Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2015, 14:38   #16
BHPian

Re: Mana Pass : A dream come true

Holy moly cow! super excited. Very few people actually know about the Mana pass, and you have been there. Aswesome. Eagerly awaiting day by day recount of your endurance trip. Let me know when you are in cob next
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 15:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

excellent write up Lalu! nicely written with dollops of pictures for us to drool over (love them pictures of the mountains). makes me wish to go up there someday

thank you for sharing this experience with us, loved it!
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 15:23   #18

Excellent pictures & travelogue. Another must visit place added to my list.
SachinMK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 16:53   #19
BHPian

Great write up and crisp pictures! Eagerly waiting for more.
Loved the picture where the snow capped peak is revealed through the clouds, absolutely stunning
worldcrawler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 17:23   #20
BHPian

OMG! Pictures are spectacular.

I used to visit Badrinath atleast once every year (been there more than 10 times) and each time I tried to go Mana Pass and spend some time, there used to be some or the other obstacle.

This adventure tickled the bone inside me to actually go there this time, but I guess have to wait till next year, as winters are started and probably not the best time to visit this place.

Thanks for sharing.
Ashdel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 18:20   #21
BHPian

Fantastic travelogue laluks !

Two days ago i'd watched Everest ( the movie) & your narration of "Gautama Dutta's" adventure distinctly reminded me of the film.

You have a knack of, not only taking "a road less traveled" but also of depicting the journey wonderfully well through script & breathtaking pictures. Many congratulations !!!

It would also help if a cost break up of the adventure can be obtained.
Nagesh Bhatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 19:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Wonderful thread sir ji !!

I have been following your posts on Facebook and the yummy photographs of Mana and surroundings had me hooked. Like many others, Mana Pass has been in my list for about two years now. I have been following Mr. Tilak Soni's posts on the HVK forum too to get as many details as possible, but I understand the trail to Mana Pass is still very elusive and only a few fortunate souls have been there.

Many Congratulations for this amazing feat.
Thanks //M. It was indeed a dream come true for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
While you were off to Mana Pass, I had been to Spiti on my motorcycle. While on my way back, I met a few bikers at Rohtang Pass who were riding all the way from Kerala. I stopped to take a break, took off my riding jacket to relax. I was wearing my Team-Bhp hoodie inside and one of the bikers I met there promptly asked me a question on seeing the hoodie, "Do you know laluks?"
Show us some pictures from Spiti. Spiti and Snow will be a killer combo.
And regarding the question - I seem to be famous down south

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Goosebumps!
That's was my reaction by my body even before the muscles of my mouth could help it utter the word "WOW"
Later my hand closed supported my chin before I froze for the next 20 minutes reading the post

How lucky are you guys!

After having completed the "fake highest motorable road" drive, I now dream of a drive on the "real highest motorable road" Thanks for giving me a dream

Hooked onto this thread for more pictures and words.
Thanks hemanth. I loved every bit of the adventure. One of the most cherished drive in a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Awesome travelogue @Laluks. I have been seeing your photographs on Facebook about Mana Pass but haven't really heard the entire story! I am glued to the thread to learn more. Please do write more about physical fitness/ preparations and if anything specifically you did for this trip considering high altitude.
Since there involved a bit of high altitude treks, I prepared for it by some amount of bicycling and switching to stairs in office. From 60 steps per day in the beginning to some 400steps per day it became towards the end. Bicycling I did a 200Km in under 14 hours three weeks before the trip to check my fitness. Also reduced a great deal of " bad habits".

This kind of helped me with a 10KM trek at Mana village at altitudes like 12000 feet and finally a 6 km trek at the pass at 18400+ feet. The last one really was tough and I could feel AMS a bit and me craving for more oxygen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45 View Post
Lalu

I am in absolute awe. Beautiful pics and what an adventure. This will remain as one of my best read threads.

Hats off.

Mansi
Thank you Mansi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Another awesome travelogue after a break.
Kudos to the bikers who dared bad roads and cold climate.
All the riders were amazing. You know we even had a Bajaj Scooter with us. You know who he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
Holy moly cow! super excited. Very few people actually know about the Mana pass, and you have been there. Aswesome. Eagerly awaiting day by day recount of your endurance trip. Let me know when you are in cob next
Thank You.
Cob? You mean Cobweb ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
excellent write up Lalu! nicely written with dollops of pictures for us to drool over (love them pictures of the mountains). makes me wish to go up there someday

thank you for sharing this experience with us, loved it!
Thank you. You must try this, this is way better than the hyped Leh Circuit. But Permissions are tough to come by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SachinMK View Post
Excellent pictures & travelogue. Another must visit place added to my list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcrawler View Post
Great write up and crisp pictures! Eagerly waiting for more.
Loved the picture where the snow capped peak is revealed through the clouds, absolutely stunning
Thank You guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashdel View Post
OMG! Pictures are spectacular.

I used to visit Badrinath atleast once every year (been there more than 10 times) and each time I tried to go Mana Pass and spend some time, there used to be some or the other obstacle.

This adventure tickled the bone inside me to actually go there this time, but I guess have to wait till next year, as winters are started and probably not the best time to visit this place.

Thanks for sharing.
You need to get your permissions and should have a capable vehicle too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagesh Bhatt View Post
Fantastic travelogue laluks !

Two days ago i'd watched Everest ( the movie) & your narration of "Gautama Dutta's" adventure distinctly reminded me of the film.

You have a knack of, not only taking "a road less traveled" but also of depicting the journey wonderfully well through script & breathtaking pictures. Many congratulations !!!

It would also help if a cost break up of the adventure can be obtained.
Gautama Datta's adventure was not narrated by me. I just quoted the same from its source.

Regarding costs, it was 17K Delhi - Delhi, all inclusive.
laluks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th November 2015, 09:00   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

beautiful place and great travelogue. Not having pics 1st hand enhances the lure of this place. With every passing week, the time spent reading travelogues increases and has a direct impact on my 'to drive' list. Looks like I might have to take a year long sabbatical and clear up the backlog before it begins to overflow
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2015, 13:02   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

I drove right to the 'LAST INDIAN VILLAGE' sign the last time I visited Badrinath but somehow never noticed the right turn!

Perhaps that was for a reason

Looking forward to more pics and details of your trek at the pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post

You must try this, this is way better than the hyped Leh Circuit. But Permissions are tough to come by.

You need to get your permissions and should have a capable vehicle too.

Can you please elaborate on the permissions part?
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2015, 15:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
beautiful place and great travelogue. Not having pics 1st hand enhances the lure of this place. With every passing week, the time spent reading travelogues increases and has a direct impact on my 'to drive' list. Looks like I might have to take a year long sabbatical and clear up the backlog before it begins to overflow
Thank You.
Wishing you all luck in clearing your Drive wish list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I drove right to the 'LAST INDIAN VILLAGE' sign the last time I visited Badrinath but somehow never noticed the right turn!

Perhaps that was for a reason

Looking forward to more pics and details of your trek at the pass.

Can you please elaborate on the permissions part?
More pictures coming up as the day by day account starts.
Permissions have to be obtained from ITBP DG office in Delhi, ILP from UK state authorities and Clearance from DIG office in Dehradun
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2015, 16:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

Day 0 : 19th September 2015
Bangalore - Delhi

Enthusiasm for the trip, never let me sleep. Was awake through out the night, waiting for it to be time to start the journey. Left home by 04:30AM to catch the Airport Volvo at 05:00AM. Reached Bangalore Airport by 06:30AM and went to the Indigo check in counter and presented myself. I was booked on the 08:00AM flight to Delhi, to reach Delhi by 11:00AM.

I was picked up from Delhi T1 by SSTravellor. We went to nearby McD and had a lengthy gossip session. After that SSTravellor dropped me at Aerocity Metro station.

I took a metro towards Dwaraka as advised. From there I took a blue line towards Kaushambi where I had my room booked. Why Kaushambi? It was because the designated meeting point was in front of Pacific Mall.

Huffing and puffing the metro reached Kaushambi in about 2 hours. It was fun being in the metro, which for Bangalore is still a dream! The gladiator war at Rajiv Chowk was quite interesting . I switched over at Yamuna Bank to another line running towards Vaishali and reached Kaushambi. Overall a pleasant experience and no hassles.

By 16:00 hours I reached my hotel, which was right opposite to Pacific Mall. A no frills hotel with a decent bed and bath. After relaxing for a while I decided to checkout the mall.

Mana Pass :  A dream come true-20150919_210150.jpg

Roamed around in the mall, got bored and went to food court. Got some Chole Battura for dinner. Food was outright ridiculous. Shocked and Bored I decided to kill some more time by watching a movie at Big Cinemas. The only film that had a ticket available was at 20:00PM for Katti Batti. The counter boy warned me not to indulge, but I dared myself to it.

Mana Pass :  A dream come true-20150919_205823.jpg

It was just me and another three guys for the show in the entire theater . By 22:30 finished with another disappointment and went back to the room for a nice sleep.

Next day the meeting was scheduled at 05:00AM in front of the mall. Since I did not unpack much it was easy for the next day.
Old 7th November 2015, 17:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Day 1 : 20th September 2015
Delhi - Gauchar

All set by 04:30AM. Checked out of the hotel and walked towards Pacific Mall. Already Tilak was there at the meeting point. Alok and his Thar was also there along with the two bullets and riders.

We waited for a while to get the group join in and got introduced to each other. I was meeting all of them for the first time. I had met Tilak once during my previous drive to Uttarakhand. By 05:30AM XUV 500 joined in and we started the drive.

Alok offered me a seat in his Thar, and that changed my trip and happiness forever. It was perfect. We slowly engaged in some conversations and became comfortable, it matters a lot. It is a long and adventurous drive and we both had to complementing each other.

After a bit of drive we stopped at Moolchands, Bahadarpur, Uttar Pradesh for Breakfast by 07:00AM. Approximately 100Kms from Pacific Mall.

Moolchands Resort
Mana Pass :  A dream come true-20150920_074958edit.jpg

Breakfast

Mana Pass :  A dream come true-img20150920wa0011edit.jpg

Fortuner team also joins in
Mana Pass :  A dream come true-img20150920wa0012edit.jpg

New Friends

Mana Pass :  A dream come true-img20150920wa0009edit.jpg

After a leisure breakfast we started towards UK by 08:00AM. After about 50Kms and one hour we had to take a look at the rear tyre, and there was a nail stuck into the tyre.

Alok and his Thar
Mana Pass :  A dream come true-20150920_084935edit.jpg

After checking the tyre and fixing the puncture we drove on towards Rishikesh. It was approximately 70Kms to Rishikesh.

continued...
Old 7th November 2015, 18:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

Delhi - Gauchar

We took a bye pass route through Cheela Colony.

Tilak signalling us for a group halt
Mana Pass :  A dream come true-dsc_9573edit.jpg

Cheela Dam Spill way
Mana Pass :  A dream come true-dsc_9574edit.jpg

Mana Pass :  A dream come true-dsc_9575edit.jpg

Team having a break and enjoying the cool breeze
Mana Pass :  A dream come true-dsc_9577edit.jpg

We cross over the river bed of a tributary of Ganges
Mana Pass :  A dream come true-dsc_9584edit.jpg

Spillway seems to be underground at this point
Mana Pass :  A dream come true-dsc_9585edit.jpg

Tilak leading the way
Mana Pass :  A dream come true-dsc_9587edit.jpg

XUV and Fortuner following
Mana Pass :  A dream come true-dsc_9589edit.jpg

Off we drive along the Cheela Dam Spillway
Mana Pass :  A dream come true-dsc_9590edit.jpg

Mana Pass :  A dream come true-dsc_9592edit.jpg

Finally we reached the designated meeting point at Rishikesh by 11:00AM

continued...
laluks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2015, 18:55   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Day 0 : 19th September 2015
Bangalore - Delhi

Roamed around in the mall, got bored and went to food court. Got some Chole Battura for dinner. Food was outright ridiculous. Shocked and Bored I decided to kill some more time by watching a movie at Big Cinemas. The only film that had a ticket available was at 20:00PM for Katti Batti. The counter boy warned me not to indulge, but I dared myself to it.
Hi Lalu,

Although I understand you were just killing time , but there is another Mall (Mahagun ) in nearby Vaishali. It's food court is much better.

It is hardly 5 min by auto/rickshaw.

Thanks.
vaasu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2015, 18:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

Delhi - Gauchar

Gurkha joins the team
Mana Pass :  A dream come true-dsc_9594edit.jpg

Bajaj Scooter joins the convoy

Mana Pass :  A dream come true-dsc_9598edit.jpg