Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2015, 22:28   #1

Journey to the Malenadu!

Total kilometers: ~ 1200

Duration: 3 nights, 4 days

Route: Bengaluru - Chitradurga - Shivamogga - Thirthalli - Kodachadri - Kollur - Murudeshwar - Jog Falls - Shivamogga - Channarayanapatna - Bengaluru

Road conditions: Very good throughout, except 30 kms from Chitradurga to Shimoga on NH13. Also widening of road in progress on NH17 to Murudeshwar.

Hotels for stay:
Thirthalli - Hotel Royal Inn - Rs. 1200 per a/c room, Kamat Residency
Murudeshwar: RNS Residency (by the beach) - Rs 3000 + tax per a/c room
Shimoga: Hotel Ashoka Grand

Hotel for Snacks:
Tumakuru: Pavithra Idly Hotel

Journey to the Malenadu!-maps.png

Day 1: It was my friend's wedding in Thirthalli and we decided to pay a flying visit with some of my colleagues. We were 15 from office with 4 legged mechanised beasts going as a convoy to attend the wedding. There was my Duster, the Innova, the new Honda City and the Hyundai Verna. I was the pilot vehicle responsible for safety and navigation.

Since there were so many other tourist places around Thirthalli, we decided to club it with the wedding. We left office from Whitefield at 4 in the evening and took 2.5 hours to reach Nelamangala via Hebbal on Outer Ring Road. We stopped at Pavithra Idly hotel, Kyathsandra, Tumakuru, Karnataka. I personally recommend thatte idly and masala dosa .

We left Tumakaru by 7 and reached Chitradurga by 8:30 pm via the amazing 6 lane National Highway 4. The Chitradurga - Shivamogga road is being tarred and relaid. Hence, it took us a bit of time, but definitely there was less traffic. After a break in between, we reached Thirthalli at 2 am in the morning and checked in at Royal Inn Hotel.

Journey to the Malenadu!-img_1659.jpg

Journey to the Malenadu!-img_1667.jpg

Journey to the Malenadu!-img_1676.jpg

Journey to the Malenadu!-img_1723.jpg

Journey to the Malenadu!-img_1746.jpg

Day 2: We left from the hotel to go to the Sakrebyle Elephant Camp by 8 and reached at 9:15. The amazing Tunga river flows parallel to the road with dense forests. It was a fantastic drive with beautiful weather topping it. Covered 50 kms in half an hour. There were around 20 elephants and you can give a bath to the elephants, or take a ride or take a picture. We reached back to the hotel by 11 and attended the wedding post which, we left for Kundadri by 3 pm. The drive to Kundadri was awesome and difficult - steep bends, curves almost a single lane for about 6 km. The view from the top is breath-taking with a pond and a Jain temple on top, with fresh air gushing through the lungs.

After spending some time, we left for Agumbe, where we saw the sunset at the Sunset Point and the Malgudi Days bungalow (Doddamane). Got thanked by a few colleagues as they were big fans of Malgudi Days. We came back to Thirthalli and halted.

Journey to the Malenadu!-img_1963.jpg

Journey to the Malenadu!-img_1969.jpg

Journey to the Malenadu!-img_20150528_163716.jpg

Journey to the Malenadu!-img_20150528_171010.jpg

Journey to the Malenadu!-img_20150528_182724.jpg

Day 3 and 4: I had heard a lot about Kodachadri and it definitely kept up to its name. You can take your vehicles up to a point and from there, you need to hire a 4x4 Jeep. Some private 4x4 vehicles can drive up, but the terrain is extremely difficult. We saw a Scorpio return back after the first turn, but a Mahindra Thar carried on.

The 40 minute jeep journey is bone-breaking, but truly adventurous. The trek to Shankaracharya Peeta is a lifetime experience, which no one should miss. The 4 hour Kodachari experience was heavenly and I can never forget in my life. From there we went to Kollur through the Nagodi Ghat among the dense Mookambika forest - amazing newly laid roads. We visited the famous Kollur Mookambika temple (one of the Shakthi Peetas) after having food at Adigas. Hotel Mookambika Palace is a good place to stay at Kollur.

From there, we left at 5 pm and reached Murudeshwar at 7 pm and halted at RNS Residency. It is by the beach and is a very good hotel. The sound of waves of the Arabian Sea hitting the rocks on top which the hotel is built, is truly a mesmerising experience. The view of the huge Lord Shiva statue and the Gopuram is cool. In the morning, we visited the beach, which was not so clean and had some speed boat rides. Snorkeling is an option to an island about 3 hours. The view from the top of Gopuram is a must see.

We left Murudeshwar by 1 and reached Bangalore by 2 am (13 hours with 3 breaks) via Jog falls, Shimoga, Bhadravati and Channarayanapatna.

The road till Shimoga was very good and since we had taken the Chitradurga - Shimoga road while coming, we decided to go on the Bhadravati - Arsikere road this time. Although the road is better, there is lot of traffic from Shimoga to Arsikere. Hence, I would prefer the Shimoga - Chitradurga road, even if it's a bit bad.

Journey to the Malenadu!-img_20150529_095359.jpg

Journey to the Malenadu!-img_20150529_110713.jpg

Journey to the Malenadu!-img_20150529_134242.jpg

Journey to the Malenadu!-img_20150529_124328.jpg

Journey to the Malenadu!-kodachadri1.jpg

Journey to the Malenadu!-img_2026.jpg

Journey to the Malenadu!-img_2041-1.jpg

Journey to the Malenadu!-img_2046.jpg

Journey to the Malenadu!-img_2049-1.jpg

Journey to the Malenadu!-img_2132.jpg

Journey to the Malenadu!-img_2156.jpg

Journey to the Malenadu!-img_2158.jpg

Journey to the Malenadu!-img_2170.jpg

Journey to the Malenadu!-img_2176.jpg

Journey to the Malenadu!-img_2185.jpg

Journey to the Malenadu!-img_2203.jpg

Journey to the Malenadu!-img_2186.jpg

Journey to the Malenadu!-img_2211-1.jpg

Journey to the Malenadu!-img_2221.jpg

Karnataka truly is, as it is said, one state many worlds. It has it all. From forests to beaches to temples to hills. It was one of the most memorable experiences along with a fantastic group of colleagues. Life is short but the memories live on.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th June 2015 at 12:24. Reason: Spacing, formatting
AjMusto is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 21:00   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Journey to the Malenadu!

Note from Support: Thread moved from the Assembly Line to Travelogues. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by aah78 : 8th June 2015 at 21:07.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 21:18   #3
BHPian

Wonderfully written and fantastic pictures , Such contrasting locations within one state.
You are absolutely right about the Bhadravati - Arasikere - Tumkur route, the traffic on this route is insane most are lorries and buses being driven recklessly (I have travelled this route once at night, trust me its a horror).
Mashblue is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 01:27   #4
Team-BHP Support

On the way back you should have tried: Arsikere-CR Patna - Nelamangala. Its now the default route many take to head to Shimoga.

Kodchadri is beautiful in rains. Even we could visit the place only in winter. But yes its an awesome experience !

A few snaps from my side.

An Order of Magnitude: Man Vs Nature
Journey to the Malenadu!-img_3762_lr.jpg

The awesome range
Journey to the Malenadu!-img_3765_lr.jpg
Journey to the Malenadu!-img_3770_lr.jpg
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 17:23   #5
BHPian

Re: Journey to the Malenadu!

Goodness! We save and dream for Europe Tour, US Trip and what not, when there is so much to see in our own Country - in fact the state Karnataka itself! Thanks a lot for such beautiful pictures and also for educating us with so beautiful places. This is going to be my next trip for sure!
Zinda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 18:36   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjMusto View Post
Total kilometers: ~1200

Route: Bengaluru --> Chitradurga --> Shivamogga--> Thirthalli -->Kodachadri -->Kollur--> Murudeshwar--> Jog Falls--> Shivamogga --> Channarayanapatna --> Bengaluru
Super Travelogue AjMusto, Relived my trip to Shimoga few years back.
Just wondering why you didn't take the Tumkur > Tiptur route? Isn't it the shorter one?
chaith.turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 21:14   #7

Quote:
Wonderfully written and fantastic pictures , Such contrasting locations within one state.
Thank you Mashblue!!!True there are so many within Karnataka itself!!Wonder what else would be store in the entire country!!
Quote:
You are absolutely right about the Bhadravati - Arasikere - Tumkur route, the traffic on this route is insane most are lorries and buses being driven recklessly (I have travelled this route once at night, trust me its a horror).
It was a nightmare and it was in the evening where the trucks were on!! Due to single lane and many towns in between it significantly slows down the journey. It took almost 3 hours to travel between Bhadravati and Arsikere for a distance of about 90kms.

Quote:
On the way back you should have tried: Arsikere-CR Patna - Nelamangala. Its now the default route many take to head to Shimoga.
After Arsikere we then took the CR Patna-Nelamangala road and it was a breeze. Excellent roads and almost no traffic between Arsikere -CR Patna.It was a great decision after the Bhadravati-Arsikere experience.

Quote:
Kodchadri is beautiful in rains. Even we could visit the place only in winter. But yes its an awesome experience !
Awesome pictures ampere!! Yes Kodachadri is another heaven.Amazing views,trek and the jeep drive. All my colleagues thanked me for taking them to this place.

Thank you Zinda!!

Quote:
Goodness! We save and dream for Europe Tour, US Trip and what not, when there is so much to see in our own Country - in fact the state Karnataka itself!
Yes that is so true..There are so many different geographies in one state itself. To top it is the Western Ghats which has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage site!!

Quote:
Thanks a lot for such beautiful pictures and also for educating us with so beautiful places. This is going to be my next trip for sure!
Cool! Let me know if you need any help or any query when you are planning to go!

Quote:
Super Travelogue AjMusto, Relived my trip to Shimoga few years back.
Thank you chaith.turbo!!

Quote:
Just wondering why you didn't take the Tumkur > Tiptur route? Isn't it the shorter one?
Yes it a 30-40 kilometers shorter than the other routes but the traffic on the Bhadravati Arsikere after Tiptur definitely takes a toll and it takes almost the same time. Hence any day i would prefer the Chitradurga Shimoga road . The road is getting widened and newly laid hence in about a year it should be the best route.

Mod Note: Please try to avoid back to back posts as much as possible

Last edited by ampere : 9th June 2015 at 21:35. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 9th June 2015, 21:46   #8

Journey to the Malenadu!-around_thirthalli.png

Some of the amazing places around Thirthalli!!
Some we could cover some we could not.
But below is the entire list.

1) Sakrebyle elephant camp
2) Agumbe Sunset point(It is sometimes called "The Cherrapunji of the South")
3) Barkana falls
4) Jogi Gundi falls
5) Nagara Fort
6) Kavaledurga Fort
7) Kundadri Hill
8) Kodachadri Hill
9) Chiplukatte
10) Kuppalli(Great Poet Kuvempu's house)
AjMusto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2015, 21:12   #9
BHPian

Great stuff!!!
I am inspired to travel to these places during one of the upcoming long weekends, either September or October. I have even bookmarked this URL

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks