Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2016, 18:50   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tranquebar: Danish touch to my East Coast wandering

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulcrum.xyz View Post
Dr.AD great travelogue, very thorough and with impeccable pictures - loved it !!!
Thank you very much.

Quote:
Tranquebar and bungalow on the beach in our next holiday destination
Great! You will enjoy it. As I mentioned, for those looking for something different than the usual resorts and hotels, this place a good option. It lacks some amenities and "things to do" that many other destinations/resorts offer, but makes up for that with its unique historical and cultural heritage and just the unique character of the place.

Since many of you have mentioned you would like to go there, I thought I should share some "tips for fellow travelers" that might be relevant:

1. Weather: When we were there, the weather was not ideal; it was hot and humid. It was not too bad, but not ideal either. Make sure you do some search on local weather before you plan your trip. This place would be a lot more fun in better weather.

2. Roads: The roads we drove on were not fun to drive in some sections. From Pondicherry to Tranquebar, the ECR was extremely crowded, especially while passing the town of Cuddalore. And while returning, the roads were not only crowded but also bad in terms of the surface. The stretch of SH70 from Chidambaram to Virudhachalam was absolutely terrible - the road was all broken with huge potholes everywhere. We were practically driving through potholes for about 30km. It looked like some road work had just begun, so hopefully this road will be fixed in future. However, in general, if I have to go to Tranquebar again, I would try my best to avoid this road. Maybe I would try the longer route via Trichi and Namakkal. Just a thought.

3. Rooms: Each room in the Bungalow on the Beach is different. So there is no such thing as booking a standard room. Make sure you read the room descriptions from their website and pick the room that you like the most. In general, the rooms on the first floor are ideal, and even among those, the ones facing the sea are the best! However, regardless of the room you pick, the bungalow is a nice place to hang out with your family/friends.

4. Crowds: As I mentioned, the fort and the surroundings got very crowded in the evening. On the other hand, there was no crowd whatsoever in the morning. So the best time to visit the fort would be in the morning, as soon as it opens at 10:00 AM. And the best time to take a walk around the town would be even before that, maybe around 9:00 AM or so. This way, you not only avoid the crowd but also the heat! Thus, the ideal itinerary would be to take a walk around the place in the morning, then go to the fort, and then spend the afternoon indoors. And the evenings could be best enjoyed just sitting in the balcony of the bungalow and watching the sea and the fort from there.

If these things are taken care of, this will be a very fun trip.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 28th August 2016 at 18:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks