Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2015, 09:57   #16
BHPian

Re: Cruising the Kerala backwaters in a passenger boat - The "See Kuttanad" service

It is sad (but obvious) why such initiatives like "See Kuttanad" hardly get the publicity they deserve. The State Water Transport Department being a govermnent body has its own limitations but KeralaTourism with its big budgets and participation in worldwide tourism fairs and promotions can do its bit too to promote such initiatives The houseboat industry is all too dominant but as cs_rajesh in his previous post said, the two segments cater to two different segments altogether.

Speaking of houseboats, it was only today that I learned that the pioneeer of house boat tourism in Kerala, Mr Babu Varghese of Tour India , Trivandrum had passed away in October 2011. Mr Varghese was another unsung pioneer of the Kerala tourism industry and the current success of the houseboat tourism in Kerala is almost enitrely due to the vision of Mr Varghese. I had the occassion to meet him in the early 1990s after reading about him in Alexander Frater's "Chasing the Monsoon". Soon after, in 1995 my family had the opporunity to travel in one of the Tour India houseboat's from Alumkadavu near Karunagappally to Thotapally on the NH 47. Very sad to hear about his death.

http://archive.indianexpress.com/new...houses/864558/
TKMCE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 19:26   #17
BHPian

Re: Cruising the Kerala backwaters in a passenger boat - The "See Kuttanad" service

Thanks a lot for that. I spent my early years in Alapuzha and we used make frequent trips to Changanassery. The pretty road we now have used to be broken by ferry crossings. I used look forward to each ferry crossing though I have a feeling that my parents didnt share the same enthusiasm. The Kollam - Allepey service had caught my eye last year and I was hoping that I would a trip soon. But this seems to be a more practical one. Tops the list of my 'to do things'
Old 7th August 2015, 12:14   #18
BHPian

Thanks for this thread. I married from Alleppey 10 years ago and frequently go there, have done many house boat trips too. But never knew there existed such a round trip. I will do this in the coming weeks when we visit in-laws this Onam. Thanks a ton for sharing this.
Old 7th August 2015, 12:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Nice review. I used this service during my sightseeing visit to Alleppey in Dec 2014. The "See Kuttanad" service is really VFM and a lot cheaper than hiring a boat. The view from the upper deck is excellent.

However, the DTPC boat jetty looked dilapidated and can do with some renovation work. The water in the canal at the jetty also needs some cleanup from what I saw.
Old 14th August 2015, 17:27   #20
BHPian

I lived in Alleppey and studied in SDV Boys High School from 5th standard to 10th standard. Even now, I visit Alleppey monthly once at least and never knew of this service. With reasonable cost the ride for 2 hours is a brilliant one from the Government. The Publicity is not there for these kind of initiatives.
They can just put up about this in the news papers to attract more tourists, especially the ones who left Kerala for jobs will surely have a ride on this one.

I will plan for the same ride somewhere in the month of September. I will be there for Onam but might experience a rush due to school/college holidays.
Thanks for bringing this out and getting it to our notice. Cheers! Ananth.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks