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
A must visit place during the monsoons. Journey being more beautiful than the destinations!!
+1 Indeed !
void_001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 19:54   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I visited these places during December end. It was not the monsoon season, but still the beauty of these places was no less. We did Kalasa/Horanadu/Udupi/Kollur/Udupi/Thirthahalli/Shimoga.
One place which you could have added is Vani Vilas sagar on the way back.
Thanks Ampere.

I am yet to travel towards Kalasa & Horanadu. Need to plan for a Chikmangalur trip along with that later sometime.

Yes Vani Vilas Sagar also could have been included, it was missed out last year when we traveled to Hampi also. Somehow we got late on last day while returning to Bangalore, else could have added either Vani Vilas Sagar or Pushkarani.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrive View Post
All the photographs are cool, and you did it at the right time during monsoons.
Thanks Ddrive.
Yes, guess we were lucky that the timings were good. More rains and it would have been tough to see around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Journey being more beautiful than the destinations!!
Thanks.
I guess journeys are always beautiful if you are driving.

Exception being you driving back to city at end of a long weekend

Cant term them as tours, however two trips coming up in next two weeks. One to Coorg and another to Cochin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
More reasons to visit the same places another time Also:
-There is an Indian Oil bunk about 50m away from the road on right side after Sagar just before forest section begins (so it is at end of forest section when coming from Honnavara side and on the left side 50m away from road).
-There was a Jungle Lodges property just opposite the Sakre Byle Elephant camp, looked interesting but did not go inside to look at the place.
Thanks.

Yes, we too saw that IOC bunk. However I guess it was closed / renovated. Saw the petrol pump covered with some cloth, not sure if this was due to rain though.

I thought of filling up from the HP bunk I mentioned earlier, however that was closed on occasaion of Ganesha Chaturdi.

The home stay owner at Thirthahalli owns an HP bunk on NH 13 inside Thirthahalli town. I have read positive review about a TBHPian who filled from there few years back .

However I did not fill from either of these places, instead filled on way back to Bangalore from Sira BP COCO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki@Hyderabad View Post
I think this is the first time I've seen my native on T-BHP and boy! Am I happy!? A few more places you could visit around Channagiri:
Thanks Vikki for the place details. Hope to visit the same sometime in future.
We had planned to visit Pushkarani too, however on checking with locals near Channagiri fort was not able to get direction to the place. Since it was getting late and also we were low on fuel dropped the plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeplessdriver View Post
Lures me to take the route yet again.
Thanks Sleeplessdriver.

If not for the views, visit is worth for driving through the twisty roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_hc View Post
I just relived the most of these placed I visited 2 years back.
Thanks Anand HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Glad to see the red XUV shots and the unmistakable silver reflection in the through-the-windshied shots

Jog-falls has been on the cards for multiple years now. Would 2nd Oct be too late for a quick dash to Jog falls? Don't want to travel that far just to see a trickle. Any recommended stay options nearby?
Thanks SDP.
Yes, the silver reflection is bit irritating. Later on I may opt for masking the same with vinyl tape like J. Ravi did.

You can plan for Jog now, infact yestrday there were pics in news paper with water flow more than what we saw last week. You can see the pic here.

For stay near Jog you can check at the newly opened Jungle lodges property. Though I have not stayed at this property, other JLR properties I have stayed at were absolutely beautiful.

This can be booked online too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by void_001 View Post
Was planning for one such trip towards Hoaranadu for a very long time which hasn't happened yet and this reminds me sorely of what I've missed.
Thanks Void.
Even we were planning since a long time. Do plan your trip during monsoon season.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 10th September 2014 at 19:57.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 19:58   #19
BHPian

Nice travelogue, brings back the memories of my trip. As mentioned in your ownership thread, Thirthahalli-Agumbe was the first trip for my XUV. Some pictures from my side.

Bheemankatte
Wanderlust Traveller: Chasing the rain - Agumbe - Thirthahalli - Jog Falls-dsc_5995.jpg

View from Kundadri betta
Wanderlust Traveller: Chasing the rain - Agumbe - Thirthahalli - Jog Falls-dsc_6039.jpg

Resting place of Kuvempu
Wanderlust Traveller: Chasing the rain - Agumbe - Thirthahalli - Jog Falls-dsc_6111.jpg

Thirthahalli - Shimoga route
Wanderlust Traveller: Chasing the rain - Agumbe - Thirthahalli - Jog Falls-dsc_6129.jpg
A350XWB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 20:23   #20
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
The home stay owner at Thirthahalli owns an HP bunk on NH 13 inside Thirthahalli town. I have read positive review about a TBHPian who filled from there few years back .
Seems like most Tirthahalli home-stay owners have petrol bunks as well
Same with the place we stayed at (Kolavara Heritage), the family owns a bunk very close to Tirthahalli town. I think it was a HP bunk as well, we tanked up on fuel there.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 20:30   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Nice travelogue, brings back the memories of my trip. As mentioned in your ownership thread, Thirthahalli-Agumbe was the first trip for my XUV.
Thanks.
The we too tried to get down towards sand banks, however the water flow was bit high and well, sand was wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Same with the place we stayed at (Kolavara Heritage), the family owns a bunk very close to Tirthahalli town. I think it was a HP bunk as well, we tanked up on fuel there.
Both of us are saying about the same bunk.
Our home stay owner Mr. Gowtham is nephew of Kolavara Heritage owner.
Old 10th September 2014, 21:29   #22
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Both of us are saying about the same bunk.
Our home stay owner Mr. Gowtham is nephew of Kolavara Heritage owner.
Ah thanks for clarifying that! It was kind of too much of a coincidence to digest
BTW, another good IOC bunk is at Koppa just as soon as you make a right (kind of U) turn towards sringeri.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 21:53   #23
BHPian

Very nice travelogue. I have been reading the news paper and came to know that Linganamakki Dam is completely full and 4 gates are open now. Probabely if any is planning to go to Jog this week it would be the most wonderful falls of the world to watch with full of water.

It was almost 9 years back when I had seen all the 4 Raja Rani Rorer and Rocket as one falls. No doubt I had to wait for about 8 hours at the view point just to get a glimpse of the falls for about couple of minutes.
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 22:01   #24
BHPian

Quote:
The we too tried to get down towards sand banks, however the water flow was bit high and well, sand was wet
Actually, monsoon season has it's own charm. One should make a trip during summer and also during the rains to see the beauty of these places.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 15:15   #25
BHPian

Hi mpksuhas,

The Fall in Autumn looks great.
Moreover I love to drive to a hill.
I am sure the XUV would have offered the drive comfort of car with supremacy of a SUV.

Did you get chance to test the Hill decent control in XUV ? Never got chance to take it to Hills as Fortuner took preference for some reason or other.

thanks.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 17:04   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Did you get chance to test the Hill decent control in XUV ? Never got chance to take it to Hills as Fortuner took preference for some reason or other.
Thanks Wanderers.

Yes, the manners of vehicle on twisty roads was impressive.

Tried hill descent while climbing down Kundadri hill and it was working fine. Had tried it the first time during another trip few weeks back.

However the issue with that is the speed will almost be constant all across, even if in between you come across a place where road is less steep. That time you will have to up shift or accelerate manually.
Old 12th September 2014, 10:36   #27
BHPian

Quote:

However the issue with that is the speed will almost be constant all across, even if in between you come across a place where road is less steep. That time you will have to up shift or accelerate manually.
Hi

Thanks for response.

I did not get you on meaning of "constant speed". Are we suppose to use descent control along with Cruise Control ?
I thought the gear shift & accelerator would always be required.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 13:23   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I did not get you on meaning of "constant speed". Are we suppose to use descent control along with Cruise Control ?
I thought the gear shift & accelerator would always be required.
Hill Descent Control keeps the speed of the vehicle constant, when you engage it, going down a slope. You can make fine adjustments to the speed by using the +/- switch. For each gear, there is a limit for the highest speed allowed (shift points mentioned in the manual). The vehicle will automatically keep the set speed by brake inputs, no need of manual intervention.
What Suhas meant is, during the climb down, you encounter some sections which are less steep and would like to speed up a bit there. In such cases, you manually upshift or increase the speed by pressing on the accelerator pedal.
In Cruise Control mode, each press of +/- will vary the speed by 2kmph and in case of HDC, the variation is 0.5kmph.
Old 12th September 2014, 13:50   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
What Suhas meant is, during the climb down, you encounter some sections which are less steep and would like to speed up a bit there. In such cases, you manually upshift or increase the speed by pressing on the accelerator pedal.
In Cruise Control mode, each press of +/- will vary the speed by 2kmph and in case of HDC, the variation is 0.5kmph.
Thanks.
Exactly what I tried to explain and caused the confusion

Another thing I noticed while engaging hill descent in steep slopes is that the break was not getting engaged for long duration. It was getting engaged in pulsating manner, infact during a very steep incline even passengers in back seat was able to feel the sound of break pad hitting against disc.
Old 12th September 2014, 15:11   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Another thing I noticed while engaging hill descent in steep slopes is that the break was not getting engaged for long duration. It was getting engaged in pulsating manner, infact during a very steep incline even passengers in back seat was able to feel the sound of break pad hitting against disc.
AFAIK, this is to keep the brake temperature in check thereby avoiding brake fade. If the pads rub continuously against the disc, the temperature rises quickly which leads to reduced braking efficiency (brake fade).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks