Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2015, 10:42   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Solo drive to the North East - All Seven Sisters

Wow. Excellent travelogue. Thanks for sharing you experiences. Absolutely Brilliant.

I think if Hyundai get to know about this, they will make you the official ambassador for the Xcent . I don't think that they would have ever expected someone to put the Xcent through such a test. That too with an AT box that supposedly has an perception that it is an out dated one and suitable only for city use . I think your trip clearly proves otherwise.

Not sure if I missed it, but did not see the reason why you embarked on this challenging solo journey.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 11:23   #17
Team-BHP Support

Superb travelogue Secretariat! I've traveled quite a bit in the North East and absolutely love the place. The beauty of some of the areas is second to none. Your photographs sure brought back many happy memories.

5 stars!
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 13:27   #18
BHPian

Dear Secretariat,

Firstly this Log deserves 5 stars and giving it to you right now. Secondly you brought back so many memories of this area that I traversed, in the late 70s and the again in the late 80's, when I served in the East. We used to walk to our post from Along. Lekhapani, Jagun, Miao, Silchar, Ledo, Jairampur (our ranges), Shillong, Ziro and so on, jog my memories, thank you. Drove from Bengaluru to Bhutan and Sikkim but not ahead. Great T'Log waiting for more pictures. Accidently drove two kms into Bangladesh (1977) at the same border crossing-it was fun.
Regards

Col Jude Mayne
Judemayne is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 14:33   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Secretariat - One word for you is 'Brialliant'! 11K kms panning through the southern to NE India across 1.5 months is not a joke. And definitely not as easy and simple that you put across this travelogue. It is a feat in itself. Any particular reasons that you opted to go solo? I am sure there would have been lots of company if you had wanted.

We are already in awe of your writing and humorous tidbits here and there make your travelogue even more spicy. Absolutely loved the Myanmar episodes. Thanks for sharing the log with us and salute your persistence to carry on the long journey!

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 14:50   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent travelogue Secretariat! I was hooked and read it all in one sitting. But then, not much of a surprise given that you were responsible for the hilarious Confessions of a Novice Detailer thread

The North East is a distant dream for most people. The closest I got was a 2-day trip to Gangtok, Sikkim after graduation in Calcutta. Too long ago, and have never gone back. The kind of planning a trip like yours would take boggles the mind, especially with a young family in tow. So for now, shall live vicariously- maybe some day...!

Am also inspired to read your other marathon TL now. Will certainly do so when I find the time.

Rated 5*. Keep writing!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 14:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

Incredible travelogue. Driving to the NE states all the way from Bangalore in a sedan is a memorable experience for sure. The road conditions for the individual stretches are so well-documented, not to mention the amount of information shared. Although i must admit i need a couple of more readings to absorb all that you have shared!
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 15:03   #22
BHPian

Wow! this is how a road trip should be done. Thanks for sharing all the details. This will now get in to the 'todo' of BHPians.
Old 25th March 2015, 15:52   #23
BHPian

Wow what an exhaustive travelogue !!! Beautiful,well narrated and highly informative. Wish I get the courage and spirit to undertake such journeys in the future. And a petrol hyundai took all that abuse without breaking a sweat!?? Indeed a robust car. By the way, did you encounter any mechanical problems,punctures during the whole travel?just out of curiosity,what was the total cost for the entire trip?
printh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 15:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

Indigo is starting flights to Dimapur via Kolkata from 15 April 2015 so Nagaland is now connected through Air route also.

Happy NAGALAND-ING !

Cheers

Last edited by i74js : 25th March 2015 at 16:02.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 16:21   #25
BHPian

amazingly well written - most impressive is that you were able to do the entire trip all by yourself. kudos and well done!
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 17:14   #26
BHPian

Sir, you deserve a bow.

My wife is from Imphal, did her schooling from there and your photos of the Ima market will surely bring tear to her eyes when I show her this thread. Thanks a ton for sharing. She yearns to visit Imphal but avoids going there due to current conditions, professional/personal commitments. I have promised her that we will take our daughter to the North - east as her first trip as she deserves to know how her parents grew up.

Again, thanks a ton. Rating this thread a 5 -star.

Editing the post to add ::

Driving 11000 Kms is stupendous.

Last edited by Dieseltuned : 25th March 2015 at 17:15. Reason: Adding to the post
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 17:52   #27
BHPian

Wow! What a travelogue. Very well written and one heck of a journey. I feel embarrassed to be called myself a native of Manipur :(

I would love to tour the whole of the north east one day, though not on car, but on a bicycle. I still love driving cars, but the idea of touring places comes only on a bicycle. No wonder, my longest rides are also on a bicycle. Longest on a stretch on car is 950 km and longest on a bicycle is 1240 km(in fact I did the distance twice on bicycle), all three of them in one hell of a weather - stormy, windy, chilling cold in nights, hot in the day, climbed five mountains.

However it is, time for some serious touring now. Thanks for rekindling. Amazing travelogue again.

Last edited by GTO : 31st August 2016 at 08:41. Reason: STRICTLY no linking to personal websites please
opendro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 18:15   #28
BHPian

Fantastic Travelogue !! Every picture present is with a meaning.

Regarding Barhi, Folks who travel from Kolkata to Delhi often by road are quite familiar to the place since it falls on NH2 in Hazaribagh, Jharkhand. NH2 near Barhi is excellent. In fact I crossed Barhi 10 days back while coming back from Lucknow to Kolkata.

Regards,

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 19:28   #29
Senior - BHPian

Good to see you back and very glad to see your TL. Im still writing my TL and it should be ready in a few days.

Go this way for Barhi -->>
Attached Thumbnails
Solo drive to the North East - All Seven Sisters-20150220_065302.jpg  

jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 20:16   #30
BHPian

Fantastic trip mate. While we did not meet when you were here, was tracking your trip and while discussing it with wanderernomad when you were already in Mechuka, we realised that you have driven down solo. My reaction? Another one from the nutty tribe...

Great details that you have captured here. It'd be of great help to many Tbhpians who'd like to explore this part of the world.

Oh, btw, you could have buzzed me while here in Guwahati, could have caught up with you as you spent 2 days in Guwahati.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Good to see you back and very glad to see your TL. Im still writing my TL and it should be ready in a few days.

Go this way for Barhi -->>
@jaysmokesleaves - As I've told you already, your driving was faster than your travelogue. Can't wait to see your pics. And it'd be great to see 2 active travelogues from NE at the same time.

Last edited by wanderer4x4 : 25th March 2015 at 20:35.
wanderer4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks