Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2015, 11:54   #16
BHPian

Re: A trip to Lucknow - Janab muskuraie, kyunki aap Lucknow mein hain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Incidentally, there was this creamy fluffy sweet stuff being sold on the street, and we loved it. Except, we have totally forgotten what it's called. Would you (or anyone else) be able to say what it is?

Makhan Malai.. Very similar to the daulat ki chaat that you get in old delhi. But different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makhan_malai

-- no1lives4ever

Last edited by no1lives4ever : 20th March 2015 at 11:56.
no1lives4ever is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 17:09   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Tongas are still there! Hmmmm... all those nice rememberances of my childhood days, sigh!
Ah yes - some tonga pics for you...

A trip to Lucknow - Janab muskuraie, kyunki aap Lucknow mein hain-dsc01274sm.jpg

A trip to Lucknow - Janab muskuraie, kyunki aap Lucknow mein hain-dsc01272sm.jpg

A trip to Lucknow - Janab muskuraie, kyunki aap Lucknow mein hain-dsc01277sm.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Statutory warning- Don't even open this thread if you are feeling hungry! The nababi khana's pics and description over here are simply mouth watering!
Too much of nawabi khana might cause people to end up with diarrhoea - the sign on the street already warns you, even with some similarity in colour! (PW already posted the full pic, I just cropped to the relevant part)

A trip to Lucknow - Janab muskuraie, kyunki aap Lucknow mein hain-dsc01261sm.jpg
SS-Traveller is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 13:09   #18
BHPian

Wow, what a triplogue.

It becomes difficult to judge what is more exciting, the physical journey or the gastronomical journey.

With regards to the warning, even if you are not hungry you are still bound to suffer from mouth watering, which at times makes things difficult, as in my case right now I am in office surrounded by girls working in my team, and your article is making me salivate. Sends a very wrong message!!!

On a different, if I were to drive from Patna to Lucknow, could you fine people suggest which route I should take?

With special reference to SST, Sirji your suggestions really made my Kolkata trip memorable. I thank you with the sincerest feelings. I hope I can dedicate more trips to honour you.
Kn1ght1941 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 16:11   #19
BHPian

Super write-up! Have read lot about these place. Specially liked the mouth watering delicacies! Will make a trip soon!
Old 23rd March 2015, 19:22   #20
BHPian

Holy mother of god. That food looks yummy.
Tastiest post I have read I must say.

Loved the idea of shoe arrangement in one of the snaps.
And will go home and have to download the Hathkadi movie. Can't stand watching a poster like that and not watch the movie.

5 stars for the post. Thanks.

Last edited by DevilzzzzOwn : 23rd March 2015 at 19:23. Reason: Grammatical error.
Old 24th March 2015, 13:14   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1lives4ever View Post
Makhan Malai.. Very similar to the daulat ki chaat that you get in old delhi. But different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makhan_malai

-- no1lives4ever
It is also called as Mishri Mawa in Rajasthan
Old 24th March 2015, 14:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Amazingly detailed trip log. And as Samba mentioned, the write up is not only well written, but also a fun read.

I read your article during my lunch time and ended up eating more than usual because I was so engrossed in this thread
Old 24th March 2015, 20:44   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
Holy Moly!! those kebabs and qorma make my mouth water like anything. If it was not for lent period, I would have plunged my teeth into some soft succulent kebabs by now
Lent is just 6 weeks. That still gives you 46 weeks in a year to enjoy Lucknow and its delicacies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Hello predatorwheelz,
Firstly, congratulations and thanks for this lovely ode to Lucknow. I am embarrassed to admit that I have been living in Lucknow/Mumbai for these past two decades and yet never thought of writing about either city. Thanks once again.

I consider myself a born-again Up-ite, having spent all my childhood, boyhood and school years in Allahabad and having done my inter science from Lucknow, before stepping out into the larger world yonder.

But your thread brought to life another picture of Lucknow - of Tunday's kababs, of Prakash's kulfi among others - that I now realize had become a misty memory. And being a dedicated foodie, I will now re-establish communications with these worthies!

Best regards,
Shashanka
Please do write about Lucknow sir. What I experienced in 1.5 days cannot be compared to the experiences of a true Lucknowite. And invite us when you
re-establish communications with Lucknow food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
A much needed travelogue for guys like me who just thought Lucknow to be a congested city! This travelogue has changed my perspective on the city and now its on my 'to be visited list'! Thanks a lot for sharing this experience. The way you have done the research and got into the details of the facts are worth a mention. The pictures are good too which adds up the over all essence of this travelogue. One request to every one opening this thread, please do not scroll down by just seeing the pictures. The write up is very informative and deserves a bit of your precious time.

Statutory warning- Don't even open this thread if you are feeling hungry! The nababi khana's pics and description over here are simply mouth watering!
Thank you brother. Your encouragement in most of my writings serves as an inspiration. Let me know when you're visiting Delhi next. Will plan a weekend trip to Lucknow in my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
A very candid travelogue.

Just as Samba mentioned above, should have a warning mentioning not to open when hungry

Thanks.
Dunno about candid, but certainly can do. Again and again, simply for the scrumptious food!

Quote:
Ah yes - some tonga pics for you...
I've now realized that there are 2 kinds of tonga pics. The first is a Tonga pic, where you show a Tonga, the horse pulling it, and some humans riding it. Like your first pic.

The second is a From a Tonga Pic, in which you can see the world through a horse's, err, derrière taking up majority of the frame. As your 2nd and 3rd pic demonstrate!

Quote:
Too much of nawabi khana might cause people to end up with diarrhoea - the sign on the street already warns you, even with some similarity in colour!
You certainly passed the motion (for puns, that too interlingual) with that statement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kn1ght1941 View Post
With regards to the warning, even if you are not hungry you are still bound to suffer from mouth watering, which at times makes things difficult, as in my case right now I am in office surrounded by girls working in my team, and your article is making me salivate. Sends a very wrong message!!!
Did you get beaten up by the girls, drool and all? What's the punishment in Dubai for something like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzzzzOwn View Post
Holy mother of god. That food looks yummy.
Tastiest post I have read I must say.
Thanks brother. Still makes me drool whenever I read my own post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarNut View Post
It is also called as Mishri Mawa in Rajasthan
Are you sure? I've had Mishri Mawa in Jodhpur once, it was a sweet made of scrambled khoya, like a Kalakand. This one is pure whipped cream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Amazingly detailed trip log. And as Samba mentioned, the write up is not only well written, but also a fun read.

I read your article during my lunch time and ended up eating more than usual because I was so engrossed in this thread
Thanks brother. Yes, the thread does have that effect. You must visit Lucknow soon to cure yourself of the craving!
predatorwheelz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 21:20   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Lent is just 6 weeks. That still gives you 46 weeks in a year to enjoy Lucknow and its delicacies.

Please do write about Lucknow sir. What I experienced in 1.5 days cannot be compared to the experiences of a true Lucknowite. And invite us when you
re-establish communications with Lucknow food!

Done, predatorwheelz, done ! On my next visit to Lucknow, you will certainly be on my mind and God willing, we'll share Tunday's kababs too!

The unfortunate fact is that everyone and their cousin wants a free ride on Tunday's franchise, with the result that outlets have opened all over Lucknow under this name who have nothing to do with the original, as you have shown so effectively.

About writing a thread on Lucknow, let me assure you that after the marvellous effort you have made (albeit lasting only 1.5 days!), it won't be easy to top that!

Best regards,
Shashanka
Old 25th March 2015, 11:58   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post

Did you get beaten up by the girls, drool and all? What's the punishment in Dubai for something like that?

No, I did not, thank you very much. Luckily they are all my subordinates. That said, the punishment for eve teasing in Dubai is a huge fine followed by a six month jail term ,further followed by deportation. Even the assailants won't be spared for laying their hands on someone and will be punished as well, albeit not so harshly.

You won't believe there is a Tunday Kababi here as well, but I don't know if he is the authentic one. I paid him a visit after reading this post, and you have just fired me up for a road trip to LKO on my next vacation.
Kn1ght1941 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 12:27   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah but right at that time, when I was reading this T'logue, I had the urge to have it at that time itself!! hehe
gabrielthomas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2015, 16:47   #27
BHPian

Fantastic thread Aniket. I belong to Lucknow & used to do visit all these attraction on my bike during college days. Its quite refreshing to see all the place once again. Now when I go to Lucknow, I dont even visit these places. Time is usually spent at home. This does not please my better half though.

Once again Wonderful thread & pictures.
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2015, 20:52   #28
BHPian

I had been to Lucknow some eight and a half years back but at that time i never knew about the exact places to indulge my taste buds. Just heard that its a good place for biriyani s and kebabs and ended up with some shitty food then.

But now that its crystal clear where to indulge a drive to Lucknow is on very soon. Thanks Aniket for all the information. Excellent details, got me hungry, probably will call Arsalan now for the time being.
A.G.The Rambler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2015, 14:18   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

To wind up the story of our trip, and to share some more pics...

A low light photograph inside the Bara Imambara

A trip to Lucknow - Janab muskuraie, kyunki aap Lucknow mein hain-dsc01315edsm.jpg

A demonstration of the straight-line views available at the Baoli (stepwell), in which the main entrance can be observed by a guard standing at a strategic place deep inside the dark recesses of the baoli, whom the visitor cannot see. Mrs. SST can be seen to the right (red circle) - she refused to climb up and down all the stairs that is required to explore the Baoli!
A trip to Lucknow - Janab muskuraie, kyunki aap Lucknow mein hain-dsc01333edsm.jpg

On the way back, we took 3 stops. The first was around noon at a decent dhaba, where we had tea and soft drinks. Soon, a bus-load of guests on their way from a wedding party arrived, and settled down for what seemed to be a pre-arranged lunch. With their kids creating a ruckus, we decided to leave quickly.
A trip to Lucknow - Janab muskuraie, kyunki aap Lucknow mein hain-dsc_0793edsm.jpg

The next stop was for lunch in the late afternoon at a spanking new dhaba on the Bareilly bypass. Bad decision - they were not geared to handle an influx of 5 hungry customers, and it took us a full hour to finish the meal and move on. The food, though, was fresh and tasty.
A trip to Lucknow - Janab muskuraie, kyunki aap Lucknow mein hain-dsc01336edsm.jpg

After many hours on the road, we found a Cafe Coffee Day (CCD) near Gajraula. Now, predatorwheelz has the company's adridged name advertised on his vehicle's numberplate permanently. Yet, sadly, they refused to offer us a discount, never mind a cup of free coffee... not that PW asked - we needed that coffee anyway!
A trip to Lucknow - Janab muskuraie, kyunki aap Lucknow mein hain-dsc_0800edsm.jpg

So that was how the trip ended. As they say, Bongs will go to the ends of the earth for delectable food - and we had just gone to Lucknow!
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2015, 16:16   #30
BHPian

Congrats to both of you, for such a great write up, backed with relevant pictures. Actually i had done a delhi, agra, kanpur - lucknow - bareilly - kathgodam, bhmtal, almora, kausani, ranikhet, nainital, kaladhungi, moradabad - delhi, somewhere in late winter 2003. The visit was actually agra to kumaon, and back. But the pull of legendary tunde ke kabab was too much, and hence the detour via kanpur to lucknow and bareilly to bhimtal !

Reading your post reminded me the taste of tunde; and frankly speaking, i dont remember any thing else of the trip ! (of- course, the prakash, kulfi, the aloo tikki chaat, golgappas were there too).

Now i am doing kolkata - almora via lucknow and almora - kolkata via banaras and gaya. Due to costly puja bookings in bhutan had to cance, kolkata bhutan kolkata trip.

Just to ask all knowledgeable guys, isnt lucknow, also famous for biryani?
Why no body visits the biryani places? I have heard lucknow gharana of biryanis are as famous as hydrabadi or kolkata gharana. Any guide or any particular shop or restaurant to be recommended? The reason for pitstops at lucknow, banaras and Gaya are purely for these. Hope you will oblige.

Also any recommendations for the route to kathgodam,
1. lucknow - sitapur- lakhimpur - kathgodam.
2. lucknow -hardoi - shahjahanpur- pilibhit- kathgodam
3. lucknow - sitapur - shahjahanpur - pilibhit - kathgodam.

distance wise all are nearly same 377/376/378 km. time also says same; but i have my doubts about SH's of UP. stick to NH or take the notorious SH? any advise, will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
dr. sen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks