Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2006, 19:33   #1
BHPian

NH 22 adventure from Delhi to Manali

Hi guys,

This one is going to be a short one but I will write a detailed write up when i get time.

Wanted to share my experience driving from New delhi-Manali-New delhi the route being New delhi->Chandigarh->Chail->Shimla->Kufri->Rampur->Thanedar->Sangla Valley->Karcham->Nako->Maling nala->Tabo->Kaza->Manali(Via Rohtang)->Chandigarh->New Delhi in my 2004 Scorpio. We started on 27th august 2006 early morning 6Am towards Chail(driving time 7 Hours Aprrox.) via Chandigarh. We stayed the night in chail and moved towards Thanedar early Morning on 28th August(The Village where the first Apple sappling in India was planted). The route to Thanedar is via Shimla, Kufri and Rampur. You take a detour off NH22 towards Thanedar ahead of Rampur, driving time approx. 4 Hours. The Highway NH 22 is in pretty good condition till about 40 KMs ahead of Rampur. We reached Thanedar at about 1 Pm and checked into one of Banjara retreats Hotels, which is the only place there is to stay in Thanedar. Rate per night is Rs.3000/- inclusive of all meals and taxes. The view from the hotel is magnificent and the Sunset from here is worth the experience. You will smell the heady perfume of Apple orchards which Thanedar is full off and there are Apple trees everywhere. In fact you can pluck apples off the trees and bite into one. The rooms are good and spacious. The next morning i.e. 29th august we got our packed lunch and got set to leave towards Sangla, our mistake here was that we listened to the locals and took a short cut towards the NH22 which was a short cut in terms of KMs but a pretty long cut in terms of time. however the Scenic beauty soon made us realize that it was worth it, however the road was only Jeepable, ie. no place for low ground clearence cars. anyways finally we were back on NH 22 and the strech till Karcham was very very good indeed with around just about 3-4Kms of Bad roads, with Land Slides etc. We had already called the Banjara camps in sangla and informed them that we were arriving. There are other options too to stay in Sangla like Kinner camps, Baikunath Camps etc. however Banjara are the best with a awesome view. When we reached Sangle we were greeted by a pleasent crew of Banjara Camps and they informed us that a part of the Main bridge connecting the Valley to Sangla was washed away by Flash floods. So the crew parked our vehicle in a safe place and they we walked and crossed the bridge and hopped into the Banjara Camps Tata Pickup and off we were to the Banjara camps situated on the Banks of the Baspa River. We reached the Camp in about 30 mins and were greeted by Apple Orchards yet again. The Valley is so beautiful, that I have no words to express it, I will post some pics soon. We chcked into our Tent which had a attached Bathroom and all the basic necessities. The charges per night here are Rs.3900/- Inclusive of all meals and taxes.

I will stop here and continue the rest of the journey tomorrow Hope you guys would find this write up useful.
Old 5th September 2006, 19:49   #2
Team-BHP Support

Nice trip. Few suggestions:

Give paragraph breaks. It's easy to read then.
Try to use pictures in between. That's help to relate.
Try to include some location (where you stayed) shots.
Try to put some landslide shots if you have. It'll give reader an idea of the roads.
Old 5th September 2006, 20:01   #3
BHPian

Thanks

Hi Rudra,

Thanks for the suggestions, however I was a bit confused on how to add the pics.
Old 5th September 2006, 20:09   #4
Team-BHP Support

Go through your write up. Go through your snaps. You'll know where to plug them.
Old 5th September 2006, 20:18   #5
BHPian

Pics

Bro,

I am not asking where to add the pics in the write up but how to to add the pics in T-BHP
Old 5th September 2006, 20:23   #6
Team-BHP Support

Amazing! You're more than one year old here. Must have checked hundreds of threads with photographs...

Try out www.imageshack.us

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks