Getaway to Sirukundram - Nirar dam - Balaji temple - Monkey falls-capture.jpg
Time flows like a river running wild,
My mind swimming
Swimming like a child,
I'm asking myself why oh why?
Everything passes, by and by
But memories never die
(Lyrics from a popular song)

A family of four planned a trip to create new memories. This being the first trip after the 4th member was added to the family. And the member hadnt completed a year.
Close enough destinations that can ensure detoxification and re-energizing were charted. Thanks to @jacs, @laluks and @NPV's better half. Decision was to stay at wooden chalets @briar estate in Sirukundarm for 3 days. Interspersed the three days with travelling to nearby places. Would avoid talking about Valparai town, Sholayar, neelamudi Poonjolai as there are very detailed information in other beautiful travelogues. Would stick to Nirar Dam, Balaji temple and Monkey falls.
Day1
We left Coimbatore @ 10:30 Am. The route is simple and map attached below.
Getaway to Sirukundram - Nirar dam - Balaji temple - Monkey falls-triproute.jpg
Roads to Pollachi and thereon were beautiful. Aliyar to Valaprai is great as well. The 4 km stretch from valparai town to sirukundram is patchy. Nonetheless motorable.
dangerous curves to tackle
Getaway to Sirukundram - Nirar dam - Balaji temple - Monkey falls-img_2050.jpg
few more.
Getaway to Sirukundram - Nirar dam - Balaji temple - Monkey falls-img_2051.jpg
few + some more. Thats Aliyar - birds eye view
Getaway to Sirukundram - Nirar dam - Balaji temple - Monkey falls-img_2052.jpg
few + some + many more
Getaway to Sirukundram - Nirar dam - Balaji temple - Monkey falls-img_2055.jpg
Our lightning encountered a strange signboard
Getaway to Sirukundram - Nirar dam - Balaji temple - Monkey falls-img_2056.jpg
And then it was for real...holy moly cow!
Getaway to Sirukundram - Nirar dam - Balaji temple - Monkey falls-img_2059.jpg

Reached Sirukundram bungalow by 13:30. The place had 3 caretakers, one butler and one chef. Cell phone connectivity is 0. Any calls to them need to be done from Valparai town. Lunch was ready by the time we reached.
Getaway to Sirukundram - Nirar dam - Balaji temple - Monkey falls-img_1997.jpg
Nirar Dam: We drove to Nirar dam at 15:30. Its a good 30 minute drive in the opposite direction from the town. A checkpost greets you before the descent. Entry fee of 10 per head is collected. The roads from there on is very bad. Two tea factories are encountered during this descent. They collect a fee of 50 rupees to show you the process of team preparation.
The dam photos of upper Nirar have been captured very well by few fellow team-bhpians. What we did was hired a guide and wanted to go into the bowels of the dam (lower Nirar). This is how it looks.
<continue music from the song>
I take a train into the past
i get off somewhere, but am lost
</music>
Getaway to Sirukundram - Nirar dam - Balaji temple - Monkey falls-img_1982.jpg
Getaway to Sirukundram - Nirar dam - Balaji temple - Monkey falls-img_1977.jpg
This is just before we enter the tunnel under the dam
Getaway to Sirukundram - Nirar dam - Balaji temple - Monkey falls-img_2136.jpg
And there we are - temperature drops by 4 degrees
Getaway to Sirukundram - Nirar dam - Balaji temple - Monkey falls-img_1984.jpg

altitude drops by 30 feet
Getaway to Sirukundram - Nirar dam - Balaji temple - Monkey falls-img_1985.jpg

thats years of slime on the walls to the left. This is right under the mid-point of the dam. Water gushing maybe 50 feet above us.
A salute to the engineers who built this master piece.
Getaway to Sirukundram - Nirar dam - Balaji temple - Monkey falls-img_1986.jpg

Day2:
Drive to Balaji temple and Sholayar. Will stick to Balaji temple here. Most of our neigbours were like "hey..dont miss the Balaji temple while you are there". so off we go. This is a private estate temple situated on top of a hillock. Mist gathers fast here. 7 Kms from the main road. Road conditions are bad..wait no - "the worst". Our lightning's michelins were slices in the outer halves. After a crawl upwards, a checkpost is reached. A small parking lot present. Vehicles need to be parked here and then its a climb upwards for ~500 meters. Some pictures:
Getaway to Sirukundram - Nirar dam - Balaji temple - Monkey falls-img_2004.jpg
view during the final lap climb
Getaway to Sirukundram - Nirar dam - Balaji temple - Monkey falls-img_2003.jpg
Getaway to Sirukundram - Nirar dam - Balaji temple - Monkey falls-img_2006.jpg
a small well
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2006.JPG
Views:	777
Size:	959.1 KB
ID:	1445789
photography at the temple is not allowed. hence some snaps from faraway.
Getaway to Sirukundram - Nirar dam - Balaji temple - Monkey falls-img_2007.jpg
Getaway to Sirukundram - Nirar dam - Balaji temple - Monkey falls-img_2008.jpg
Getaway to Sirukundram - Nirar dam - Balaji temple - Monkey falls-img_2009.jpg
there is a parking lot just outside the temple. Its the privileged and distinguished who are allowed to park here. Read estate employees and government officials.
Getaway to Sirukundram - Nirar dam - Balaji temple - Monkey falls-img_2011.jpg
This one pic is from Sholayar. As many have already said, its closed to public. But you could walk down towards the lever/shutter and have some quite moment near the monumental dam-fall marvelling the effort of those engineers and workers who built this.
Getaway to Sirukundram - Nirar dam - Balaji temple - Monkey falls-img_2153.jpg
Day3: Monkey falls. Good place to spend 2 - 3 hours. Come in with a towel. Take a bath. Spread that picnic towel of yours. Much some healthy snack. Once you had your fill, pack up and get back.
Getaway to Sirukundram - Nirar dam - Balaji temple - Monkey falls-img_2066.jpg
Getaway to Sirukundram - Nirar dam - Balaji temple - Monkey falls-monkeyfalls.png

Thanks for reading and spending your valuable time. Hope you enjoyed as much as we did.
A travelogue is incomplete without sincere thanks to the person who made it happen! A parting shot of an all time classic
Getaway to Sirukundram - Nirar dam - Balaji temple - Monkey falls-img_1995.jpg
Time flows like a river running wild,
My mind swimming
Swimming like a child,
I watch the yesterdays go by..
like moving patterns in the sky.
Coz memories never die!

Last edited by FuelInjector : 1st December 2015 at 12:06.
FuelInjector is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 13:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Getaway to Sirukundram - Nirar dam - Balaji temple - Monkey falls

Boss - So you have pulled out some time to compile a quick travelogue? And you got see the Nilagiri Tahrs too which I missed in both my recent trips.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 19:08   #3
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Ah, good to see this travelogue! Seems like you had a good time, nice photos and good account of your trip, Thanks for Sharing!
I shared a travelogue of our trip to Valparai too, not sure if you found anything useful there for your trip.

The newest member of the family went on a road trip before turning even a year old - it's in the blood I think, a budding future BHP enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
@NPV's better half.
Hmmm, so there seems to be some detailed background conversations about road trips going on in the Home Ministry!
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 01:56   #4
BHPian

A quick travelogue for a quick trip! Nilgiri Thars welcomed you & posed too! Lucky you
Pictures have come well. Seeing the pictures of the tunnel for the first time! Thanks for sharing.
Raaj* is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 09:57   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Boss - So you have pulled out some time to compile a quick travelogue? And you got see the Nilagiri Tahrs too which I missed in both my recent trips.
Thanks Jacs. i must say your travelogue was influential. Yes, the Nilgiri thars was a good encounter. They climb rocky mountains easily. I especially loved the expression on their faces. It was like "please save us - we are endangered".

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Ah, good to see this travelogue! Seems like you had a good time, nice photos and good account of your trip, Thanks for Sharing!
I shared a travelogue of our trip to Valparai too, not sure if you found anything useful there for your trip.

The newest member of the family went on a road trip before turning even a year old - it's in the blood I think, a budding future BHP enthusiast

Hmmm, so there seems to be some detailed background conversations about road trips going on in the Home Ministry!
Thanks. Yes. Your travelogue was utilized, however the home ministry talks were more influential . Did you finalize your December-end trip?
The newest member was the most enthusiastic. She almost jumped into the Dam waters @Nirar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raaj* View Post
A quick travelogue for a quick trip! Nilgiri Thars welcomed you & posed too! Lucky you
Pictures have come well. Seeing the pictures of the tunnel for the first time! Thanks for sharing.
Yes. The tunnels are a must visit. Especially if you are interested in engineering and little bit of history. The guide explains like a story taken our from "Lingaa" movie
FuelInjector is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks