Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2014, 11:42   #16
BHPian

Re: Of Palaces and Forts - Royal Rajasthan

Really like your way of detailed writing abhinav . On top of it, its coupled with marvelous pictures . Read it at one go.

Waiting for next updates.

Last edited by JASMEET MATTOO : 21st October 2014 at 11:43. Reason: Correction
JASMEET MATTOO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 12:25   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Oct 3, 2014
Bishnoi Village

The property is good but the huts are showing their age. Maybe they could do some makeup to spice things up a little. There are some new cottages coming up as well in addition to the older ones.

Of Palaces and Forts - Royal Rajasthan-p1030112.jpg

Of Palaces and Forts - Royal Rajasthan-p1030113.jpg

Of Palaces and Forts - Royal Rajasthan-p1030108.jpg

We have lunch and relax. The weather is too hot for the village safaris right now. We start by 4:30pm with Amit, our host and now, guide.

Amit recalls the story of Salman Khan and black buck. Apparently it was here, the incident happened. He says, Salman should thank his stars (pun-not-intended) he was not manhandled by the local populace. The Bishnoi people are guardians of wildlife. I will not narrate everything here, but will just direct you to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khejarli. He escaped much before the people got to know. The gypsy driver who brought them here, though, is still missing. Whose behind it, no one knows, his family still lives a simple life hoping he will return some day.

It was not one of those safaris you do in a forest, with the sole intent of spotting wildlife. This was a ride, bone-jarring though, through the absolute wild - where people seem to be living harmoniously with nature - there was no conflict, no grudges. So peaceful, so pure. Accompanied with Amit's stories, it was as if we were reliving the past. There was an innocence

Some wildlife we spot in the trip

Of Palaces and Forts - Royal Rajasthan-p1030147.jpg

Of Palaces and Forts - Royal Rajasthan-p1030154.jpg
Black Buck - Of Salman Khan fame

Of Palaces and Forts - Royal Rajasthan-p1030156.jpg
A slightly cropped version

Of Palaces and Forts - Royal Rajasthan-p1030196.jpg

Of Palaces and Forts - Royal Rajasthan-p1030159.jpg
Total Wilderness

Of Palaces and Forts - Royal Rajasthan-p1030164.jpg

Of Palaces and Forts - Royal Rajasthan-p1030168.jpg

Of Palaces and Forts - Royal Rajasthan-p1030178.jpg

Of Palaces and Forts - Royal Rajasthan-p1030179.jpg

Of Palaces and Forts - Royal Rajasthan-p1030182.jpg
Siberian Crane?

Of Palaces and Forts - Royal Rajasthan-p1030187.jpg

Amit also takes us to a nearby pottery and artisan villages. Well, not villages exactly, but close. Fantastic initiatives by the youth. See this is what education does. You get to know the world and it's dirty ways. So now they don't meddle with the middle men and take the profits home directly. They know how to sell their craft and since the usual tourist doesn't go much deep into the hinterlands, they have brought their art to nearby villages - it still gives a feel of seeing the 'actual' thing and yet at the same time it also feels like a 'theme' shop. Anyway, ladies buy some stuff impressed by the demonstrations (how could they not!) and we head back to the camps.

Of Palaces and Forts - Royal Rajasthan-p1030199.jpg

Amit arranges for a folk singer to entertain while the dinner is prepared. The proper shows are held only during the peak season. Since we are the only family present, we have to be content with just a singer. But he was good - and the show lasted for close to an hour. The dinner was traditional affair - daal, baati, churma and the works. We enjoy it! Very different, but we love it.

Of Palaces and Forts - Royal Rajasthan-p1030214.jpg

Oct 4, 2014
Heading Home!

After having a sumptuous breakfast the camp we leave for Delhi. Enroute we decide to stop at the Brahma temple at Pushkar. Not many pictures here - it is super crowded and we barely manage a darshan. Rest of the journey is uneventful, and we reach back home, safe and sound by night.

Before the curtains draw, a special thanks to the trusty steed for taking us everywhere in comfort.

Of Palaces and Forts - Royal Rajasthan-p1030281.jpg
Take a bow, mate!

Until the next one..

Last edited by Dry Ice : 21st October 2014 at 12:46. Reason: fixing attachement links
Dry Ice is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 12:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

Very nice travelogue. Chowki Dhani is a real nice place to chill out in the evenings. Were you able to try the roti and garlic chutney from the old lady in one of the huts? Its the most simplest meal I have tasted but totally out of this world taste.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 15:57   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Very nice travelogue. Chowki Dhani is a real nice place to chill out in the evenings. Were you able to try the roti and garlic chutney from the old lady in one of the huts? Its the most simplest meal I have tasted but totally out of this world taste.
Thanks! No we didn't try that. Maybe next time.
They are now opening branches in many more cities - but Jaipur one remains the top bet.
Old 22nd October 2014, 11:22   #20
BHPian

Brilliant pics and loved the story-like approach.

I visited Rajasthan in 2009 which still seems so fresh in memory till date. The people, places and the surroundings in Rajasthan are all so hospitable. We also traveled via road and that is what made the journey even more worthwhile.

Thanks for posting this travelogue - it hits the right chords for me.
indianv2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2014, 23:51   #21
BHPian

Thanks Dry Ice for an amazing travelogue with attention to details. I could not have come across this, at better time as I just booked the flight tickets for a trip to Rajasthan with friends and was looking for information to plan the remaining details. The pictures are amazing and I am now hoping that the next month will just fly away .

We are planning to rent a car and drive to make the trip more interesting. I was banking on google and now I need to be more prepared with the routes after your experience with it. We had a similar experience of driving into some remote villages with hardly any roads while on a trip to Kerala.

Last edited by nagarjun : 23rd October 2014 at 00:04.
nagarjun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2014, 09:04   #22
BHPian

Excellent blog Dry_Ice. Last week I planned my vacation for the year end. I was looking for options to drive around for a week. I know where I am going It will be a drive from Pune - Rajasthan.

Thanks for the details and nice photographs.

Cheers
jeetaman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2014, 12:18   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
.. I was banking on google and now I need to be more prepared with the routes after your experience with it..
Use Google to plan your trip before hand. Stick to NHs, SHs. Read accounts of people who did the same route. Should give you pointers as to whether Google is off the mark or on the money.

I knew it will be off the mark for Ranakpur - Kumbhalgarh even before I started from Delhi. Hence asked the locals first before following it.

ATB for the upcoming trip!
Dry Ice is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2014, 20:37   #24
BHPian

Eventhough I've been through Rajasthan and the places that you've mentioned so many times, still you made me read through your entire travelogue in one go, that's how impressive your narration & the pics to back it are. They just bought back memories of my various trips to these places. You should have also included Jaisalmer which is a 3.5 zip drive from Jodhpur.
ADI_77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2014, 19:33   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADI_77 View Post
Eventhough I've been through Rajasthan and the places that you've mentioned so many times, still you made me read through your entire travelogue in one go, that's how impressive your narration & the pics to back it are. They just bought back memories of my various trips to these places. You should have also included Jaisalmer which is a 3.5 zip drive from Jodhpur.

Glad you liked the log so much. Thanks a lot. About Jaisalmer, well, I have mentioned about it in the opening post. :-)

Maybe sometime in future.
Old 28th September 2015, 14:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue. Summed up beautifully with pics.

I too am traveling to Jaipur, do you think it makes sense to go to Amer Fort even before reaching Jaipur? As you have done.

Also, how far one has to walk up at Amer fort from car parking? If its too long, then I might have to try elephant ride the next day.
tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 23:10   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post

I too am traveling to Jaipur, do you think it makes sense to go to Amer Fort even before reaching Jaipur? As you have done.

Also, how far one has to walk up at Amer fort from car parking? If its too long, then I might have to try elephant ride the next day.
Hi Amit,

Amer Fort is right at the entrance of Jaipur city thus it makes sense to visit it first. If you have ample time, you may plan a visit later. IIRC, the distance between the car parking area & Amer Fort is not much.
rx2389 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 07:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx2389 View Post
Hi Amit,

Amer Fort is right at the entrance of Jaipur city thus it makes sense to visit it first. If you have ample time, you may plan a visit later. IIRC, the distance between the car parking area & Amer Fort is not much.

Thanks for your reply.

I can see another route suggested by Google for Jaipur (in blue color). So if one wants to go to Amer while going to Jaipur (from Delhi), one has to take different route. Hope, this route is also good.

Do see the screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Of Palaces and Forts - Royal Rajasthan-jaipur.jpg  

Old 1st October 2015, 17:45   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nice travelogue. Summed up beautifully with pics.

Thank you!

It's not too far. Infact much closer than what we experienced at some other forts. On a lean day, you could easily get parking near the main entrance. If not, you can always drop your family at the gate, park the vehicle and walk back alone. While going to the parking, you will cross the main entry gate.

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

I can see another route suggested by Google for Jaipur (in blue color). So if one wants to go to Amer while going to Jaipur (from Delhi), one has to take different route. Hope, this route is also good.

Do see the screenshot.
That is right. At Chandwaji, you have to continue straight for Amer fort (leave NH-8). If going directly to Jaipur you can take the right turn (continue on NH-8).

Visiting it before entering Jaipur is a good option if you want to save time. That way, you don't have to retrace your steps too much for visiting this palace at a later day. If, however, you have ample time in hand, you can always comeback later or even cover it on the return leg.
Dry Ice is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 20:53   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
It's not too far.

Visiting it before entering Jaipur is a good option if you want to save time. That way, you don't have to retrace your steps too much for visiting this palace at a later day. If, however, you have ample time in hand, you can always comeback later or even cover it on the return leg.
Thanks to your travelogue and suggestions. I had been to Jaipur last weekend and made a trip to Amer fort before I went to Jaipur city. This helped me save time to not to make a return trip to Amer fort the next day.

This advice and suggestions are the exactly reasons, why I turn to team-bhp.
tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks