Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2016, 16:03   #1
BHPian

A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)

This journey was the solution to a long history of sleep loss coupled with lower back pain and an occasional migraine. I decided I would be going for Ayurvedic treatment, especially the Abhyanga (body massage). Google searches and emails went on for over a week, until I zeroed in on Kannur Ayurvedic Center at Kalpetta, Wayanad.

Started for that place on the morning of 10-May-16 from home in Rajajinagar, Bengaluru. With my family backing out, it was me solo all the way.

That was one blissful 7- hr drive, with a handful of bothersome road- widening diversions between Mysuru and Nanjangud only. Heavy rain broke out once I crossed Bandipur forest, a great change from the sweltering heat of the drive.

Kannur Ayurvedic Center is a small but a clean, nice campus with good standard rooms, probably owing to the foreign clients who show up now and then.

A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0772.png

The doctor (Dr. Vinod Babu) commenced treatment that evening itself with a session of Abyanga followed by a steam bath. The latter is done by getting into a wooden box with only your head popping out while steamy vapors condense all over your body, forcing perspiration of the most intense kind. You emerge from the steam bath feeling you lost something- heck, that's your body's stress now missing!

Food was traditional Kerala menu- Puttu/ Appam/ Idlis/ boiled rice, somewhat customizable to your liking.

Over the next 3 days, I went thru an Abhyanga, steam bath and a Nasti (nasal drops) daily. There were of course those regular knocks on my room door for handing over a cup of Kashayam (bitter drink) and tablets for my migraine.

Lots of birds seem to have made the campus their home. Was thrilled to find a pair of Malabar grey Hornbills calling outside my room balcony the third day morning. Rushed back and grabbed my camera in time to get them in the poses you see here.

A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0755.png
A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0761.png
A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0765.png
A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0766.png

Racket- tailed Drongos (one sadly with a branch of its tail missing!) had also dropped by the previous day.

A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0697.png
A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0701-modified.png

Decided to wander around Pookote lake, Vythiri (~10 km away) on the 3rd day morning. I was early enough so it was no problem finding a parking slot.
Decided to walk all around the lake and click.

A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0730.png
A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0736.png
A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0725.png
A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0720.png
A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0740.png
A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0750.png

On the 4th day (13th May), the doctor told me to check out Uravu, a village engaged in bamboo- products making, some 12 km away. I jumped at the idea as Bamboo has always evoked design thinking in me.

To reach Uravu from Kalpetta, head back towards Mysuru on the NH-212. Get off the NH-212 at Muttil and take the road going towards Meppadi (follow the signboard on the NH-212 for this) and do some 5 km on a so- so road to reach Uravu.

Bamboo takes some 30 years to mature after which one may use the stems for construction of roof canopies and such. Mature Bamboo is treated with Borax under high pressure in a long vessel like that seen here.

A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0776.png

The pressure level and cycle duration depend on the average wall thickness of the stem. Utility products however require semi- mature (green) Bamboo so the cut rods and strips as seen here are flexible enough.

A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0797.png
A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0800.png
A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0801.png
A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0802.png

Nevertheless green Bamboo also needs a cycle of chemical treatment and this is done by boiling in Borax solution for a few hours in tanks like that seen here.

A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0796.png

Skilled workers are busy weaving the rods and strips as seen in the pics here.

A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0799.png
A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0805.png

The products are many, from curtain blinds thru lamp shades, key holders, baskets and even Bamboo pens (just imagine the tons of Reynolds/ Luxor plastic disposable ones) as seen in the pics here.

A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0803.png
A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0780.png
A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0783.png
A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0785.png
A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0788.png
A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0795.png
A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0809.png
A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0808.png
A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)-img_0810.png

That was one rejuvenating journey (physically and mentally too). De- stress over, time to re- stress myself had come. Checked out on Sat, 14th May morning and was home by 1700 after tanking up at Mysuru.
DrVjy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 16:37   #2
BHPian

re: A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)

Thank you for this nice travelogue.
Hope your rejuvenation trip gives you a lasting relief Dr
What was your ride?
Old 18th May 2016, 17:01   #3
BHPian

re: A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
What was your ride?
Thanks, @Prowler. I drive a Hyundai i10 D'lite (manual steering, manual windows). Simple but a good performer.
DrVjy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 12:57   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)

Looks like the perfect break to r-e-l-a-x.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVjy View Post
The doctor (Dr. Vinod Babu) commenced treatment that evening itself with a session of Abyanga followed by a steam bath.
Am a big massage lover (especially the Kerala style). Nothing quite as relaxing. There's a Kerala Ayurveda center next to where I live, and also in Deolali (where we go frequently).

Quote:
Food was traditional Kerala menu- Puttu/ Appam/ Idlis/ boiled rice, somewhat customizable to your liking.

Quote:
for my migraine
Did it go away after the visit?

Quote:
De- stress over, time to re- stress myself had come

Thanks for sharing! Very interesting travelogue.
Old 19th May 2016, 13:33   #5
BHPian

Re: A 315 km drive to Rejuvenation, Birds & Bamboo (Kannur Ayurvedic Center, Wayanad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Looks like the perfect break to r-e-l-a-x.
Thanks, GTO. The migraine is now knocked out, hopefully for ever. Yes, nature- rich Wayanad is one great place for a quick break ex- Bengaluru.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks