Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2016, 23:16   #1
BHPian

Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4

To break the monotony of our work life, we four friends decided to drive to Gajapati and Ganjam districts of Odisha and explore some of the tourist spots over there. After much adjustments regarding leaves (we are all working in shifts), the dates were finalized as 20th and 21st August.

Just before one day prior to the trip, we saw that we can also manage a leave on 19th August and planned to visit Baruva also, which is a virgin beach in Andhra Pradesh and very near to Odisha border.

Our ride was my one month old Black Scorpio S4+ 4wd.

Day 1:
On 19th August, we started at 1300 hours from Talcher and our plan was to reach Baruva which is around 365km from Talcher via Bhubaneswar. We took the conventional NH-149 and NH-55 road till Manguli Square. This stretch of road is in very bad shape due to recent rains and full of potholes.

From Manguli Square, we took the NH-16/AH45 route which goes through Cuttack and Bhubaneswar. The surface of the road is buttery smooth and one can maintain a good speed on this tarmac. There have been numerous flyovers made on this road in the Cuttack-Bhubaneswar stretch, which helps to avoid the traffic of the twin city to a great extent.

After entering the AP border, one needs to take a left turn from NH6/AH45 in between Lakkavaram and Korlam and continue on NH5 Sompeta road via Baruva for around 5 km to reach Baruva. We reached APTDC Haritha resort, Baruva where we had our booking, around 7 p.m. The drive from Talcher to Baruva was quite uneventful as most of the drive was through NH16 where you need only to hold the steering wheel and enjoy the smooth tarmac.

We were tired as well as hungry. So, after taking a stroll in the beach, we had a sumptuous dinner and called it a day.

Some pictures from Day 1:
Tea break on NH 16
Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-img_20160819_174222.jpg

Butter smooth surface on NH16
Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dscn2880.jpg

Got to see a brother
Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dscn2851.jpg

Finally we reached our destination
Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dsc_0092.jpg

Night crab hunting at beach
Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dscn2908.jpg

Day 2:

We woke up early in the morning, and in the sunlight Baruva exposed itself in its full glory.

View from our suite
Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dsc_0062.jpg

Baruva was used as a seaport in the era of British colonial rule in India up to 1948. A light house has been constructed next to the beach resort. Baruva's beach is one of the oldest in Andhra Pradesh.

The uniqueness of Baruva is that it is a virgin beach and almost free from any crowd. We four were the only people on the beach other than the local fishermen. Mahendra Tanaya River submerges in Bay of Bengal at this place. The color of sea is totally different at Baruva from what one can experience in regular tourist places like Puri or Gopalpur. I will let the pictures do the talking now.

My beast got a scenic parking spot
Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dsc_0048.jpg

Haritha beach resort
Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dsc_0055.jpg

And there were crabs
Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dsc_0076.jpg

Sangam of Mahendra Tanaya River with Bay of Bengal
Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dsc_0082.jpg

Fishermen busy in discussions
Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dscn2932.jpg

Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dscn2926.jpg

Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dsc_0074.jpg
After enjoying in the sea beach and having our breakfast, we started from Baruva towards our next destination. Our next destination was Gandahati waterfall in Gajapati district of Odisha, which is around 55 km from Baruva.

I was blindly following the Google Maps and made a blunder. Soon, I was tackling roads like this.
Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dscn2939.jpg

The road was really narrow and broken. Since, it is monsoon time and Odisha is full of greeneries, the drive was enjoyable inspite of the horrible road. One should go to Parlekhamundi from Bauva and from there follow the NH 326A to reach Gandahati waterfall. Though some tens of km will be added to the route, but the road surface would be much much better than what we encountered.

The place is famous for the glittering water fall, which is famous water fall in Odisha and this is enclosed by dense green forest.

Some pictures on the way of Gandahati waterfall. It was green, green and more green. But, the roads continued to be bad.
Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dsc_0103.jpg

Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dsc_0107.jpg

Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dsc_0114.jpg

Finally we arrived at our destination and the waterfall was a treat to the eyes.
Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dscn2954.jpg

Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dscn2973.jpg

My beast got company
Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dscn2983.jpg

Our next destination was the Tibetan Monastery in Chandragiri. The distance of Chandragiri from Gandahati waterfall is around 72 km. Again I followed Google maps, but this time intentionally. While the silky smooth NH 326A goes directly to Chandragiri, Google was suggesting SH 22 which goes through a Ghat section. I could not resist myself and took this route. The road was again narrow and the surface was uneven, but soon we were gifted with this.
Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dsc_0136.jpg

The hills full of green were beautiful
Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dsc_0144.jpg

Got bhp? Yours truly is at far left
Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dscn2996.jpg

After a thrilling drive, we reached Chandragiri.

In the green valley of Gajapati district of Orissa, Chandragiri is famous for the Tibetan settlement and for the Buddhist monastery located by the side of it. There is a village of Tibetan settlement and as per history they came here in Nineteen Sixties after Chinese invasion of Tibet. With the help from local government these refugees settled here. Their main business is cultivation, growing fruits, livestock and handicrafts. Photography is prohibited inside the main temple hall. The monastery is locally known as Jeerango temple.
Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dscn3005.jpg

Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dscn3008.jpg

Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dscn3015.jpg

From Chandragiri, we started towards Berhampore. Our final destination for the day was Gopalpur. On the way, around 35 km from Chandragiri, we visited taptapani, the hot water spring.

Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dscn3019.jpg

Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dscn3023.jpg

From Taptapani, we drove down to Gopalpur, which is around 75km. We had our booking at Mayfair, Gopalpur which is undoubtedly the best place to stay in Gopalpur. On the way to Gopalpur, we had to travel through Berhampore city, where we encountered some really mad traffic in very congested roads.

Once in Gopalpur, it is always bliss to check in to Mayfair. This property never fails to amaze me with its luxurious buildings, private beach and a marvelous restaurant.

We had our dinner and called it a day.
DrivingNirvana is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 23:28   #2
BHPian

re: Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4

Day 3:

Next day, we woke up and directly went to the beach after having breakfast. We had a gala time over there playing and bathing in the sea. The Gopalpur beach is not that much friendly for taking a bath, but Mayfair is having their own ‘Noliah’ to help you out in case of any problem.

My Scorpio glowing after a morning wash
Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dsc_0153.jpg

Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dscn3035.jpg

We enjoyed a lot in the sea
Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dscn3040.jpg

We left Gopalpur around 11 am. Our next destination was Tara Tarini temple in Ganjam district, which is situated on the top of a hill. The drive to Tara Tarini Temple is always enjoyable as the road is full of twists and turns. One can have a breath taking view of Rushikulya River from the hill top.

On the way to Tara Tarini Temple
Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dsc_0158.jpg

The main temple
Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dsc_01661.jpg

Rushikulya River from the hill top
Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-dsc_0160.jpg

From Tara Tarini Temple, we drove back to Talcher. A trip to this part of Odisha is incomplete without a lunch in Chilika Dhaba, which is located near Barakul. A healthy dose of prawns and crabs were sufficient to quench the fire in our stomach.
Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-img_20160821_160344.jpg

Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-img20160823wa0022.jpg

Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4-img20160823wa0023.jpg

Total distance travelled: 955 km
Average FE of the trip: 13.2 km/l
Hope you guys enjoyed reading the travelogue. I am planning our next trip soon. Till then, Keep Revving!
Regards
Saubhik
DrivingNirvana is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 14:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gajapati & Ganjam districts in a Scorpio 4x4

Finally a travelogue on lesser visited spots in Orissa. Lovely log. Thanks for sharing
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 15:07   #4
BHPian

There are few places in Orissa in my list and this is definitely one of them. Thanks for sharing.
Uprasenjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 18:30   #5
Team-BHP Support

Excellent travelogue and pics DrivingNirvana. Baruva has gained popularity a lot in the recent years. Hopefully I will be able to visit the place before it becomes crowded. Thanks for sharing the travelogue.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 19:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Excellent travelogue and pics DrivingNirvana. Baruva has gained popularity a lot in the recent years. Hopefully I will be able to visit the place before it becomes crowded. Thanks for sharing the travelogue.
Thank you BlackPearl. Yes, you should visit Baruva once before it gets crowded. The place is really nice for uncoiling yourself.

Regards

Saubhik
DrivingNirvana is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks