Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2016, 20:17   #16
BHPian

Re: Details! Shorter New Route to Kathmandu, Nepal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf9 View Post
Does this good road further extend till Narayanghat or Butwal. Can you please confirm?
This town, Bardibas, lies in the Mahottari District. Its a meeting point of 4 roads and hence, there's quite a development of infrastructure recently. Eastwards from Bardibas will take you to Siliguri in India. About 25km south will take you to Sursand which lies in India across Jaleswor, the headquarter of Mahottari district. This road runs through Gausala (Bardibas-Gausala-Jaleswor-Sursand-Sitamarhi-Muzaffarpur). Northwards is Kathmandu through this newly constructed road. Westwards is Narayanghat which is about 215km from Bardibas. Butwal is further 116 west of Narayanghat.

Narayanghat to Mugling section of Narayanghat is being upgraded to 4 lane and the road is closed for several hours a day result in massive traffic jam. If you are traveling from east of Nepal, Bardibas-Kathmandu is the perfect choice. Apart from this, there is Hetauda-Kulekhani-Kathmandu and Hetauda-Damam-Kathmandu road. Both these roads are dangerous. The one through Kulekhani requires a GC of at least 200mm. I traveled through this road last week. Its in bad shape but perfect for those who seek adventure. I saw a couple of Indian vehicles, one Ford Figo and another i10. They were having a nightmare.
Old 3rd November 2018, 16:54   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi BHPians!

Planning to enter Nepal through Raxaul/ Birgunj border and travel to Kathmandu & Nagarkote. Spend a couple of days there & then drive to Darjeeling from Nagarkot/ Kathmandu.

Can someone with experience suggest the best route. Feel free to slightly alter the plan if required. I shall be driving a Civic (essentially to say it will be a low ground clearange sedan with no 4WD capability).

Thanks!
Old 17th August 2020, 12:16   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
Hi guys, I just came back from a quick road trip from Siliguri (W.B) to Kathmandu (Nepal) via a new route which was officially opened a few months ago. This new route is not only shorter, but also much more beautiful and scenic. And since it is a fairly new road, the surface is very good and its got very little traffic. This is a very significant road for all travellers. Not only does it cut travel time by 4-5 hours, but now it is possible to easily travel to Kathmandu from East Nepal in one single day without an overnight stop. The travel time via the old route would have been approx 14.5-16 hrs. With this new route, its approx 9.5-10.5 hrs.
Hi, I am planning a trip to Nepal from Assam by the end of this year by my own car. Could you please give some input on procurement of Bhansar and from where did you get the green number plate.

Thanks
Regards
Old 19th August 2020, 12:30   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asif_mir View Post
Hi, I am planning a trip to Nepal from Assam by the end of this year by my own car. Could you please give some input on procurement of Bhansar and from where did you get the green number plate.

Thanks
Regards
After reaching the Border area called Panitanki, you cross the India/Nepal Friendship Bridge. As soon as you cross the bridge there is a right side road that leads to the Nepal Customs Building. There are also signs posted so it should not be hard to find. Do keep in mind, a second bridge is being build next to the existing bridge so lots of diversions and road work happening.

Once inside the Customs Complex, ask anyone to show you the way to get the form for the Multi day car permit. It is a small shed near the gate of the complex. There they will fill the form for you in Nepali and give you the form to take to the main Customs building (Cost INR 20-30). Here you have mention the total number of days you will want the permit for. Normally a 7 day permit is easily given. Any longer and you will have to give them reasons as to why you require a longer permit. Not a big issue, they easily gave me a 14 day permit once I explained to them my full itinerary.

With that completed form you head into the main Customs building. There the officer will check details and sign it. Then you take the form to the cash counter. The rate is approx INR 340 per day, paid in advance in full. Then you are done. With the completed, signed, stamped form, you cross into Nepal.

To get the green number plate. You enter Nepal and 1 km along the highway you will come across a small Nepal Police Checkpost. There they will register your car details and issue you a Green Number plate. Cost INR 35. This plate is to be displayed at all times.

Another thing to note is that after driving for approx 30kms from the border, you will come across a town called Birtamod. You wont miss it as its right on the East West Highway. After crossing the main roundabout in Birtamod, on your left side, 500m from the roundabout, there should be a transport office. Its not right on the highway, you need to take a side road to get to it, but if you ask anyone for Yatayat (Transport) office the locals will guide you. There you have to pay INR 400-500 to get a receipt. Now this receipt is regularly used by the Nepal police to extort money. Nobody mentions the requirement for this receipt, but 250 kms down the road you will come to a police check post where they will check your papers and if this receipt is missing, then they will try to extort some money from you. Ant there will be a risk of this repeating at every police checkpost you face from then onward. So its important for you peace of mind to find this Transport office in Birtamod. It might be listed on GMaps also but I have not checked.

Panitanki Border opens at 6 AM everyday. Customs is open 7 days. Border closes at 8 pm every day.

Last edited by amrisharm : 19th August 2020 at 12:33.
amrisharm is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks